• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Ingles walk 17-21 June 2015 . . . m

irishmancamino

Time of past OR future Camino
Summer 2013
Hello everyone,

Just wanted to share my thoughts and experiences having just completed walking the Camino Ingles yesterday.

I arrived into Ferrol on 16th June, left walking the following morning of the 17th and arrived into Santiago yesterday, June 21st.

I previously walked the Camino Frances (and Finisterre) in 2013, the Camino Portuguese in 2014 (and Muxia), so I've had a lot of experience behind me for the Ingles.

I used the invaluable Johnnie Walker CSJ Camino Ingles guide to guide me through the walk.

I will give a general breakdown of the five days, then I'll give my own impressions of the towns and highlights/lowlights/recommendations of the Ingles at the end.

Day One - Ferrol to Pontedeume

This was a long first day. Left Ferrol early in the morning knowing this. Went to look for the starting point the previous evening, down by the port. The construction site is still in operation, you'll have to look for the starting waymark outside a row of cafes.

Walker's guide is very clear on leading you out of Ferrol, yet it's important to stay alert yourself as there are several 'new' construction site areas that can confuse.

Nice leisurely walk through Naron, Neda, Fene.

I began to get a jaded as I was approaching Pontedueme, mainly due to an ongoing ascent and descent into the town. This tiredness was mainly due to the heat, as it turned out Galicia was beginning to get a heatwave.

Eventually arrived into Pontedueme, crossing the lovely bridge into the town.

Day Two - Pontedeume to Betanzos

Shorter in length than Day One, this, however, was a more challenging walk due to the many ascents and descents that you have to face.

Very sharp ascent out of Pontedeume (so stock up on a good breakfast before departing), you need to prepare yourself for many ups and downs on this particular walk to Betanzos, reward yourself with many breaks and stock up on water and energy foods.

While it is a challenging walk, you are rewarded with stunning views of Northern Galicia, a typical characteristic of the Ingles.

The heat was still a major factor on Day Two.

Day Three - Betanzos to Meson do Vento (2km from Hospital de Bruma)

Goodness me, this was a hard day! It's right up there with some of the most difficult days of walking that I've had from my extensive Camino experiences of these last 3 years.

Another sharp ascent out of Betanzos, I found the walk fine after this up to Bar Julia and then the fun began!

I had a lovely bite to eat at the new Museu Xente no Camino just outside Presedo, a beautiful stop to recharge the batteries (you'll need to). Owners are very friendly and hospitable.

I had read that the ascent after Bar Julia was tough but having such experiences walking different Caminos, I didn't worry too much about it. It was extremely tough going, not just the ascent but I was fighting against extreme heat at the same time. I thought I'd never reach the end of it! I found that last stretch, after this main ascent, very, very long.

I took a break and rest at the nice albergue in Hospital de Bruma, drinking 3 more bottles of water.

I had previously booked the Pension O Meson Novo and I was one happy pilgrim when I checked in there, having been given very clear directions how to get there by the very nice people at the albergue.

The owners at this Pension are so nice and welcoming and will make sure you're very comfortable.

Day Four - Meson do Vento to Sigueiro

I welcomed this more straightforward walk to Sigueiro.

Be it noted that you're off the Camino route in Meson do Vento, so I backtracked a little bit to walk from the Albergue in Bruma.

Lovely, lovely views of Galicia on this walk but psyche yourself up for what seemed to be a never ending straight road into Sigueiro (it felt a lot longer than the specified 4km in Johnnie's guide!).

Again, the extreme heat was a factor here. It was 32 degrees by the time I checked into my accommodation and that was lunch time!

Day Five - Siguerio to Santiago de Compostela

This was a nice, leisurely walk (and the shortest walk out of the five days) with no real problems with the terrain.

Knowing that I was returning to Santiago for the third time in as many years was a major driving factor for my enthusiasm however!

I found the directions into Santiago very clear in the guide (although I'm very familiar with the city by now). I arrived early in the morning because I didn't want to suffer in the heat again. Wonderful, wonderful feeling seeing the great cathedral again and noticing the changes in the progression of the works on the outside of the building (in comparison to exactly a year ago).

I took time out to just sit in the big court and watch the happy pilgrims all come to their respective journey's end.

Towns
Ferrol -

Ferrol has its own charm but parts of the town are quite run down and it will be nice to see all the construction works come to an end. Nice walk out of the town.
Pontedeume -
A small, compact town. Nice views of it as you cross the bridge. Not a huge amount to see and do however. The church is a pleasant building and the people were very friendly.
Betanzos -
By far my favourite town, with lots of interesting buildings and places of interest. Charming town centre. Churches very nice. Lovely park.
Meson do Vento -
Really only a small village, although it has a supermarket, pharmacy and a few cafes and ATM spots. Not much to see and do here but after this day's walk, you might be glad of the rest!
Sigueiro -
I thought a town that close to Santiago would have a lot more to offer but the town really didn't appeal to me at all.

Highlights
- The views of Galicia are so, so beautiful and the beauty of the region tries its best to inspire you during a very challenging walk at times
- I only encountered 4 pilgrims for the entire 5 days, so the Ingles seems to be a road less travelled which can be nice for those seeking a more reflective experience
- Betanzos is a very nice town to soak up and enjoy
- Once again, I found the locals very warm and friendly
- Arriving into Santiago and seeing the cathedral once again

Lowlights
- Those many ascents and descents are very challenging (even to those with previous Camino experiences) but then again, no pain, no gain!
- The heat was very extreme at times, ranging from 29-35 degrees with little wind to cool you down
- The lack of pilgrims can also be quite isolating for some

Recommendations
The Camino Ingles is a short but very challenging route. I don't think it's for the novice Camino pilgrim. My previous experiences held me in good stead on this walk.

If I were to do it again, I would break the days up a bit more, looking at Days One and Three in particular.

Johnnie Walker's guide is ESSENTIAL! Thank you Johnnie for all the hard work on this detailed guide.

Should anyone have any questions or queries on this walk, don't hesitate to ask.

Regards to everyone and Buen Camino! :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Lovely, lovely views of Galicia on this walk but psyche yourself up for what seemed to be a never ending straight road into Sigueiro (it felt a lot longer than the specified 4km in Johnnie's guide!).
I thought so too, but when I looked back at my GPS track, I can just discern a bend at around 3.5 km before it continues for another 1.5km :D.

I didn't think it would be too difficult for a novice, but it clearly has a different ambience to the CF, and perhaps the lack of other pilgrims would make it less appealing to someone new.

Congratulations @irishmancamino and thank you for your post and thoughts.
We are recently back from the Inglés and using a pedometer found that 4km was more like 5kms. The total from Meson Novo to Sigueiro was 27.5 - with the extra being in the 13.2kms rather than 11kms given between Calle de Poulo and Sigueiro itself. On the fairly level stretches we have found the measurements to be accurate, with an allowance of 10% on the steep hills for a change in step. This also makes the Ferrol-Pontedeume stretch 2kms+ longer. A fellow pilgrim said that she did not feel that her friend should walk this as a first Camino as it is very challenging. We are glad we did it (for the second time) but I would now agree with Terry, having walked both, that if you can walk the Inglés then you can walk the Primitivo. :):)
We will be posting about our time on the Inglés when we finish posting about the section from Ribadeo to San Andrés de Teixido on the Ruta do Mar. Wish this had had a guide book like Johnnie's, but we had to rely on some very poor waymarking and a list of places, some of which we never found o_O

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thank you @irishmancamino for this - it is really helpful. Having just completed the Camino Frances, I'm seriously considering walking the Ingles this Autumn. My very rough plan is to shorten day 1 by walking to Naron or Neda on arrival in Ferrol and to possibly split day 3 into two sections. However, my time constraints may not allow for this.

@Tia Valeria - thanks for your observation about the Primitivo. It's on my radar for 2016 or 2017 so it's interesting to know that the Ingles is good preparation for that particular camino.

Thank you @irishmancamino for this - it is really helpful. Having just completed the Camino Frances, I'm seriously considering walking the Ingles this Autumn. My very rough plan is to shorten day 1 by walking to Naron or Neda on arrival in Ferrol and to possibly split day 3 into two sections. However, my time constraints may not allow for this.

@Tia Valeria - thanks for your observation about the Primitivo. It's on my radar for 2016 or 2017 so it's interesting to know that the Ingles is good preparation for that particular camino.
Between Naron and Neda only is a bridge anyway if you go to the Neda albergue. So 500 meters mac. To the village of Neda is one or two kms more.Ferrol to Neda is about 14 kms so easy to do in one day .

Hello everyone,

Just wanted to share my thoughts and experiences having just completed walking the Camino Ingles yesterday.

I arrived into Ferrol on 16th June, left walking the following morning of the 17th and arrived into Santiago yesterday, June 21st.

I previously walked the Camino Frances (and Finisterre) in 2013, the Camino Portuguese in 2014 (and Muxia), so I've had a lot of experience behind me for the Ingles.

I used the invaluable Johnnie Walker CSJ Camino Ingles guide to guide me through the walk.

I will give a general breakdown of the five days, then I'll give my own impressions of the towns and highlights/lowlights/recommendations of the Ingles at the end.

This was a long first day. Left Ferrol early in the morning knowing this. Went to look for the starting point the previous evening, down by the port. The construction site is still in operation, you'll have to look for the starting waymark outside a row of cafes.

Walker's guide is very clear on leading you out of Ferrol, yet it's important to stay alert yourself as there are several 'new' construction site areas that can confuse.

I began to get a jaded as I was approaching Pontedueme, mainly due to an ongoing ascent and descent into the town. This tiredness was mainly due to the heat, as it turned out Galicia was beginning to get a heatwave.

Shorter in length than Day One, this, however, was a more challenging walk due to the many ascents and descents that you have to face.

Very sharp ascent out of Pontedeume (so stock up on a good breakfast before departing), you need to prepare yourself for many ups and downs on this particular walk to Betanzos, reward yourself with many breaks and stock up on water and energy foods.

While it is a challenging walk, you are rewarded with stunning views of Northern Galicia, a typical characteristic of the Ingles.

Goodness me, this was a hard day! It's right up there with some of the most difficult days of walking that I've had from my extensive Camino experiences of these last 3 years.

Another sharp ascent out of Betanzos, I found the walk fine after this up to Bar Julia and then the fun began!

I had a lovely bite to eat at the new Museu Xente no Camino just outside Presedo, a beautiful stop to recharge the batteries (you'll need to). Owners are very friendly and hospitable.

I had read that the ascent after Bar Julia was tough but having such experiences walking different Caminos, I didn't worry too much about it. It was extremely tough going, not just the ascent but I was fighting against extreme heat at the same time. I thought I'd never reach the end of it! I found that last stretch, after this main ascent, very, very long.

I took a break and rest at the nice albergue in Hospital de Bruma, drinking 3 more bottles of water.

I had previously booked the Pension O Meson Novo and I was one happy pilgrim when I checked in there, having been given very clear directions how to get there by the very nice people at the albergue.

The owners at this Pension are so nice and welcoming and will make sure you're very comfortable.

Be it noted that you're off the Camino route in Meson do Vento, so I backtracked a little bit to walk from the Albergue in Bruma.

Again, the extreme heat was a factor here. It was 32 degrees by the time I checked into my accommodation and that was lunch time!

This was a nice, leisurely walk (and the shortest walk out of the five days) with no real problems with the terrain.

Knowing that I was returning to Santiago for the third time in as many years was a major driving factor for my enthusiasm however!

I found the directions into Santiago very clear in the guide (although I'm very familiar with the city by now). I arrived early in the morning because I didn't want to suffer in the heat again. Wonderful, wonderful feeling seeing the great cathedral again and noticing the changes in the progression of the works on the outside of the building (in comparison to exactly a year ago).

I took time out to just sit in the big court and watch the happy pilgrims all come to their respective journey's end.

Towns
Ferrol -

Ferrol has its own charm but parts of the town are quite run down and it will be nice to see all the construction works come to an end. Nice walk out of the town.
Pontedeume -
A small, compact town. Nice views of it as you cross the bridge. Not a huge amount to see and do however. The church is a pleasant building and the people were very friendly.
Betanzos -
By far my favourite town, with lots of interesting buildings and places of interest. Charming town centre. Churches very nice. Lovely park.
Meson do Vento -
Really only a small village, although it has a supermarket, pharmacy and a few cafes and ATM spots. Not much to see and do here but after this day's walk, you might be glad of the rest!
Sigueiro -
I thought a town that close to Santiago would have a lot more to offer but the town really didn't appeal to me at all.

Highlights
- The views of Galicia are so, so beautiful and the beauty of the region tries its best to inspire you during a very challenging walk at times
- I only encountered 4 pilgrims for the entire 5 days, so the Ingles seems to be a road less travelled which can be nice for those seeking a more reflective experience

Lowlights
- Those many ascents and descents are very challenging (even to those with previous Camino experiences) but then again, no pain, no gain!
- The heat was very extreme at times, ranging from 29-35 degrees with little wind to cool you down

Recommendations
The Camino Ingles is a short but very challenging route. I don't think it's for the novice Camino pilgrim. My previous experiences held me in good stead on this walk.

If I were to do it again, I would break the days up a bit more, looking at Days One and Three in particular.

Johnnie Walker's guide is ESSENTIAL! Thank you Johnnie for all the hard work on this detailed guide.

Should anyone have any questions or queries on this walk, don't hesitate to ask.

Being at Bar Julio you can give o Meson do Vento a call and they pick you up .
Next morning they take you back to Julia's and without backpack make the decsent and stay another night at their place . That is not a punishment the parents of Antonio will treat you well ,cooking a nice meal for you. Great place.
There is no need to walk back to Bruma to continue to Sigueiro. Antonio points you the way out and after 3 kms from them you find the waymarkers back direction Santiago. In kms it is not really a detour.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hola - I'm on the route right now! Very beautiful. I will measure the long stretch outside of Sigueiro again - however I have done this a number of times before and I believe the distance from the start of the straight section to the bus stop and shelter before the Televes building is indeed 4 kms - I'm sorry I can't make it shorter!

Attachments

• DSC_0850.JPG
    DSC_0850.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 7
Between Naron and Neda only is a bridge anyway if you go to the Neda albergue. So 500 meters mac. To the village of Neda is one or two kms more.Ferrol to Neda is about 14 kms so easy to do in one day .
Thanks @Albertinho, that's good to know. If I can get to Ferrol by early afternoon I would like make a start on the walk, rather than staying overnight in the city.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
That's a really great review. Great to read there is a new bar on the Betanzos - Bruma / Meson do Vento stage. When I walked the Ingles, Bar Julia was shut and in driving rain / sleet and strong wind, that was also the toughest day I had on any Camino and possibly any hike I have done anywhere.

You're spot on in that is is a far more challenging Camino than the Frances from Sarria, but it is also a very beautiful one.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hola Johnnie. Buen Camino. One other point to check if you have the guide book with you is that we thought there was a missing sentence at/near the end of one paragraph. After Leiro:- a missing L, R, L. The other difficult point around here was maybe a missing arrow just after the turning to the albergue at Presedo where we had to look around for the next sign.
As you have probably seen the 'biggest yellow arrow' on the Camino has been moved :( or is hidden by the greenery.
{Edit - the sello of Santiago on his horse is now in the church opposite the tourist office in Betanzos}

Last edited:
The cook at the new cafe-bar is Julia's sister-in-law :)

Thank you for this post irishmancamino. We have booked a flight to and from Santiago with a view to walking the Camino Ingles. Are there places to stay in between towns as these distances are long. thank you.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
@backiej - irishmancamino may have some other suggestions but here is the list of places we stayed. We did not use albergues this time.
Ferrol - (Hotel Almendra) others also listed in Johnnie's guide, which is true of other stages too.
Narón (Hotel Kensington) or albergue at Neda.
Cabañas (Hotel Iberia) or Pontedeume hotel/habitaciones or albergue.
Miño (Pension O Cantiño, new phone number 636 585 348) or albergue.
Betanzos (Hotel Garelos) other habitaciones or albergue. (Note that the Hotel Palacete Betanzos is closed down at this time)
Meson Novo 2 nights to split Casa Julia stage, or 1 night and then Bruma albergue
Ordes (Nogallas ll) splits Bruma to Sigueiro
Sigueiro (Hostal Sigueiro or its habitaciones in the nearby old hostal)
Santiago.

If you don't already have it there are other suggestions in Johnnie Walker's guide which @irishmancamino mentions.
Buen Camino

Thank you for the description. I have done the Ingles twice and you brought back pleasant memories.

My first one was quite difficult on the knees because of the terrain. I trained on hills for the second time and it was a piece of cake :)

Again, thank you for the memories.

@backiej - Hi,

I stayed in these places; mostly public albergue. Paid between 5-6 eruos

Ferrol – Neda 12 kms (@Hostel Of Neda with kitchen(stove)
Neda - Pontedeume 13 km (@Albergue Municipal de Pontedeume)
Pontedeume – Betanzos 20 kms (@Hostel Casa da Fish Betanzos with kitchen(microwave)
Betanzos – Presedo 12 km (@Hostel Presedo - a beautiful newly opened restaurant named Museo Meson, about 400 meters from the albergue
Presedo – Hospital de Bruma 16 Kms (@Hostel of Bruma with kitchen(stove)
Hospital de Bruma – Sigüeiro 24 kms (PRIVATE @Albergue de Delia with kitchen(stove) and free to take and eat what they have in ref/kitchen.
Sigüeiro – Santiago de Compostela 16 kms Thru AirBnB

Buen Camino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Photos of the albergue

NedaIMG_1852.JPG
pontedeume IMG_2313.JPG
betanzos20150506_141912.jpg
bruma20150508_132220.jpg

Hello everyone,

Towns
Ferrol -

Pontedeume -
Betanzos -
Meson do Vento -
Sigueiro -

Highlights

Lowlights

Recommendations

Walked camino ingles may 2014. Bused from Santiago am and walked back in 4 days. I crossed railed bridge at neda and last 40 from hospital to Santiago in 8 hours. I was super fit having walked from Irun via Primitivo. It's very easy camino and bar Julia was open. Not my most memorable camino. Dull and smell from sea not good as you leave Ferrol

I worry when people say that this is an easy Camino. Please don't take this as a criticism, it may be easy for a few,but many do find it very challenging. We did not find it easy, in spite of our training, last time and again this time too. A fellow pilgrim was going to advise her friend not to walk it as a first Camino as it is not an 'easy' one, which the friend needed. In many ways, having walked both, it is harder than the Primitivo. It is memorable in its own way and the walk round the ría, which is missed by crossing the bridge, is one part we will remember well. Having just completed posting about our time on the Camino do Mar (Ribadeo to San Andrés de Teixido) we are sorting our thoughts and photos to post about the Inglés - May 21st to 31st 2015. We took time to look around for this our final Camino. :)

Walked camino ingles may 2014. Bused from Santiago am and walked back in 4 days. I crossed railed bridge at neda and last 40 from hospital to Santiago in 8 hours. I was super fit having walked from Irun via Primitivo. It's very easy camino and bar Julia was open. Not my most memorable camino. Dull and smell from sea not good as you leave Ferrol

I admire anyone who can walk 40 kilometers straight at 5 kilometers an hour!!! For us lesser mortals I think that the OP got it right with the recommendation:-

Blessings
Tio Tel

Hello everyone,

Towns
Ferrol -

Pontedeume -
Betanzos -
Meson do Vento -
Sigueiro -

Highlights

Lowlights

Recommendations

Excellent report, just back last Saturday after doing it. Our thoughts are the same (so no need for big reply).

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
HI ALL I am 6611/12 I completed Ingles 29thMay-4th June this year with 5 other similar ladies .We'd done Camino Frances Sarria- Santiago last September and wanted to have that inner experience again.Iam an experienced mountain walker from Scotland, although I've now downsized my mountains and only do low level walks of~7-8miles once a month.I am sad to say a smoker.a true nicotine addict,my friends aren't. After last years walk we all did a 10 mile walk end March which involved 500 metre ascent,then we each had to do 3 ,5 mile walks 1 each month and 2miles most days 2 weeksbefore we left.Ihope this is helpful to others.
DAY1 Ferrol-Naron beautiful walk and relatively easy ,stunning views round the bay.We had a super lunch at IMariscador[even though kitchen was closed] at the end of the industrial estate outside Ferrol.We stayed at Hotel Kensington can recommend it and they do lovely dinners,if you breakfast there miss toast it's too crisp go for croissantMy pedometer measured9.11miles.
Day2 Naron-PONTEDEUME Another scenic day although cooler and fine rain pm.We had a good lunch at the motorway cafeVilar do Colo and on to Pontedeume.We hadn't been able to get accomodation there so had bookedCasa Muralles,and got taxis there.It was very olde worlde refurbished & superb jet power showers.Also superb dinner7 BREAKFAST' 9.9 miles
Dy 3 Pontedeume- Betanzos
After heavy overnight rain it was dry.We taxied toPontedeume and started the 1st uphill of the day,today was undulations day Ireckon it was all uphills It got warm ~20C.and we all found it strenuous but doable.Alocal insisted on taking us to Hotel Garelos.,they don't serve dinner but recommended a restaurant.They do a good breakffast.13.03 miles
Day 4Betanzos-Meson Nqvo
We got water& BANANAS as we left hoping to find another supermarket before we left the town but didn't.It was hot and got hotter as the day progressed,we took plenty stops& the pace wasvery slow.Scenery still beautiful ,lush rolling countryside.We were very low on water when we came across the newly openedMeson MuseoXente No Camino a veritable oasis.We stopped here for food& drinks &topped up on water.It was 3 pm& I decided to go on ,the others having decided only to go as far as CasaBar Julia & taxi from there.Imade good progress although taking plenty rests,the scenery was beautiful across the valley & forests, & many hamlets.The uphills were'nt as bad as I THOUGHT.Ireached the road end at 7.15 pm 16.91 miles,the previous days were longer than J.W's todays welcomingly shorter,Istill felt good &could have walked to Meson Novo but didn't wany to show off so phoned them to collect me.Good dinner of Tapas and lovely draught beer
Day 5 Meson novo- Siqueirio.
After breakfast at Meson Novo,set off it got hot ~25c in pm,not very scenic&the long flat stretch is truly a slog& boring,we passed it by dodging from tree to tree to get out the sun14.03 miles.We got picked up at Siqueirio to stay @ Hotel San Vicente,beautiful gardens swimming pool[not open for season],superb dinner and good breakfast.14.03 miles
Day 6 Siqueirio- Santiago
Got dropped back to Siqueirio walked uphill then descend to San Vicente ,very scenic,after this it was more industrial and was ver hot~30 c @ 2pm
However end in sight we reached Cathedral@1.15
In my opinion it was a bit harder than last year& a lot quieter more roads than tracks but still so fulfilling We had our bags transported withJaco Trans.Iam pondering whether to do more any suggestions welcome

Most read last week in this forum

So, I managed to lose my lovely Tilley hat. Left behind I think, in a shop in Cambre. Going back for it not an option as the place is closed today, Sunday. Am I destined to arrive in Santiago...
Beautiful walking weather on the Camino Ingles today

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.