• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino ingles

glen55

I am planning to walk the Camino Ingles at the end of May. I am looking at 6 days
Ferrol - Pontedeume 25 Kms
Pontedeume - Betanzos - 20 kms
Betanzos - Bar Julia - 18 kms (pick up to meson Vento)
Bar Julia - Hospital de Bruma - 11 kms (ncie short day)
Hosptial de Bruma - Sigueiro 24 kms
Sigueiro - Santiago - 16 kms

I have used John Walkers guide and this seems to be possible, however the distances seem to be different when looking at the 'Mundicamino' site - the first day being nearer 30 kms.

Before I book accomodation I am keen to find out the correct distances from someone who has dome it. I have walked the last 120 miles of the camino de Santiago a couple of years ago and it seemed much easier to sort.
Also has anyone found out where to get a map of the walk?
Looking forward to some answers from anyone who has already walked this route.
Glen

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Mundicamino needs a proofreader for Ferrol to Mino. The text says 39.9 km, but the Profile says 24 km. Google Maps walking directions say 23.3 or 24.7 km, depending on your precise route. By the way, using Google Maps for directions between points is very handy if you select the "walker" icon. It won't track a Camino particularly, and you are not guaranteed sidewalks or paths, but it is a good double check on other sources. The waymarks (yellow arrows, blue swirls, or GR red/white) are the best guidance when actually walking.

Hola

The Ferrol to Pontedeume distance in the guide is correct. I was puzzled myself by different estimates but having walked it four of five times now I have settled on what is given.

I see you are using the pick up service from Meson do Vento. I think this really makes this route accessible. And you can also work out other alternatives. I am walking the route myself in a couple of weeks with a friend who hasn't done much serious or serial walking before. This is the itinerary:

4 May – Arrive Ferrol.
5 May – Ferrol – Pontedueme 25 kms
6 May – Pontedeume – Betanzos 20 kms
Get picked up in Betanzos and taken to Meson do Vento to sleep returning next morning without rucksacks – take packed lunch
7 May – Betanzos – Bar Julia 18kms
Get picked up at Bar Julia and go to Meson do Vento to sleep returning the next morning without rucksacks
8 May - Bar Julia – Calle de Poulo – 24 kms
Get picked up at the Bar Cruceiro and taken back to Meson do Vento to sleep returning the next morning
9 May - Calle de Poulo – Santiago 27 kms

The final day looks long but remember it is an easy, flat stretch mostly.

Best wishes

John

Having recently done the Camino Ingles I agree with Johnny Walker's distances - the Betanzos - H da Bruma stage is the longest and hardest - a stiff climb after San Tome de Vilacoba. Day 2 has some uphill sections, too, notably after Mino.Bar Julia was closed when I passed, unfortunately, as it's ideal for a pit stop before the long uphill trek, but no doubt you will be phoning ahead.
If you follow J W's directions you won't need a map.
Buen camino.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Just an anecdotal comment: I did the CI in August 2010. I thought it was hard work the whole way, but my "easiest" day in retrospect seemed to be the Betanzos to Meson do Vento leg (did it in one day). I did not use any relays -- walked the whole way.

daesdaemar said:
Just an anecdotal comment: I did the CI in August 2010. I thought it was hard work the whole way, but my "easiest" day in retrospect seemed to be the Betanzos to Meson do Vento leg (did it in one day). I did not use any relays -- walked the whole way.

Good for you mate, I'm doing it at the beginning of 2012 and I want to walk it every inch of the way too! I'll be 63 in July and although I'm no athlete I consider myself capable of completing it, if it takes a slightly longer time than the majority of walkers then so be it! When I was younger I spent a lot of time tabbing around the Brecon Beacons in Wales with a big pack, {and an even bigger sergeant } shouting sweet nothings at me :D! At least this time it will be a bit more peaceful and hopefully it will be bluebirds and not blue words I'll be hearing :roll: ! I'm the sort who's happy with his own company, good job really because I can snore for England and so I hope to sleep out every night, if only for the sake of other pilgrims getting a good night's sleep! I retired early because of health issues at the time although these have been mainly resolved now! I'm lucky in the fact that I live in Brighton and have the South Downs on my doorstep and I can leave home and be walking on the Downs within about twenty minutes. I've started with two or three hours a day, two or three times a week and hope to build up gradually to more or less full days two or three times a week! I'm also gradually increasing the weight of my rucksack over the next few months and will do a few walks over the winter to keep myself from sliding back to couch potato status over the winter months 8)

snerper said:
daesdaemar said:

Good for you mate, I'm doing it at the beginning of 2012 and I want to walk it every inch of the way too! I'll be 63 in July and although I'm no athlete I consider myself capable of completing it, if it takes a slightly longer time than the majority of walkers then so be it! When I was younger I spent a lot of time tabbing around the Brecon Beacons in Wales with a big pack, {and an even bigger sergeant } shouting sweet nothings at me :D! At least this time it will be a bit more peaceful and hopefully it will be bluebirds and not blue words I'll be hearing :roll: ! I'm the sort who's happy with his own company, good job really because I can snore for England and so I hope to sleep out every night, if only for the sake of other pilgrims getting a good night's sleep! I retired early because of health issues at the time although these have been mainly resolved now! I'm lucky in the fact that I live in Brighton and have the South Downs on my doorstep and I can leave home and be walking on the Downs within about twenty minutes. I've started with two or three hours a day, two or three times a week and hope to build up gradually to more or less full days two or three times a week! I'm also gradually increasing the weight of my rucksack over the next few months and will do a few walks over the winter to keep myself from sliding back to couch potato status over the winter months 8)

Welcome Snerper - you young whippersnapper, a year younger than me. For you baby, no problem. :wink:

You may find it difficult to sleep out on the first and last days because it's a bit built up. If you use the refugios, you may meet fascinating people there. But yes snoring is an issue. I know. I have been told to use earplugs myself, but to shove them up my nose.

Buen camino

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
snerper said:
Good for you mate, I'm doing it at the beginning of 2012 and I want to walk it every inch of the way too! I'll be 63 in July and although I'm no athlete I consider myself capable of completing it, if it takes a slightly longer time than the majority of walkers then so be it! ............
.........I've started with two or three hours a day, two or three times a week and hope to build up gradually to more or less full days two or three times a week! I'm also gradually increasing the weight of my rucksack over the next few months and will do a few walks over the winter to keep myself from sliding back to couch potato status over the winter months 8)
Welcome to the Forum Snerper. We too plan to walk very shortly without relays. I am nearly the same age as yourself and Terry is a bit older. We have trained in the same way as you are doing as it worked fine for Terry in 2009.
We plan to take as long as needed in stages of about 16km, with a slight deviation to break the long 32km stretch after Betanzos. We'll be posting about how it goes when we get back. Good luck with the training and Buen Camino when it comes
Tio Tel and Tia Valeria

snerper said:
daesdaemar said:

Nice to meet you snerper. I am sure you will do well and have a great time. I am not sure about "sleeping out" but be aware that there are decent alternate lodging arrangements on this route other than the albergues. You should be able to get your own room each night and snore away to your heart's content! :D

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, finally plans for Camino Ingles become real, some accomodations, booked already, checking flights, etc..., starting 02june :) We are taking it slow, 8 days on the road, below are our stages...
We lost a set of black Leki trekking poles today between Ferrol and Neda just past the Monastario de San Martino. We sat down for a rest near the top of the hill amidst the houses. The poles were...
On one of the FB forums, someone asked about detouring to Fragas do Eume, just outside of Pontedeume, and it looks amazing. Since I'm splitting up Ferrol - Pontedeume into two days (taking the...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back