• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Ingles

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Does anyone have any information on this walk?
There is a great deal of information in the Gronze guide to the route. Lists of accommodation, elevation profiles, route descriptions and so on. Could you be more specific about the information you are looking for?

I'm thinking of doing it around Easter...so wondering how busy and also as it would be my first time if the accomadation is available at that time? But thanks I'll check out the website. GD.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The Xunta albergues are open all year round. Gronze lists the opening periods for some other accommodation - others you may have to contact directly. Most pilgrim accommodation reopens at Easter. The Camino Ingles is a much quieter route than the Camino Frances but there is also less accommodation available. At peak times there can be pressure on accommodation. If you are walking around Easter - a busy time - then you might consider reserving beds in advance. That is not possible in the Xunta albergues.

There is a whole section of the forum about the Camino Ingles. The thread will be moved to that section. If you click on the words 'Camino Ingles' above your title (of the same name), you will see many threads.

Also i know its not busy but how would it be doing it alone? I'm 71 years and don't speak spanish!?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Yes.

There is sufficient accommodation generally but not an excess. The route is not so ‘touristy’ as the Frances. Whilst some basic Spanish would improve your experience it’s not ‘necessary’ just advisable.

Although I’d say it’s my favourite route - and much preferred to the Frances - the period around Easter might see difficulties with accommodation.

Also i know its not busy but how would it be doing it alone? I'm 71 years and don't speak spanish!?
It was my first Camino experience, I went alone and I love it. I listened to a learning Spanish book on Audible so I had a few phrases down. I found that for the most part that if you try Spanish most people will work with you ( this is true for most countries and their languages based on my limited experience). On my trip I only met Spaniards with one exception, someone from Rome. And there are a couple of fellow pilgrims I still keep in touch with. Try and make reservations for meals. But if you don't most restaurants will squeeze you in if you arrive early (before dinner service) and have a glass of wine. And when you are going to Bruma or Meson de Vento make sure you stop at Casa Avelina.

It was my first Camino experience, I went alone and I love it. I listened to a learning Spanish book on Audible so I had a few phrases down. I found that for the most part that if you try Spanish most people will work with you ( this is true for most countries and their languages based on my limited experience). On my trip I only met Spaniards with one exception, someone from Rome. And there are a couple of fellow pilgrims I still keep in touch with. Try and make reservations for meals. But if you don't most restaurants will squeeze you in if you arrive early (before dinner service) and have a glass of wine. And when you are going to Bruma or Meson de Vento make sure you stop at Casa Avelina.
Bill, when are you walking el ingles? I am 73 and planing for a May walk.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Go for it. Look for Susan Jagannath’s book on Amazon that has details of the trip. I did some it last week using hostels instead of albergues and it was interesting. I’m 73 years old.

I'm thinking of doing it around Easter...so wondering how busy and also as it would be my first time if the accomadation is available at that time? But thanks I'll check out the website. GD.
I walked from Ferrol, the only problem I had was because I was following a group of 16 who soaked up some of the accommodation options. But I always found an alternative.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Loved casa Avelina

Is the Camino Ingles a pleasant walk in mid-October-early November? Or is this route too cold and rainy? Thank you.

Hard to say if it is too cold and rainy, it may be for some and for others maybe not? It is located in the far north-west which generally is the more chilly and moist corner of Spain.

I walked it in August last year and I did run into some wet and chilly days. Personally, I would not walk it in October/November, but that’s just me - I like warm weather :)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I know others have already given tips regarding resources. If you are slightly apprehensive regarding the first stage from Ferrol to Pontdeume because it is about 30km spend the first night in the town of Neda.

Hi I'm doing this walk this week from A Coruna. II travel on Tuesday, have one day to explore A Coruna and start walking on Wednesday to be in Santiago on Sunday. What do you need to know?

I start from Ferrol on Palm Sunday and I have booked reasonably priced hotels in Ferrol, Pontedeume and Betzanos, private albergue in Bruma and Siguero and in Santiago. I felt on 1st Camino and also Holy week it was best to secure accommodation in advance.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The way is very flat to Pontdeume so I did not find it difficult. There is a nice Albergue in Neda so that is an option.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I am at Hospital de Bruma after 3 day tomorrow Siguero and on to Santiago Thursday. I am not a hiker the hills have challenged since Pontedeume are tough but leave early head down plenty of water it can be done. My next camino will not be the Ingles. Not many English people at present. One thing is blister prevention and care terrain is rough between Betanzos and Bruma

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I posted last week (Live- On the Camino Ingles) it was super busy because of Easter, I’m told it’s already quitening down. Definitely ease into it, stop first day in Neda, and even consider stopping off stage - I.e, shorter days if you are concerned. Although I think if you do as suggested above and listen to your body, take it easy with plenty of breaks - and water!! - you’ll be fine. If you have accommodation booked, you have no real deadlines. And no, you won’t be alone! I’m a Kiwi, speak just a couple of words of Spanish and had no issues. Made German, Portuguese, Dutch, Spanish, Palestinian and Danish friends - because they All spoke English as a second language. (Although I also speak German, it wasn’t necessary)Also met many other lovely people. If you look for other Camino Ingles threads, there are several with people leaving soon. Oh, I’m 59, the oldest person I met was 83…..
Buen Camino 🇳🇿

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
They say that Ferrol to Pontedueme is 30km but Brierly’s book describes shorter optional routes of about 20km. What to people think of that?

Yes, you can take options to shorten the day. But unless you are on a time hook, then why cut a short Camino shorter?

I'm doing it in September but I'm stopping in Neda, adding a day. But hey, it's a short amino.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
They say that Ferrol to Pontedueme is 30km but Brierly’s book describes shorter optional routes of about 20km. What to people think of that?
It is - a bit over with the variant shortly before Neda, which I recommend- and definitely viable - I’m not overly fit and I comfortably did it in one day ( because of time constraints - but I have to say I didn’t feel ready to stop at Neda). But others I met spent the morning exploring Ferrol, then strolled to Neda in the afternoon as a gentle intro to the week. Seemed imminently sensible to me, hence why I recommended it ( above). And as David says above, why make a short Camino shorter? 🇳🇿

It is - a bit over with the variant shortly before Neda, which I recommend- and definitely viable - I’m not overly fit and I comfortably did it in one day ( because of time constraints - but I have to say I didn’t feel ready to stop at Neda). But others I met spent the morning exploring Ferrol, then strolled to Neda in the afternoon as a gentle intro to the week. Seemed imminently sensible to me, hence why I recommended it ( above). And as David says above, why make a short Camino shorter? 🇳🇿
Then stroll to Miño, a short easy walk, and go to the beach, or eat lunch at a beachside restaurant. Miño was my “easing in after Covid” stop after Neda, halfway to Pontedeume, after which the walking gets real very quickly.
All the best,
Paul

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, finally plans for Camino Ingles become real, some accomodations, booked already, checking flights, etc..., starting 02june :) We are taking it slow, 8 days on the road, below are our stages...
We lost a set of black Leki trekking poles today between Ferrol and Neda just past the Monastario de San Martino. We sat down for a rest near the top of the hill amidst the houses. The poles were...
On one of the FB forums, someone asked about detouring to Fragas do Eume, just outside of Pontedeume, and it looks amazing. Since I'm splitting up Ferrol - Pontedeume into two days (taking the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.