Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Inverno to Via de la Plata

jay feick

Time of past OR future Camino
No caminos. Hiked Jesus Trail in Israel in 2013.
Camino Portuguese & Inglese 5/18
We are starting our pilgram walk on the Camino Inverno at Cantada on May 16th then meeting up with the Via deLa Plata and then on to Santiago. Has anyone walked this route and can you tell me about it please?
Thank You, Jay

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
We are starting our pilgram walk on the Camino Inverno at Cantada on May 16th then meeting up with the Via deLa Plata and then on to Santiago. Has anyone walked this route and can you tell me about it please?
Thank You, Jay
Hi, Jay,

Many of us on this forum did Invierno.
But most possibly you mean to start in Chantada (not Cantada) and Invierno connects with Camino Sanabres branch of VdlP (official VdlP goes to Astorga) in A Laxe. As I remember that albergue is temporarily closed so better stay overnight in Lalin. Oh, I see now you are going next year so I guess it will be opened by then.
You can find a lot of info in Invierno subforum (scroll down the main page) and also a downloadable guidebook from Resources section (look at the upper side of the main page, third from the left - Camino Resources).

Buen Camino Invierno :)

Hi, Jay,

Many of us on this forum did Invierno.
But most possibly you mean to start in Chantada (not Cantada) and Invierno connects with Camino Sanabres branch of VdlP (official VdlP goes to Astorga) in A Laxe. As I remember that albergue is temporarily closed so better stay overnight in Lalin. Oh, I see now you are going next year so I guess it will be opened by then.
You can find a lot of info in Invierno subforum (scroll down the main page) and also a downloadable guidebook from Resources section (look at the upper side of the main page, third from the left - Camino Resources).

Buen Camino Invierno :)
Great, thank you. Jay

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi, Jay,
Yes, let me add to Kinky's comment that we are a most loyal Camino de Invierno bunch here on the forum, and the guide he describes is a group project that we enjoy doing very much.

Just in case this is important to you, I want tomake sure you know that if you start in Chantada, you will not qualifiy for the Compostela. I don't know whether that is important to you or not, but thought you should know that Monforte de Lemos (about 30 km earlier) is the minimum distance from Santiago for the compostela.

After you've looked through the guide and the subforum, please let us know if you have questions and you can be sure several of us will be quick to respond. Buen camino, Laurie

Hi, Jay,
Yes, let me add to Kinky's comment that we are a most loyal Camino de Invierno bunch here on the forum, and the guide he describes is a group project that we enjoy doing very much.

Just in case this is important to you, I want tomake sure you know that if you start in Chantada, you will not qualifiy for the Compostela. I don't know whether that is important to you or not, but thought you should know that Monforte de Lemos (about 30 km earlier) is the minimum distance from Santiago for the compostela.

After you've looked through the guide and the subforum, please let us know if you have questions and you can be sure several of us will be quick to respond. Buen camino, Laurie
Thank you Laurie. Our biggest question is what is the typical or average rainfall and high low temperatures for this portion of the Invierno? We are trying to compare this route to the Camino Inglese or Finisterra Muxie so would really appreciate any feedback and recommendations from experience pilgrims. Jay

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
In the second half of May there's very much chance that you will have sunny/hot days and chilly nights/mornings. But it's Galicia and it is the most rainy part of Spain. The Atlantic Ocean is quite close and weather can change quickly.

http://www.caminodesantiagotiempo.com/caminosanabres/index.htm (for Sanabres)
Thank you, by way of background we are hiking Porto to Santiago the first 14 days in May and we will have another 14 days before we fly home to CA sooo we are trying to figure out what to do those last 14 days.
We are open to all suggestions keeping in mind that I'm 72 and have nothing to prove and I do not need a difficult challenge.
We do not particularly need another ending in Santiago and if we need to take a bus or train to a new start point that's fine.
Lastly, can you tell me how the Camino Inglese and the Finisterra Muxie climates compare to Monforte to Santiago climate wise?
Thanks so much for your kindness, patience and willingness to share your experience.
Jay

Thank you, by way of background we are hiking Porto to Santiago the first 14 days in May and we will have another 14 days before we fly home to CA sooo we are trying to figure out what to do those last 14 days.
We are open to all suggestions keeping in mind that I'm 72 and have nothing to prove and I do not need a difficult challenge.
We do not particularly need another ending in Santiago and if we need to take a bus or train to a new start point that's fine.
Lastly, can you tell me how the Camino Inglese and the Finisterra Muxie climates compare to Monforte to Santiago climate wise?
Thanks so much for your kindness, patience and willingness to share your experience.
Jay
No problem, Jay :)

I have walked all of them that you are interesting in. But have to admit I had a beautiful and sunny (yes, hot too) weather. But you never know in Galicia.

To complete Invierno from Ponferrada (!!!) is quite possible in two weeks but until it hits Sanabres you don't have much of a wiggle about the albergues. Pensiones, B&B's & Hostales are everywhere of course. Although I'm really an Invierno fan, Ingles could be much easier (with extension to Fisterra/Muxia, of course). Terrain wise and you can also make very short stages if you want on Ingles.

Or if you start in Monforte de Lemos (very good train connections with Santiago after your Portugues and also for qualifying for Compostela, don't forget the spa's in Ourense!!!) you shave off approx.3-4days. Which still gives you some time either to walk or bus to Fisterra/Muxia. I would encourage you to walk there, but it's your walk ;)

Hope that helps!

I just have to add this.

Walk Invierno before it gets too crowded. From Ponferrada (easily accessible from SdC). That will be a memory of a lifetime, I'm sure. Ingles is already quite crowded. Maybe you will need some quiet time after Porto to Santiago which will be packed with pilgrims?
If not then go for Ingles+Fisterra/Muxia.

Anyway Buen Camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thank you Laurie. Our biggest question is what is the typical or average rainfall and high low temperatures for this portion of the Invierno? We are trying to compare this route to the Camino Inglese or Finisterra Muxie so would really appreciate any feedback and recommendations from experience pilgrims. Jay
Www.weatherspark.com can help you answer those questions. All these areas you are considering are really close to each other, so the weather is not likely to differ much from one place to the next. The only Camino with very different weather I have walked is VDLP. Norte, Frances, Primitivo, all the same.

• I just have to add this.

Walk Invierno before it gets too crowded. From Ponferrada (easily accessible from SdC). That will be a memory of a lifetime, I'm sure. Ingles is already quite crowded. Maybe you will need some quiet time after Porto to Santiago which will be packed with pilgrims?
    If not then go for Ingles+Fisterra/Muxia.

Anyway Buen Camino!

Ok, I agree Invierno is the route we want but I think we want to limit it to 7 days. What do you know to be the best 7 days on the Invierno? We don't care where we start or finish as we'll get transportation from Santiago to get there and then to wherever we decide to go at the end of day 7.
    Thanks so much. Jay

Www.weatherspark.com can help you answer those questions. All these areas you are considering are really close to each other, so the weather is not likely to differ much from one place to the next. The only Camino with very different weather I have walked is VDLP. Norte, Frances, Primitivo, all the same.

Great weather link. Thanks a lot! J

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

• Ok, I agree Invierno is the route we want but I think we want to limit it to 7 days. What do you know to be the best 7 days on the Invierno? We don't care where we start or finish as we'll get transportation from Santiago to get there and then to wherever we decide to go at the end of day 7.
    Thanks so much. Jay
By the way I forgot to ask exactly what you meant by "before it gets too late". Too late in the year or before it gets too we'll know or?? Thanks. J

...What do you know to be the best 7 days on the Invierno? We don't care where we start or finish as we'll get transportation from Santiago to get there and then to wherever we decide to go at the end of day 7. ..
Sorry, Jay, all of the Invierno is "the best" and I would never ever advise anyone to skip a stage because of time constraints!

That's completely up to you. For me it's the route in its whole length that "counts" and give me (a loooooooong Camino that is) feel that I really was out there and being able to talk to myself. OK, that's maybe kind of too personal but...

Just look at different official sites, guidebook on the forum, our posts and then calculate what your desired daily stages would be. Easy...

Hope you'll enjoy this beautiful route!

Hi, Jay,

Laurie, thank you. I'm not seeing where I can download the new Camino Invierno guide. Can you please direct me? Also, if you don't mind please tell me, if you know, how we could get from Santiago to Ponferrada and how much time should we allow for that travel?
Thanks, Jay Feick

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
...Also, if you don't mind please tell me, if you know, how we could get from Santiago to Ponferrada and how much time should we allow for that travel?
Thanks, Jay Feick
Plenty of regular train and bus service between the two:
https://www.rome2rio.com/s/Santiago-de-Compostela/Ponferrada
Prices and length varies depending on type of the train, number of stops etc. All the details if you hit one of the transportation options and then you can find the right journey for preferred day. This site will also redirect you to either Renfe (Spanish RR) or one of the bus sites.

Plenty of regular train and bus service between the two:
https://www.rome2rio.com/s/Santiago-de-Compostela/Ponferrada
Prices and length varies depending on type of the train, number of stops etc. All the details if you hit one of the transportation options and then you can find the right journey for preferred day. This site will also redirect you to either Renfe (Spanish RR) or one of the bus sites.
You are sooooo helpful. Thank you kindly. Jay

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back