Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Invierno - an official route?

anniethenurse

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances.Vasco del Interior.Camino Finisterre& Muxia. Camino Portugues. Ruta del Ebro.
Does anyone know if the Camino Invierno is recognized as an official route nowadays? - What does the Church and the Pilgrim´s Office say? Just wondering...
annie

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Annie - if you look through previous posts under "Camino Invierno to be official route" you will see that John confirmed that the route is accepted by the Pilgrim's Office, that they have leaflets in the office, and that the starting place for the 100km is Monforte de Lemos and not Chantada although they were looking at the other variant as well.

it shouldn't matter to the pilgrim office, let alone the Church, what route you take. You can make up your own route to Santiago.

The 'official' routes are those supported by the Xunta/Xacobeo, the Galician government. They did declare the Invierno as one, but have now run out of budget, so cynics like me suspect it may be the next Holy Year before anything much happens.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
That's what John Walker reported on in April.

It is walking the last 100 kms (with sello evidence) which is important not whether a waymarked route is followed. The Pilgrims Office is firm that the starting point for the last 100 kms of the Invierno route as they know it is Montforte de Lemos as walking direct from Chantada is much less.

and

Entitlement to the Compostela is related to the distance travelled rather than the route taken - although clearly common sense must prevail and to reduce this to the absurd someone, for example, who walked in a 20 kms circle ouside the boundary of Santiago 5 times before entering the city wouldn´t get the Compostela!

When I walked the Invierno last summer, I made a point of asking people along the way about the debate over the route's "authenticity." For one thing, they told me, it's important to keep the distinction between the Jacobeo association and the church. My impression is that the church, or the arzobisprado, or whatever religious administration is in charge, is agnostic about the issue. The battle seems to be a political one -- power and dollars are at stake, and so it involves elected officials and business interests. The way has been officially marked by the government of Castilla and Leon -- there are standard granite mojones all the way from Ponferrada to Puente de Domingo Florez, where Galicia begins. From that point on, there's a wide variety of markings, much of it done by local friends associations.

If you read Spanish and are interested in the historical background, you can google Aida Menendez Camino Invierno and you will see the evidence.

But I can confirm that no one in the Pilgrim's office bats an eye at a credencial filled with stamps from the Camino de Invierno. I don't know that they have the "100 km starting point" figured out, but I don't think that's an issue for most people on this forum who will be walking it. If you start in Ponferrada, there's no question.

Mundicamino lists a Camino de Invierno, which is good enough for me!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

Day 1: Ponferrada to Villavieja As usual, life has a habit of changing plans so we found ourselves on the Invierno a month later than expected. Regardless though, we are happy to finally get...
If I leave Ponferrada early enough to arrive in Villavieja and spend some time at the castle Cornatel, can I leave the next day, spend some meaningful time beholding las Medulas and Orellan, and...
Hi all - a question for all you Invierno experts: We are starting the Invierno (finally!) tomorrow, but there’s a slight issue with our plan. My partner needs to be present for a work Zoom...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back