Camino Invierno in winter

Sophie Luise

Time of past OR future Camino
C. Francés ('15)
Vía de la Plata ('16)
C. Portugués ('17)
C. de Invierno ('18)
C. del Norte ('18)
I'm thinking about walking the Camino Invierno in February and I have a few questions:
Are there enough albergues or other affordable places to sleep this time of the year?
What do you think the weather will be like? Should I expect snow?
How many days would you recommend (starting in Ponferrada)?
Any recommendations what kind of clothes and other gear to bring (compared to a summer Camino)?

I'm thankful for any kind of advice!! :)

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi, Sophie, Welcome to the Forum! We have a happy little band of Invierno veterans who are always quick to jump in and answer questions. I would start with two things. Scroll through the Invierno subforum and take a look at the threads with lots of advice and recommendations. I assume that's easy to find and you have access to it, but just in case you are as tech-challenged as I am, here is the link to get you to the top of that subforum. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/forums/camino-de-invierno.79/
Look particularly for posts by ChinaSky, who is the one recent pilgrim I remember who walked in winter last year.

The other thing is to look at the forum guide put together by us Invierno fans. I am right now working on updating it for 2018 and may be done with a new edition by the time you leave, but the changes I am finding so far are more involving things like changed opening hours, bar and restaurant availability, a few new lodging recommendations, etc. That guide is here and can be downloaded. It will give lots of suggestions for stages, accommodation, etc. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/resources/camino-de-invierno-2017-edition.535/

As far as gear, you should go prepared for cold and snow, I would think, though I am not sure how much you will actually get. Just bring what you would bring if you were walking any of the Northern caminos in winter, I know there are threads with gear suggestions for walking the Francés in winter, and I think those recommendations would apply to you as well.

Happy to help if we can, so just let us know. Buen camino, Laurie

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
For weather you might expect: weatherspark.com

Pictures from today show lots of grass in O Barco while another post shows quite a bit of snow, but doesn’t specify where along the Invierno.

Beautiful pictures as well of the castle of Cornatel on January 11th with a dusting of snow.

Last edited:
Thank you everyone, especially Laurie, for your detailed reply! It helped me a lot! :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Sophie Luise, On the facebook page Camino de Invierno, Pilgrim Robin who is walking the camino just now reports from her camino with text and pictures every day!

Last edited:

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back