Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Invierno july 9th 2021

Time of past OR future Camino
France (2012 and 2014)
Leon- Finisterre- Muxia, (May 2016)
Primitivo - Finisterre (May 2017)
Hi all.
This post is for adding to the calender that i will start my camino invierno july 9th.
I will land in Madrid, and take the bus to ponferrada, where i am starting.
This is my second camino invierno, i should have walked july last year. It looks like it will work this year. :cool:

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi all.
This post is for adding to the calender that i will start my camino invierno july 9th.
This is my second camino invierno, i should have walked july last year. It looks like it will work this year. :cool:
Buen Camino! Keep us posted while on your Way!

Hi all.
Hey, i will follow your post here. My plan is the Invierno in September this year. I hope!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi all.

I should be on the invierno about a week later! Please leave some updates here so I can use them when I am walking 😁!

Hi all.
Buen Camino

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi all.
Wonderful! If all goes according to plan, I will be walking the Invierno in October. I've never walked it before and am really looking forward to experiencing this beautiful way. Please keep us informed about your experience. Buen Camino!

Hi all.
Hi Joergen (Danish? 😀),

I will probably start in Ponferrada three days before you! 😊

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Following you here. My plan is still September but it depends on if there are albergues etc open. Buen Camino peregrinos

Thanks for all the replies. I´ll try to update a bit here about accomodation etc.
I will be leaving tommorrow.
The first night i will spend in hostal Rio selma, in Ponferrada, and the day after i will walk to Villavieja.
I Mailed them at this mail:
aytopriaranza@ccbierzo.com
and recieved an answer the day after.

Hi Joergen (Danish? 😀),
And yes, Thomas, from Aalborg, Denmark :)

Thanks for all the replies. I´ll try to update a bit here about accomodation etc.
I will be leaving tommorrow.
The first night i will spend in hostal Rio selma, in Ponferrada, and the day after i will walk to Villavieja.
I Mailed them at this mail:
aytopriaranza@ccbierzo.com
and recieved an answer the day after.

And yes, Thomas, from Aalborg, Denmark :)
Wow, Río Selma, never heard. Tell us!

So Albergue in Villavieja is open?? Last thing I heard: closed. But I am not really keeping track of what happens in Villavieja so I probably missed that.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hostal Rio Selma, ponferrada
Well, i don´t think Villavieja is closed. i got an confirmation e mail about where to find the key, and where to leave the money :)

Hostal Rio Selma, ponferrada
Well, i don´t think Villavieja is closed. i got an confirmation e mail about where to find the key, and where to leave the money :)
This is very good news. The woman who had taken over the contract as hospitalera (https://www.facebook.com/alberguedeVillavieja) is not renewing the contract, so it seems like the ayuntamiento is running it now. It’s not the best of situations, but at least there is a place to stay in Villavieja!

I am at the albergue villavieja now, and i am no 6 to stay here this month. 😊 I am glad i chose to stay here because it is a bit hot to walk today, with temperatures about 28 - 30° c. 🥵 The albergue is well marked and easy to find. Nice and clean.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I am at the albergue villavieja now, and i am no 6 to stay here this month. 😊 I am glad i chose to stay here because it is a bit hot to walk today, with temperatures about 28 - 30° c. 🥵 The albergue is well marked and easy to find. Nice and clean.

Where do you stay tomorrow? Las Médulas or Puente de Domingo Flórez? It was difficult to find accomodation in both of them, for me...

Where do you stay tomorrow? Las Médulas or Puente de Domingo Flórez? It was difficult to find accomodation in both of them, for me...
I have an reservation tomorrow in Sobradelo at Bar Mar 😊 i Will start early tomorrow, today i left ponferrada at 11.

I'm following this thread, and Bad Pilgrim's thread as well (can't figure out how to tag people here!) with great interest. I'm most likely going to attempt a walk on the Invierno in early August, and am taking detailed notes at the moment. These updates are helping tremendously!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Today's trip was from VillaVieja to Sobradelo. In Borrenes i took the alternative route to the Mirador de Orellana, because i have been in Las Medulas once. That was a big mistake, it was a very hard and not very used route. ( I found it at Wikiloc.) I won't do it again🥵. Once in Las Medulas i knew the route, so no problem except from the heat. In Sobradelo i am staying in Bar Mar. Nice and friendly place. They even do my laundry 🙂 tomorrow's route is to A Rua, pension fabio was full, but i was able to book a room at Hostal o pillabàn. 22 euro.

In Borrenes i took the alternative route to the Mirador de Orellana, because i have been in Las Medulas once. That was a big mistake, it was a very hard and not very used route.

I took the Borrenes alternative, at least if we are both talking about the same one. The one I took is described on page 13 of the forum guide, does it sound like where you went?

@amancio downloaded his tracks, and they was what I used.

When I walked theh path was pretty clear, but I was glad I had my GPS because there were several parts where I really needed it.

And I can tell you that O Pillabán is really nice. If the same people are still running it, you really should eat in their restaurant downstairs because the food was excellent when I was there! So maybe that will make up for today’s less than spectacular trail.

By the way, is it easy to find the camino from the Mirador de Orellán? I am thinking about maybe walking the Invierno this fall, and I plan to take this alternative again because, like you, I have been in Médulas several times.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I used the trail of Amancio too. - from the invierno guide. I'm glad i had the track on Wikiloc,as it's not very well marked.and i used it a lot. You can follow the track down to Las Medulas, but it's very easy to find.continue about 200 meters after the Mirador, when the way split straight and left, continue straight and you will have a pretty but steep detour through chestnuts to Las Medulas. At the bottom of the detour turn left and it will take you straight to LM. The camino is the first road left after the tourist office. I will definitely eat at O pillabàn.😀

Thanks, Joergen!

I don’t think I wrote my question clearly. I meant to ask you whether it was easy to go from the mirador at Orellán to the Camino trail without going down to Médulas. It seems to me that it would save a lot of time for those who do not want to visit the town.

I can't answer that. I looked at the map and it looks like it's possible to walk to two other Miradors and then meet the camino. But i took the safe route. I'll try to take a picture of what I mean.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
After hawing watched the map, i don't think it is possible to meet the camino without going to LM. I attach two photos.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210711-211731.jpg
    Screenshot_20210711-211731.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 35
  • Screenshot_20210711-211649.jpg
    Screenshot_20210711-211649.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 30
Today's trip was from VillaVieja to Sobradelo. In Borrenes i took the alternative route to the Mirador de Orellana, because i have been in Las Medulas once. That was a big mistake, it was a very hard and not very used route. ( I found it at Wikiloc.) I won't do it again🥵.

Thanks for posting this.

I'll be on the Invierno in Oct, this year, and was planning on taking this variant. When you say very hard was that because it was hard to follow or it was extremely steep, dangerous, i.e. narrow path with steep drop or some other reason? My wife will be coming along for the first time (camino or any long distance hike) and I don't want her first time to feel so dangerous that she never wants to do another. I also gather that you did not think the Mirador was worth it

Regarding a route from Mirador de Orellan back to the camino that skips Las Medulas, in planning for my trip I recall reading that there is a way. The map seems to show the route. I haven't decided if I'm going to stop in Las Medulas or go on.

The red is the camino. The green is the variant coming from Borrenes. The 4 orange makers indicate the way back to the camino.

Screen Shot 2021-07-11 at 2.46.47 PM.png

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
No, not dangerous at all. It's not very well marked, i had to use the track at Wikiloc a lot. When you turn left 200 m after La Chana and continue to Orellàn it's not maintained at all, it means high grass and bushes on the trail . At that stretch It's steep and narrow -in my opinion- but not dangerous at all. And the Mirador is worth it, don't miss it. But if you are staying in Las Medulas it's possible to walk up to see it.

No, not dangerous at all. It's not very well marked, i had to use the track at Wikiloc a lot. When you turn left 200 m after La Chana and continue to Orellàn it's not maintained at all, it means high grass and bushes on the trail . At that stretch It's steep and narrow -in my opinion- but not dangerous at all. And the Mirador is worth it, don't miss it. But if you are staying in Las Medulas it's possible to walk up to see it.

Great. Thanks for the clarification and appreciate your write-ups. We'll probably decide once we get there, depending on how we feel.

When you say very hard was that because it was hard to follow or it was extremely steep, dangerous, i.e. narrow path with steep drop or some other reason?
Just to second what @Joergen said about danger, there is none. I walked it in 2018 and was lucky that the path was not overgrown. I’m guessing that it hasn’t gotten much traffic in a few years. I enjoyed it very much and especially coming into the mirador in the afternoon sun (which is the best time for light).

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
todays route was a very easy walk.
So now I'm in A Rúa, at Hostal O Pillabàn. Unfortunately they are closed on Mondays, so I'm the only one here. A very nice and clean room. No eating here tonight.🥘

todays route was a very easy walk.
So now I'm in A Rúa, at Hostal O Pillabàn. Unfortunately they are closed on Mondays, so I'm the only one here. A very nice and clean room. No eating here tonight.🥘
Jorgen,
Thanks for your update. Glad to learn that you are in a good spot; hope you also find a good dinner. Looking forward to reading more as you progress.
Carpe diem and Buen camino.

Today was a very nice route. Lots of up and down along the Rio sil. Just outside the little city of Os Albaderos, the one with the funny signs, they have made an improvement with an rest area. If I remember it right from 2018. Today's hostel is Hostal quiper, Quiroga.

Attachments

• IMG_20210713_083636.jpg
    IMG_20210713_083636.jpg
    6.8 MB · Views: 34
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Today was a very nice route. Lots of up and down along the Rio sil. Just outside the little city of Os Albaderos, the one with the funny signs, they have made an improvement with an rest area. If I remember it right from 2018. Today's hostel is Hostal quiper, Quiroga.

Yes I don't think I have seen the giant tree-woman before. It must be new?

Hostal Quiper is great. The rooms must be even fancier when they have finished renovating. I hope the people working on them don't make too much noise for you?

Yes I don't think I have seen the giant tree-woman before. It must be new?

Hostal Quiper is great. The rooms must be even fancier when they have finished renovating. I hope the people working on them don't make too much noise for you?
No, they are not working today. 🙂
And nothing are going to keep me awake after a Delicious 3 course menu at restaurante casa Arosa, inclusive wine, for 12 euro. I really recommend them. Open at 8 pm. Close to Hostal quiper.

Today I'm on the new Hostal in Monforte de Lemos. It's a really nice place and only five minutes from the city.
The hospitalero is really helpful and even arranged a tour for me tomorrow at "colexia dos escolapios"
As i Will be staying here tomorrow.
By the way it's possible to call and book a bed, you don't have to use booking.com. the phone number at gronze is incorrect and he is going to change it

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Today I'm on the new Hostal in Monforte de Lemos. It's a really nice place and only five minutes from the city.
The hospitalero is really helpful and even arranged a tour for me tomorrow at "colexia dos escolapios"
As i Will be staying here tomorrow.
By the way it's possible to call and book a bed, you don't have to use booking.com. the phone number at gronze is incorrect and he is going to change it

Thanks for info! Is that 5 minutes walking distance? What price for 1 night?

It's about 5 minutes walking distance till you are in town. The price is 12 Euro. There is a washing machine 5 euro.donative coffee and tea.

Thanks for info! Is that 5 minutes walking distance? What price for 1 night?
It's about 5 minutes walking distance till you are in town. The price is 12 Euro. There is a washing machine 5 euro.donative coffee and tea.
Just wondering if the two most recent live forum pilgrims on the Invierno either have any interest in adding comments to Wise Pilgrim’s app. If not, I would be very happy to do it if you give me the green light.

In case you are not sure what I’m talking about, look at this thread. I figure that the more exposure and use I get, the less likely that I will have a meltdown when I’m actually on the camino and trying to use it. So it would be a pleasure for me to try to do it if you are not inclined. 🤣

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
No, but I'll ask the hospitalero tomorrow. He's left for today. Check in is from 4 to 8 pm.

€46,-
Just wondering if the two most recent live forum pilgrims on the Invierno either have any interest in adding comments to Wise Pilgrim’s app. If not, I would be very happy to do it if you give me the green light.

In case you are not sure what I’m talking about, look at this thread. I figure that the more exposure and use I get, the less likely that I will have a meltdown when I’m actually on the camino and trying to use it. So it would be a pleasure for me to try to do it if you are not inclined. 🤣

You should do it. I have no idea how it works...! 😩

Her are some info about the albergue in Monforte de Lemos.
The price is 17 euro
Telephone: +34 982 195 237
Check in from 4 - 8 pm
Whatsapp: +34 651 733 747.
Beds are with curtains, light and power outlet. (Edit. They also have lockers for every bed.)
No kitchen. But it has refrigerator, and microwave oven.
Donative coffee and tea.
It takes 10 minutes to walk to the town.
there is a Gadis and a lidl supermercado about 5 minutes walk.
And of course there are wifi 🙂

Attachments

• IMG_20210715_085735.jpg
    IMG_20210715_085735.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20210715_085633.jpg
    IMG_20210715_085633.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20210714_195128.jpg
    IMG_20210714_195128.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20210714_201126.jpg
    IMG_20210714_201126.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 18
Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
this has been a challenging time for unfrequented singletracks, the overgrowth is massive in places because nobody has been walking lately. The climb to Orellán and its viewpoint is particularly rewarding, in my opinion. Once on top of the mountain, I am pretty sure you can detour to las Pedrices, I have seen this waypoint photo in wikiloc.

1626426482787.png

Today tour was really pretty. The view was beautiful at Belezar. One of the prettiest views at the camino invierno. Now I'm in Chantada, at Hostal gamallo. Not much to say. It's a bed to sleep and cold water for the shower. 😐

I'm in Lanin now. I called the hotel/ albergue in Rodeiro yesterday, but she said "Todo completo" for today. As i could see it, my only alternative was to walk all the way to Lalin today, and it's a bit too long for me. So I decided to take a taxi to Rodeiro this morning, and start my walking from there. So now I'm in the albergue Lalin Centro. Nice and pretty albergue in the centre of the town. I've got a single room with two beds, they have a kitchen with refrigerator.
Washing machine 4 euro and dryer 4 euro.
Albergue is 12 euro.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I'm in Lanin now. I called the hotel/ albergue in Rodeiro yesterday, but she said "Todo completo" for today. As i could see it, my only alternative was to walk all the way to Lalin today, and it's a bit too long for me. So I decided to take a taxi to Rodeiro this morning, and start my walking from there. So now I'm in the albergue Lalin Centro. Nice and pretty albergue in the centre of the town. I've got a single room with two beds, they have a kitchen with refrigerator.
Washing machine 4 euro and dryer 4 euro.
Albergue is 12 euro.

If Rodeiro is completo, there is not much else to do... I wish the O Guerra (restaurant + rooms) would pick up business, but it seems nothing is happening there.

Enjoy Lalín! I have heard the albergue is really good. I have seen glimpses of it in pilgrims' vlogs!

Are you staying in a Laxe tomorrow? Silleda?

No, i was thinking af Ponte Ulla or Outeiro. After Outeiro i planned to go Santiago and further on to Muxia, Finisterre. But I'm thinking of stopping in Santiago, and Change my flight tickets back to Denmark. New travel restriction are not that funny.

I'm in Lalin now. I called the hotel/ albergue in Rodeiro yesterday, but she said "Todo completo" for today.

Wow, I’m so surprised to be hearing about accommodation crunches on the Invierno. I called the Hostal Carpinteiras and spoke with a man and he told me that the hostal in July during the week is always full. But that he always has space in the albergue, so I am not sure what happened. Maybe you don’t want to stay in the albergue, @Joergen? I’m going to avoid them too if I have the good fortune of walking in September, but it sounds like there are really not other pilgrims around.

Putting together all of BP and Joergen’s notes, it seems to be a good idea to call a few days ahead if possible.

Sorry you got shut out of Rodeiro, @Joergen!

I don't know what happened. I asked for a room in the albergue, but the woman i spoke with told me all was full.

Today I'm in the albergue or Outeiro. There is 4 of us here. The kitchen is closed, but the hospitalero can order food from a local pizzeria.
Tomorrow I'll go to Santiago, and further on to Finisterre.
I'll stop posting now because the camino invierno is done
Buen camino para todos 🙂

Hi Joergen,
Thanks so much for keeping us posted on your Invierno journey. Very helpful indeed.
Stay safe and enjoy your way to Santiago and Finisterre.

Best regards, Robin

Today I'm in the albergue or Outeiro. There is 4 of us here. The kitchen is closed, but the hospitalero can order food from a local pizzeria.
Tomorrow I'll go to Santiago, and further on to Finisterre.
I'll stop posting now because the camino invierno is done
Buen camino para todos 🙂

Have fun in Santiago tomorrow, and beyond! Thanks for updates!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back