Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Invierno Video

towanda1961

Laura
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances and Invierno (2015)
I took many photos while walking the Invierno this past summer. I have made a YouTube video that I hope will be useful for anyone considering this amazing route. I tried to capture the solitude as well as examples of the terrain, the varied paths of tarmac, gravel, weeds and cobblestone. I included a few photos of accommodations and many photos of signs and arrows or other markers. I hope you will enjoy it and find it helpful.

Please let me know if I can answer any questions. Buen Camino.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks, ribeirasacra, this is a wonderful video put together by a forum member, and I hope she steps forward to take credit for it! Seeing her pictures of those chestnut trees in full bloom made me think of the heavenly smell they give off, my favorite tree smell of all time. When I walked several weeks later, most of those chestnut "flowers" had dropped off and the smell had dissipated quite a bit.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks, ribeirasacra, this is a wonderful video put together by a forum member, and I hope she steps forward to take credit for it! Seeing her pictures of those chestnut trees in full bloom made me think of the heavenly smell they give off, my favorite tree smell of all time. When I walked several weeks later, most of those chestnut "flowers" had dropped off and the smell had dissipated quite a bit.
Thank you! I am happy to share this video and the blessed experience that I had walking the Invierno.

Posted on the Facebook page of this route.

Sold on the Invierno next spring after seeing this video, perhaps in combo with Muxia & Fistera. Off to calculate the number of days required! But can someone tell me what the "real" distance from Ponferada to Santiago is? The American Association says 261, caminoinvierno.com says just over 200. Not the same! Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Sold on the Invierno next spring after seeing this video, perhaps in combo with Muxia & Fistera. Off to calculate the number of days required! But can someone tell me what the "real" distance from Ponferada to Santiago is? The American Association says 261, caminoinvierno.com says just over 200. Not the same! Thank you.

Hi, Anemone, There are some wide ranges of estimated distances, and it's something I have struggled with in preparation of the guide each year. Based on my discussion with several people who walked this summer, though, and Kinky, we've decided that the Gronze distances are the most accurate. That makes it about 265 to Santiago. There are several optional details that add or take away a few here and there, but even the different GPS recordings show very different estimates. In the guide, I highlight the three stages where these ranges of estimates could be most important to your planning. We will also have a short stage option (which I have already posted here in a slightly different form) as well as some of the more standard 9, 10, and 12 day options. I can send you the current version of the 2016 "edition," it is in pretty good shape, but it's still out to the other forum members who are commenting.

ONe thing is for sure -- 200 is the distance from Ponferrada to Santiago on the Frances, so that can't possibly be the distance for a camino that dips south of Ponferrada! Buen camino, Laurie

I took many photos while walking the Invierno this past summer. I have made a YouTube video that I hope will be useful for anyone considering this amazing route. I tried to capture the solitude as well as examples of the terrain, the varied paths of tarmac, gravel, weeds and cobblestone. I included a few photos of accommodations and many photos of signs and arrows or other markers. I hope you will enjoy it and find it helpful.

Thanks towanda1961,

For me this a very good good video, it gives a great feel for the terrain on the route through your photos. Loved the soundtrack too. Thanks for posting this.

I do have one other thing to say and that is.................................... Aaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrggggggghhhhh! I've been struggling to decide upon my next Camino. For ages I was torn between the Camino Portugese and the Invierno. Taking into account travel, time and other issues I swung towards the Portugese after much inner turmoil. Now I have seen your video I'm torn again....................................................................................................in a beautiful way.

Buen Camino.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Beautiful Camino !
I'm thinking of walking this next week , anybody suggestion is wellcome , would it be any alberges open ??
It's it to hard to walk it in November ?
Thanks for your comments !
Buen Camino !

Beautiful Camino !
I'm thinking of walking this next week , anybody suggestion is wellcome , would it be any alberges open ??
It's it to hard to walk it in November ?
Thanks for your comments !
Buen Camino !

Hi, Pruden,
Well, since there are only two pilgrim albergues (Xagoaza and A Rúa) and a couple more that are youth hostels, the off-season feature isn´t likely to affect you much. I'm sure Asún in A Rúa will take you in, and if it turns out that Xagoaza is closed, you can just stay a few kms earlier in Barco de Valdeorras in one of several inexpensive pensiones. Most of the other days are pensiones, hostales, hoteles, none of which, in my experience, close in the off season. At least not these guys, because they are not camino-dependent, like some of the newer places on the Francés. I would keep an eye on the weather, and if you want to see the most recent version of the guide in the Resources section, (still in the editing process for 2016), just PM me with your email address and I'll send it to you.

Thanks towanda1961,

For me this a very good good video, it gives a great feel for the terrain on the route through your photos. Loved the soundtrack too. Thanks for posting this.

I do have one other thing to say and that is.................................... Aaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrggggggghhhhh! I've been struggling to decide upon my next Camino. For ages I was torn between the Camino Portugese and the Invierno. Taking into account travel, time and other issues I swung towards the Portugese after much inner turmoil. Now I have seen your video I'm torn again....................................................................................................in a beautiful way.

Buen Camino.
Thank you for your kind feedback. I haven't done the Portuguese, but I cannot say enough positive things about the Invierno. I was fortunate to have excellent weather while I walked, I did not see another Pilgrim until the day I walked into Santiago, and the local people were so friendly and helpful.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
After seeing this video, I must say that it's very, very tempting!

Hi, Pruden,
Well, since there are only two pilgrim albergues (Xagoaza and A Rúa) and a couple more that are youth hostels, the off-season feature isn´t likely to affect you much. I'm sure Asún in A Rúa will take you in, and if it turns out that Xagoaza is closed, you can just stay a few kms earlier in Barco de Valdeorras in one of several inexpensive pensiones. Most of the other days are pensiones, hostales, hoteles, none of which, in my experience, close in the off season. At least not these guys, because they are not camino-dependent, like some of the newer places on the Francés. I would keep an eye on the weather, and if you want to see the most recent version of the guide in the Resources section, (still in the editing process for 2016), just PM me with your email address and I'll send it to you.
Thanks a lot for your help !
I will appreciate very much if you could send me some additional information , like 2016 !
My email is XXXXX
Thanks again for your help!
Not complety sure if I will make or not , but my intention goes that way!

(note from Laurie -- I removed your email address from this post, think it's better to keep private email addresses off the open forum -- but I did sent you the draft!)

Last edited by a moderator:

this is amazing! Thank you for sharing, may have more questions, but do you know if there is a backpack service? I know crazy first question, but wondered! Aliwalks

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
this is amazing! Thank you for sharing, may have more questions, but do you know if there is a backpack service? I know crazy first question, but wondered! Aliwalks
Hi - I'm glad you enjoyed the photos. There are none of the services that are so common on the Frances - no one to transfer your pack, no bars waiting with tortilla ready at 10 each morning; wifi in bars (when you find one that is open) is not a given, no Pilgrim menus or early dinners, etc. It is a very different experience, but worth the challenges if you are able to carry your own pack. I don't remember seeing anything about taxis until the last two days before Santiago.

Thanks a lot for your help !
I will appreciate very much if you could send me some additional information , like 2016 !
My email is XXXXX
Thanks again for your help!
Not complety sure if I will make or not , but my intention goes that way!

(note from Laurie -- I removed your email address from this post, think it's better to keep private email addresses off the open forum -- but I did sent you the draft!)
Thanks peregrina 2000

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Beautiful! It really brings back memories. And for me some very distinctive places like Castrotane, A Pobra de Brollon etc. Maybe even same rooms :)
It's beautiful Camino and I feel very good that you've liked it.

Ultreia!

Oh how absolutely amazing - thank you so very much. I have often wondered about this route - and now - I just want to go - now.
My only concern would be the expense of accommodation on this route - but thank you again.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Oh how absolutely amazing - thank you so very much. I have often wondered about this route - and now - I just want to go - now.
My only concern would be the expense of accommodation on this route - but thank you again.
Thank you, I'm glad you enjoyed the photos. I spent 20 euro or less each night with the exception of Chantada where I believe I spent 35 euro. I stayed in Hostals (typically a Bar/Restaurant with rooms for rent upstairs), or hotels. I felt like an honored guest each place I stayed - one place left a thermos of cafe con leche and a pile of muffins on the bar for me since I was leaving before anyone was awake; another told me they were "at my service," and welcomed me with a cold beer and tapa. It was lovely. I did stay in two delightful albergues, with Asun in Rua and at Casa Leiras in Dornelas, and was the only pilgrim each time.

Last edited:
Towanda, I've made this post a "sticky" because it's a great visual introduction to the Invierno. I've been hearing a fair amount of Invierno "chatter" and I'm going to predict a big increase in traffic next year. Who knows, in a few years we may even have albergues!
Agree completely, Laurie. I think this Camino will be a hit in next few years. I remember last year when I was posting my diary (and that was with photos added!) maybe only 2-5 forum members have read it. As I see this year (perhaps even after/because of official recognition from the Cathedral authorities?) news about Invierno spreads so much faster. And I LIKE IT :D

Towanda, I've made this post a "sticky" because it's a great visual introduction to the Invierno. I've been hearing a fair amount of Invierno "chatter" and I'm going to predict a big increase in traffic next year. Who knows, in a few years we may even have albergues!
I hope that "traffic" increases, but I also hope that it doesn't change the spirit and atmosphere. I enjoyed the lack of toilet paper along the path, and markers that had not been written all over - the loneliness was part of the magic for me - I felt as if local people were truly pleased to have a peregrina passing through. Well, you know all this already! But it is such a beautiful route and should be experienced by others.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Agree completely, Laurie. I think this Camino will be a hit in next few years. I remember last year when I was posting my diary (and that was with photos added!) maybe only 2-5 forum members have read it. As I see this year (perhaps even after/because of official recognition from the Cathedral authorities?) news about Invierno spreads so much faster. And I LIKE IT :D

Just fyi, Kinky, I have made your wonderful report sticky also. So there is no shortage of good recent information!

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/my-camino-de-invierno-july-2014.25355/

Just fyi, Kinky, I have made your wonderful report sticky also. So there is no shortage of good recent information!

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/my-camino-de-invierno-july-2014.25355/
Thanks, Laurie, although I didn't mentioned my diary for the sake of that ;) It's just that I realise now how much more popular Invierno became in only one year time. Huh... And it really might happen soon that there will be some more albergues. I think at least Las Medulas and Chantada would deserve one even if smaller.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Towanda - Gorgeous! In what month were you walking?
ml

Last edited:
HI, Ribeirasacra, thanks for that link. For those who don't speak Spanish, the article describes how one of the Invierno Associations is advocating for conversion of a government-owned building into an albergue in Monforte de Lemos (described as the town that could become the "Sarria of the Invierno" since it's a little more than 100 km from Santiago). There's an old hotel in town that had been renovated to use for affordable housing for young people (not clear if that project was completed or if the hotel is totally empty). One of what may be many problems is that the building is owned by the Xunta and not the municipality, so there would be lots of legal ownership and responsibility questions.

But this is great news to think that we're actually moving into the phase when people are having a public debate about where to put albergues!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
In another couple of years this route is going to be so popular that my recommendation would be to walk it soon!

I'll be back again early next June.

Charrito, I said that to myself when I walked in 2012 and saw not one pilgrim. Then in 2015 I walked for a few days with LTfit (so that makes two) and we also met one other pilgrim. I agree that the official designation of the Invierno will have a huge impact, but I think we're safe from the hoards for another bunch of years. Hope those are not my "famous last words." It's really going to be the albergue situation that will determine the numbers, IMO.

Lucky you to be walking it next June. I know you went off-route to Escairón this year, and if you are itching for another little detour, have you thought about staying at Torre Vilariño and walking to Coba? There seems to be a magnificent view over the Miño at that point: http://www.perrunadas.com/ribeira-sacra-a-cova/

And a romanesque church as well: http://www.sientegalicia.com/fichav.php?id=83&idzona=28

Hope to do that myself in a few years! Buen camino, Laurie

Charrito, I said that to myself when I walked in 2012 and saw not one pilgrim. Then in 2015 I walked for a few days with LTfit (so that makes two) and we also met one other pilgrim. I agree that the official designation of the Invierno will have a huge impact, but I think we're safe from the hoards for another bunch of years. Hope those are not my "famous last words." It's really going to be the albergue situation that will determine the numbers, IMO.

Lucky you to be walking it next June. I know you went off-route to Escairón this year, and if you are itching for another little detour, have you thought about staying at Torre Vilariño and walking to Coba? There seems to be a magnificent view over the Miño at that point: http://www.perrunadas.com/ribeira-sacra-a-cova/

And a romanesque church as well: http://www.sientegalicia.com/fichav.php?id=83&idzona=28

Hope to do that myself in a few years! Buen camino, Laurie

I mentioned to you that another possible alternative would be to go from Monforte de Lemos to Ferreira de Pantón (places to stay), and then carry on to Diomondi and Belesar from there.

It's definitely do-able, and you could probably find a way to walk via Cova and the church.

I have travelled around all the area by car and know that mirador. The views are certainly stunning.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Lovely, lovely memories....thinking I will take this Way again this year if time permits....:)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Hi Towanda - Gorgeous! In what month were you walking?
ml[/QUOTE]
I just saw this! I walked the last week of June arriving in Santiago on July 4.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Nice video to watch over my morning coffee! Thanks for posting this, chinasky, looks like you had a fair amount of cold weather. Makes me want to return.
Thanks Laurie, we usually started walking with very low temperature, under 0 C degree and i get my beard freezed almost every day :)

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Just after Christmas is was exceptionally cold here.I had to get up early to take a neighbour to the hospital in Lugo quite a number of times. A few times the outside air-temp of the car registered -5 centigrade. with highs of about 3 or 4. Today highs around 18. Did not have to arise so early so do not know how low it was, but is was not freezing for sure.

Atmospheric photos in the video.

Thanks, your work is really inspiring. I plan to go back this summer, a 2nd time! :OD

/BP

Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou
@towanda1961
This video is TOPS!! I walked the Invierno in May this year completely solo (sorry, on one night another peregrina turned up at Hostal)..and today scrolling through the forum (as any addict can surely relate ?) I saw this again and listened all the way through .
It is long but sooooo good. It got me up and prancing to the sound track. Such a happy sound track.
For anyone thinking of walking this route... find the time to sit (or prance about) and watch it.
Re living my memories of a few months back has made my day.
- Also., I have never ‘plugged in’ to music whilst walking a camino before, but I’m tempted to get a few similar tracks to listen to for next spring in the VDLP, just in case I need to get prancing a bit.
Well done , and
Buen Camino.
Annie

Also
I notice on the Invierno FB page there appears to be ‘a lot’ lot of Spanish pilgrims walking this route. There have been many posts, so I can understand the growth of this route.

Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou
@towanda1961
This video is TOPS!! I walked the Invierno in May this year completely solo (sorry, on one night another peregrina turned up at Hostal)..and today scrolling through the forum (as any addict can surely relate ?) I saw this again and listened all the way through .
It is long but sooooo good. It got me up and prancing to the sound track. Such a happy sound track.
For anyone thinking of walking this route... find the time to sit (or prance about) and watch it.
Re living my memories of a few months back has made my day.
- Also., I have never ‘plugged in’ to music whilst walking a camino before, but I’m tempted to get a few similar tracks to listen to for next spring in the VDLP, just in case I need to get prancing a bit.
Well done , and
Buen Camino.
Annie

Also
I notice on the Invierno FB page there appears to be ‘a lot’ lot of Spanish pilgrims walking this route. There have been many posts, so I can understand the growth of this route.
Thank you for your kind comments. I’m so pleased that you enjoyed the video. I admit to re-watching it from time to time. Memories from a life-changing experience.

Thank you for your kind comments. I’m so pleased that you enjoyed the video. I admit to re-watching it from time to time. Memories from a life-changing experience.
Just found this video
It's wonderful....Thank you so much
We're off in 10 days to walk the Invierno ...and after watching your video, it can't come quickly enough!!!!
Am chafing at the bit right now!
Best wishes
Annette

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Just found this video
It's wonderful....Thank you so much
We're off in 10 days to walk the Invierno ...and after watching your video, it can't come quickly enough!!!!
Am chafing at the bit right now!
Best wishes
Annette
Thank you; I’m pleased you enjoyed the video. You’ll be walking at the same time of year that I did. I hope your experience is as amazing as mine was for me. Buen Camino!

I hope your experience is as amazing as mine was for me. Buen Camino!
@towanda1961
I have been busy preparing to walk the Madrid-Frances-Invierno route for some time, but it is only since I watched your video this morning that I begin to feel an urgency to get going, after a whole year without a camino. I am very glad that I did not see this sooner, as my heart, and my feet, are restless to walk, with two months still to wait. Thank you.

@towanda1961
I have been busy preparing to walk the Madrid-Frances-Invierno route for some time, but it is only since I watched your video this morning that I begin to feel an urgency to get going, after a whole year without a camino. I am very glad that I did not see this sooner, as my heart, and my feet, are restless to walk, with two months still to wait. Thank you.
I’m pleased that my video has fueled your anticipation. Buen Camino!

€83,-

€83,-

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back