• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino is a no go

Martin Burnham

PadreCamino
Time of past OR future Camino
April - May (2019) SJPP to Finisterre
So, as I prepared my final packing items on Wednesday, June 1st, I was getting more and more excited for my impending departure on June 5th. Me and my buddy from college were all set to make our way from Baltimore to SJPD for the start of our pilgrimage; it was a dream come true for me. Then, Thursday June 2nd I awoke with a very strange pain in my right side. It lingered all day as my worries began to build - this can't be happening NOW!! I am leaving in 3 days - at least, that's what I thought. Phone conversations with a trusted college friend who is an ER nurse practitioner in Indiana led me to determine what would be the essential elements that would lead me to an ER visit. Worsening pain was one of the factors; I could not sleep at all Thursday night / Friday morning so it was off to the ER Friday at 4 am. After several hours in the ER I was diagnosed with a bleeding cyst on my right kidney and was told that the Camino was probably a no-go. I put off calling my buddy until the last possible moment - no one wants to be the bearer of THAT news. On Saturday, as my hospital stay continued with them monitoring my blood levels, I made the call and told my buddy that I thought I was "down for the count." That was an extremely disappointing conversation. So, the Camino dream lives for another day, but the walk isn't happening this year. God has another kind of walk in store for me. For those out on the trail who I would have met over these days, buen Camino and know that you are all in my prayers. I ask for your prayers as well.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Martin, so sorry to hear of your illness. You join the (seemingly) growing band journeying the alternate Healing Camino. I wish you well.

It's often said that your Camino begins when you first commit to it. Your route is just going to be a bit longer than you had anticipated.

Take care and keep in touch with this forum. I am sure that there will be live reports back from the Way (of those that you would have met) that you can follow.

Will your buddy wait or will he walk alone? Tough decision.

So, as I prepared my final packing items on Wednesday, June 1st, I was getting more and more excited for my impending departure on June 5th. Me and my buddy from college were all set to make our way from Baltimore to SJPD for the start of our pilgrimage; it was a dream come true for me. Then, Thursday June 2nd I awoke with a very strange pain in my right side. It lingered all day as my worries began to build - this can't be happening NOW!! I am leaving in 3 days - at least, that's what I thought. Phone conversations with a trusted college friend who is an ER nurse practitioner in Indiana led me to determine what would be the essential elements that would lead me to an ER visit. Worsening pain was one of the factors; I could not sleep at all Thursday night / Friday morning so it was off to the ER Friday at 4 am. After several hours in the ER I was diagnosed with a bleeding cyst on my right kidney and was told that the Camino was probably a no-go. I put off calling my buddy until the last possible moment - no one wants to be the bearer of THAT news. On Saturday, as my hospital stay continued with them monitoring my blood levels, I made the call and told my buddy that I thought I was "down for the count." That was an extremely disappointing conversation. So, the Camino dream lives for another day, but the walk isn't happening this year. God has another kind of walk in store for me. For those out on the trail who I would have met over these days, buen Camino and know that you are all in my prayers. I ask for your prayers as well.

I will pray for you, and I wish you health and prosperity.

Sincerely
NorwegianWalker

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Martin, so sorry to hear of your illness. You join the (seemingly) growing band journeying the alternate Healing Camino. I wish you well.

It's often said that your Camino begins when you first commit to it. Your route is just going to be a bit longer than you had anticipated.

Take care and keep in touch with this forum. I am sure that there will be live reports back from the Way (of those that you would have met) that you can follow.

He pulled the plug on this trip. Was not comfortable going it alone. He'll have to get another pass from his wife for his next trip!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

What a really disappointing issue, and I sure hope that you recover and feel better soon. Our bodies do not always cooperate, and it is a mistake to ignore terrible (and painful) symptoms.

Wishing you the best of recoveries.

Deb

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Oh no! So sorry to hear this, Martin! I´m sure it's been a very disappointing few days, even though you know you´re making the right decision to allow your body to recover. Is your friend still going to walk? Take care, and praying for contentment, peace and joy for you as you stay home!
Faith

So sorry to hear of this hurdle. With just 3 days until I leave I totally understand your disappointment and fear has grabbed me with every niggling ache this week. However this was not be your time, get well and reschedule. Imagine how fit you will get yourself and your pack is sorted. I wish you all the very best recovery.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
So sorry to hear, Martin. What a disappointment for you and your friend. Wishing you a full and speedy recovery. May the Camino be everything you've hoped, and more, when you are finally able to get there.

As the saying goes...."bitter trials are often blessings in disguise"....Imagine if this would have happened while you were on the trail...Camino will still be there. You now have a strong motivation to recuperate and plan your next attempt.

Martin, I'm so sorry, what a disappointing blow. Something very similar happened to me - 10 days before I was due to start my Camino I got an unexpected rather scary diagnosis which meant canceling everything and urgent surgery. What got me through that was planning for my rescheduled Camino. I decided I would be ok to go 7 months later so that's what I aimed for. And 7 months later off I went. Still perhaps not 100% but I made it with a bit of help from bag transport and the odd bus. And for several reasons I think the timing in the end was even better. You will get there - pick a new date now and start thinking about it while you do what has to be done to get yourself well. You'll do it, and there will be lots of support and good wishes for you from your friends here. Buen Camino on your way back to good health!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Martin
Sorry to hear about your cancellation, I guess it just wasn't meant to happen, but fear not I'm sure you will make it in the end, the camino will still be there.

For those out on the trail who I would have met over these days, buen Camino and know that you are all in my prayers. I ask for your prayers as well.

Martin- you are in my prayers and I think, without doubts, that you WILL get to the Camino. The silver lining in all this is that getting in a long transatlantic flight with an undetected bleeding cyst on a critical organ was going to be a very, very serious situation for you and friend. The way I see it, the Camino already started taking care of you.

Get well as the Camino isn't going anywhere and awaits for you. :)

God has another kind of walk in store for me.
Your Camino journey and its lessons have already begun! Let's see the Camino lessons in your experience so far:
- We are not in control
- We benefit from listening to the wisdom of others
- It's important to listen to our bodies
- Connections to fellow travelers are important
- Tomorrow is another day

With prayers for recovery and your continuing journey,

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Wow! Martin!
You may not have physically started the camino yet - but look at all your camino friends answering your comment!!!
Your camino has begun.
Your "camino family" has started, too.
You will soon be able to do it physically ... and I for one wish you a
Buen camino!!

My thoughts and prayers are with you Martin. I'm sorry you were unable to walk at this time but what a blessing it was that this happened while you were still home.

Buen camino,

Mike

Please accept my thoughts and my prayers for a speedy recovery.
Miguel de Flandes

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
A wretched blow, Martin. I echo the sentiments of others: get well soon & start planning for your future Camino. It'll come :)
Suzanne

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Martin once the Camino calles you it will not give up on you
dont give up this dream ,I wish you a speedy recovery and a buen Camino.

May you and your kidney have lots of cranberry juice that you can envision as vino tinto; and so you dream about the Camino that you will one day walk, Martin. You can read Camino books, watch videos about the Camino and knit, heal, mend, fix and....reconcile (your body and that you are not on the Camino this time). Don't think of this as wasted time (which is a pun...if you know what your kidneys do. If not, they are like garbage men: they collect the body’s waste products)!
All the best, Martin; you'll get there. Just isn't the time right now, according to your body and the Camino.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery. The Camino will be there for you when your body heals. Hope your pain eases soon. You are on a pilgrimage--may will find your way to Santiago.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Your Camino journey and its lessons have already begun! Let's see the Camino lessons in your experience so far:
- We are not in control
- We benefit from listening to the wisdom of others
- It's important to listen to our bodies
- Connections to fellow travelers are important
- Tomorrow is another day

With prayers for recovery and your continuing journey,
Thanks for the thoughts and prayers!!!

Hi Martin,
So sorry to hear about your health. Prayers for your speedy recovery. I just returned - a week ago - from my 1st Camino. I am sure god has a better plan and time for your Camino.
My prayers are with you.

All the best Martin for the remainder of your Camino. We were starting ours in SJPDP around 5th June too. But as it turned out we started in Lourdes and came the d'Arles route through Arudy, Oloron Sainte Marie, Somport, Jaca, Pamplona, Puenta la Reina where we will be tomorrow.
I have learned that it is NOT the destination, but the journey along the way. From Lourdes not many people are on the paths so when you come across someone it is exciting and conversation happens. On the main route now in contrast we are seeing 40 people an hour. But always opportunities to meet some people at a deeper level.
You will have a great story to tell in coping with the loss of your "walking" start date - but your Camino walk has begun - Buen Camino.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I am so sorry you are unwell. I do hope it's not too long before you can start your Camino journey.
Blessings .

So sorry, Martin. I am pulling for you and hoping that you will be able to go another day. Take good care of yourself in the meantime.

Martin, I wish you well and I look forward to hearing about your recovery and future Camino adventures! Blessings, Camino Bill

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I so sorry to hear but I truly always believe that there is a reason for everything and looks like maybe this just was not going to be the best time for your journey and all it has to offer ..... I know when you are able to do it . It will be so amazing especially from all this that you are going through.., sending you good vibes...

Aww. That totally sucks. Glad you were able to get immediate healthcare to reset you on the road to recovery; it's own uphill climb. Not the Camino road, mind you, but you know it will be there when it's your time to be there.
A fractured ankle stopped my May Camino cold, so I understand. My heart goes out to you. Heal well and rest, pilgrim. Be gentle with yourself.

I'm reading your post from an emergency room, waiting to have my foot examined for a possible fractured heel. I'm 9 days from leaving. My fingers are crossed for both of us.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
This is similar to what happened to me some years ago. I was very fit and preparing to leave on an extended mountaineering adventure. A few days before, I had abdominal pain that worsened over night and I had a fever. The ER sent me into exploratory surgery where they found a perforated large intestine. I was very disappointed, but the doc told me that if it had happened in the back country, I likely would have died. I was in the hospital for two weeks.

Of course the best scenario is that it doesn't happen at all. But if it does, timing is everything! Let us know how you're doing.

Hi Martin,
Don t worry on my first attempt to go on the camino in Sept 2013 never happened my mom had cancer at the time and was admitted to hospital and was given one week to live. My second attempt this year in April almost did not happen. I ended up in hospital too, until i was cleared to go a few days before my flight. I took it slow, i made it all the way by foot. From St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago in 39 days. I cried so much in disbelief, I truly survived the Camino, I think because of the many prayers I prayed and the pilgrim blessing that i requested on my six hours wait in Paris i went to Notre Dame basilica and requested a pilgrim blessing. It was all full of miracles the whole way. There was almost never a bed for me, every time on my arrival is completo the whole town or village, but in the morning of every day i said a prayer to the Virgin Mary asking her to reserve a bottom bunk bed with a pillow and a blanket. I always got a bed, or a sofa (my miracles).
The dream finally came true, I hope it will come to you too Martin
Lama

Martin,

God has you in the palm of His hand, now and forever. The Camino is not going anywhere and you know it will happen exactly when you need it to, the most.

I add my prayers to those who are already doing so.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Praying for you my friend. I am getting tready for my camino starting on 14th july.

I wish your health condition be good, soon! I wish you all the best!! Keep on your dream, it will come true, one day! I will start my camino, in three days, I am very excited. I will take your health problem with me, on my wandering and I will pray for you at the feet of the iron cross. I send you a friendly greetings from Hungary!

Martin, I'm sorry for your health problems. But the Francais Camino is (from what I've heard from those guys who were on that trip) a hard trip. Plus, given the time of the year you wanted to go, you needed to drink a lot of liquids, so your kidneys had to endure a lot of pressure. You're lucky that you found those health problems before you start the walking. Take care of you. The road will be there in the next year

I'm reading your post from an emergency room, waiting to have my foot examined for a possible fractured heel. I'm 9 days from leaving. My fingers are crossed for both of us.
Oh! Hopefully not fractured! I'll be thinking of you in my prayers.

This Hemingway quote from A Farewell to Arms has always resonated for me and especially so after recovering from my navicular foot fracture from last years Camino:

The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places.

Stay strong and accepting of what comes - you are already in your Way.

Oh! Hopefully not fractured! I'll be thinking of you in my prayers.

This Hemingway quote from A Farewell to Arms has always resonated for me and especially so after recovering from my navicular foot fracture from last years Camino:

The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places.

Stay strong and accepting of what comes - you are already in your Way.
Unfortunately it is a bone spur. Off my feet until I go. Ill go as far as I can. Thanks for the reply.

Martin I'm sorry about your health issues I will pray for you that you may continue to get better, God bless.

zzotte

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks all for the kind words and most especially the prayers. So, surgery has been scheduled for 7/14 - happy Bastille Day! They are not sure the extent of the surgery until they open me up; may be losing part of or the whole right kidney depending on the tumor situation. So, the Camino has presented its first challenge to me - to learn to accept what I cannot control. My time has been spent doing nothing as the doctors want my body to do as much healing as possible before the surgery. Happy trails to all of you that are setting off; you are in my prayers.

Unfortunately it is a bone spur. Off my feet until I go. Ill go as far as I can. Thanks for the reply.
I've had bone spurs on both heels since forever. They are manageable and don't stop me walking at all. Only the occasional discomfort or flare up of plantar faciitis. My ever growing health team tend to be guided by symptoms and treat to the patient and not the X-rays or scans.

Rest up and good luck.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I'll be out walking that day and will carry you in my thoughts.

Hope that all goes well.
Thanks @Wokabaut, I'm keeping all weight off my heel for this coming week and plan to do an evaluation walk next Sunday. If I have only very minor discomfort I will start my Camino and take it a day at a time. I have a hard time quitting without trying. If you see a 60 year old perigrino, on forearm crutches, on the CP coastal above Viana, that will be me.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Martin
Your journey will just be a different one than you imagined . God speed through this. And know even from a hospital bed, your camino family is always here. (One of the advantages to having a world wide audience.)
When you announced your intent, it told us much about you, even unsaid, even not met. You will not be alone now or in the future. Prayers
Nanc

Thanks Nanc. Appreciate the thoughts and the prayers. Now just playing the waiting game as I await surgery day.

Martin - I hope your surgery has gone as planned and you are feeling as well as can be expected, and your recovery is proceeding as hoped.

Paintboy - I hope your Camino is going well, without too much pain and discomfort. Do try to let us all know how things are going if you get a chance.

My best wishes to you both, and all other whose Camino is foreshadowed with illness or injury. May you heal quickly and find further healing on the Camino x

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Martin - I hope your surgery has gone as planned and you are feeling as well as can be expected, and your recovery is proceeding as hoped.

Paintboy - I hope your Camino is going well, without too much pain and discomfort. Do try to let us all know how things are going if you get a chance.

My best wishes to you both, and all other whose Camino is foreshadowed with illness or injury. May you heal quickly and find further healing on the Camino x
Julia:

Thanks. Today I am a week out from surgery. I had the cyst removed from my right kidney; they took the whole kidney as well. I am awaiting a pathology report and trying my best to cooperate with the healing process. I think I am pretty good for the first week.

Martin

You have my prayers. I believe you wil find that everything when it relates to our faith seems to be a test. Keep it & you will be rewarded.
Keith

Thanks for the update, Martin. Glad to hear your surgery is over. And you sound in good spirits! All the very best to you, and may all go well.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back