• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino is saving tourism

• Thread starter Deleted member 3000
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 3000

The Camino de Santiago saved the season of the cottages on your route
C. DIAZ PARDO
Average occupancy establishments receiving the pilgrims around 80%
Pilgrims at the Plaza do Obradoiro in Compostela

12/14/2012 21:56
The national tourism crisis has hit hard the rural housing sector. Data occupancy of these establishments accumulated very low levels throughout the year and in December this bridge, at best, in some communities such as Andalusia and Murcia reached 50%. However, amid the decline in the north some establishments recorded endure the storm and filled much of the year. Are those houses that are located within the route of the Camino de Santiago. Cesareo So says González, President of the Galician Federation of Rural Tourism (Fegatur), who suggests that differences in the occupancy of some establishments and other are abysmal. "This year-end is still really bad. In many stores it will close 2012 with an occupancy of around 10%. However, the houses are within the route of Camino de Santiago withstand the pull most of the year, hovered occupations that can range from 80% to 100%, "he says. Camino Frances The elect are establishments that are on the route known as the Camino Frances, the main focus of the pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela, which starts in Roncesvalles and, en route passes Galician Cebreiro, Triacastela, Sarria, Portomarín, Palas de Rei, and Pedrouzo Arzúa. "Not all houses are lucky to be in that way, but now, the second busiest route according to our studies is known as the Portuguese Way, which is also relaunching the establishments of this type," says Cesario. In Galicia this route benefits the establishments in the province of Pontevedra, as their stops are marked in O Porrino, Redondela, Pontevedra, Caldas de Reis, Padron and Santiago. More demand than supply The cause of these houses maintain their occupation high during most of the year is in the low quality, as conservators of public shelters for pilgrims. "The shelters are few and then filled. Furthermore, the conditions are not the most appropriate, so many people are encouraged to spend the night in hotels, inns and cottages ", explains Fegatur. "The Camino de Santiago is still generating even greater demand supply," he adds. Initiatives like Bono Iacobus, launched by the Government of Galicia, has also helped to relaunch Camino rural tourism. This is a walking tour packages that allow sections of the route Galician Xacobea network overnight in rural tourism in Galicia. Currently, almost all routes have their Bono Iacobus pilgrimages, both the French and the Portuguese Way and the road called the Camino do Norte and Via da Prata. In September this year, the number of pilgrims who had come to Compostela was counted in more than 154,000, even though not the Holy Year. Moreover, according to data from the Office of the Pilgrim, this November 4172 people made ​​the Pilgrimage route despite the bad weather. Of these, about 1,900 were Spanish, 243 German, 214 Portuguese, as many Korean Americans and 207.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I would even say it has kept the economys of small towns and villages alive all across northern Spain. I passed through some places who would probably not survive were it not for the Camino and there were as many more who made no effort to cash in on the steady stream of pilgrims passing through. Opportuunities missed.

falcon269 said:
C. DIAZ PARDO
Pilgrims at the Plaza do Obradoiro in Compostela [...] In September this year, the number of pilgrims who had come to Compostela was counted in more than 154,000, even though not the Holy Year. Moreover, according to data from the Office of the Pilgrim, this November 4172 people made ​​the Pilgrimage route despite the bad weather. Of these, about 1,900 were Spanish, 243 German, 214 Portuguese, as many Korean Americans and 207.
What the article does not say is that arrivals in Santiago during November 2012 compared to those in November 2011, increased by + 0,7% of Spanish and + 32% of foreign visitors. The latter represented 56% of the total arrivals during that month.
Local Newspapers and Institutions are still not able to communicate in decent English. A mystery. :roll:

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
"missed opportunities?" Expecting perfect English?

You guys need to come over here and see how easy it is to start a business on the camino and keep it going. I know several people who make their living sheltering pilgrims on the Camino. Unless they were there from the very start, they are struggling to survive.

A rural village that offers nothing to pilgrims has probably seen several people make vain attempts to do so, and fail. Their every move is regulated by an army of bureaucrats and inspectors, their cleanliness, prices, and day-to-day demeanor are subject to brutal criticism by anonymous online Camino Experts... and the paying customers are pilgrims. People who might happily pay 100 Euro for a room anywhere else, but who wail about "violating the camino spirit" when their bed costs more than 10!

Rebekah Scott said:
"missed opportunities?" Expecting perfect English?

You guys need to come over here and see how easy it is to start a business on the camino and keep it going. I know several people who make their living sheltering pilgrims on the Camino. Unless they were there from the very start, they are struggling to survive.

A rural village that offers nothing to pilgrims has probably seen several people make vain attempts to do so, and fail. Their every move is regulated by an army of bureaucrats and inspectors, their cleanliness, prices, and day-to-day demeanor are subject to brutal criticism by anonymous online Camino Experts... and the paying customers are pilgrims. People who might happily pay 100 Euro for a room anywhere else, but who wail about "violating the camino spirit" when their bed costs more than 10!

Rebekah, I made it my business to learn basic Spanish when I went on the camino and no matter what country I visit I do the same, nor indeed did I brutaly criticise anyone, and one camino certainly does not make me an expert, any more than living in Spain makes you one.
I was referring to the camino being diverted several kilometers to pass through villages which offered absoloutely nothing to the pilgrim. Other places had set up small businesses in their garages and we were delighted to see these when in need of a coffee and something to eat. These are what I meant by missed opertunities.
My name is Pat Casey by the way.

Sorry. I get chapped when foreigners who spend a week or two here decide to criticise communities whose economies and attitudes go back hundreds of years. Most of the people in rural places are farmers or small craftsmen. They only know one way of life. Opening shops and dealing with foreigners and customer demands, not to mention to local tax authorities and health inspectors, is just more than they want to bother with, especially if the camino diversion is only temporary.
They see the world differently than us born-and-bred capitalists do.

They work to live, not the other way around. We do well to respect that.

Reb.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Local Newspapers and Institutions are still not able to communicate in decent English.
Please do not mistake a Chrome translation for anyone's ability to communicate in decent English! I would note that on almost any U.S. automated telephone answering system, one can get Spanish. However, I cannot get anything in English from Vodafone in Spain. Neither could my walking partner from England who had a Vodafone account in England...

Another cultural difference is what I call the Camino Business Model. It focuses on the wants, needs, and convenience of the business owner, not those of the customer. I accept it, but would point out that it is not a competitively successful model. The business that provides for the needs of the customer will eventually put the owner-centric business out of business. It might be a corollary to "the bad penny drives the good penny out." Ultimately, the customer, the one with the money, does not care what the owner wants, and will go where he can get his moneys' worth. I suspect that many long standing operators on the Camino will fail as the new businesses provide more of what the changing customer wants. That is, the donativo refuge founders as the modern albergue with separate facilities and internet gets the customers willing to pay ten Euro. The donativo place gets the freeloaders; the modern place gets the customers with money. There are unintended consequences, of course, as traditional places close. Like life, there are positives and negatives. I personally like the old way, but I honestly think it will go the way of the dinosaur.

falcon269 said:
I would note that on almost any U.S. automated telephone answering system, one can get Spanish. However, I cannot get anything in English from Vodafone in Spain. Neither could my walking partner from England who had a Vodafone account in England...

Vodafone Espana provide customer service in a number of languages. I've used it and they were very helpful:

http://www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/interes ... pport.aspx

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
fraluchi said:
falcon269 said:
C. DIAZ PARDO
Pilgrims at the Plaza do Obradoiro in Compostela [...] In September this year, the number of pilgrims who had come to Compostela was counted in more than 154,000, even though not the Holy Year. Moreover, according to data from the Office of the Pilgrim, this November 4172 people made ​​the Pilgrimage route despite the bad weather. Of these, about 1,900 were Spanish, 243 German, 214 Portuguese, as many Korean Americans and 207.
What the article does not say is that arrivals in Santiago during November 2012 compared to those in November 2011, increased by + 0,7% of Spanish and + 32% of foreign visitors. The latter represented 56% of the total arrivals during that month.
Local Newspapers and Institutions are still not able to communicate in decent English. A mystery. :roll:

This is Spain of course which uses a major world language. We might do well to learn it. I think the onus is on us to participate, rather than impose.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.