• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Journal- would you write in mine?

Would you anonymously write a journal entry for a stranger along the Camino?

• Yes

Votes: 19 59.4%
  • No

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Depends on how I felt in the moment of being asked

Votes: 13 40.6%
  • Only if I knew the person who asked me.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Only if I did not know the person who asked me.

• I don't know.

• Total voters

MeganG22

Time of past OR future Camino
SJPdP-->SdC
(Oct3-Nov3 2012)
Pamplona-->SdC
(Oct1-Oct29 2014)
Upcoming!
Pamplona-->SdC
May 1-? 2017
Hello everyone! A random question this morning.... I will be bringing a notebook with me along the Camino, hoping to write much much more than I did two years ago. I had an idea several months ago of bringing along a second notebook (very small, no weight at all =) and having people write their own thoughts in it all along the way- people I meet in abergues, people I have a coffee with at small cafes, people I may never even really talk to. It would not be organized any certain way, there would be no rules about it, it could be all anonymous... whatever someone felt like sharing, writing, quoting, or talking about. I did a version of this at a summer camp in Colorado this summer but didn't follow through with it as much as I wish I had.

So, my question: If some strange girl handed you a notebook and asked you to write something- anything- in it... would you?

Added a poll in here just in case it's easier ;)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Vagando2011, I think I would write in your journal if you asked me to, but I would request some time to think what to write - maybe half an hour or so. First of all, English is not my first language and I would need time to phrase the writing in the correct way. Secondly it is a huge thing to write in somebodyelses notebook and I would want it to be right - to have my thoughts come across in the way, I meant them to be...
I do think it is a good idea, very interesting and there is a great perspektive to it, you can end up with a wonderful selection of thoughts.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hello everyone! A random question this morning.... I will be bringing a notebook with me along the Camino, hoping to write much much more than I did two years ago. I had an idea several months ago of bringing along a second notebook (very small, no weight at all =) and having people write their own thoughts in it all along the way- people I meet in abergues, people I have a coffee with at small cafes, people I may never even really talk to. It would not be organized any certain way, there would be no rules about it, it could be all anonymous... whatever someone felt like sharing, writing, quoting, or talking about. I did a version of this at a summer camp in Colorado this summer but didn't follow through with it as much as I wish I had.

So, my question: If some strange girl handed you a notebook and asked you to write something- anything- in it... would you?

i think its a really lovely idea !! i wish i had thought of it when i meet some amazing people on my little caminos.but i would suggest picking the right time is very important,but yes great idea if done at the right time.

I think this is a great idea and I would gladly write something if someone asked me. But like Ekelund said, I would need a bit of time to think about what to write. Maybe I'll do something similar on my next Camino. But maybe I wouldn't read it until I got to Santiago or back home.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Megan - this is a fantastic idea. Something else which would be great is to have the sello of all the albergues, bars etc - anywhere where the people you meet write their entries - stamped in your notebooks and the date written in.
Cheers - Jenny

"Would you anonymously write a journal entry for a stranger along the Camino?

Only if I knew the person who asked me."

Some sort of contradiction there, methinks?:rolleyes:

But to be serious, I would be more than happy so to do.
Not sure it would be haiku quality or a deeply philosophical reflection on the human condition.
But I would try not to be too flippant....
....and probably fail!

Thanks for all your responses! And bystander- LOL, didn't even think about that ;)

I should add that I would absolutely welcome entries in other languages, long entries, one sentence entries, etc. It would really be whatever anyone felt like writing at the time- no need to be philosophical if one isn't feeling so! I imagine I will present the idea at various times, perhaps announce it to a crowded albergue room and leave the notebook on my bed or tell people about it before we share a meal, who knows. People can flip to a random page and write. I plan on having the self control to wait until I am home to really go through it all. Could be amazing.... I guess we'll see :) Thanks again everyone!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

I think at day's end , it might work for you. Understand that some walking pilgrims have a lot going on, pain, worries, sleepless nights. I think at rest stops they NEED their rest and may not be 'happy' to oblige. But I can picture many, at days end, after a shower and a rest who would be willing to share thoughts with you. I had a few walkers ask to leave a message in my little notebooks...one in Korean with little illustrations. Some left their favorite quote. Perhaps writers seek out other writers? Give it a try, but consider a bit of timing. Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back