• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Le Puy ending in SJPDP - anticlimactic?

brault-singh

Time of past OR future Camino
CF Sept/Oct 2015
CP Sept/Oct 2022
Good day. We are contemplating our second Camino, walking from Le Puy to SJPDP, but are thinking maybe it won't be as amazing as coming into Santiago. What are your experiences coming to a finish in SJPDP, where many people are just starting their camino?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I had the same concern. I've taken two groups of my students on the Le Puy route and struggled with deciding where to end, in order to provide a rich and satisfying sense of closure. The first time, we followed the GR-10 to Hendaye/Irún. I figured a challenging stretch in the Pyrenees, the arrival at the sea, and the crossing into Spain would all feel like a fitting end, and that was certainly true for that group.

I liked a lot of that, but it didn't feel like a satisfying end to pilgrimage, so last summer we ended in Roncesvalles. Once again, we had a mountain crossing, we had a border crossing--both good things. But, it was also satisfying to have the evening mass in Roncesvalles to bookend the morning mass in Le Puy, and it also felt special to spend our last day with so many pilgrims on their first day.

To actually answer your question, I'd worry that St. Jean might feel a little less special, with all of the tourists (so many now!) and nervous pilgrims who are still wrapping their minds around what they've gotten themselves into (not that this will have changed too much after the climb!). I was very happy with both the GR-10 and Roncesvalles.

walking from Le Puy to SJPDP, but are thinking maybe it won't be as amazing as coming into Santiago

Well, yes, maybe. I walked from Le Puy to St Jean, and thought OK, what do I do now? So I just kept on walking, until I got to Santiago :D.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
We walked from Le Puy to Pamplona. We had already walked in Spain and weren't sure what we would do once in SJPP. We walked until Pamplona and decided we were done and caught a train to Barcelona and spent a couple of days at Monserrat.
We don't tend to do the same thing twice. We like a new adventure so that worked for us.

Good day. We are contemplating our second Camino, walking from Le Puy to SJPDP, but are thinking maybe it won't be as amazing as coming into Santiago. What are your experiences coming to a finish in SJPDP, where many people are just starting their camino?

Hola - I have not walked Le Puy and the only in depth study I have read was from someone who was walking it as a prelude to completing the Frances. Thus for him it was not an ending but rather a short hiastis before resuming his walk. He walked in the Northern Summer and arrived in St Jean just as the summer was ending so it was a logical place to finish his walk.
If you want a larger place to complete the walk then maybe Pamplona is it; alternatively if you have walked one of the St Jean-Roncesvalles routes then you can walk the other. Also maybe do some off camino exploring. Cheers

The Via Podiensis, or Voie du Puy is beautiful, with very diverse scenery and heritage and quite a different vibe from the CF. I loved it. I hope you will too.
I walked from Le Puy in April '18, intending to finish in SJPdP. I arrived in St Jean three days earlier than my booked train home from Bayonne. I like the town, but it is small and I have stayed before during my cycle pilgimage.
After an afternoon's rest, a slap up evening meal and a morning 'goodbye' to those of my pilgrim family who were continuing over the Pyrenees, I was bored. So I walked the Voie de la Nive to Hellette (municipal gite) and Cambo les Bains - from where I caught a train-replacement bus into Bayonne.
Bayonne cathedral would be a good place to finish, perhaps? Great Basque city with real character. (And do have lunch at the atmospheric Bar du Marche!)
I intend to restart later this year from St Palais, giving my legs a couple of days warm up before the Napoleon route over the mountains and eventually Santiago.
Bon chemin!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I fully agree with others that ending in Pamplona or Roncesvalles would be an excellent terminus. I'm not familiar with the other towns mentioined, but I'm sure they're great.

I didn't feel any particular sense of wonder arriving in Santiago (and luckily I had been warned that many don't), though I did feel a sense of closure. I think the challenge with ending in SJPDP isnt the tourists, or a lack of grandeur. It's that those who are ending disappear among the hundreds who are starting a pilgrimage. It's a very different energy than any other stop before or after.

I loved the Le Puy route, and it was exciting and fun to meet so many fresh and excited and nervous people in their first day in Saint Jean. But I'm glad I continued walking. I'm not sure I would've felt closure there.

I walked the Piedmont two years ago. Most of the pilgrims were French, and most of them finished their walk in SJPP. To them, praying and attending Mass at Notre Dame (the old gothic church, just before the bridge) was the highlight of their pilgrimage. They were completely uninterested in the crowds going to Roncesvalles; to them, there was not an "us".
I´d say that the emotional relevance of a destination point is a very personal, subjective (and, given my own bittersweet experience in Compostela) unpredictable issue.
There is also a practical side to consider: SJPP is well communicated, with a short regular hop you are connected to the main railway network or an intl' airport. Roncesvalles, instead, could be difficult, and requires some planning.

We walked the Le Puy route to SJPP and continued to Estella where we served as hospitaleros. While SJPP is not like walking into Santiago the first time it was a great experience for us. We got to see and talk with many pilgrims just starting their Camino and were taken in with their excitement and energy. We also got to experience SJPP. On our first Camino we just arrived there, went to the pilgrim office and started walking. It's a great town and the energy is incredible.

As mentioned earlier, if you have the time, walk on to Roncesvalles or Pamplona. The crossing was just as great the second time. Dayton and Karen

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
We are contemplating our second Camino, walking from Le Puy to SJPDP, but are thinking maybe it won't be as amazing as coming into Santiago.
Which translates as, "We are concerned, having read the last chapter of the book first, that we won't find the earlier parts of the book quite as interesting."
My experience arriving in SJPP was the same as my arrival at the end of each year's stage in Nuremburg, Einsiedeln, Geneva, and even Cahors: the culture shock of returning to an urban environment after days of walking through rural countryside. Who are all these people? What is all this stuff in the shop windows? I have to wait to cross the street? What is with all this noise?

Have walked the Le Puy route twice and essentially finished in SJPP both times, although the second time my husband and I went to Orrisson the next day and then Roncesvalles, but caught the bus back to SJPP. It was a little anticlimactic...you have to kind of create your finish.
We went to the church and by chance met up with pilgrims we had met a few times en route, when we dropped into the pilgrims office. We all had dinner together and it was a nice evening.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
@brault-singh , good question.

I was passing through and spent the afternoon looking around. The place was full of day trippers.

For many the journey is the thing and any arrival can be an anti-climax. For me, the journey through France was very enjoyable.

A book-end for an arrival at Saint-Jean is an evening Mass at the Parish Church (Eglise de Santa Maria) on the Chemin de Compostelle, complementing the morning Mass at Le Puy Cathedral.

And stopping at Saint-Jean is not necessarily an ending. On the way from Le Puy I met many taking one or two weeks of their annual holidays to complete a number of stages and returning the next year to restart and complete some more stages.

Whatever you decide, kia kaha (take care, be strong, get going)

We walked from Le Puy to Pamplona. We had already walked in Spain and weren't sure what we would do once in SJPP. We walked until Pamplona and decided we were done and caught a train to Barcelona and spent a couple of days at Monserrat.
We don't tend to do the same thing twice. We like a new adventure so that worked for us.
I agree. I did the same thing. Having already walked from SJPP to Finisterre, I wanted to walk the route in France from Le Puy. SJPP didn’t seem like an ending place, so I went ahead to Pamplona (by taxi and bus, since crossing the Pyrenees once was enough for me) and then on to Barcelona. The next year I walked from Geneva to Le Puy. Ending there was wonderful! I had not seen Le Puy the first time because I had inadvertently decided to set off on the weekend of the grande fête de Renaissance and ended up having to stay 10 km away. The next morning the host drove me back to Le Puy, but the central area was closed to traffic and I didn’t see any of it.
Rowena

I love ending in SJPdP! As you arrive you enter through the arch and it felt like a wonderful accomplishment. After that experience, I felt the arrival into SdC was anti-climatic. No adorable archway, just a long haul to the Cathedral. That said... most French walkers end in Roncevalles.WP_20170511_13_01_38_Pro.jpgWP_20170511_13_01_38_Pro.jpg

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Le Puy to St Jean takes about a month. It’s a great route and you will feel good on completing it. You won’t get a certificate, even though you’ve earned it as much as anyone walking Sarria to SdC! Here’s what I’d suggest: walk to the point where you started the CF. We had taken a picture on the bridge in St Jean as we started five years ago, and then took a picture at the same spot when we finished Le Puy this September. This gave us a sense of completion and continuity. Much as we might have liked to keep going, there wasn’t time.

I walked the Piedmont two years ago. Most of the pilgrims were French, and most of them finished their walk in SJPP. To them, praying and attending Mass at Notre Dame (the old gothic church, just before the bridge) was the highlight of their pilgrimage. They were completely uninterested in the crowds going to Roncesvalles; to them, there was not an "us".
I´d say that the emotional relevance of a destination point is a very personal, subjective (and, given my own bittersweet experience in Compostela) unpredictable issue.
There is also a practical side to consider: SJPP is well communicated, with a short regular hop you are connected to the main railway network or an intl' airport. Roncesvalles, instead, could be difficult, and requires some planning.
Thanks Felipe,I’m planning to walk Le Puy- SJPP in September. I’ve done the CF twice and have no real need to enter Santiago again. The “going home” connections are great from SJPP and thank you for the idea of attending mass at the cathedral in St Jean PP. the Camino really is personal and each of us decides how we want to start, to walk and bring it to an end and then we also have the Camino surprises which will interrupt all agenda 🙂

My 2 trail pals and I came across a blind 68 year old French lady by the name of Linda Vincenze. We were walking from le Puy to SJPDP in April 2016. She had 2% vision which is legally blind. We found her in a forest on the Massif Central where she had been lost for 8 days and nights. Blind, lost in a damp forest with freezing nighttime temperatures, no sleeping bag, only a raincoat for shelter! She was in bad shape. She had decided to walk the Compostelle alone "no matter what". We had a quick conference discussion and immediately offered to lead her for the remaining 500+ kilometers. We took turns making sure she wouldn't stray more than a couple of meters from our heels. She relied on her hearing to keep her distance.
When we arrived at SJPDP it had been raining and we were quite muddy; by chance it was my turn to lead her for the last leg into town. Just as we arrived a large(ish) group of bus tourists, with cameras on the ready, were waiting at the edge of town to witness the "arrival of pilgrims". It seems there are bus tours that offer such cultural experiences. Linda couldn't figure out what was what, so I stopped and explained to her why dozens of people were crowding us making progress tricky. We were tired, hungry, cold and wet and really had to go for a pee.
She burst into tears.
The crowd went stone quiet, let us through, then we walked to the Le bureau des pèlerins de SJPDP where we all enjoyed a much deserved pee in privacy where each of us had the time to reflect on what had just happened. It was profound.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
...tourists, with cameras on the ready, were waiting at the edge of town to witness the "arrival of pilgrims". It seems there are bus tours that offer such cultural experiences.
Apparently the small-group walking tours of SJPP offer tourists a similar opportunity. I was sitting on the bench inside the SJPP entry gate, late of a morning, waiting for a friend. Along came a small walking tour (maybe 6-8) with a tour guide speaking English. The guide was giving quite limited and somewhat inaccurate information. So I piped up, told the pilgrim story, told my story, and let them try on my pack. Perhaps I made a few recruits? (Although I would not have made the effort with the busload cited above, I must admit.)

My 2 trail pals and I came across a blind 68 year old French lady by the name of Linda Vincenze. We were walking from le Puy to SJPDP in April 2016. She had 2% vision which is legally blind. We found her in a forest on the Massif Central where she had been lost for 8 days and nights. Blind, lost in a damp forest with freezing nighttime temperatures, no sleeping bag, only a raincoat for shelter! She was in bad shape. She decided to walk the Compostelle alone "no matter what". We had a quick conference discussion and immediately offered to lead her for the remaining 500+ kilometers. We took turns making sure she wouldn't stray more than a couple of meters from our heels. She relied on her hearing to keep her distance.
When we arrived at SJPDE it had been raining and we were quite muddy; by chance it was my turn to lead her for the last leg into town. Just as we arrived a large(ish) group of bus tourists, with cameras on the ready, were waiting at the edge of town to witness the "arrival of pilgrims". It seems there are bus tours that offer such cultural experiences. Linda couldn't figure out what was what, so I stopped and explained to her why dozen of people were crowding us making progress tricky. We were tired, hungry, cold and wet and really had to go for a pee.
She burst into tears.
The crowd went stone quiet, let us through, then we walked to the Le bureau des pèlerins de SJPDP where we all enjoyed a much deserved pee in privacy where each of us had the time to reflect on what had just happened. It was profound.
thanks for posting.
What a wonderful story. How kind of you.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I would never contemplate any Camino not reaching Santiago -- but then that's me, and I'm one of those pesky "purists" ...

I'm with you on that one.

Whilst I am 100% of the view that the "journey really is the destination" to finish elsewhere might seem a bit weird for me.

Though having said that, at the end of my first Camino arriving in Santiago was a total anti-climax. :oops:

But I had been warned by the good members of the Forum that this can happen.
So I took a bus to Muxia and sat on the rocks looking out at the Ocean........
Now that really felt like a fitting ending.

So I have just contradicted myself :rolleyes:

Confusing stuff isn't it? :oops:

My 2 trail pals and I came across a blind 68 year old French lady by the name of Linda Vincenze. We were walking from le Puy to SJPDP in April 2016. She had 2% vision which is legally blind. We found her in a forest on the Massif Central where she had been lost for 8 days and nights. Blind, lost in a damp forest with freezing nighttime temperatures, no sleeping bag, only a raincoat for shelter! She was in bad shape. She decided to walk the Compostelle alone "no matter what". We had a quick conference discussion and immediately offered to lead her for the remaining 500+ kilometers. We took turns making sure she wouldn't stray more than a couple of meters from our heels. She relied on her hearing to keep her distance.
When we arrived at SJPDE it had been raining and we were quite muddy; by chance it was my turn to lead her for the last leg into town. Just as we arrived a large(ish) group of bus tourists, with cameras on the ready, were waiting at the edge of town to witness the "arrival of pilgrims". It seems there are bus tours that offer such cultural experiences. Linda couldn't figure out what was what, so I stopped and explained to her why dozen of people were crowding us making progress tricky. We were tired, hungry, cold and wet and really had to go for a pee.
She burst into tears.

What a heart warming story.
And what Angels you were for that Lady!

When I walked through the Porte de St Jaques in SJPP in 2014 before starting the C.F. I knew that one day I'd be back. The morning I set out I lit a candle for my mother in the church of Notre Dame du Bout du Pont. I'm no longer "of the faith" but I know she would have greatly appreciated the gesture. Arriving in Santiago was an unforgettable experience. Then in 2017 I walked the Via Podiensis. After entering through the Porte de SJ and into SJPP, I headed straight for the church and lit another candle - a small ceremony of completion and gratitude. I then sat in that quiet, dark space for a while to process my emotions. Both entrances were equally unforgettable in their own way. Entering the Plaza Obradoiro was an exhilarating, energy charged, powerful experience. Arriving back in SJPP was gentler - more contemplative, one of quiet joy and gratitude.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
One of the many joys of walking solo is being able to decide when and where to end your walk, last year I walked the Le Puy route and when I got to Navarrenx I had done enough. There were more and more people on the route and booking accommodation a day ahead was getting more difficult. This year I am planning to walk the RLS route from Le Puy and at the end get a train to Carcassonne then follow GR78 toward SJDP for as far as I want to go, maybe a 6 - 7 week walk

.... alternatively, would it be an option to walk from SJPP to Le Puy? (Just throwing it out there?)
I saw, at best, no more than 10 people walking against the current. A few of those were doing a round trip on the GR65.

I liked a lot of that, but it didn't feel like a satisfying end to pilgrimage, so last summer we ended in Roncesvalles. Once again, we had a mountain crossing, we had a border crossing--both good things. But, it was also satisfying to have the evening mass in Roncesvalles to bookend the morning mass in Le Puy, and it also felt special to spend our last day with so many pilgrims on their first day.
Roncesvalles is a good idea, since it seems more spiritual than SJPDP. We stopped in Orisson last time and perhaps we'd be able to walk through from SJ to the monastery in Roncesvalles. Thanks, Dave.

€149,-
When we arrived at SJPDE it had been raining and we were quite muddy; by chance it was my turn to lead her for the last leg into town. Just as we arrived a large(ish) group of bus tourists, with cameras on the ready, were waiting at the edge of town to witness the "arrival of pilgrims". It seems there are bus tours that offer such cultural experiences. Linda couldn't figure out what was what, so I stopped and explained to her why dozens of people were crowding us making progress tricky. We were tired, hungry, cold and wet and really had to go for a pee.
She burst into tears.
WOW! What a Camino tale that is! God bless you!

(Ed) Completing one's first Camino in Santiago can stir a special emotion. But I would suggest that trying to recapture a similar feeling upon completing another journey would be difficult to accomplish. Frankly, I don't find walking into Santiago particularly nice given the nasty city portion you must navigate before you arrive in the old city. I actually enjoyed walking into LePuy this past year seeing the volcanic rock chapel and arriving at the cathedral (so whoever suggested walking from St. Jean to LePuy had a pretty good idea). When we did the Via Podensis, Joan was sick when we arrived in St. Jean. But we decided to walk on the next day and our arrival in Roncesveaux was very nice as I not only got to wade in the ice cold creek behind the albergue (so refreshing!), but we eschewed staying in the albergue and splurged on a room at the Casa de los Beneficianados and enjoyed a great dinner. Fitting "end" to our journey (we did walk on to Pamplona). My point is, special moments can happen at anytime along a person's walk. Just look for them and relish those moments. If you're like us, the end of a walk is just a pause until the next adventure starts.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
We are going to Puente la Reina. Have been to SDC 5 times.

I'm thinking about the Le Puy route summer 2021. Though haven't ruled out next summer. I like the idea of continuing to Pamplona. I liked Pamplona and I think it'd be really interesting to revisit the beginning of the Francés. See if I feel differently, see if I've learned anything. Good place to get transport off to somewhere else as well.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
.... alternatively, would it be an option to walk from SJPP to Le Puy? (Just throwing it out there?)
Actually it's not a bad idea, after completing our first Camino we made plans to return to St Jean and walk to Le Puy. However we got distracted by other paths and didn't get to it. We did manage to walk a section and it was amazing to dodge in an out of the forests past castles on hills and arrive in Le Puy. And I loved that the base is covered in walnut trees, made me fee at home.
image.jpeg

Most read last week in this forum

I am fine tuning my packing and I pre package my vitamins/supplements to take daily, which I have done for about 15 years. Do you all take them with you, or leave them home? 36 days of vitamins...
Dear fellow pilgrims! :) I hope to walk from Le Puy to Santiago later this year. I was thinking about starting at some point in august so that I manage to reach Santiago before it gets too cold...
Hey! Thinking about walking Le Puy this year. I am a solo female traveller. On my previous Camino (Spain) I stayed in municipal albergues, but this time I would like to try something...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back