• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Lebanigo - Any Info ?

polsmith63

Paul The Dub
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2013/4, Del Norte 2013/4 & 2016, Ingles 2013 & 2017, Primitivo 2016 & 2017,
VDLP (2018)
Hello all,

Heading off to the Camino Primitivo, Finisterre - Muxia loop and Camino Ingles if time permits on 10 August. Looking forward to it but already planning my next trip. I find that the next best thing about being on the Camino is planning the next one.
A couple of years ago while heading over to the Camino del Norte a native from Santander sitting beside me on the plane told me to visit a place called Potes if I got a chance. I thought no more of it until I chanced upon a leaflet in the tourist office in Santilla del la Mar. Two days later I took a detour from the Northern route and spent 2 days on the Camino Lebanigo ending up in Potes and the wonderful Albergue there. I would have loved to continue onward to Leon but had absolutely no information on the route, albergues etc. So the next day I got the bus back and joined the Camino del Norte.
I mentioned this to a fellow Perigrino recently and his reply was that "we have to do that one". But I have found it very hard to find any information on it. My query is two fold;

1. Would it be best to avoid it in the winter months ? I don't mind the cold and rain (I'm Irish after all) and could even handle a bit of snow but would prefer to do it with as little snow as possible. I prefer to admire green landscapes rather than a blanket of snow.

2. I remember a few years ago stumbling onto a very informative thread in the forum about the Camino Lebanigo. I think that Rebecca, Laurie and a fellow Irish Perigrino (whose name escapes me) who had recently completed it were the main contributors.. I would really appreciate it if somebody could point me in the direction of this or similar threads. I will update any information that I receive if and when I walk it.

By the way my 2 days walking to Potes were probably 2 of the best days that I have ever spent on any Camino.
Many thanks in advance to anyone that can help me out.

Regards

Paul

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi, Paul,

Technically, the Lebaniego goes from San Vicente to the monastery of Santo Toribio outside Potes, and the Vadiniense picks up there and takes you into Mansilla de las Mulas and on to Leon. It sounds from your post like you are interested in continuing on from Potes on the Vadiniense. On this forum, the two caminos are grouped together as the Vadiniense, and there are good, recent posts, most specially Tom's recent Vadiniense and Lebaniego posts/pictures.
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/forums/camino-vadiniense.100/

Take a look through the subforum, and also take a look at Ray y Rosa's blog: http://www.rayyrosa.com/nuestros-caminos/camino-lebaniego-vadiniense-2014

I don't think winter would be a good time to get through the Picos from Potes to Portilla de la Reina unless you are experienced in the snow, because there will be a lot of snow.

Since the route is so untravelled and you won't have to worry about a bed rush, I think full summer is probably the best time to catch it in all its glory.

Once you hit Portilla de la Reina, you leave the mountains behind and have a lot of flat and straightforward walking. I enjoyed it a lot but others might find it boring. Happy to help with questions, though my experience was a few years ago. Having Tom's most recent notes will be a big help. Buen camino, Laurie

As @peregrina2000 said above, the Camino Lebaniego ends at the Monastery of Santo Toribio de Liébana (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santo_Toribio_de_Liébana; if you read Spanish: www.santotoribiodeliebana.org). BTW, next year is a Holy Year Lebaniego.

On the Vadiniense, in winter you can find tons of snow. Snow can be found in spring too. That's a route to make in summer and even then be aware weather can change in the blink of an eye and you may find a drop in temperatures and/or fog and/or storms and/or wind...

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
While it was a few years ago that I walked the Vadiniense, I would be most reluctant to do it in winter, and I would never think of doing it alone in winter. While (as a Canadian), I am experienced in winter hiking, the rapidly changing conditions of the mountains would present you with a grave risk of tragedy, and your risk greatly increased if you had no experience of winter or mountain hiking. I know Irish weather well, having done a degree at TCD and having stomped over the ranges of Sligo and Donegal in my time, and winter in the Pyrenees is very serious business indeed. It would require IMHO an experienced team to do it safely in winter. Perhaps others who have done this Camino think that I am being too categorical, and I'm open to their opinions.

Guys many thanks for the very useful information. I didn't know about the Camino Vadiniense and the forum on it will be very useful.

I will avoid a winter trip, besides it is much more practical for me to wait for the summer schedule for the airlines that fly direct to/from Dublin to Santander.

I would urge anyone doing the Camino del Norte to take the two day detour to Potes/Santo Toribio. You can return to the Northern route by bus. In my opinion it is well worth the trip and the chance to experience some solitary walking in beautiful and varied surrounding.

Many thanks again for the replies.

Buen Camino

Paul

Guys many thanks for the very useful information. I didn't know about the Camino Vadiniense and the forum on it will be very useful.

I will avoid a winter trip, besides it is much more practical for me to wait for the summer schedule for the airlines that fly direct to/from Dublin to Santander.

I would urge anyone doing the Camino del Norte to take the two day detour to Potes/Santo Toribio. You can return to the Northern route by bus. In my opinion it is well worth the trip and the chance to experience some solitary walking in beautiful and varied surrounding.

Many thanks again for the replies.

Buen Camino

Paul

Hi Paul, I started my Lebaniego/Vadiniense in Santander and just wanted to add a heads up. The Vadiniense has more asphalt than any camino I've walked, I think, and when you combine that with the three-four solid days of asphalt from Santander to Comillas, you may be setting yourself up for some bad foot reactions. I had bloody blisters and had to take three days off in Leon to recover.

If/when I walk this route again, I will avoid those first four days from Santander, and either start in Comillas or San Vicente. Buen camino, Laurie

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I agree with you 100% Laurie. If and when I do it I will start in San Vincente. While the albergue in Comillias is one of my favourites I think that the route to Potes is long enough especially as I intend to do it in 2 days.
Thanks again

Paul

Most read last week in this forum

Hi pilgrims , last year i had some spare days and i walked from Irun to Santander , so my plan for this year was to start in Bilbao and walk to Santiago in 24 days . It turned out that i can...
Hi, ive been training for my CDN in two weeks time and thought i'd get some UK coastline under my belt (Scarborough to Robin hoods Bay). I have to say i was just not prepared for the amount for...
hello We plan to walk from Irún to San Sebastián first day in Mid May and looking for feedback on how long it takes. Think we are up to it but will be our first day. Thanks for your thoughts and...
Please, am I mad to contemplate the following combo: Norte: Biarritz-Bayonne-Irun-Santander (via Bayonne to get my legs going) Santander - train to Leon San Salvador - Leon to Oviedo Primitivo -...
I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
What is the most beautiful seven day section on the Camino del Norte? I have a good friend who cannot come with me for the entire walk. She is only available for a week. I start from Irun. She...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back