• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino legs

delaplana

Time of past OR future Camino
Please don’t judge. I just turned 70 and am in ok health. I walked the Camino in 2011. I trained hard before walking it and never felt better. Now 20 years later I’m going on a whim next week. I have private reasons for wanting to go. The thing is I’ve had no prep training. I’m starting in Saint Jean or Roncesvalles. How long do you think it will take me to get my “Camino” legs?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Please don’t judge.
I judge you to be taking up a wonderful challenge to yourself!

Welcome to the forum, and please post back here from the Camino!

You may or may not ever get the Camino legs that you want. But take 2 poles, a light backpack, and super comfortable shoes, start slowly, and keep going slowly!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I love the idea of doing the Camino on a whim. Go for it. Since you did it before, you already know what to expect. You may very well get your Camino legs sooner, and with much less trauma, than younger, less experienced pilgrims. Slow and steady will win this race.
Buen Camino!.

I think it took me about ten days for it to stop being a physical challenge, and I started from St-Jean too.

From that point on, my body started to accept that this is what we were doing now, and to stop complaining.

The one thing I might suggest is to start from Roncesvalles, to make it easier on yourself.

Just pretend that you're Spanish. They don't see the point of leaving their country to climb over a mountain to walk back in!

I dont know what your lifestyle is like, or what the terrain is like where you live, if you are fairly active I would suggest just be kind to yourself, take it slow, keep the pack weight down and/or sent it forward. I saw lots of people who hadn't trained, the ones doing best were taking it easy.
Otherwise you could start in Pamplona, and miss out the first few days of hills.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Please don’t judge. I just turned 70 and am in ok health. I walked the Camino in 2011. I trained hard before walking it and never felt better. Now 20 years later I’m going on a whim next week. I have private reasons for wanting to go. The thing is I’ve had no prep training. I’m starting in Saint Jean or Roncesvalles. How long do you think it will take me to get my “Camino” legs?
I start from Pamplona on March 30th. It will be my 68th birthday. Starting in SJPdP is not an option now. I have walked many Caminos, but at my age now after 2 years of the pandemic, I will take it real slow, especially the first 2 weeks. Then I'll go by feeling. I expect to spend at least 6 weeks, also because I can, as a retired oldie.

Seriously, it will take as long as it takes, and that is assuming your doctor is giving you a clean bill of health.

Ignore distance goals and go slowly from the start. Be very deliberate at maintaining a slow and steady pace. Let your body adjust in tiny increments. If you feel fine the second day, add 5% more to the distance you walked the first day. If you feel beat down and weary after the first day, only go half of the distance or less. As you begin to feel stronger, slowly increase your daily distance by no more than 10% until you have reached the maximum number of kilometers you want to walk each day.

You will also monitor your heart rate. The target heart rate for exertion or exercise for a 70 year old is between 75 to 128 beats per minute. This is not your 'resting' pulse rate while relaxing, this is the range to stay in while exercising or under exertion. Monitor both your pulse rate and how your body feels while walking. As you become more fit, you will find that you can exercise or walk longer while exerting more effort, but your heart rate will remain within that target range.

It is normal to feel soreness and stiffness and mild discomfort when first becoming more active as long as it it doesn't significantly keep increasing. However, pain is an indicator that something may be wrong. Things like raw burning heat of skin breakdowns, sharp pains in legs and feet, throbbing or searing pains around muscles or joints are examples of needed assessments. They can indicate things like blisters, fractures, sprains, muscle tears, or ligament/cartilage damage.

If pain is happening stop and get a medical evaluation. There is leeway in our younger years to try and 'tough it out', taking over-the-counter analgesics to mask the pain. But the older we get, the less margin for error there is for ignoring symptoms of pain.

The same holds true if soreness or stiffness and mild discomfort intensifies instead of resolving, stop and get a medical assessment.

Stay safe, and a Buen Camino.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I don’t train before starting any walk. I always go on a whim! The last time I went, I booked and left 2 days later. My suggestion is to stop in Orrison which is 4.9 miles (8KM) from SJPDP on your first day. It is important that you book for both Orrison and Roncesvalles. The Refugio at Orrison is small. The large albergue in Roncesvalles can fill fast because sometimes people are bused in to start their walk from there. Buen Camino!

three days

No judgment, so happy you are doing a Camino!

I would say, as an avid hiker and someone who works a lot with older patients, it is more about getting used to walking and honouring your limitations. Start walking now, with respect to limitations (don't push, it creates a foundation for injury). When you are on the Camino, rest when you are tired. Bring aides if you need them (braced, walking poles, etc.,), and don't be afraid to take a day off and rest in a town.

As a nurse, I often think of these sorts of things from a medical perspective. Make sure you have everything you need to be physically comfortable and successful. Take care of your feet and back. Rest when you need to and don't be afraid to ask for help if you need it. Don't be too hard on yourself if you don't reach your goal that day. Consider booking ahead to ensure you get a good rest - as I understand, some albergues may be quite full and you want to create an environment of success for your body. Drink lots of water and consider bringing electrolyte tabs/mixtures.

Buen Camino :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Two or three days ought to do it, based on my similar experience when I was 71

delaplana,

Be a snail; slow but, determined, until your body has found its way.

Whatever your age and fitness do remember that this is not a walk in the park! Just because so many pilgrims have been successful does not guarantee that all will be. Anybody any moment can fall or pull or break anything. The most common injury is the result of trying to walk too far too quickly carrying too much! Easy does it.

Take care and Buen camino!

delaplana,

Be a snail; slow but, determined, until your body has found its way.

Whatever your age and fitness do remember that this is not a walk in the park! Just because so many pilgrims have been successful does not guarantee that all will be. Anybody any moment can fall or pull or break anything. The most common injury is the result of trying to walk too far too quickly carrying too much! Easy does it.

Take care and Buen camino!
all this wonderful advice to us oldies neglects one thing, to hell with all the water and drink loads of vino tinto! Then you will have a REAL reason for the spots afore yer eyes!

:) :)

Samarkand

I often take my own advice just to be contrary ! :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I judge you to be taking up a wonderful challenge to yourself!

Welcome to the forum, and please post back here from the Camino!

You may or may not ever get the Camino legs that you want. But take 2 poles, a light backpack, and super comfortable shoes, start slowly, and keep going slowly!
I shall be doing it myself for the first time too a week after yourself on the 26th , so if I see you along the route I would ask if it is OK to give you a hug as I think your marvellous.
I have 7kg with everything just under my 10% of body weight of 82kg and my shoes will be the Merrell mqm flex 2 .
I can concur with everyone by saying walk slowly there is no rush nor is it a race ..
I just retired from work hence why I have the time to do it and be blessed with the freedom and what nature has in store ..
Buen Camino

It will be exciting for you to be back on the the Camino! A good thumb rule is that should have walked 1/3 to 1/2 of the maximum distance you plan to walk each day every day day for 1-2 weeks before you leave with 1 day each week at the max distance. It will make sure that your legs, feet, and shoes are ready. For example if you start in Pamplona and plan to walk 25 km (15 miles) as your maximum distance. You’ll want to work up to walking 5-8 miles every day for a week or two and walk 15 miles one day on the weekend before you leave.

Depending on your current level of fitness, it will talk 1-2 months of daily walking to work up to this. If you’ve been walking a bit, it will take less. If you are a bit out of shape it may take 3 months. In all cases, you’ll make just be patient and kind to yourself, adjust your goals and be willing to take some time, and keep your pack under 15 pounds.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
If you don’t push yourself too hard each day I would think it would take a week or two. My husband is 76 and we will be starting from France the first week of May. We plan on taking our time or all the time it takes. Buen Camino.

I did the SJPP-Roncesvalles in one stage, when I was 62. No problem at all, and I saw other people my age or older.
You may consider the "lower route", by Valcarlos (info in this same forum). It is a bit easier, scenic also. I would recommend a stop in the pleasant town of Valcarlos, so you split the journey. Note that it is lonelier, too.
As for the "higher" or Napoleon route, you may do short stages, go slowly and enjoy the mountain landscape. For example, day 1 from SJPP to Huntto (Ferme Ithurburia albergue), just 5 km. Day 2, from Huntto to the new Auberge Borda (4 km, it seems short but it is also the more difficult section). Day 3, Auberge Borda to Roncesvalles (I would strongly recommend the final section, after Lepoeder pass, by the paved road and avoid the steep forest trail); that would be 17 km.
Actually, I am starting to like this plan for myself.... In perspective, I think that in my last Caminos I was too centered in "doing stages" as fast as possible and less in enjoying places.
Buen camino!

Last edited:
I was 70 in 2017 when I started in St-Jean. I had walked a little in preparation but nothing like the mountains at the beginning. I was able to walk 15 to 17 miles a day, but didn't feel like I had my "camino legs" until after 10 days to 2 weeks. I plan to go back this summer and hope to be able to average 15 miles a day. Buen Camino.

I don’t train before starting any walk. I always go on a whim! The last time I went, I booked and left 2 days later. My suggestion is to stop in Orrison which is 4.9 miles (8KM) from SJPDP on your first day. It is important that you book for both Orrison and Roncesvalles. The Refugio at Orrison is small. The large albergue in Roncesvalles can fill fast because sometimes people are bused in to start their walk from there. Buen Camino!
Orrison will not be open next week, neither will the Napoleon Route, not till April 1 or later. So, if starting in SJPdP, Valcarlos is a good place to stop the first day. Otherwise, consider starting at Roncesvalles as mentioned.

Just like with any other physical activity it will take you some time to get fit for the activity you are doing. You'll be alright. You will enjoy starting in Saint Jean and no doubt this time of year you'll be walking the Valcarlos route to Roncesvalles. It's not as daunting as many make it out to be and both routes are walked by tens of thousands of pilgrims every year. Pilgrims of all ages and varieties fitness wise. If you want to you can stop in Valcarlos and split the section in two days instead of one.
As said already, pack as light as you can, take your time and know your body and its limitations. Also I concur on using trekking poles.

I am going to be 68 next week. Last year I walked 1150 from Sevilla-Muxia-Finisterre. It was my first camino since 2019. I have learned to actually train less then I did in my late 50's and early 60's. A few pilgrims have given you great advice.
it is more about getting used to walking and honouring your limitations. Start walking now, with respect to limitations (don't push, it creates a foundation for injury).
What Rick says above. There's no rule that says you have to start with a mountain! Start in Pamplona and do your legs and your heart a big favor... there are plenty enough tough hills from there.
When I factor in the amount of time I need to finish (Of course we both have the luxury of time at this point in our lives). I try to do no more than 20K for the first week or 10 days at a minimum. I also do not look at my daily camino as a 20K day. I look at it as four 5k walks. No matter how good I feel I will stop after 5k or so no matter where I am. Take my pack off, relax, eat and drink something. I usually break for at least 15 minutes. Lunch usually will be sometime after 10k depending on the time. I usually make a sandwich or have some sardines and fruit and if I am not in a town I will eat on the Camino and usually at the next town stop again and have a coffee. The most important thing you have to do is listen to your body and not a predetermined place where you have decided to stop. Going up hills I will often stop a few times even if I know I can go further. I want to give my heart a break. I have poles to push off with uphill and use the poles to absorb the weight off my knees and hips and zig zag going downhill. I slowly get my body into shape get my rhythm and my pace to where everything is a natural flow. I like to take a rest day early on my camino after 5 or 6 days maximum. If I do not do that I will do 2 days in a row of only 12 or so kilometers. As I gain endurance and strength I will walk longer distances but I always if possible keep things at 25k or less. I will still take a rest day at least weekly and do the 2 consecutive days of 15K or so. In this way I never stress my body. I never get blisters and have very little soreness in my back, hips or knees.
Also I would read carefully the tips @davebugg gave you.
Seriously, it will take as long as it takes, and that is assuming your doctor is giving you a clean bill of health.

Ignore distance goals and go slowly from the start. Be very deliberate at maintaining a slow and steady pace. Let your body adjust in tiny increments.
I don't follow exactly what Dave says but after 6 caminos I know what works great for me.
And remember, who gives a rat's A@$ what anyone thinks of the way you walk or how "short" your days are or how often you stop. They are not living in your body only you are. Walk your own camino. You have things you need to think about, or release or recover from. It is all yours. Start in Pamplona and buen camino.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I am going to be 68 next week. Last year I walked 1150 from Sevilla-Muxia-Finisterre. It was my first camino since 2019. I have learned to actually train less then I did in my late 50's and early 60's. A few pilgrims have given you great advice.

When I factor in the amount of time I need to finish (Of course we both have the luxury of time at this point in our lives). I try to do no more than 20K for the first week or 10 days at a minimum. I also do not look at my daily camino as a 20K day. I look at it as four 5k walks. No matter how good I feel I will stop after 5k or so no matter where I am. Take my pack off, relax, eat and drink something. I usually break for at least 15 minutes. Lunch usually will be sometime after 10k depending on the time. I usually make a sandwich or have some sardines and fruit and if I am not in a town I will eat on the Camino and usually at the next town stop again and have a coffee. The most important thing you have to do is listen to your body and not a predetermined place where you have decided to stop. Going up hills I will often stop a few times even if I know I can go further. I want to give my heart a break. I have poles to push off with uphill and use the poles to absorb the weight off my knees and hips and zig zag going downhill. I slowly get my body into shape get my rhythm and my pace to where everything is a natural flow. I like to take a rest day early on my camino after 5 or 6 days maximum. If I do not do that I will do 2 days in a row of only 12 or so kilometers. As I gain endurance and strength I will walk longer distances but I always if possible keep things at 25k or less. I will still take a rest day at least weekly and do the 2 consecutive days of 15K or so. In this way I never stress my body. I never get blisters and have very little soreness in my back, hips or knees.
Also I would read carefully the tips @davebugg gave you.

I don't follow exactly what Dave says but after 6 caminos I know what works great for me.
And remember, who gives a rat's A@$ what anyone thinks of the way you walk or how "short" your days are or how often you stop. They are not living in your body only you are. Walk your own camino. You have things you need to think about, or release or recover from. It is all yours. Start in Pamplona and buen camino.
Exactly likewise. I'll be 68 3 weeks from today, and it will be my starting day from Pamplona.

I think it took me about ten days for it to stop being a physical challenge, and I started from St-Jean too.

From that point on, my body started to accept that this is what we were doing now, and to stop complaining.

The one thing I might suggest is to start from Roncesvalles, to make it easier on yourself.

Just pretend that you're Spanish. They don't see the point of leaving their country to climb over a mountain to walk back in!
Roncesvalles sounds like such a great idea.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'm not sure why you think you would be judged.
Because of your age? I can assure you that there are many pilgrims older than you. I have a friend who walked his first Camino in 2017 at age 75, and completed the Francés again last year.
Looks like I may be moving (probably almost without a doubt back to PV this year) When you come down again I can tell you a great story about a pilgrim I met on the CP named Steve. He was 82 and looked 55. Often we would see him (he usually started before me) taking a nap under a tree somewhere along the way. On a 30+k day he arrived at the albergue only about 30 minutes after I did. He was married 5 times to different Las Vegas showgirls. He is one of the great camino characters of all time.

What she said.....and maybe consider starting in Pamplona. There is no need to torture those legs on Day 1 and acquire an injury from which you may not recover.
I agree "muchisimo." I was 74 when I began my trek and went over the Pyrenees in a cold rain storm. It took me 3 weeks of pain before recovering from that start. Pamplona is a great idea!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Start OLD and Finish YOUNG

When I was starting my first Camino in September 2017, the lady who registered me at the Pilgrim Office in SJPP was wearing a little snail brooch. She pointed at it, then looked me straight in the eye & firmly, but kindly said, :" Escargot! Go slow!!" Then she got me to say it out loud, to myself. She then repeated, "Escargot. Go slow!! Don't forget, & you'll be fine" . She was right.
Excitement, apprehension & adrenalin can distract you from listening to your body, especially at the beginning.
I will turn 66 somewhere along the Camino in early April this year, & I will continue to heed her wise advice & enjoy every beautiful, thankful step. 😄

Start trying to train NOW, before you go. Better yet, try to delay a few weeks to train. And Start in Roncesvalle. I decided, at the last minute, to go about 10 years ago (my first camino) with NO training. By about day 8 I started getting plantar fasciitis that progressively got worse. Luckily I only had a few more days before i was getting off BUT even with tylenol and narcotics (i brought for emergenc) the most i could walk was 3 or 4 hours in misery. So I worry that you will develop a problem that makes you leave the trail.
If you don’t change your dates, everyone is different, but you may want to limit to 3-4 hours a day initially, then slowly increase to another hour each week. You may have to max out on 7 hours a day.
Buen Camino.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I
Have never trained for a camino! Don't judge me for that either. I took a light pack (12 lbs. Without food/water) and started with a short day-5 k, then a 12k day, then went to 18k. Longer days after. I feel this allowed my body to recover from the flight andbtimebadjustment and the walking. No blisters and walking legs by day 4. No poles but that's a Marine thing. I can see the advantage. So I might consider choosing your starting point that allows these stops.

Take it slow and easy. Short stages. Bus or train now and then. I am 88 now, walk every day in my neighborhood but not very far these days. Followed, and enjoyed, Camino Frances at 82, Portuguese at 85 by doing it "my way". I don't know of any prize for speed on the Caminos. It is beautiful countryside, small villages, outskirts of cities that are not so pleasant, cities that you might want to explore a bit...... Lovely local people who are friendly. As you walk, it gets easier to go further, but if you push too hard too fast, "not so much..."

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I walked CF 2018 at the age of 70. Walked with a neighbour who was unsure of how his legs/feet would cope (he had major issues as a young man) so we took things easy - SJPPP-Orisson-Roncesvalles-Zunbiri-Zabildika-Pamplona - to start with. His legs/feet coped and I felt bullet-proof - so it took me less than5 days to get my Camino legs...

I wish you well in your Camino.

With not training in advance and going on a "whim", I would add to all of the above great recommendations to remember to stretch and hydrate, hydrate, hydrate everyday to assist you in alleviating tightness and soreness.
Buen Camino !

Im 70 in july and start from Lisbon april 27th. Ive done no training here in NZ for 12 months but all set to go. As said below, light pack, poles and good shoes and a good outlook do it your way and enjoy the moment. Bon camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I was 70 in 2017 when I started in St-Jean. I had walked a little in preparation but nothing like the mountains at the beginning. I was able to walk 15 to 17 miles a day, but didn't feel like I had my "camino legs" until after 10 days to 2 weeks. I plan to go back this summer and hope to be able to average 15 miles a day. Buen Camino.

I have no idea, but I wish you Godspeed and a buen Camino. You are an inspiration.

I'm very interested in hearing about your Camino as you walk. I'm 70 too and will be doing my second Camino Frances in May/June. I plan to walk slow and walk it all. Buen Camino!

If you want to start in SJPDP you could maybe think about getting your backpack sent ahead for a couple of days, if not longer, just to give your feet and legs a chance to adjust. I have done the whole Frances with a back pack and no longer feel the need to carry my pack the whole way. I am 68 by the way.

I start from Pamplona on March 30th. It will be my 68th birthday. Starting in SJPdP is not an option now. I have walked many Caminos, but at my age now after 2 years of the pandemic, I will take it real slow, especially the first 2 weeks. Then I'll go by feeling. I expect to spend at least 6 weeks, also because I can, as a retired oldie.
This taking it slowly is the best advice. Start your day slowly to warm up. And stretch at the end of the walk while you’re still warm.

@alexwalker , we start in SJPP on March 25th going very slowly for the first few days. Hope we cross paths. Buen Camino.

Hi delaplana: To all the wonderful comments and advice above, I'll just add this to, hopefully, make you feel even more confident about your journey. I was 75 when I hiked the CF out of SJPdP starting on Earth Day 2017. I was suffering from food poisoning I contracted in Bayonne (my own fault) when I passed through the Spanish Gate and up to Orisson. Not sure what took longer: getting over the bad food or getting my good Camino legs. I learned that, for me, it was about establishing a rhythm. I had no time constraints, so I purposely set out to enjoy every kilometer from start to finish. It helped I was solo and carried a light (12 pounds—without water and food) pack. At the end in Santiago I was tired, but could truly enjoy all the wonderful wine because I felt I had earned it. You will, too. Buen Camino.

As Nike might say, Just do it. I started the Via Francigena from Torino on Feb 19 and am currently in Lucca. My pack, with water and food, is 11kg and I weigh 70kg. Averaged 30km the first six days without any major prep before coming. My 7th day was 45km due lack of open accommodations. Don't make it too complicated. I feel the best way to get in good walking condition is simply to start walking. BTW I'm 71.

I am not a math whiz, but isn't '20 years ago' twice what it should be?

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.