• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Levante this morning

DuaneS

Time of past OR future Camino
April 4th from SJPDP - May 5, 2017 - Complete!
After finishing the camino frances in 2017, I decided I would move to Spain and live here full time. I chose the city of Valencia (which coincidentally this last year was voted the #1 city in the world for expats), and I've been super happy here. Obviously things in Spain aren't great in general right now with COVID, but I'm thankful at least we can still get outside and go for a walk.

Today I decided to follow some of the waymarkers for the Levante, simply because I've seen a few around town and thought I may as well get some exercise. Right now we can't move between regions, so while I could technically walk it for 4 or 5 days (until I hit the border between regions), I'll likely wait until things relax a bit, and then maybe walk for a few weeks on it. One of the nice aspects of having already completed one camino is that I no longer feel the need to arrive in Santiago de Compostela at the end - if I make it there again, so be it, but I'm quite content just walking along a few of the other caminos for as long as I have time for. So one day I'll try and walk for a while on the Levante.

But in case anyone is interested, here are a few photos from this morning for all of you here are patiently waiting to do a camino in Spain. Let's hope this year some of us are able to walk a bit on one of the caminos! Until then, buen camino!

Attachments

• IMG_1019.jpg
    IMG_1019.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 128
  • IMG_1023.jpg
    IMG_1023.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 107
  • IMG_1024.jpg
    IMG_1024.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 92
  • 2838E74A-8890-448D-88D6-706ECEB80ABF 2.JPG
    2838E74A-8890-448D-88D6-706ECEB80ABF 2.JPG
    4.3 MB · Views: 108
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
After finishing the camino frances in 2017, I decided I would move to Spain and live here full time. I chose the city of Valencia (which coincidentally this last year was voted the #1 city in the world for expats), and I've been super happy here. Obviously things in Spain aren't great in general right now with COVID, but I'm thankful at least we can still get outside and go for a walk.

Today I decided to follow some of the waymarkers for the Levante, simply because I've seen a few around town and thought I may as well get some exercise. Right now we can't move between regions, so while I could technically walk it for 4 or 5 days (until I hit the border between regions), I'll likely wait until things relax a bit, and then maybe walk for a few weeks on it. One of the nice aspects of having already completed one camino is that I no longer feel the need to arrive in Santiago de Compostela at the end - if I make it there again, so be it, but I'm quite content just walking along a few of the other caminos for as long as I have time for. So one day I'll try and walk for a while on the Levante.

But in case anyone is interested, here are a few photos from this morning for all of you here are patiently waiting to do a camino in Spain. Let's hope this year some of us are able to walk a bit on one of the caminos! Until then, buen camino!
Hi, DuaneS,

I have walked the Levante and always enjoy seeing pictures. I don’t know if you know about the Amigos Association in Valencia, but if you are a “joiner” type, you might find it interesting. @JLWV is the forum’s “link” to the Association, he is French but has lived in one of the little suburbs on the way out of town on the Levante. He actually joined some of our camino zooms last fall to let people know about the association’s activity and to give some specific pointers about the route. You could contact him via PM here if you wanted to find out what the association is doing. Last I heard, they were still operating, socially distanced and reduced capacity, but that may be different now.

You may already know this, but you could walk the Levante at least to Xátiva and use the Cercanías to bring you back and forth. It is almost all asphalt on those first few days, which isn’t ideal, but it would be much less annoying doing it one day at a time and having a break, rather than pound pound pounding the pavement relentlessly for days on end.

Lucky you to live in Valencia. I’ve only spent several days on several different occasions, but it has always seemed to me like a great place to live. Buen camino, Laurie

Hi, DuaneS,

I have walked the Levante and always enjoy seeing pictures. I don’t know if you know about the Amigos Association in Valencia, but if you are a “joiner” type, you might find it interesting. @JLWV is the forum’s “link” to the Association, he is French but has lived in one of the little suburbs on the way out of town on the Levante. He actually joined some of our camino zooms last fall to let people know about the association’s activity and to give some specific pointers about the route. You could contact him via PM here if you wanted to find out what the association is doing. Last I heard, they were still operating, socially distanced and reduced capacity, but that may be different now.

You may already know this, but you could walk the Levante at least to Xátiva and use the Cercanías to bring you back and forth. It is almost all asphalt on those first few days, which isn’t ideal, but it would be much less annoying doing it one day at a time and having a break, rather than pound pound pounding the pavement relentlessly for days on end.

Lucky you to live in Valencia. I’ve only spent several days on several different occasions, but it has always seemed to me like a great place to live. Buen camino, Laurie
Thanks for letting me know. I did know about an association, but haven't been in touch yet. I was already surprised walking around the cathedral in Valencia how little (basically no) emphasis there was on there actually being a camino starting there. I had to look pretty hard to find the marker near the cathedral the first time, and haven't seen anywhere to actually get a stamp around there (inside the cathedral I'm guessing?). I asked in several of the stores in front of the cathedral if they had a credencial, and many didn't even know what that was.

Thanks for the tip about Xativa - I didn't know that. How did you find the Levante in general? I may try and take a few weeks off in the next few months and walk some of it. I've only done the Camino Frances from SJPDP so far, and would really like to head back and do the first 7-10 days of that again. But I've heard there are some really nice villages along the Levante, so that would be a nice change as well.

And yes, Valencia is great. I am missing nature a bit right now, since I'm originally from Canada and we are mostly locked down. But thinking about future caminos helps bring the spirits up again. Buen camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
If you haven’t already done this, you should scroll through the sub form on the Levante. You will find a lot of reports back, including mine, with opinions and practical information

The thread that is pinned at the top is one that a bunch of us just finished, going stage by stage and commenting, to help a member who wanted to take a “deep dive“. I agree with you that there are lots of very nice towns to visit, and some of the days are just really spectacular. There’s quite a difference between Valencia and Santiago and all that comes in between! I would happily walk this Camino again.

Thanks for those photos, @DuaneS ! Can you tell us more about the precise locations, so we can imagine the start of that Camino?
I actually went looking for a map of where the markers are in Valencia, but couldn't find one. So here is a pretty rough layout of where I started (the cathedral) and where the markers go. I'll redo it again at some point and get it exact, but I'm pretty sure that's on the path, or really close. Inside the cathedral there is something some people claim is the Holy Grail. I at first though that was just made up for marketing, but the pope did use it once during a mass. I think it's one of two in the world that are contenders for the grail, but just tidbit of information for anyone passing through the city.

Attachments

• levante.jpg
    levante.jpg
    545.3 KB · Views: 109
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The first photo was looking at the cathedral; second one was right in front of the cathedral looking down at the first marker; third and forth ones are pretty close to the cathedral, walking down the first long stretch after the two jogs near the cathedral. That's one of my favourite streets in the city.

Here's a video I shot from in front of the cathedral. In normal times there would be tables set up everywhere in that square with people enjoying beers, tapas, and wine.

Attachments

• IMG_1022.mp4
    1.8 MB
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The river in Valencia is called the 'turia', and yes, it's lovely! I live less than ten minutes from it on foot, so I try to get down there as much as I can.
If its within your allowed travel distance, there are some fantastic walks starting from the Monestery of Santi Spiritu outside Gilet in the Calderona National Park. One of them is the Spanish GR10. I had a great weeks walking there in 2018.
Sorry for bringing this off topic.
PS say hi to Gulliver for me. :)

If its within your allowed travel distance, there are some fantastic walks starting from the Monestery of Santi Spiritu outside Gilet in the Calderona Nation Park. One of them is the Spanish GR10. I had a great weeks walking there in 2018.
Sorry for bringing this off topic.
PS say hi to Gulliver for me. :)
Thanks for the advice! And off topic, like off roading, is always welcome!

I too live in Valencia, well, just outside in Torrent. Quite agree, a great city to live in. As far as I know, the credential can be got hold of in the church San Juan de Hospital. A bit tucked away but very close to the cathedral; also very interesting to look around.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Can you tell us more about the precise locations, so we can imagine the start of that Camino?

I actually went looking for a map of where the markers are in Valencia, but couldn't find one. So here is a pretty rough layout of where I started (the cathedral) and where the markers go.

The Association’s guide (translated into English by a member) has precise walking instructions.

The guide is excellent. I bought a hard copy of their guide years ago when I walked, but JLWV tells us they have decided to keep it all online, accessible for free, and updated regularly. What a gift!

Thank you for sharing @DuaneS ! The Levante is on my wish list, once our Australian borders open up again.
Buen Camino

I met my wife in Valencia on a semester abroad in 1991 and I've been back at least once a year ever since to see the in-laws and friends (with the exception of 2020). I was going to spend a couple of days walking to Xátiva during our last visit in August 2019, but the cost/benefit analysis of offending my wife's parents by (literally) walking out on them and walking through a heat wave kept me in Valencia. Plus I had just finished my last part of the Frances the month before. I will do it eventually. The Levante will not be overrun with Peregrinos anytime soon so it will be a good choice for those seeking solitude for years to come.

It's so cool to learn there are people on this forum who live in and around Valencia! We've passed the love on to the next generation and our daughter made her first solo Valencia trip a couple of years ago. Vixca Valencia!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I met my wife in Valencia on a semester abroad in 1991 and I've been back at least once a year ever since to see the in-laws and friends (with the exception of 2020). I was going to spend a couple of days walking to Xátiva during our last visit in August 2019, but the cost/benefit analysis of offending my wife's parents by (literally) walking out on them and walking through a heat wave kept me in Valencia. Plus I had just finished my last part of the Frances the month before. I will do it eventually. The Levante will not be overrun with Peregrinos anytime soon so it will be a good choice for those seeking solitude for years to come.

It's so cool to learn there are people on this forum who live in and around Valencia! We've passed the love on to the next generation and our daughter made her first solo Valencia trip a couple of years ago. Vixca Valencia!

Yah, if anyone passes through Valencia, look me up. I doubt I can meet everyone, but whenever possible it's always fun to meet fellow pilgrims. I think I may do a blog entry at some point and list some of my favourite cafes/restaurants in Valencia - one of my favourite cafes passes about 100m from the Levante route out of Valencia, so it would be cool to help pilgrims and small businesses alike.

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back