• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Levante: Weather & Distance Between...

P

pilgr

I am thinking of departing Alicante March 1 (in 6 weeks). Any advice on expectations around weather? It looks like it is just a few degrees cooler (and less rain) than leaving April 1.

Any advice on distance between sleeping accommodations? While I have read about 50km days, is it possible to do this route with more like 20-30km days?

Thanks fellow Peregrinos!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi, pilgr,
Have you scrolled through the reports in the subforum? https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/forums/camino-de-levante.55/ Though there are only 111 posts, along with a few more in the "blog" subforum, I think there is ample infor there. I say that because I think that both Andy and Kevin walked in those early months. And there are several reports with lots of information on stages. I frequently walked more than 30, but never more than 40. And that 40 km day, which I think was into Toledo, could have been broken up.

I think you're right that March is historically drier than April, but historical averages seem to be all thrown out of whack these days. I walked from Valencia starting in very early May and put my rain gear on twice, once for about 90 minutes and once for about 20. But others have had much more rain, and some have had none! Hope you are one of the lucky ones. Buen camino, Laurie

Alicante is the starting point for Camino Sureste. Camino Levante starts in Valencia. The difference between the both of them is the beginning and near the end. They are pretty the same Camino in the middle.

For the Levante there are a few stretch where it is around 45 km. For those days, I just walked half way, then a bit of detour to a town with a hostal, back from the detour and continue the next day. Accommodations round about 20 percent you probably need to stay at a hostal, especially if you plan to stick to a 20-30 km daily. Also, a mobile phone with local sim card is important on this Camino. Almost no albergue will have people waiting for you, except maybe Zamora (end point of the Camino Levante and part of the via de la Plata).

You will have to either register at the police station or in many cases call the hospitelero. Tell him/her where you are in town and wait 10-20 minutes for them to come bring you to the albergue, give you the key and instructions where to put the key the next morning when you leave.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I walked La Plata several years ago. To me it was uncanny how town seemed to be spaced out 10km apart regardless of whether they were on the route or not. I am hoping that this is the case on the Levante.

Alicante is the starting point for Camino Sureste. Camino Levante starts in Valencia. The difference between the both of them is the beginning and near the end. They are pretty the same Camino in the middle.

For the Levante there are a few stretch where it is around 45 km. For those days, I just walked half way, then a bit of detour to a town with a hostal, back from the detour and continue the next day. Accommodations round about 20 percent you probably need to stay at a hostal, especially if you plan to stick to a 20-30 km daily. Also, a mobile phone with local sim card is important on this Camino. Almost no albergue will have people waiting for you, except maybe Zamora (end point of the Camino Levante and part of the via de la Plata).

You will have to either register at the police station or in many cases call the hospitelero. Tell him/her where you are in town and wait 10-20 minutes for them to come bring you to the albergue, give you the key and instructions where to put the key the next morning when you leave.

Thanks! I figure that I could cut this puppy down to 20km a day if I was willing to detour to towns. Yes, I know that the Levante starts in Valencia and Sureste in Alicante. I want to start in Alicante because I hear the beginning is much more picturesque (and less pavement) than the Valencia route. Otherwise, I see myself as walking to Zamora. So I suppose if asked, I should say Sureste although Levante sounds more important :)

It's a long time now since I walked it. There are a few more options for accommodation - the two 40km I walked (into Higeruela and into Toledo can now be split). There are a number of days though where you start in one pueblo and finish in the next one, which can be 25 - 30km. No bars, perhaps no water on the way. I don't recall a chance to detour - the pueblos in parts are far apart because that this where the water sources are.
It's a great route, an epic Camino

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
It's a long time now since I walked it. There are a few more options for accommodation - the two 40km I walked (into Higeruela and into Toledo can now be split). There are a number of days though where you start in one pueblo and finish in the next one, which can be 25 - 30km. No bars, perhaps no water on the way. I don't recall a chance to detour - the pueblos in parts are far apart because that this where the water sources are.
It's a great route, an epic Camino

Thanks Andy! 25-30km is doable. I am trying to avoid 30km plus, especially in the beginning.

Thanks Andy! 25-30km is doable. I am trying to avoid 30km plus, especially in the beginning.
The Stages I walked are here:
https://pilgrimpace.wordpress.com/2009/11/02/stages/
but this is old history now compared to other accounts on the Forum.
Just bear in mind about the water - there are long stages with none available on route. The Guide was good in warning about this.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I am thinking of departing Alicante March 1 (in 6 weeks). Any advice on expectations around weather? It looks like it is just a few degrees cooler (and less rain) than leaving April 1.

Any advice on distance between sleeping accommodations? While I have read about 50km days, is it possible to do this route with more like 20-30km days?

Thanks fellow Peregrinos!
A day or two ago I posted a list with my overnight stays, intermediate distances and prices in another thread. Just check Levante subforum and you'll find it as it is recent and my post was only the second one.

A day or two ago I posted a list with my overnight stays, intermediate distances and prices in another thread. Just check Levante subforum and you'll find it as it is recent and my post was only the second one.

@KinkyOne

If I get a local Sim card with a ton of data, can I stream you live with any questions via this website? Maybe I can set up a headset webcam. You seemed to have documented this route pretty well!

@KinkyOne

If I get a local Sim card with a ton of data, can I stream you live with any questions via this website? Maybe I can set up a headset webcam. You seemed to have documented this route pretty well!
Of course, no problem if I'll be home. But I'm pretty sure I will be most of the time :)
Did you find the thread/list?
I think I've sent you my booklet about Levante few months ago. Was that you?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Of course, no problem if I'll be home. But I'm pretty sure I will be most of the time :)
Did you find the thread/list?
I think I've sent you my booklet about Levante few months ago. Was that you?

@KinkyOne Yes, I have your booklet too. You even sent me a detailed, sheets and no sheets in each albergue. Impeccable attention to detail, albeit a very important one.

Okay, so everyone has their own style to walking. Only on this blog, would other walkers appreciate this fact. I figure I have the route/map thing figured out as I downloaded the route to my phone (with wonderful help from those on this blog). I am told the waymarking is fine. Plus, I am like you Kinky, I have a decent sense of direction. I am not afraid to use my Spanglish to ask for directions. If I get stuck someplace without blankets, I have the Kevlar survival sack (suggested by this blog for the odd snowstorm) to throw over myself to keep warm.

Hallo Pilgr
I start from Valencia the 10 th of March. Maybe I'm well behind you.
Buen camino.

Brandy

€46,-
Thanks! I figure that I could cut this puppy down to 20km a day if I was willing to detour to towns. Yes, I know that the Levante starts in Valencia and Sureste in Alicante. I want to start in Alicante because I hear the beginning is much more picturesque (and less pavement) than the Valencia route. Otherwise, I see myself as walking to Zamora. So I suppose if asked, I should say Sureste although Levante sounds more important :)
If you are starting in March you really should visit Valencia. Valencia is in 'fallas' from the 1st to the 19th March (the feast of St Joseph) in the early days there is not a lot of activity but the Mascleta at 14.00 is fantastic and there is a great feeling of fiesta. There are some photos in my blog: notdunroaminyet.blogspot.com for March 2015. I walked to Silla on my first day and got the train back in order to be there for 2pm, it also gave me a short first day and solved an accommodation problem.
I stopped in Toledo but I plan to start from Toledo again on March 1st, I'll be a few weeks ahead of you!
Buen camino

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back