• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino longing

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The Germans have another word that could be used in the current state of the world: Weltschmerz translating to ‘world weariness’ in the sense of "a mood of weariness or sadness about life arising from the acute awareness of evil and suffering".

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The Germans have another word that could be used in the current state of the world: Weltschmerz translating to ‘world weariness’ in the sense of "a mood of weariness or sadness about life arising from the acute awareness of evil and suffering".
That sounds Yiddish to me.

That sounds Yiddish to me.
Not surprising as Yiddish is a High-German derived language. Even the eastern dialects of Yiddish, which have more inclusions from Slavic languages, still are about 75% German in origin, I think. It basically started out as German written with the Hebrew alphabet. Much as Ladino is a Romance language derived from Old Spanish and basically started out as Spanish written with the Hebrew alphabet.

And then there’s good old Sehnsucht, a yearning and wistful longing... that’s what I’m experiencing, having left the Camino at Villa Franca Montes de Oca almost 2 weeks ago now, with albergues closing up ahead...

A selection of Camino Jewellery

That reminds me of a paragraph from The Old Patagonian Express when the author Paul Theroux reads to the (by that stage) blind Argentinian writer Jorge Luis Borges:
I went on reading this reproach to a traveler--just the reading of it made me feel homesick--and every few stanzas Borges exclaimed how perfect a particular phrase was. He was quite in awe of these English compounds. Such locutions were impossible in Spanish. A simple poetic phrase such as "world-weary flesh" must be rendered in Spanish as "this flesh made weary by the world." The ambiguity and delicacy is lost in Spanish, and Borges was infuriated that he could not attempt lines like Kipling's.

Not surprising as Yiddish is a High-German derived language. Even the eastern dialects of Yiddish, which have more inclusions from Slavic languages, still are about 75% German in origin, I think. It basically started out as German written with the Hebrew alphabet. Much as Ladino is a Romance language derived from Old Spanish and basically started out as Spanish written with the Hebrew alphabet.
I knew about Yiddish - I'm from New York, for heaven's sake - but I never heard of Ladino! I'm trying to wrap my head around old Spanish written with the Hebrew alphabet. Hmmmm I love it!! 😇

I knew about Yiddish - I'm from New York, for heaven's sake - but I never heard of Ladino! I'm trying to wrap my head around old Spanish written with the Hebrew alphabet. Hmmmm I love it!! 😇

I am reading THE TURN OF THE ERMINE, which is an anthology of Breton literature. Its in BRETON, FRENCH, WELSH and ENGLISH! Its doing my head in, in an amazing way. Definitely a book for those confined! I am currently reading only the English translations but my mind is storing this book up for a peek at the French translations and then the Welsh as that is a language which for the life of me I don't understand but would like to get a grip of! I need to be immersed as this post is very timely. I have waited since September through a long wet and miserable weather pattern for the sun to return. It has. Me? I'm over 70 with underlying health problems! You guessed it! I have to stay home! That is a very very bitter pill to swallow! I'm putting on weight and giving myself headaches with good red wine! Am I griping ? Yep! However, I have a beautiful view across the park and have a crick in the neck gawping at the sky for a more than ever sight of my swifts. Git those wings flappin kiddies! I need you.

The Malingerer.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I hope this posts and is not behind a paywall:

And then theres the welsh word ‘Hiraeth’ - untranslatable the welsh would say but when i lived in england and thought of Wales it was with a yearning heart and a feeling i was in the wrong landscape. Thats hiraeth to me.

As David Mamet wrote in several of his movie scripts, "Give it a name!" At last!

The name for my ache and my deep travel pain is "fernweh".

My name for it is zerocaminovirus20

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Normally I have an almost constant "Camino longing", but when I think of the Camino and Spain as it is now, the feeling is gone.

Normally I have an almost constant "Camino longing", but when I think of the Camino and Spain as it is now, the feeling is gone.
I live very close to the Caminho Portuguese. My suggestion would be to postpone for at least a year, maybe more. I think that foreigners have not yet taken on-board how they will be treated when travel does restart. Everything has changed. You will be treated with suspicion, even dislike.

Since i moved to Portugal nearly 4 years ago, I have been so blessed with the affection of the local people. For me, that continues. Unknown people however are almost being ostracized. I saw that this morning at the bakery, I was treated like a long lost friend, even at 2 metres! Then an outsider stopped for bread. So did the conversation until he left.

Sad but true. Spain and Portugal will be different to foreign travellers, even if you are a pilgrim.

After reading this post on another thread, my desire is even less!

After reading this post on another thread, my desire is even less!
And I should add that since i moved to Portugal I walk at least one or two caminhos a year and most months play for a few days walking on part of a Camino, somewhere.

Today if i walk a few kilometres with my dog, I am blessed.

Stay safe. Bom caminho

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I've always like the word "Sehnsucht", but what I'm experiencing now is more like "Fernweh" - and specifically for the Camino. Was planning on returning in 2019, but a family illness prevented that, then plans for 20, now that's dead, now hoping for September of 2021. Hoffentlich! !Ojala!

I've always like the word "Sehnsucht", but what I'm experiencing now is more like "Fernweh" - and specifically for the Camino. Was planning on returning in 2019, but a family illness prevented that, then plans for 20, now that's dead, now hoping for September of 2021. Hoffentlich! !Ojala!
Ernest would be proud of your aspirational goal. Es kann sein.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back