• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Loops

Skinnybiker

The Skinny Biker in Spain
Time of past OR future Camino
Norte, Frances, Torres, Portuguese all by bike
Not so much a question, more a statement of intent…. perhaps. So, I’m a biker not a hiker, I’d rather ride 100km that hike 10, I have ridden Spain coast to coast mostly on the Plata, the north coast from St Jean de Luz to A Coruna to Santiago finishing in Peniche, Portugal and the CF. Next, to “pick up” a few more Caminos the idea is to ride out & returns (loops) from Santiago; Camino de Fisterre y Muxia returning by Camino Portugues y Ruta del Mar, Camino Primitivo return via El Norte from Aviles and Caminos Invierno & Mozarabe. I’d ride mostly on the camino, pack a tent (and a bell) and ride for two or three weeks during September. The sequence of caminos and direction of travel has not been determined. So any thoughts, suggestions, ideas? Are any parts of any Camino better ridden in one direction than the other, any sights to see on or off the Caminos? Thanks

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I would only add that, in order to qualify for a Compostela - if that is of interest to you - you MUST cycle the final 200 km of any recognized Camino route into (directly before arriving and ending at) Santiago. Your "higgly piggly" routing depicted above, might be enjoyable, but you need to make sure you pick one 200 miles stretch terminating in Santiago and ride that segment.

On the Camino Frances, that generally means starting in Ponferrada - or riding directly from Ponferrada into Santiago along customary routes, road or trail. From the Portuguese it means starting in Porto, somewhere north of Porto, outside 200 km.

The Camino Invierno from Ponferrada is nominally about 250 km. So, that would work as well as riding the Frances directly from Ponferrada. So, too, the Camino Portuguese from Porto is about 260 km, more or less.

Of course, none of this matters if you are not interested in a Compostela.

Hope it helps.

Tom

If you are riding on the del Norte spend a few hours at Museo Altamira just a km or two south of Santillana del Mar and look at 16,500 year old cave paintings. Actually, incredibly realistic reproductions of the real paintings next door. Mind blowing!! Buen Camino and gracias for your bell.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Not so much a question, more a statement of intent…. perhaps. So, I’m a biker not a hiker, I’d rather ride 100km that hike 10, I have ridden Spain coast to coast mostly on the Plata, the north coast from St Jean de Luz to A Coruna to Santiago finishing in Peniche, Portugal and the CF. Next, to “pick up” a few more Caminos the idea is to ride out & returns (loops) from Santiago; Camino de Fisterre y Muxia returning by Camino Portugues y Ruta del Mar, Camino Primitivo return via El Norte from Aviles and Caminos Invierno & Mozarabe. I’d ride mostly on the camino, pack a tent (and a bell) and ride for two or three weeks during September. The sequence of caminos and direction of travel has not been determined. So any thoughts, suggestions, ideas? Are any parts of any Camino better ridden in one direction than the other, any sights to see on or off the Caminos? Thanks
Thank you so much,for the bring you bell mention (and a bell).👋Also a biker and hiker. Few questions ,Do go by distance first then time, or reverse. Or keep it under 200 km a day.
"Keeping my maths easy" 200km or 10 hours, you could write your GPS tracker In a (S) around Spain. Keeping it fun, but challenging.

Interesting that in the loop, pilgrims would see you coming. Appreciate the "bell" comment. Been blindsided by no-warning riders this is not the destination but the way. 😀

Few replies but then it could be that the more abstract & vague the question the harder it will be to answer and so because you should not ask a question to which you don't already know the answer here is my reply......

@t2andreo thanks for the reply and yes I know about the 200km requirement. Having already ridden the Norte, Frances and part of the Portugués I'm well over the 200km. This tour is about seeing more of the camino & more caminos and enjoying the experience.

@JerryStroebele thanks for the suggestion, I was on El Norte last year, stayed overnight in the "town of three lies" but missed the cave paintings - next time.

@Finian Curran don't fully understand the reply but I have never ridden 200km in a day; have ridden for more than 10hours though for a distance of about 120km (hilly days). It has been said by others that riding offroad / trails is about twice as hard as riding roads, hence 60 - 80km of trail / camino riding is good going.

@Parisian yes, there are advantages in riding a Camino the "wrong way". I particularly enjoyed riding the Portugués out of SdeC last year as it was a beautiful downhill trail and I could see all the peregrinos struggling uphill (and they could see me).

@Skinnybiker remember those wise words from another skinnybiker - "don't over-plan, over-think nor over-pack" and "keep it simple, stupid". So what I'd suggest is to get you and your bike to Santiago, lick ya finger to see which way the wind is ablowin' then just go and see where the Camino takes you. Enjoy.
PS: Don't ride in the rain

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Not yet from the Camino but flight to Santiago has been booked for 14th September, bike will be sent via Correos and all the camino routes are loaded on one of my navigation apps - esperándolo.

Update from Santiago: well I flipped this ride last week because of the weather then flopped back when the forecast improved. Correos took 46hrs to deliver my bike, it was raining on arrival today, saw some bedraggled peregrinos from the bus. Collecting bike tomorrow, start riding Friday. There is a journal on the bike touring website Crazyguyonabike.com, search for Skinnybiker. Hasta pronto y buen Camino

Most read last week in this forum

I Willl start biking from SJPD on 9.may with Ebike. I have a list of bike friendly albergs is there somebody who have experience with charging batery in such alberg. Do i need afdition 220v...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.