• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Madrid - accommodation, etc.

Ali@59

Alison
Time of past OR future Camino
Hi, I will be flying to Madrid in September and wondering if anyone has recently walked the Madrid route? I have been thinking of walking this way but concerned about lack of accommodation in certain stages, can anybody supply me with some useful information on what experiences they have had on Camino de Madrid? Cheers!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi, I will be flying to Madrid in September and wondering if anyone has recently walked the Madrid route? I have been thinking of walking this way but concerned about lack of accommodation in certain stages, can anybody supply me with some useful information on what experiences they have had on Camino de Madrid? Cheers!
Hello,

I walked it in 2019, just before Covid. I had a daily blog for the whole Camino, so if you want to look at that you can send me a personal message and I can give you my blog site.

Of the four full Caminos I’ve trekked, Francis, Plata, Portuguese, it was my favorite. Only saw about 8-10 other walking pilgrims (other than bicyclists) on the Madrid, and felt like I was on a quiet country road, and then merging onto a freeway when I continued on the Francis to Santiago. For me it was the best of both worlds, the solitude of the Madrid and then the busy social aspect of the Francis.

Ted

We finished the Camino de Madrid about 3 weeks ago. No problems finding accommodation. We only saw 3 other walking peregrinos in the whole 14 days. Loved it. Make sure to stay with Ray & Rosa at Manzanares & they will give you lots of hints.

We finished the Camino de Madrid about 3 weeks ago. No problems finding accommodation. We only saw 3 other walking peregrinos in the whole 14 days. Loved it. Make sure to stay with Ray & Rosa at Manzanares & they will give you lots of hints.
That I agree with! They were wonderful hosts!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Finished 13/7 after 13 days, Open albergues from Alcazaren and forward to Sahagun. Before that no problems with other types of acommodation.

Camino2022CaminoMadrid.blogspot.com

Just completed about two weeks ago. I echo what others have said. No probs with accommodations or stages. Temps were high 90s for first week. Had to adjust schedule.
Saw no other Pilgrims until three days left.
Very small towns may not have an open bar first part of the week.
Carry edibles in case everything is closed.
Larry OHeron

I thank you all for the very helpful comments. One question though, I know that its a quiet route and you mostly mention lack of pilgrims but what about locals etc were there many walking on outskirts of villages and towns?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Allison. I finished this Camino a few weeks back. Mainly pensions until Segovia then there are albergues. Given it’s so quiet I sometimes called the night before to advise ( and double check the hospitalero/a was around). Carry some food. Often the only fruiteria or tienda was closed. Carry all your water for the day - serious lack of fuentes. It’s a very different Camino, I personally loved it. Happy to answer any questions !! x

I used the guide issued by coded of st James in London. Worked very well. It is a nice camino

Hello Ali@59:
I virtually followed a woman who has recently walked the Camino Madrid. HeyRobin can be found on YouTube. She did a post for each day & it was really interesting as I’m planning to walk it next year. She was walking in the first heatwave.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hello,

I walked it in 2019, just before Covid. I had a daily blog for the whole Camino, so if you want to look at that you can send me a personal message and I can give you my blog site.

Of the four full Caminos I’ve trekked, Francis, Plata, Portuguese, it was my favorite. Only saw about 8-10 other walking pilgrims (other than bicyclists) on the Madrid, and felt like I was on a quiet country road, and then merging onto a freeway when I continued on the Francis to Santiago. For me it was the best of both worlds, the solitude of the Madrid and then the busy social aspect of the Francis.

Ted
I agree when I walked in 2018 we only saw a few (4-5) other pilgrims. Accommodations were not hard to find.

Hi Walli,

I'm walking the Madrid camino at the end of August, and was concerned about the albergues municipales at Santa Maria Real de la Nieve, Coca, Nava de la Asuncion being listed as closed on gronze.com. I don't know how accurate the website is. What was the situation with those albergues when you walked not so long ago? I try to stay at a municipal or parroquial albergue whenever possible. Thx

the albergues municipales at Santa Maria Real de la Nieve, Coca, Nava de la Asuncion being listed as closed on gronze.com. I don't know how accurate the website is
Gronze is extremely up to date and accurate. If Gronze says they are still closed (we do have confirmation from others that they have been closed), I would be pretty confident that they are still closed.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Yeah, the closed albergues seem to be between Santa Maria de la Nieve and Coca. The municipal at Villeguillo appears to be open. It's just that stretch out of Segovia up to Coca. If I end up somewhere with more expensive accomodations, at least it will be just for one night.

Gronze is extremely up to date and accurate. If Gronze says they are still closed (we do have confirmation from others that they have been closed), I would be pretty confident that they are still closed.
I and two friends start from Tres Cantos on 4 September. I checked the albergue in Coca a few days ago (called) and was told it is closed. We are staying in an appartment there. Looking forward to walking this route, only heard great things about it! Cheers.

I and two friends start from Tres Cantos on 4 September. I checked the albergue in Coca a few days ago (called) and was told it is closed. We are staying in an appartment there. Looking forward to walking this route, only heard great things about it! Cheers.
LarsN -- are you planning to stay at the Acogida de la parroquia de Santa Teresa de Jesus in Tres Cantos by any chance? According to gronze, they require 48 hour advance notice. I've tried calling them several times, but no answer. If you're planning to stay there, have you had any luck in getting through to them?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Have you tried WhatsApp?
I haven't tried WhatsApp. Don't carry a cell phone, and gave up trying to set it up on my laptop....I'll try calling the number tomorrow; otherwise, I will just chance it and show up.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.