• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Madrid again 2018 - anything new?

Time of past OR future Camino
2006 to date: Over 21 Caminos. See signature line
So my friend Patty and I are going to walk the Camino Madrid again in April/May of 2018.
Looking for updates on albergue prices since 2016, or are they about the same?
Anything new we need to know about?

Where have people been staying in Manzanares el Real these days?

Looking forward to this - treating it as training for my 2018 Camino Frances.
See you on the Camino!
Annie

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
@Anniesantiago
I blogged my first 10 days on the Madrid in May of this year here. Weather was perfect, and seemed better than it was for the people a week or so ahead of me
I didn't specifically keep record of prices but I didn't find any surprises, using the CSJ book for Kindle.
In Manzanares I stayed with Ray and Rosa of www.rayyrosa.com
http://www.rayyrosa.com/casa-de-acogida-la-encomienda-de-rayyrosa
This was a truly memorable stay with a very interesting family, who are steeped in the Camino, and many other things too!! Very highly recommended.
I was walking about a week or ten days behind @Undermanager and @Magwood, They and @peregrina2000 and @KinkyOne had extremely useful information.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi,

I'm on the Camino Madrid right now. I would not stay at the albergue in tres cantos again, mostly due to the hours, the police unlock it at 1030 pm and kick you out at six. It is only for three people, but another can suffer on the couch. I was there on a weekend and all hotel s I saw were booked. Next time I would take a train back and forth from downtown Madrid.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
@AZgirl thanks for useful information. @KinkyOne gave a similar description.
I stayed in Hostal Tres Cantos on a Thursday for €38 but had booked in advance, as I knew I would have been travelling since 0300 by the time I got there. It was clean and simple, and included breakfast. I would happily stay there again. It is a 'strange' town - dating entirely from the 70s. Looks a bit empty of people, but a vibrant cafe/bar/restaurant scene at night!
I hope you are enjoying the trip!

If you are not going to sleep in Tres Cantos, you don't even have to go through it, but from the perspective of how communities grow and thrive, it is really interesting. As @timr stated, it was "creatred" in the 1970s as a bedroom community for Madrid. This short article gives you a snippet. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tres_Cantos

There is nothing organic about Tres Cantos, except its street life, which shows you how Spanish culture can thrive even in such unnatural conditions. There are more of these planned and built communities along other caminos also. Valdesalor on the Vdlp was created in an effort to depopulate the rural agricultural areas around Cáceres and bring in rural folks. Riaño on the Vadiniense, and Portomarín on the Francés are also examples of a planned built response to the decision to flood the town to effectuate central government dam projects. Portomarín is, IMO, the one that has morphed into more of a "real" place than the others, but maybe that's because of such heavy camino-related development. This is one of the reasons why the camino is so appealing to me -- you get to see all aspects of Spanish urban and rural development, mixed in with great scenery and companionship!

@peregrina2000
Thanks Laurie, you have articulated something for me! I am city born and bred, and live deep in the countryside in Ireland and lived for many years in Africa, at times in exceptionally rural areas and at others very metropolitan. And I love cities!! And I miss them. I love the wide open spaces also, but have to say that that first day walking from the centre of Madrid, to its edge, and 'into the wild' and then to the fascinating new town of Tres Cantos contained a bit of everything, and as you say, a great way to get an insight into the cultural reality of Spain - (let me whisper it quietly) - moreso than on the busy-ness of the CF. Which I love also!

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I finished the Madrid route this afternoon. The only new news I have to share is a warning: If you roll into Santervas de Campos on a Tuesday, there is a guided tour of the church and the Ponce de Leon museum, there's a nice albergue, but there is NO FOOD to be had anywhere. The little store/restaurant is closed up tight on Tuesdays, the social club bar has only crisps to eat. If you're lucky the guy at the bar will ring up the mayor, and they'll find you a ride to buy some food... It's not a good situation, especially for people who do not speak Spanish.

Oh, and if you bring your own food? The albergue has a dining room, but no cutlery, plates, sink, fridge, or running water. There's a kitchen, but it's locked.

I actually stayed at the Holiday Inn in Tres Cantos, believe it or not, when I walked the Madrid. They were very nice and I was happy there for the night.

So my friend Patty and I are going to walk the Camino Madrid again in April/May of 2018.
Looking for updates on albergue prices since 2016, or are they about the same?
Anything new we need to know about?

Where have people been staying in Manzanares el Real these days?

Looking forward to this - treating it as training for my 2018 Camino Frances.
See you on the Camino!
Annie
Send me your email address I have an update of all the albergues, just walked the Madrid,Salvador and Primitivo

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Could you pass on albuerge info my way aswell? Doing it in december....

I finished the Madrid route this afternoon. The only new news I have to share is a warning: If you roll into Santervas de Campos on a Tuesday, there is a guided tour of the church and the Ponce de Leon museum, there's a nice albergue, but there is NO FOOD to be had anywhere. The little store/restaurant is closed up tight on Tuesdays, the social club bar has only crisps to eat. If you're lucky the guy at the bar will ring up the mayor, and they'll find you a ride to buy some food... It's not a good situation, especially for people who do not speak Spanish.

Oh, and if you bring your own food? The albergue has a dining room, but no cutlery, plates, sink, fridge, or running water. There's a kitchen, but it's locked.

Interesting comments about santervas de campos. I was the only one staying, had a beautiful menu of the day meal in the pub and had a private screening of the church. We all have different experiences.
The pub also put my fridge stuff in their fridge.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Annie. I made my customary spreadsheet for the Camino de Madrid (plus Salvador, Primitivo & Fisterra) which I annotated after the event. Plenty of info on albergues, costs, distances etc. You are welcome to take a look.
Buen camino!

Attachments

• Stages, caminos Madrid, Salvador, Primitivo, Fisterra.pdf
    129.6 KB · Views: 99
@Anniesantiago
I blogged my first 10 days on the Madrid in May of this year here. Weather was perfect, and seemed better than it was for the people a week or so ahead of me
I didn't specifically keep record of prices but I didn't find any surprises, using the CSJ book for Kindle.
In Manzanares I stayed with Ray and Rosa of www.rayyrosa.com
http://www.rayyrosa.com/casa-de-acogida-la-encomienda-de-rayyrosa
This was a truly memorable stay with a very interesting family, who are steeped in the Camino, and many other things too!! Very highly recommended.
I was walking about a week or ten days behind @Undermanager and @Magwood, They and @peregrina2000 and @KinkyOne had extremely useful information.
Thanks everyone for your amazing info. I will be starting out from Madrid around June 3 with my friend Jenny to Sahagun Leon Oviedo.
Hope not too late in the season as far as heat goes. Anyone else on the trail? Does anyone know if the Clarissa Convent Albergue in Medina de Rioseco vacated by the nuns has been taken over and is open again?
Thank you Gitti

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks everyone for your amazing info. I will be starting out from Madrid around June 3 with my friend Jenny to Sahagun Leon Oviedo.
Hope not too late in the season as far as heat goes. Anyone else on the trail? Does anyone know if the Clarissa Convent Albergue in Medina de Rioseco vacated by the nuns has been taken over and is open again?
Thank you Gitti
Hi Gitti, I will be watching for your report/blog on the combination of routes you will be walking. I've walked the Primitivo, but am very curious about the Madrid...and especially the San Salvador.
P.S. I will be on the Le Puy at the same time you will be in Spain.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi everybody, Which is the best way by foot : Uclès to Madrid or Madrid to Uclès (in july !)? And where find informations about accomodation ? Thank you

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.