• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Madrid, again :)

greenshank

Hey Ivar, can I please have a "Camino de Madrid"-branch under "The Routes"????
Or maybe not, since there are so few peregrinos on that route :mrgreen:

Anyway, for those who want to stay away from crowds it's a wonderful alternative!
Here's what I achieved so far and soon I'll be walking again, starting in Coca.
http://caminodemadrid.blogspot.com/

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Here we have it!

... there are not too many talking about this camino, but you may be able to convince some of them to walk it! I saw your blog, great pictures and great writing.

Un saludo,
Ivar

That was quick, Ivar!
And my blog on top *blush*
Well, I hope I can convince some! I think many doesn't know of this camino, I only happened to come across it on the Mundicamino website, exploring the alternatives to Camino Frances.
I will hopefully be in Santiago some time in late October. Unless I need another rest, that is. :mrgreen:

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks, Peter!
They do look similar! It's not the H. appeninum, this bush was over two metres tall. But I'll look into it :D .
I guess I'll buy a Spanish flora as soon as I have finished the camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Wonderful block, greenshank! It bring to me very good moments to my mind.

When you continue your Camino, don't forget to visit the albergue in Puente Duero, one of the best albergues you will ever find.

Buen Camino de Madrid,

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Oh merci for your internet site on the camino of Madrid !
I've been dreaming about it for a long time. Can't wait to read all about it.

Susan from Canada

I enjoyed the photos and blog, too. I am very interested in the idea of the Madrid - Santiago route. I didn't realize there was a proper route there, but I guess there are routes all over the country.
- Clare

Clare, this is a well known Camino in Madrid and in Spain, but not abroad. And it's a quiet Camino, with only few pilgrims.

If you need some information, please ask what you need it. For me will be a great pleasure to help you.

Buen Camino,

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Javier - abrazos!

Can you tell us more about this route - is it well waymarked? Are there guides available? How long does it take? Are there albergues/or hostales? is it tranquil and beautiful? Is there much road walking?

Of course, Johnny

Sometimes I've talked about this nice Camino.

It begin in the Iglesia de Santiago in Madrid, but yellow arrows begin very near Plaza Castilla, in the Paseo de la Castellana, in front of a "Rodilla" Restaurant. It's a well known kind of restaurant in Madrid, so it's easy to find it.

After that, it's very, very well marked. In a few minutes ¡¡incredible in a big city as Madrid!! you are outside the city. After that moment, there's NO PLACE to take fresh water until Tres Cantos (20 km), going into the town and returning to the Camino, or Colmenar Viejo (8 km later).

Here is possible to sleep in a pension. Who is interested please ask me and I'll give you the places, telephone numbres, etc.

Second day you have to arrive to Cercedilla, where is possible to sleep, to. Sleeping in another place than Colmenar or Cercedilla is completely expensive (we are talking about Madrid region) so it's a bit hard to walk the first 100 km. Because the third day means to climb up the Fuenfria (1700 mts high) and down to Segovia.

I'm not sure if there's an albergue in Segovia, but it's possible to find any cheap accomodation.

Segovia is very, very nice to see. The roman acueduct, the Catedral, the Alcazar, a lot of little churches, La puerta de Santiago, the templair church of La Vera Cruz ... it's an incredible place to visit. And to stay an extra night.

In Segovia the Eresma river welcomes us and come with us until very near Valladolid. We will visit Santa Maria la Real de Nieva, with an incredible claustro, the Coca Castle, Wamba, Peñaflor de Hornija ... a lot of beautiful places.

All this Camino is walked by forests, until Valladolid. In Simancas (beautiful town) begins the meseta.

Cuenca de Campos, Villalón de Campos (with his famous rollo from the XVI century) ... many little towns, until arriving Sahagun.

It's about 12 days walking. Albergues every few kilometres since Segovia. And a lonely, very lonely way until five minutes before Sahagún. And ... ¡¡IT'S A NO ROADS CAMINO!!

What a nice Camino!!

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
No, I'm afraid you've just read the best english guide of this Camino (It's a joke, of course). The spanish guide I read it's possible to download from the Madrid Association website (http://www.demadridalcamino.org)

One of the best albergues in any Camino is here, in Puente Duero, very close to Simancas. Don't forget to visit it. It's a five stars albergue. And very well attended.

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

The CSJ has a guide by Maurice and Marigold Fox
http://www.csj.org.uk/route-madrid.htm

Javier Martin said:
yellow arrows begin very near Plaza Castilla, in the Paseo de la Castellana, in front of a "Rodilla" Restaurant

the Rodilla restaurant is here, not far from the Bernabeu. That waymarking is new, though, isn't it, Javier? I don't remember there being waymarks when I was last in that area (several years ago).

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
JohnnieWalker said:
Yes, but Peter as I understand it - this is a modern route? How as it devised?
don't know that it's all that different from any other, is it? Madrid may not have been very important in medieval times, but the Fuenfria pass was a Roman road, Segovia and Valladolid important cities

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Peter, next time you come to Madrid, tell me to show you the first arrows inside Madrid, will be a pleasure to walk it again beside you.

The first kilometres outside Madrid are very near the "El Pardo" park. It was a private park for Francisco Franco. Today it's not allowed to access into, so there's a lot of deer and jabalies. Yesterday a stayed very near, so a could enjoy docens of deers just a few meters away. Incredible. 10 km from Madrid.

Buen Camino,

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain

For those that don't know this rather obscure piece of vocabulary, 'jabali' is 'wild boar'.

Javier, do you know what the status is with the link from Guadalajara? The Federacion page says the Asociación Alcarreña 'esta estudiendo un trazado', but it's been saying that for years. The wikipedia page http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camino_de_Santiago_Alcarreño [there seems to be a bug in the software that doesn't set up that link properly] says it's 'más que deficiente'. Is anyone working on this, or is this a dead project?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hola Javier,
A few weeks ago I sent you a Private message that you have not read... I wonder if you received notification that you had it in your mailbox. I know it was around the time Ivar changed servers and perhaps you have not seen it yet. I am coming to Madrid next week and am interested in locating the beginning of the Camino de Madrid... can you give me any further information regarding it and the Pilgrim office? Muchas gracias,
Buen Camino,

Hallo folks! I'm slowly beginning to upgrade my blog with the rest of my trip. The Madrid-Tres Cantos part is there now as well as Coca-Alcazaren.
Deirdre, where do you want to start? City centre, Plaza Castillana or outside Madrid?
The Amigos' office is very close to Sol:
c/ Carretas 14, 7, B-1 (metro Sol)
28012 Madrid

I started at the Santiago church in Madrid, but there are, as mentioned no arrows until Plaza Castillana, so I brought one of the free roadmaps. It was very easy to find the way, you just keep walking north on Calle de San Bernardo/Calle de Bravo Murillo. (the one issued by El Corte Ingles, it covers not just the city but the suburbs all the way up to Fuencarral.)

If you use google maps, you can use the "find directions" from Plazuela de Santiago, 28013 Madrid, Spain (That's where the Santiago church is situated.) :mrgreen:

I´ll go the Camino Madrid end of September 2008. Does anyone know cheap accomodation in Colmenar de Viejo and Cercedilla ? Many thanks.
McGregor

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
In Colmenar Viejo, look for the Hostal Chaveli (91 845 11 65). I've heard that the woman who run it is very nice, she is a pilgrim too.

In Cercedilla you can choose between the albergue Villa Castora (91 852 12 67) (1 km outside the town) with your own room, breakfast, lunch and dinner if you want ... and the Residencia Miradero de Calasanz (91 852 34 66). My information says that the first own is much better but ... I don't know exactly.

I hope this old information (taken three years ago) it's useful for you.

Buen Camino de Madrid,

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

Hiya,
I had difficulties finding somewhere to stay in Colmenar Viejo. For a town of it's size it has very few pensions and hostales. It may be wise to try to book ahead. Something I'm not prone to do, so after a few hours of wandering the streets of Colmenar I took the bus back to Madrid. Felt a bit stupid, but at least I got a room there :wink:
There's a hostal called Gran Hostal, not too cheap but an option if the small pension Javier mentioned is full or closed. They don't have instant internet booking, but you can dend them a mail via their web page. (http://www.granhostalelchiscon.com) I can't give a personal recommendation of the establishment, as I was refused. But according to their web page a single room is 44 €. Not too cheap, but after Segovia you will find free or almost free albergues! And next time, I'll either book with the Chavali or adapt the etapas so I stay somewhere else.

Check in with the Amigos before you start walking, you will get a list of albergues and other useful info!

¡Buen Camino!
:mrgreen:

I've just call by telephone to the hostal in Colmenar. The woman has told me that the hostal is still opened.

The best way to call her is phoning to her mobile: +34-626.88.22.37. I've been lucky to find her at home, but it doesn't happen always ...

And of course, in the Amigos office they know all the details about this Camino. And it's the best and easiest place to take the Credencial.

Don't forget to visit the fantastic albergue in PuenteDuero.

Buen Camino de Madrid,

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.