• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Madrid April 2019

marjude

Time of past OR future Camino
4/2011 VdlP,
4/2014 Rota Vincentina, Portugues.
4/2016 Aragones, Frances.
4/2019 Madrid, Frances
I’m starting my walk on April 5th in Madrid....On the 5th I will walk to Fuencarral and then catch a train back to my acc.... On the 6th I will catch train to Fuencarral and walk to Tres Cantos and once again go back to my acc, the 6th being Saturday night I could only get expensive acc in Tres Cantos so I will stay in Madrid again.... The 7th catch train to Tres Cantos and I’m on my way walking to Colmenar Viejo and stay the night there. I’m looking forward to this walk it sounds interesting, you all give it very positive raps. Thank you for all the valuable information about the Camino Madrid that has been posted and with Johnnie Walkers guide book I think I will be okay. I’m hoping to meet some other pilgrims along the way.
Buen Camino judy.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I’m starting my walk on April 5th in Madrid....On the 6th I will catch train to Fuencarral and walk to Tres Cantos and once again go back to my acc, the 6th being Saturday night I could only get expensive acc in Tres Cantos so I will stay in Madrid again....
Buen Camino judy.
Hi Judy
Such an interesting camino. I hope you meet a few pilgrims along the way.
I’m curious about your accommodation in Madrid. You must have scooped something reasonable to return to accommodation there a couple of nights.
Would you mind sharing the name of your accom in Madrid?

Buen camino
Annie

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Annie,
I usually stay at Hostal inn Madrid which is very well situated but it was booked out so I’m staying at Hostel Oliver, 69€ in a single room for the first 2 nights (that’s all I could get) and is a bit of a walk from things but that is okay. The next night I could only get dormitory acc 23€ which I will now cancel because answering your question got me thinking about all the coming and going I will be doing so I looked up Tres Cantos acc again and I can get a room for 65€ which is more than I want pay but after flying so far I don’t think I want all the hassle for the sake of some €’s.
Buen Camino, judy.

Buen camino, @marjude, I am another one of those who loved this walk. You may be heading for snow at Fuenfría, but it may be passable. I took a day walk from Cercedilla to Segovia once when I was in Madrid for a meeting — it was February but no problem. Others have walked in April and found high levels of snow. Hope you can get up to date weather info before starting out from Cercedilla. Looking forward to hearing how it goes for you, buen camino,Laurie

Accommodation in Madrid: I'm flying in on my own a bit before Easter to see old friends before my husband and son join me to continue our bit-by-bit approach to Via de la Plata. I'm paying €58 for TWO nights at Hostal Oliver, right next to Kilométro Cero, in April...

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
We are paying €83 for two people for two nights (double room + shared bathroom) at Hostal Abaaly, near the Church of Santiago, on the weekend of March 30-31.

We are paying €83 for two people for two nights (double room + shared bathroom) at Hostal Abaaly, near the Church of Santiago, on the weekend of March 30-31.

I’ll be interested to hear a vegan assessment of the Mercado San Miguel next door — I’m sure it’s a carnivore’s paradise, but wonder what you will see if you go. I personally find the whole place off-putting because of the crushing crowds and know that many madrileños avoid it like the plague, but it is kind of iconic now.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Annie,
I usually stay at Hostal inn Madrid which is very well situated but it was booked out so I’m staying at Hostel Oliver, 69€ in a single room for the first 2 nights (that’s all I could get) and is a bit of a walk from things but that is okay. The next night I could only get dormitory acc 23€ which I will now cancel because answering your question got me thinking about all the coming and going I will be doing so I looked up Tres Cantos acc again and I can get a room for 65€ which is more than I want pay but after flying so far I don’t think I want all the hassle for the sake of some €’s.
Buen Camino, judy.
Sounds good Judy.
I just looked up what we found in Tres Cantos. I had a gorgeous room in V P Jardine for E32.40
We found it very comfortable - everything was there that we needed . We ate dinner and breakfast there.
Tks for feedback re Madrid accom as I have booked my final 2 nights in Madrid before heading home and every place I’ve stayed before was full. I ended up making a booking in a dorm at ‘The Hat’ near Puerta Del Sol. Like you, best to have a booking in place . If you find a better deal, you can get out of it if time on your side. I agree too., that in your case, after flying that long haul, you’re not going to quibble over Euros. A comfy bed and peace is the perfect medicine...

As Laurie says above, I hope you find Fuenfria passable. It seems to be lovely conditions this year for walking (from what I’ve read on Vdlp threads anyway )... last March18 on CdM, we stayed with Ray y Rosa in Manzanares? . They are very knowledgeable.. they can give good advice on the track ahead. We were advised not to walkthe pass but get the train for the stage Cercedilla into Segovia.
Have a great camino
Annie

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for your comments and good wishes.

I found acc at Exe Tres Cantos 65€ for the one night, probably more up market than I would stay but then I’m a captured pilgrim 😉 The three that were named in our guide book were all booked out.

All this indecision about the first few days came about because my original plan was to get off the plane in Madrid, catch a bus to Pamplona and walk from there. Thinking when I arrived at Sahagun then go over to Madrid and walk the Madrid but I thought I’ve walked the Frances from Puente la Reina so I might as well just walk the Madrid Camino and if I had had that plan from the start I would have made all my bookings when I bought my plane tickets.

Annie
I have contacted Ray,Rosa and plan to stay with them and I will take their advice on walking over the Fuenfria pass.

Laurie and Annie
I had planned to walk by San IIdelefonso and have booked acc at Lis Hostel, if the pass is blocked is it still possible to go that way or does the bus go straight to Sergovia?

Buen Camino judy

Thanks everyone for your comments and good wishes.

I found acc at Exe Tres Cantos 65€ for the one night, probably more up market than I would stay but then I’m a captured pilgrim 😉 The three that were named in our guide book were all booked out.

All this indecision about the first few days came about because my original plan was to get off the plane in Madrid, catch a bus to Pamplona and walk from there. Thinking when I arrived at Sahagun then go over to Madrid and walk the Madrid but I thought I’ve walked the Frances from Puente la Reina so I might as well just walk the Madrid Camino and if I had had that plan from the start I would have made all my bookings when I bought my plane tickets.

Annie
I have contacted Ray,Rosa and plan to stay with them and I will take their advice on walking over the Fuenfria pass.

Laurie and Annie
I had planned to walk by San IIdelefonso and have booked acc at Lis Hostel, if the pass is blocked is it still possible to go that way or does the bus go straight to Sergovia?

Buen Camino judy
Judy
You’re getting very well set for a last minute change.
As I didn’t get to walk the Fuenfria pass when I was there last March I can’t answer your question ...
We caught the ‘TRAIN’ from Cercedilla to Segovia.

Annie

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I’ll be interested to hear a vegan assessment of the Mercado San Miguel next door — I’m sure it’s a carnivore’s paradise, but wonder what you will see if you go. I personally find the whole place off-putting because of the crushing crowds and know that many madrileños avoid it like the plague, but it is kind of iconic now.

I've been there a couple of times, though perhaps not since becoming a vegan. Seeing things like legs of ham hanging up is obviously commonplace in Spain, so while it's not pleasant for me to look at, I'm used to it by now. I don't get too bothered by things like this because otherwise a place like Spain wouldn't be much fun at all!

I’m starting my walk on April 5th in Madrid....On the 5th I will walk to Fuencarral and then catch a train back to my acc.... On the 6th I will catch train to Fuencarral and walk to Tres Cantos and once again go back to my acc, the 6th being Saturday night I could only get expensive acc in Tres Cantos so I will stay in Madrid again.... The 7th catch train to Tres Cantos and I’m on my way walking to Colmenar Viejo and stay the night there. I’m looking forward to this walk it sounds interesting, you all give it very positive raps. Thank you for all the valuable information about the Camino Madrid that has been posted and with Johnnie Walkers guide book I think I will be okay. I’m hoping to meet some other pilgrims along the way.
Buen Camino judy.
Hi Judy, Will love to see the rest of your walk. We are thinking of doing this next year. Are you still in Grafton?

Even if your transport goes directly to Segovia you could backtrack (taxi? Local bus?) to San Idelfonso. It’s just over 10km away.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Sharon, I will try to post some information when wifi allows.
Yes we are still in Grafton, we should meet up for a cuppa and Camino debrief sometime later in the year.
Are you walking this year?

Another option different to train is when the highway is in Tres Cantos there are some bus stops for buses coming from Manzanares, Cercedilla, etc that you can see from the path .You can take one of those to return to Plaza de Castilla (Madrid). Also the following day you can take bus 724 in PdC to Manzanares and tell the driver you want to get off in Tres Cantos in a stop near a bridge to cross the highway.
Buen Camino.

Buen Camino judy.
Hope you have time and inclination to share some of your journey with us Judy as the Madrid is the one I am hoping for next year.
Buen Camino

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Pelegrín, I have decided that I am better off to pay the higher price and stay in Tre Cantos instead of travelling backwards and forwards. I have made a booking and I’m already to go.
Buen judy

Hi Lainey, I would like to post about my walk along the way but technology is not one of my strong points so time will tell.
Buen Camino judy

Hi Sharon, I will try to post some information when wifi allows.
Yes we are still in Grafton, we should meet up for a cuppa and Camino debrief sometime later in the year.
Are you walking this year?
Yes. We are walking in Italy in September. Would love to catch up. 😀

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Good Plan :)

But much less hassle to take a train from Cercedilla to Segovia (40 mins) instead of bus if Fuenfria is covered in too much snow. And you can always walk or take a bus "back" to La Granja de San Ildefonso to see the Royal Palace and Gardens.

Have a nice Camino because it is one of the nicest!

Yes. We are walking in Italy in September. Would love to catch up. 😀

I think I have just worked how how to do the quotes with replies😃

I will be home in June so we can get together before you go. Looking foreword to it. judy

Good Plan :)

But much less hassle to take a train from Cercedilla to Segovia (40 mins) instead of bus if Fuenfria is covered in too much snow. And you can always walk or take a bus "back" to La Granja de San Ildefonso to see the Royal Palace and Gardens.

Have a nice Camino because it is one of the nicest!

Thanks for the info Kinky, lots of pilgrims are saying the Madrid Camino is nice so I’m looking forward to it. I enjoyed the VdlP so I’m thinking this will be similar with its moorish history.
Buen Camino judy

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks for the info Kinky, lots of pilgrims are saying the Madrid Camino is nice so I’m looking forward to it. I enjoyed the VdlP so I’m thinking this will be similar with its moorish history.
Buen Camino judy
I haven't walked VdlP yet but have seen lots of photos and video footage. If you like flat you'll have more than enough after Segovia. Few inclines but that'll be about it ;)

I arrive in Madrid on April 3rd then will take a Cercanias to Colmenar el Viejo and walk to Manzanares.

Thanks for all the information on the Puerto de fuen fria. I hope to make it but it's good to know there are alternatives.

I'm looking forward to this!

Buen Camino judy.

Judy:

The beginning of this walk is very flat and gentle. You could cut your first 3 days down to two by walking to Tres Cantos the first day. This would also eliminate the need to transport back and forth each day.

This is a very nice Camino. As Laurie suggested, check weather conditions before leaving Cercedilla. Cercedilla is the toughest day on this Camino (31km's) and more challenging if snow on the Mountain.

Ultreya,
Joe

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I think I have just worked how how to do the quotes with replies😃

I will be home in June so we can get together before you go. Looking foreword to it. judy
Great. Hope your walk is wonderful.

Judy:

The beginning of this walk is very flat and gentle. You could cut your first 3 days down to two by walking to Tres Cantos the first day. This would also eliminate the need to transport back and forth each day.

This is a very nice Camino. As Laurie suggested, check weather conditions before leaving Cercedilla. Cercedilla is the toughest day on this Camino (31km's) and more challenging if snow on the Mountain.

Ultreya,
Joe
Thanks for the info Joe,
I could have walked to Tres Cantos the first day but I wanted short days at the beginning of my walk and 31kms is to long for me so I’m walking via La Granja de San lldefonsa staying the night and walking onto Segovia the next day.
Buen Camino judy

This fall, I am planning to walk the Camino de Madrid to Sahagun, onward on the Frances to Ponferrada, then the Invierno to Santiago. I don't have a plane booking yet, but have committed to being a hospitalera in Najera for the last two weeks of September, then to Madrid to begin my camino. No camino last year, so I my confidence is a bit low to walk Madrid to Sahagun. But it seems somehow symbolic that I shall be beginning that walk on Oct. 3 from Madrid, exactly two years since I left Seville to walk the VdlP. The Madrid looks similar enough to the VdlP to be doable for me, and a lot shorter. I have already booked two nights accommodation in Hostal Abaaly in Madrid, close to the Church of Santiago and St John the Baptist where I shall begin my camino.
I have a copy of Johnnie Walker's 2017/2018 Pilgrim Guide to the Camino de Madrid and Rachael's (@Kiwi-family) blog and have been trying to plan my Camino de Madrid largely from these two sources. As Rachael also walked in the autumn, I anticipate that her descriptions can help me to formulate my expectations. I am hoping that walking the Madrid alone will not be more difficult than walking the VdlP. My main uncertainty has to do with leaving the Madrid to walk to La Granja, as she did. This direction looks desirable, but perhaps a little too off-route, considering my gift of getting lost. Specific directions would be welcome.
I would appreciate any observations on current conditions at Albergue Ane and in the village of Penaflor de Hornija, as the first is described as poorly cared for and the second (by Rachael) as very unwelcoming. I shall go on reading this forum and planning, but am hoping for 20-25 km days, with a very few 30 km days, if absolutely necessary. Anyone is welcome to point me to other current information (I am also checking Gronze). I hope to meet a few of you on one of my three caminos, and shall be transferring my camino patch to my new backpack to encourage this to happen. Buen camino to all. Edited to correct.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
This fall, I am planning to walk the Camino de Madrid to Sahagun, onward on the Frances to Ponferrada, then the Invierno to Santiago. I don't have a plane booking yet, but have committed to being a hospitalera in Najera for the last two weeks of September, then to Madrid to begin my camino. No camino last year, so I my confidence is a bit low to walk Madrid to Sahagun. But it seems somehow symbolic that I shall be beginning that walk on Oct. 3 from Madrid, exactly two years since I left Seville to walk the VdlP. The Madrid looks similar enough to the VdlP to be doable for me, and a lot shorter. I have already booked two nights accommodation in Hostal Abaaly in Madrid, close to the Church of Santiago and St John the Baptist where I shall begin my camino.
I have a copy of Johnnie Walker's 2017/2018 Pilgrim Guide to the Camino de Madrid and Rachael's (@Kiwi-family) blog and have been trying to plan my Camino de Madrid largely from these two sources. As Rachael also walked in the autumn, I anticipate that her descriptions can help me to formulate my expectations. I am hoping that walking the Madrid alone will not be more difficult than walking the VdlP. My main uncertainty has to do with leaving the Madrid to walk to Grajal, as she did. This direction looks desirable, but perhaps a little too off-route, considering my gift of getting lost. Specific directions would be welcome.
I would appreciate any observations on current conditions at Albergue Ane and in the village of Penaflor de Hornija, as the first is described as poorly cared for and the second (by Rachael) as very unwelcoming. I shall go on reading this forum and planning, but am hoping for 20-25 km days, with a very few 30 km days, if absolutely necessary. Anyone is welcome to point me to other current information (I am also checking Gronze). I hope to meet a few of you on one of my three caminos, and shall be transferring my camino patch to my new backpack to encourage this to happen. Buen camino to all.
Hi, @Albertagirl,
Sounds like a great camino!

I don’t think the physical part of walking the Madrid is any more difficult than walking the Vdlp, but it will be much more solitary. I met only two other walking pilgrims and was often alone, but that was years ago. But I can put your main uncertainty to rest, because Grajal de Campos is right smack dab on the Camino, no detour necessary. I didn’t sleep there, but I did walk around a bit. You can sleep there in the albergue now or continue on to Sahagun. The albergue in Penaflor is new as of 2014, so any older comments (including mine) are irrelevant. I don’t know about @Kiwi-family , but I have heard from other peregrinos that it is a good place to stay.

Buen camino, Laurie

Hi, @Albertagirl,
Sounds like a great camino!

I don’t think the physical part of walking the Madrid is any more difficult than walking the Vdlp, but it will be much more solitary. I met only two other walking pilgrims and was often alone, but that was years ago. But I can put your main uncertainty to rest, because Grajal de Campos is right smack dab on the Camino, no detour necessary. I didn’t sleep there, but I did walk around a bit. You can sleep there in the albergue now or continue on to Sahagun. The albergue in Penaflor is new as of 2014, so any older comments (including mine) are irrelevant. I don’t know about Rachel, but I have heard from other peregrinos that it is a good place to stay.

Buen camino, Laurie
Laurie,
I guess I was just working too late on this, for me, as I meant La Granja, rather than Grajal. I do associate the two places, as they are both described as containing palaces. Rachael mentions in her blog that she had specific directions as to where to leave the camino to take the route to La Granja. It seems like an interesting route and there is an albergue in La Granja, but without specific directions I would hesitate to leave my nice safe routing, as marked on maps.me to adventure crosswise to my main direction. Thanks for replying,
Mary Louise

I have a copy of Johnnie Walker's 2017/2018 Pilgrim Guide to the Camino de Madrid and Rachael's (@Kiwi-family) blog and have been trying to plan my Camino de Madrid largely from these two sources. As Rachael also walked in the autumn, I anticipate that her descriptions can help me to formulate my expectations. I am hoping that walking the Madrid alone will not be more difficult than walking the VdlP. My main uncertainty has to do with leaving the Madrid to walk to Grajal, as she did. This direction looks desirable, but perhaps a little too off-route, considering my gift of getting lost. Specific directions would be welcome.
I would appreciate any observations on current conditions at Albergue Ane and in the village of Penaflor de Hornija, as the first is described as poorly cared for and the second (by Rachael) as very unwelcoming. I shall go on reading this forum and planning, but am hoping for 20-25 km days, with a very few 30 km days, if absolutely necessary. Anyone is welcome to point me to other current information (I am also checking Gronze). I hope to meet a few of you on one of my three caminos, and shall be transferring my camino patch to my new backpack to encourage this to happen. Buen camino to all.

Hi @Albertagirl, I haven't yet walked the Camino de Madrid, but I'm making lots of notes in preparation for doing so in May.

I used the CSJ/Johnnie Walker guide as my starting point, but I've also relied on recent forum posts to add to or update the details in the guide. I'm finding Gronze to be a really helpful source of information, especially as it includes the La Granja de San Ildefonso option (here's another link about that). Gronze shows it as 25.6kms from Cercedilla, or 2-3 kms less if you stay in one of the Las Dehesas youth hostels.

I'm also very good at getting lost, so I'll be using the Buen Camino app to help me get back on track when needed (most likely when I'm heading to/from La Granja!).

In addition to the posts you've already mentioned, these ones were very informative re. albergues etc:

@timr:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/a-short-walk-from-madrid.47865/ and https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/a-short-walk-continued.51788/

@LTfit:

@Undermanager: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/and-we-are-off-daily-posts-from-the-way.47565/

There were lots of others too, but those are the ones I recall.

Happy planning and Buen Camino!

Nuala

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Laurie,
I guess I was just working too late on this, for me, as I meant La Granja, rather than Grajal. I do associate the two places, as they are both described as containing palaces. Rachael mentions in her blog that she had specific directions as to where to leave the camino to take the route to La Granja. It seems like an interesting route and there is an albergue in La Granja, but without specific directions I would hesitate to leave my nice safe routing, as marked on maps.me to adventure crosswise to my main direction. Thanks for replying,
Mary Louise
No problem finding the way to La Granja. The first asphalt road you come to after descend from Fuenfria Pass is the split. Just take it to the right and then you'll first descend to the right to Valsain. Go straight through the village, cross the river turn left on the CL-601, walk through La Pradera (it seems like Valsain and La Pradera are the same village) and after the village there's nice natural path on the righthand alongside the not so busy road directly to La Granja. The palace will be to your right when you enter the town.

As I mentioned in another thread I found albergue in Penaflor (that was in 2014) very nice and cozy. Fully equipped kitchen, fridge, washing machine, walled patio, two small dorms, nice toilets/showers.

Last spring I was in albergue in Ane and it clearly saw some improvements from 2014. Not much though, it's still very basic but adequate. One small room with two beds and large room with several more. There was also a heater in small room but it would be very hard to heat up the large room with it because of high ceilings (former classroom).
As you probably already know there's no tienda in Ane and the bar might be opened only for weekend evenings. If you don't want to carry provisions all the way this is what you can do. Last year we bought food and drinks in Zamarramala, put everything in my companions backpack and find a man that transport it to Ane. I called him as we arrived and half an hour later he was there. I don't remember exactly how much we payed but I think it was about 10€. A very small splurge to have nice self made dinner and cold beer in a village that has no facilities ;)

Buen Camino!

Last edited:
No problem finding the way to La Granja. The first asphalt road you come to after descend from Fuenfria Pass is the split. Just take it to the right and then you'll first descend to the right to Valsain. Go straight through the village, cross the river turn left on the CL-601, walk through La Pradera (it seems like Valsain and La Pradera are the same village) and after the village there's nice natural path on the righthand alongside the not so busy road directly to La Granja. The palace will be to your right when you enter the town.

As I mentioned in another thread I found albergue in Penaflor (that was in 2014) very nice and cozy. Fully equipped kitchen, fridge, washing machine, walled patio, two small dorms, nice toilets/showers.

Last spring I was in albergue in Ane and it clearly saw some improvements from 2014. Not much though, it's still very basic but adequate. One small room with two beds and large room with several more. There was also a heater in small room but it would be very hard to heat up the large room with it because of high ceilings (former classroom).

Buen Camino!
@KinkyOne
Thank you so much. That is exactly what I wanted to know. If I remember correctly, LTfit gives a photo of the junction on her post, but I was quite confused by it. The photo shows a muddy path, with a couple of direction markers in the foreground, but no mention of what the markers said. So I thought that this photo might point to many places on the route. "Go right on the first paved road after the pass" is clearer to my mind. I could see the route on gronze.com, but had no idea how to get to it from the main camino. I plan on walking along CL 601 the next day to Segovia, then probably on a couple of kms to the albergue in Zamarrala late in the day [or possibly splurge on a hostal in Segovia for one night, then on to Ane]. Rachael's comments on Penaflor are from last fall, so I wonder what is happening there. No one that she met in the village seemed to know where to get the key for the albergue, and she could not get the woman in the bar to prepare or help her locate any food, so she had to go on. To me, it just felt like a hostile environment. Or maybe the woman managing the bar was just having a very bad day. But if she may behave in such a way that a pilgrim can't find any food or access shelter there, I need to know it to plan for the eventuality. I will always try to find out what I need to know in the village bar. As for Ane, it sounds fine as pilgrim accommodation. I don't care if it is basic. But some comments which I read indicated that it was dirty, with garbage left by previous walkers and no materials available to do any cleaning. I am willing to take my chances, provided it does not seem to be too badly infested with bugs or rodents. This is beginning to look like a real adventure: one step up, or down, from the VdlP, depending on one's view of adventure.
Thanks again,
Mary Louise

@KinkyOne
Thank you so much. That is exactly what I wanted to know. If I remember correctly, LTfit gives a photo of the junction on her post, but I was quite confused by it. The photo shows a muddy path, with a couple of direction markers in the foreground, but no mention of what the markers said. So I thought that this photo might point to many places on the route. "Go right on the first paved road after the pass" is clearer to my mind. I could see the route on gronze.com, but had no idea how to get to it from the main camino. I plan on walking along CL 601 the next day to Segovia, then probably on a couple of kms to the albergue in Zamarrala late in the day [or possibly splurge on a hostal in Segovia for one night, then on to Ane]. Rachael's comments on Penaflor are from last fall, so I wonder what is happening there. No one that she met in the village seemed to know where to get the key for the albergue, and she could not get the woman in the bar to prepare or help her locate any food, so she had to go on. To me, it just felt like a hostile environment. Or maybe the woman managing the bar was just having a very bad day. But if she may behave in such a way that a pilgrim can't find any food or access shelter there, I need to know it to plan for the eventuality. I will always try to find out what I need to know in the village bar. As for Ane, it sounds fine as pilgrim accommodation. I don't care if it is basic. But some comments which I read indicated that it was dirty, with garbage left by previous walkers and no materials available to do any cleaning. I am willing to take my chances, provided it does not seem to be too badly infested with bugs or rodents. This is beginning to look like a real adventure: one step up, or down, from the VdlP, depending on one's view of adventure.
Thanks again,
Mary Louise
Sorry, I made a mistake in my previous post mixing Gotarredura and Zamarramala. I corrected it now :)

I checked my photos and some GPS tracks on Wikiloc and I'm not so sure about what I wrote before anymore. Even my photographic memory could do some tricks on me after 5 years. The split for Valsain might not be the first tarmac road because I think I walked on paved road before that point. Anyway I'm pretty sure this is the aerial photo of the spot where you have to turn to the right: http://prntscr.com/n03zmw

And the link to GPS track (although I didn't make that huge loop just before Valsain and instead took more direct approach through the village): https://www.wikiloc.com/hiking-trails/cercedilla-valsain-6677132

Hope this helps!

€46,-
The Madrid looks very tempting. This year I am set for Burgos-SdC in order to pay my dues with 14 days in the Pilgrim Office May 20th-June 3rd. But this Camino will be the next, higher powers willing ;)

How many days to do it? I prefer 20-25 kms days.

And happy planning & Buen Camino, @Albertagirl !

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The Madrid looks very tempting. This year I am set for Burgos-SdC in order to pay my dues for 14 days in the Pilgrim Office May 20th-June 3rd. But this Camino will be the next, higher powers willing ;)

How many days to do it? I prefer 20-25 kms days.

And happy planning & Buen Camino, @Albertagirl !
Within 20-25km per day I would suggest
- 25,2 to Tres Cantos,
- 25,3 to manzanares el Real (possible intermediate stay after 10,5 km in Colmenar Viejo),
- 23,5 to Cercedilla if you choose to stay in albergue juvenil at Las Dehesas approx.3km outside the town but still on Camino (possible intermediate stay in Mataelpino, which is 18,1 km from Colmenar Viejo),
- 27,3 from Las Dehesas/Cercedilla directly to Segovia or 22,5 option via La granja de San Ildefonso (and next day short 12,2 km to Segovia),
- 21,5 to Ane (intermediate stops in Zamarramala after just 3,2km or Los Huertos 12,8km after Segovia)
- 24,6 to Nava de la Asuncion (intermediate stop in Sta.Maria la Real de Nieva after 11,8km)
Then it gets a bit tricky, well depends on the previous stages:
- 9,4 to Coca, 16,1 to Villeguillo or 33,4 to Alcazaren. I did it in two stages, to Villeguillo and next day to Alcazaren and enjoyed it thoroughly,
- 24,9 to Puente Duero.
I know @peregrina2000 would suggest 13km detour to Valladolid from Puente Duero :) but if you continue straight on the Camino then:
- 27,4 to Penaflor de Hornija (intermediate stop after 12,7km in Cigunuela),
- 24,3 to Medina de Rioseco (or 23,7 from Cigunuela to Castromonte which I would suggest if you take detour walking to Valladolid and back to Camino),
- 25,3 to Cuenca de Campos but I think I walked slightly different route than Gronze has it and it might be slightly shorter and more important nicer,
- 21,6 to Santervas de Campos (intermediate stop in Villalon de Campos but only 5,4km after Cuenca so it would be more than 30km of flat terrain from Cuenca),
- 19,2 to Sahagun although I stopped in Grajal de Campos (which is by Gronze 29,8km from Villalon but I can guarantee it's less because I came from Villalon to Santervas so early that I decided to push on to Grajal). And there is only 5,6km from Grajal to Sahagun so you don't have to make it your stage end ;)

Anyway after Segovia you have quite a lot of wiggle room for different, longer or shorter stages.

It's beautiful Camino especially if you like Tierra de Campos aka Meseta. Go for it!

...Anyway after Segovia you have quite a lot of wiggle room for different, longer or shorter stages.

It's beautiful Camino especially if you like Tierra de Campos aka Meseta. Go for it!
Thank you so much! It's been on my list for a long time, and which I am reading up on right now as we speak! And combine it with the Invierno, thanks to your posts and especially the good writings of @peregrina2000. Next time!

And yes, I love the Meseta: Will do it in April-May, once more. And Agree: Easy walking, like VDlP, which is a grand and fantastic, historical Camino.

Thank you again.

Within 20-25km per day I would suggest
- 25,2 to Tres Cantos,
- 25,3 to manzanares el Real (possible intermediate stay after 10,5 km in Colmenar Viejo),
- 23,5 to Cercedilla if you choose to stay in albergue juvenil at Las Dehesas approx.3km outside the town but still on Camino (possible intermediate stay in Mataelpino, which is 18,1 km from Colmenar Viejo),
- 27,3 from Las Dehesas/Cercedilla directly to Segovia or 22,5 option via La granja de San Ildefonso (and next day short 12,2 km to Segovia),
- 21,5 to Ane (intermediate stops in Zamarramala after just 3,2km or Los Huertos 12,8km after Segovia)
- 24,6 to Nava de la Asuncion (intermediate stop in Sta.Maria la Real de Nieva after 11,8km)
Then it gets a bit tricky, well depends on the previous stages:
- 9,4 to Coca, 16,1 to Villeguillo or 33,4 to Alcazaren. I did it in two stages, to Villeguillo and next day to Alcazaren and enjoyed it thoroughly,
- 24,9 to Puente Duero.
I know @peregrina2000 would suggest 13km detour to Valladolid from Puente Duero :) but if you continue straight on the Camino then:
- 27,4 to Penaflor de Hornija (intermediate stop after 12,7km in Cigunuela),
- 24,3 to Medina de Rioseco (or 23,7 from Cigunuela to Castromonte which I would suggest if you take detour walking to Valladolid and back to Camino),
- 25,3 to Cuenca de Campos but I think I walked slightly different route than Gronze has it and it might be slightly shorter and more important nicer,
- 21,6 to Santervas de Campos (intermediate stop in Villalon de Campos but only 5,4km after Cuenca so it would be more than 30km of flat terrain from Cuenca),
- 19,2 to Sahagun although I stopped in Grajal de Campos (which is by Gronze 29,8km from Villalon but I can guarantee it's less because I came from Villalon to Santervas so early that I decided to push on to Grajal). And there is only 5,6km from Grajal to Sahagun so you don't have to make it your stage end ;)

Anyway after Segovia you have quite a lot of wiggle room for different, longer or shorter stages.

Your detailed itineray seems to match my daily distances perfectly: Thank you again. Will be saved and printed! :):cool:

As you probably already know there's no tienda in Ane and the bar might be opened only for weekend evenings. If you don't want to carry provisions all the way this is what you can do. Last year we bought food and drinks in Zamarramala, put everything in my companions backpack and find a man that transport it to Ane. I called him as we arrived and half an hour later he was there. I don't remember exactly how much we payed but I think it was about 10€. A very small splurge to have nice self made dinner and cold beer in a village that has no facilities ;)

Buen Camino!
Hello. Do you know of a place to stay in Los huertos? I'll be leaving Segovia tomorrow morning and I'm trying to figure out my destination for the day. Thank you

Hello. Do you know of a place to stay in Los huertos? I'll be leaving Segovia tomorrow morning and I'm trying to figure out my destination for the day. Thank you
It's right on the Camino, close to the bar, and easy to find.

Buen Camino!

It's right on the Camino, close to the bar, and easy to find.

Buen Camino!
@KinkyOne
Gronze states that the new albergue is beside the Ayuntamiento, which on maps.me appears to be a short distance from the camino route and from Bar El Chileno, which is the only bar that appears on maps.me. However, the village is small, so it should be possible to locate the albergue.

@KinkyOne
Gronze states that the new albergue is beside the Ayuntamiento, which on maps.me appears to be a short distance from the camino route and from Bar El Chileno, which is the only bar that appears on maps.me. However, the village is small, so it should be possible to locate the albergue.
Albergue is in small side street that runs into the street (Calle del Ebano) which Camino takes. So maybe I should use "almost" too. But you're right the village is quite small.

Albergue is in small side street that runs into the street (Calle del Ebano) which Camino takes. So maybe I should use "almost" too. But you're right the village is quite small.
You guys are great. Thank you

Hi Chito, the albergue is not near the bar. It’s up around the corner from Ayuntamiento the building I described in my other post you. It’s a very small village and you would think that all the villagers would know were the albergue is.
Buen Camino.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

A couple days ago I started the Camino Madrid from Segovia. Some of you may recall that I posted a few months ago looking for a relatively flat Camino to test out my body to find out if I could...
We planning a Camino Mixto of Camino Madrid/Salvador/Primitivo starting in early April next year. April 13-20 is Semana Santa next year We will probably fly in to Barcelona on 4th April and play...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.