• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Camino Madrid at the mo.....

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Having walked this twice, does anyone have some thoughts about the accommodation situation at the moment? If you set off in a few weeks, I wonder what you'd find?

Currently re-looking at options for a trip sooner rather than later and I do like the Madrid ...
Best to ask @rayyrosa for the current situation.

Having walked this twice, does anyone have some thoughts about the accommodation situation at the moment? If you set off in a few weeks, I wonder what you'd find?

Currently re-looking at options for a trip sooner rather than later and I do like the Madrid ...
Burn Camino, said with envy 🥳

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Currently walking, will be in Segovia by tomorrow. Accommodation is a real problem with all albergues closed. Many hotels have no vacancies and prices are high so far.
However it is a wonderful walk

Currently walking, will be in Segovia by tomorrow. Accommodation is a real problem with all albergues closed. Many hotels have no vacancies and prices are high so far.
Thanks. I suspected as much from other groups. Enjoy the walk. Segovia is great but the walk out of Segovia is one of my all time favourite days - classic big countryside, path leading off into the distance, mountains and a beautiful city being left behind...

I am planning to start out from Madrid later in April. Will you share where you are finding accommodations? Thank you!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Here is a list that I cobbled together for @jpflavin1 from watching Álvaro Lazaga’s walk on the Madrid last summer. This is likely to change, of course, but hopefully only for the better! I was actually surprised to find so much open.

Between Madrid and Vileguillo no albergues are open. (from memory, though, there is no shortage of private options — Tres Cantos, Colmenar, Cercedilla, Segovia….

Santa María Real there is a hotel

In Navas de Asunción there is a pilgrim albergue (closed) but also an albergue juvenil. It was full when he passed, but I don’t know if he could have stayed there if it had not been full with a youth group.

Coca - albergue closed but good bar (closed Tuesdays)

Vileguillo - albergue open

Alcazarén — albergue open

Valdestillas — bar open

PUente Duero — albergue open

Simancas — hotels, bar

Ciguñuela — albergue closed

Wamba — bar open

Peñaflor — albergue closed

Castromonte — albergue open

Medina del Ríoseco — hotels

Tamariz (a bit off camino) - albergue open with 1 bed!

Vilallón de Campo — albergue closed but I remember there is a hotel across the street from the albergue

Santervás — albergue open

Here is a list that I cobbled together for @jpflavin1 from watching Álvaro Lazaga’s walk on the Madrid last summer. This is likely to change, of course, but hopefully only for the better! I was actually surprised to find so much open.

Between Madrid and Vileguillo no albergues are open. (from memory, though, there is no shortage of private options — Tres Cantos, Colmenar, Cercedilla, Segovia….

Santa María Real there is a hotel

In Navas de Asunción there is a pilgrim albergue (closed) but also an albergue juvenil. It was full when he passed, but I don’t know if he could have stayed there if it had not been full with a youth group.

Coca - albergue closed but good bar (closed Tuesdays)

Vileguillo - albergue open

Alcazarén — albergue open

Valdestillas — bar open

PUente Duero — albergue open

Simancas — hotels, bar

Ciguñuela — albergue closed

Wamba — bar open

Peñaflor — albergue closed

Castromonte — albergue open

Medina del Ríoseco — hotels

Tamariz (a bit off camino) - albergue open with 1 bed!

Vilallón de Campo — albergue closed but I remember there is a hotel across the street from the albergue

Santervás — albergue open
Thank you for this update, I was becoming quite worried about some of the stages after Segovia as some towns have no other options. We had met with the amigos in Madrid and they told us all albergues were closed but perhaps they only meant the ones in the area around Madrid.
Will provide an update once I find out more

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thank you for this update, I was becoming quite worried about some of the stages after Segovia as some towns have no other options. We had met with the amigos in Madrid and they told us all albergues were closed but perhaps they only meant the ones in the area around Madrid.
Will provide an update once I find out

so far we have stayed in 1 albergue (Alcazaren-excellent but only a microwave for cooking) and with Ray y Rosa in Manzanares, beautiful little cabin with wonderful people. First day we walked to Tres Cantos & took the train back to Madrid. We have stayed in hotels/hostels the rest of the way, typically around 50€.
We should have stayed at the Albergue Juvenil de Dehesa in Cercedilla, as it would have shortened the next day across the mountain pass by a few kilometres and likely would have been far superior to our hostal lol. Segovia is wonderful and we took a layover day there. Next day walking to St Maria de Nieve is a very long stage but easy walking. Be aware that the only accommodation is a truck stop which will add a bit to your walk. Good clean place though and happy to serve a menú del día to us after the kitchen had closed. After this the stages get shorter and you have the opportunity to make shorter stages at times. There is an Albuerge Juvenil open in Nava De Asuncion which would work well with walking to Villeguilo which has an open albergue. As mentioned Alcazaren is open as is Puente Duoro.
Other open albergues, as far as we know are Tamariz de Campos, Castlemonte, Medina de Rioseco and Grajal de Campos.
It is an absolutely beautiful walk!
Buen Camino

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the update. So glad to see that the albergue situation is much improved, even from what I found last September.

Let us know if you stay in the dungeon albergue in Grajal. One of my few disappointments from the Madrid was that the albergue there had not yet opened.

Thanks for the update. So glad to see that the albergue situation is much improved, even from what I found last September.

Let us know if you stay in the dungeon albergue in Grajal. One of my few disappointments from the Madrid was that the albergue there had not yet opened.
Staying in Puente Duero tonight and the hospitalero is Arturo who is the president of the Amigos in Valladolid and according to him all albergues between here and Sahagun are now open with the exception of one. And he taught us how to make a tortilla 👍.
Incredible albergue experience today

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Looking for recommendations for hostel / albergue-type accommodations in Madrid , Avila , Zamora . Please and thank you for any suggestions … April 10 -17

Sounds promising. The great thing about the caminos was the albergues - they made the walks accessible to everyone. Not everyone can afford €50 a night for a bed on top of all the other expenses, so let's hope the albergues all open ASAP and advertise they're open.

Sounds promising. The great thing about the caminos was the albergues - they made the walks accessible to everyone. Not everyone can afford €50 a night for a bed on top of all the other expenses, so let's hope the albergues all open ASAP and advertise they're open.
Had a wonderful experience at puente duoro last night!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thank you for the useful updates! I shall be walking from Madrid in May. Any chance you can share more info about the truck stop in Nieve? That is the one night I'm struggling to see any options.
Buen camino.

Hi, it is called Hostal Avante, good rooms & quiet when we were there. Restaurant as well that provided us with a meal after regular hours. Will add a kilometre or so to a long day but we were happy to have a place!

Thank you for the useful updates! I shall be walking from Madrid in May. Any chance you can share more info about the truck stop in Nieve? That is the one night I'm struggling to see any options.
Buen camino.
Hi, it is called Hostal Avante, good rooms & quiet when we were there. Restaurant as well that provided us with a meal after regular hours. Will add a kilometre or so to a long day but we were happy to have a place!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thank you! I have emailed them but it came back undeliverable. I'll just show up and hope!

Thank you! I have emailed them but it came back undeliverable. I'll just show up and hope!
I phoned them the day before & booked that way. Phone number is listed on Gronze or I can look it up for you if you need it

Thanks for the offer. I have the number from gronze. Hope you're enjoying the road

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Buen camino.
Hello, can I ask you about your choice of accommodation in Cercedilla, the albergue is closed and the recommended Hostal Longinos El Aribel only accepts 2 night bookings at the weekends... I'll be there on a Saturday night in June. I also tried the 2 Albergue Juvenils in Las Dehesas but they are also not available in June. Do you have a recommendation of a place to stay in Cercedilla? Thanks.

Hello, can I ask you about your choice of accommodation in Cercedilla, the albergue is closed and the recommended Hostal Longinos El Aribel only accepts 2 night bookings at the weekends... I'll be there on a Saturday night in June. I also tried the 2 Albergue Juvenils in Las Dehesas but they are also not available in June. Do you have a recommendation of a place to stay in Cercedilla? Thanks.
Hiya. I'll be at hostal la maya. Not exactly albergue pricing at 49 euro but that's the world we're in at the moment.

Hiya. I'll be at hostal la maya. Not exactly albergue pricing at 49 euro but that's the world we're in at the moment.
Thanks Phil, I'll take a look at La Maya and see if they have 'affordable' availability.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
That's odd. I've stayed at Aribel only one night many times. Is that a fiesta weekend or something? If all fails, it's a one hour train ride to Madrid (or another village) and back.

That's odd. I've stayed at Aribel only one night many times. Is that a fiesta weekend or something? If all fails, it's a one hour train ride to Madrid (or another village) and back.
Thanks Anniesantiago, it's for a Saturday night in June and Aribel only accept 2 night bookings at the weekends... I'm currently looking at airbnb options.

Hello, we stayed at El Aribel. Had no issue booking it but it is very obvious that smoking is allowed in the rooms

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hello, we stayed at El Aribel. Had no issue booking it but it is very obvious that smoking is allowed in the rooms
That is always so yucky. You probably know that smoking in a hotel room is prohibited in all of Spain. I have had a similar experience, going into a hotel room with a clear smoke smell. The receptionist immediately put me in another room. The hotels don’t police this, but they will respond to infractions when they are brought to their attention. The penalties for violations are severe and I think the hotels are always quick to try to remedy things.

So if this happens to any other forum members, make noise and ask for a new room!

€83,-
That is always so yucky. You probably know that smoking in a hotel room is prohibited in all of Spain. I have had a similar experience, going into a hotel room with a clear smoke smell. The receptionist immediately put me in another room. The hotels don’t police this, but they will respond to infractions when they are brought to their attention. The penalties for violations are severe and I think the hotels are always quick to try to remedy things.

So if this happens to any other forum members, make noise and ask for a new room!
Thank you for this info, will definitely do this next time

Most read last week in this forum

A couple days ago I started the Camino Madrid from Segovia. Some of you may recall that I posted a few months ago looking for a relatively flat Camino to test out my body to find out if I could...
We planning a Camino Mixto of Camino Madrid/Salvador/Primitivo starting in early April next year. April 13-20 is Semana Santa next year We will probably fly in to Barcelona on 4th April and play...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.