• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Madrid Credencial

jmwlester

Time of past OR future Camino
2013 Camino Frances
2014 Jesus Trail
2016 Via Francigena (Italy)
2017 Camino Portugese
Greetings to all!
I am starting Camino Madrid on April 17, 2019 and have a few questions.
  1. Does the Camino Madrid have it's own credencial?
  2. What is the most current info on getting a credencial in Madrid? Where and what hours? I am arriving at 2pm on April 16 and want to get a credencial that day so I can start walking the next day.
  3. Can't find any albergues listed so assume there aren't any in Madrid. Any suggestions on where to stay?
  4. Don't see any albergues in Segovia. Any suggestions on where to stay in Segovia?
  5. Frankly, I would appreciate any advice.
Thanks and see you on the path.
Joann

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi. Walked this route in June 2018. We stayed in an air bnb apartment for a couple of nights before setting off.
There is an albergue run by Korean Pilgrim association and I understand they take non Korean pilgrims too...
The Association de Amigos de Camino de Santiago de Madrid: Friends of the Madrid Camino. Open Thursday 6 to 9 pm. Calle Carretas, 14, 6-C2 ( Metro Sol). They have up to date info on the walk and guidebook. not open when you arrive, best to get credential from Ivar on this forum, that is what we did.
In Segovia we stayed at Hostal Natura, it was really great.
Quite a few people stay in La Granja, 10 km out from Segovia and then walk into Segovia in the morning. However, I loved Segovia so much, we spent an extra day there. There is a new albergue just 6 km beyond Segovia, so one could spend one night in Segovia, most of the next day and walk out late pm...
After Segovia there are intermittent stretches, where there are wonderful albergues, but no food to be had, so really important to carry non perishable bfast, lunch, dinner and a snack as a backup...we got caught out once or twice.
We saw a total of 6 other pilgrims (including cyclists) on that trail. It was really solitary.
I downloaded and printed the maps, list of accommodations from the Gronze website. https://www.gronze.com/camino-santiago-madrid
Worked a treat. Bon Camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The OP lives in Alaska. Doesn’t make a heckuva lot of sense to buy credentials from Ivar 6000 miles away when he can get them for free from the American Pilgrims on the Camino, which is just down the road from him in Washington state.
Yeah, but I like the official credential from the Cathedral. :)
And it's an option for others who are reading this thread that aren't in Alaska.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Yeah, but I like the official credential from the Cathedral. :)
And it's an option for others who are reading this thread that aren't in Alaska.
Yes. I live in NZ and Ivar posted the pilgrims passports to me. They arrived within a week and looked fabulous. A printed off the internet one, just doesn't cut it for me!

This is a stupid argument, but there’s nothing more official in Ivar’s credential than those issued by the America Pilgrims on the Camino. I’ve used both. Both are good, and both are equally “official”. And neither is printed off the internet, as gittiharre suggests.

This is a stupid argument, but there’s nothing more official in Ivar’s credential than those issued by the America Pilgrims on the Camino. I’ve used both. Both are good, and both are equally “official”. And neither is printed off the internet, as gittiharre suggests.
Ok. My misinterpretation then. So why are they free? Are they the official cathedral ones? Just wondering. You usually have to pay a small amount elsewhere in the world?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
There’s no separate credencial for the Camio Madrid. Easiest way to get it is to do so in advance from the American Pilgrims on the Camino. https://www.americanpilgrims.org/ Click on “Credential Request” on the top of the page. It’s free. They’ll mail it to you. Even to Alaska!

You can get a special credential from the Iglesia de San Juan Bautista (where I started the Madrid) for a donation.

I stayed in albergues except for Medina del Campo as the convent was closed last June. It has since reopened.

Look through the various threads, I know posted information and pictures from.my Camino de Madrid.

DSC_2738.JPG

DSC_2739.JPG

Hi. Walked this route in June 2018. We stayed in an air bnb apartment for a couple of nights before setting off.
There is an albergue run by Korean Pilgrim association and I understand they take non Korean pilgrims too...
The Association de Amigos de Camino de Santiago de Madrid: Friends of the Madrid Camino. Open Thursday 6 to 9 pm. Calle Carretas, 14, 6-C2 ( Metro Sol). They have up to date info on the walk and guidebook. not open when you arrive, best to get credential from Ivar on this forum, that is what we did.
In Segovia we stayed at Hostal Natura, it was really great.
Quite a few people stay in La Granja, 10 km out from Segovia and then walk into Segovia in the morning. However, I loved Segovia so much, we spent an extra day there. There is a new albergue just 6 km beyond Segovia, so one could spend one night in Segovia, most of the next day and walk out late pm...
After Segovia there are intermittent stretches, where there are wonderful albergues, but no food to be had, so really important to carry non perishable bfast, lunch, dinner and a snack as a backup...we got caught out once or twice.
We saw a total of 6 other pilgrims (including cyclists) on that trail. It was really solitary.
I downloaded and printed the maps, list of accommodations from the Gronze website. https://www.gronze.com/camino-santiago-madrid
Worked a treat. Bon Camino!
Hi
Just wanted to provide an update as Diego who ran it told me the Korean Albergue in Madrid closed August 2018.
A pension might be the best option. Credentials also available from the Confraterity of St James in London.

Ok. My misinterpretation then. So why are they free? Are they the official cathedral ones? Just wondering. You usually have to pay a small amount elsewhere in the world?
I guess there’s no real explanation other than the fact that the mission of the American Pilgrims on the Camino (a non-profit organization) is to promote the Caminos, and the values for which they stand. While the credentials are free, you’re certainly welcome to make a donation. Anyway, it’s a great organiization, and as the old saying goes, Don’t look a gift horse in the mouth.

Its credencial is equally official as any other. It says on its face, “Credencial autorizada por la S.A.M.I. Catedral de Santiago de Compostela.”

And as an added bonus it has 56 places for stamps, as opposed to 48 places for stamps on the credencial from Ivar. I often get extra stamps - in the local church for example - or some of the stamps take up 2 spaces, and I found that on the Norte I needed that extra space.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
A friend and I will be a few days ahead of you, as we are starting out from Madrid on April 13. We are doing some short stages at the beginning, so we will be in Segovia on April 18 and staying there for the next day which is Good Friday. Unfortunately I need to head back to Madrid after that, but my friend is continuing on to Sahagun, so you might catch up with him. Look for a Canadian named Mike that likes to talk a lot. We are staying in Segovia at the Hosteria Natura Plaza, which I believe is related to the Hostal Natura mentioned above. Have fun!

Hi
Just wanted to provide an update as Diego who ran it told me the Korean Albergue in Madrid closed August 2018.
A pension might be the best option. Credentials also available from the Confraterity of St James in London.
That is a shame re korean albergue..

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Credential Question for all. Looking for feedback on pros & cons of the following thoughts:
  1. It appears that there are many peregrinos who do multiple, different caminos over the years. So I'm assuming they are not doing them for purely religious reasons. Hard to believe they have that many sins in need of divine intervention. Which means there are a lot of us who are walking for: the adventure, the fun, the meeting new people, for experiencing another culture, for healthy walking, unexpected spiritual moments, for time to reflect by yourself, for time to share a meal with other tired walkers, etc., etc.,
  2. Perhaps Spain's increasingly popular camino (320,000 pilgrims in 2018) should try to encourage pilgrims to try some of the many other caminos ending in Santiago. The "reward/incentive" for this could be as simple as a more impressive certificate after completing 3 or 5 etc. different caminos. Kind of like the mountain climbers doing 5 or 7 peaks.
Having said all this, I'm going back for a 2nd Camino Frances later this year, this time with a friend. Ivar's Forum has been indispensable in helping me along the way.

Greetings to all!
I am starting Camino Madrid on April 17, 2019 and have a few questions.
  1. Does the Camino Madrid have it's own credencial?
  2. What is the most current info on getting a credencial in Madrid? Where and what hours? I am arriving at 2pm on April 16 and want to get a credencial that day so I can start walking the next day.
  3. Can't find any albergues listed so assume there aren't any in Madrid. Any suggestions on where to stay?
  4. Don't see any albergues in Segovia. Any suggestions on where to stay in Segovia?
  5. Frankly, I would appreciate any advice.
Thanks and see you on the path.
Joann
Hi Joann @jmwlester
Re no 3 accommodation choices for cdm
- as advised earlier gronze is best fallback. Have a link on your phone as it gives much more than accommodation. https://www.gronze.com/

I walked the cdm starting March 18 with 2 other forum buddies. I had booked ‘Hostal Alonso ‘ which is 300 metres from ‘Sol’. (Very central) but I won’t recommend that. At Alonso I had private room but bathrooms were shared.
My friends booked ‘The Hat’ / a short walk away ., and close to church that you may start from ‘church of Santiago and San Juan Bautista ‘ .
I visited my friends staying at ‘The Hat’ (pics below ) - I will stay there at finish of my upcoming 2019 camino this May on return to Madrid. It is really nice and has a rooftop area for drinks snacks etc. books out early as it is not a pilgrim albergue.

You can start cdm wherever you wish., but traditional ‘start point’ is Church of Santiago and San Juan Bautista... very close by.
I’ve read that if you time it right ., you can pick up a credencial there and stamp. I visited there the day of arrival and it was closed. I had my credencial with me and got a stamp from a couple of nearby places including Correos.. I suggest you bring your credencial and if you time it right you may get the cdm one .. but never hurts to have a spare.

You don’t mention guides - handy to have Johnny walker’s Csj guide / hard copy or on your phone.
I also had ‘maps me’ loaded before I left home.
You can get tracks for cdm too; so you’ve got the security blanket to check whether you’ve drifted off the trail. (Maps me uses gps on your phone so doesn’t require sim or wifi - but don’t leave it running when you don’t need it as it does draw on your battery use ).

We had lunch in Segovia and a good look around but walked the 3k further on and stayed at the albergue in Zamarramala..

I’d do it again
Buen Camino

Attachments

• 07DE9C9F-1440-45F8-913C-EF076EFD8441.png
    07DE9C9F-1440-45F8-913C-EF076EFD8441.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 26
  • 60EC4991-44B3-4627-ABA7-BBA4AD0FAF10.jpeg
    60EC4991-44B3-4627-ABA7-BBA4AD0FAF10.jpeg
    513.5 KB · Views: 28
  • 2254A5EC-68A3-432B-928E-4C52DEF62314.jpeg
    2254A5EC-68A3-432B-928E-4C52DEF62314.jpeg
    315.8 KB · Views: 23
There’s no separate credencial for the Camio Madrid. Easiest way to get it is to do so in advance from the American Pilgrims on the Camino. https://www.americanpilgrims.org/ Click on “Credential Request” on the top of the page. It’s free. They’ll mail it to you. Even to Alaska!
Thanks for the info. I've requested the credencial and look forward to receiving it.
Buen Camino.
Joann

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
A friend and I will be a few days ahead of you, as we are starting out from Madrid on April 13. We are doing some short stages at the beginning, so we will be in Segovia on April 18 and staying there for the next day which is Good Friday. Unfortunately I need to head back to Madrid after that, but my friend is continuing on to Sahagun, so you might catch up with him. Look for a Canadian named Mike that likes to talk a lot. We are staying in Segovia at the Hosteria Natura Plaza, which I believe is related to the Hostal Natura mentioned above. Have fun!
Thanks for the info.
I will be in Segovia Saturday and Sunday, April 20-21, continuing to walk the CDM on Monday. I will be on the lookout for Mike,
Buen Camino
Joann

Hi Joann @jmwlester
Re no 3 accommodation choices for cdm
- as advised earlier gronze is best fallback. Have a link on your phone as it gives much more than accommodation. https://www.gronze.com/

I walked the cdm starting March 18 with 2 other forum buddies. I had booked ‘Hostal Alonso ‘ which is 300 metres from ‘Sol’. (Very central) but I won’t recommend that. At Alonso I had private room but bathrooms were shared.
My friends booked ‘The Hat’ / a short walk away ., and close to church that you may start from ‘church of Santiago and San Juan Bautista ‘ .
I visited my friends staying at ‘The Hat’ (pics below ) - I will stay there at finish of my upcoming 2019 camino this May on return to Madrid. It is really nice and has a rooftop area for drinks snacks etc. books out early as it is not a pilgrim albergue.

You can start cdm wherever you wish., but traditional ‘start point’ is Church of Santiago and San Juan Bautista... very close by.
I’ve read that if you time it right ., you can pick up a credencial there and stamp. I visited there the day of arrival and it was closed. I had my credencial with me and got a stamp from a couple of nearby places including Correos.. I suggest you bring your credencial and if you time it right you may get the cdm one .. but never hurts to have a spare.

You don’t mention guides - handy to have Johnny walker’s Csj guide / hard copy or on your phone.
I also had ‘maps me’ loaded before I left home.
You can get tracks for cdm too; so you’ve got the security blanket to check whether you’ve drifted off the trail. (Maps me uses gps on your phone so doesn’t require sim or wifi - but don’t leave it running when you don’t need it as it does draw on your battery use ).

We had lunch in Segovia and a good look around but walked the 3k further on and stayed at the albergue in Zamarramala..

I’d do it again
Buen Camino
Thanks so much for the info. It will be very useful as I get underway on the Camino Madrid.
Buen Camino,
Joann

Most read last week in this forum

A couple days ago I started the Camino Madrid from Segovia. Some of you may recall that I posted a few months ago looking for a relatively flat Camino to test out my body to find out if I could...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.