• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Madrid or Invierno in April?

jennysa

Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2011,2012 2013,2014, 2015 Aragones 2012, 2017 2018 Via Francigena 2016,2017 Primitivo 2018,2019
I am still dithering about which Camino to walk next year. My friend wants to walk the Camino Madrid and I want to walk the Invierno. Watching pilgrims' videos, the Camino Madrid looks a bit uninteresting to my mind but I have walked the Primitivo twice and loved it. Am I judging the Camino Madrid unfairly?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I am still dithering about which Camino to walk next year. My friend wants to walk the Camino Madrid and I want to walk the Invierno. Watching pilgrims' videos, the Camino Madrid looks a bit uninteresting to my mind but I have walked the Primitivo twice and loved it. Am I judging the Camino Madrid unfairly?

Hi, Jenny,

If I had to choose between the two, I would choose the Invierno, without a doubt. This is just my opinion, of course, but the Invierno is much more varied in its terrain and goes through an absolutely gorgeous part of Bierzo/Galicia. Again, this is just my opinion, but neither of the two has spectacular scenery (for me, “spectacular” is reserved for mountains so that may be unfair), but both are totally enveloping in their own ways. The Madrid is definitely a Camino that gets you hooked, and I would happily walk it again. I have walked the Invierno three times, though, and the Madrid only once, so that must say something too.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Camino de Madrid is beautiful, lots of walking on forest paths, you get to visit Segovia, and the locals are SO friendly. There are charming little albergues and interesting villages - where you will be met with friendly greetings by people who haven't become tired of hordes of pilgrims.

Without doubt, my favourite camino, especially at Easter.

(But I haven't walked the Invierno.)

Hi @jennysa. I can't advise you accurately at this stage as I am planning both the Madrid and the Primitivo in May/June next year. I am going to connect them with the San Salvador from Leon. Have you walked that one?? Bye, Mel
That is still on my bucket list but I walked the Primitivo this year and last year and could walk it all over again. I am so sorry that I did not walk the San Salvador first.

Hi @jennysa
You can still walk the Salvador and hook back to walk 2nd section of the Norte. (Léon to Oviedo) then walk or bus the short way (2 stages ?) to join the Norte.

If you’re confused about the CDM. Do both camino de Madrid. (You could walk cf to Ponferrada or train connect Sahagún to Ponferrada ) then walk to SdC in Invierno. ( I did that in 2018).

I would definitely walk the cdm again. It had a lovely feel. Often they depend on your experiences and company (if any ). I luckily arranged to walk with 2 other forum ladies and we stayed together on the Madrid. Neither were planning to go in direction of Invierno but I enjoyed that solo.

It’s so hard to make the initial choice- but once you commit and buy your ticket everything falls into place.
I put a flight on hold today to head back to Madrid and complete my (Sanabrés section of Vdlp) plus do a short version of VF in Italy from Siena to Rome first. Not set until I pay tomorrow but a good start.
So many routes I have on the wish list.

Buen camino
Annie

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
thanks very much for your input Annie. I have walked the VF section from La Doay in Switzerland, over the St Bernards down to Aosta twice and loved it, then from San Gimignano to Rome once and from also from Lucca to Rome. It is not at all like the Camino though. The time of the year is also quite important.

I walked the Madrid starting April 1st this year. I loved this camino, although if you walk in April the pass from Cercedilla might still have snow on it. We saw only a bit of snow but a huge snowstorm hit Segovia the following day and some pilgrims behind us chose not to walk the pass.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
On any Camino in northern Spain, including the Madrid and Invierno, you CAN encounter snow at elevations above about 700 meters ASL through the end of May. Also, in most places, April is a rainy month.

As the Invierno is specifically intended for winter use - hence the name - there are few high altitude places.

On the Madrid, the most likely place to encounter snow is coming out of the 'bowl' after Cercedilla and before Segovia. There is a forested pass there that does get snow. After that thought you are on undulating (rolling) terrain with some hills, but I don't recall any high enough to have snow.

Hope this helps.

Hi @jennysa
You can still walk the Salvador and hook back to walk 2nd section of the Norte. (Léon to Oviedo) then walk or bus the short way (2 stages ?) to join the Norte.

If you’re confused about the CDM. Do both camino de Madrid. (You could walk cf to Ponferrada or train connect Sahagún to Ponferrada ) then walk to SdC in Invierno. ( I did that in 2018).

I would definitely walk the cdm again. It had a lovely feel. Often they depend on your experiences and company (if any ). I luckily arranged to walk with 2 other forum ladies and we stayed together on the Madrid. Neither were planning to go in direction of Invierno but I enjoyed that solo.

It’s so hard to make the initial choice- but once you commit and buy your ticket everything falls into place.
I put a flight on hold today to head back to Madrid and complete my (Sanabrés section of Vdlp) plus do a short version of VF in Italy from Siena to Rome first. Not set until I pay tomorrow but a good start.

Buen camino
Annie
Hi @OzAnnie - I walked the Via Francigena from the Swiss border to Rome last year. An amazing experience awaits you....Mel

We are planning on walking the Madrid route next April, then on to Invierno. Have Johnie Walker’s guidebooks. Just need to book flights and we’re set to go.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I couldn't speak for the Invierno route, but we walked the Madrid route last year starting in the middle of March. We loved it. The first day getting out of Madrid to Tres Cantos wasn't the best since it is mainly pavement. We didn't see a single pilgrim from Madrid to until we got to Sahagun. We were expecting snow in the mountains but we lucked out it was sunny clear skies for 2 weeks. I probably wouldn't expect that. We loved all the little towns we went too. They were nice and helpful people. If you cant find the municipal albergue just find a bar they will help you.

Also interested in the Camino Madrid in April. Does anyone know of an app for this route that has offline map and GPS overlay?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Yes, the Buen Camino app.

I used this app for other routes many times and loved it. The recent upgrades to the app are disappointing, the map feature has changed, seems like it moved away from google map (no terrain feature etc), info hard to read, and this route only available in Spanish. Better than nothing but not smooth to use. Sorry if I sound fussy but the previous version was excellent. Thanks for the response though.

I used this app for other routes many times and loved it. The recent upgrades to the app are disappointing, the map feature has changed, seems like it moved away from google map (no terrain feature etc), info hard to read, and this route only available in Spanish. Better than nothing but not smooth to use. Sorry if I sound fussy but the previous version was excellent. Thanks for the response though.
Ack! I just opened my app and it's all different!
I don't know why they decided to redesign this app that worked great for me in the past. I've been trying to play around with it for the past few minutes, and it continually freezes and crashes. I have recommended this app to many people, and now it's totally unusable. 😢

Last edited:
Camino de Madrid is beautiful, lots of walking on forest paths, you get to visit Segovia, and the locals are SO friendly. There are charming little albergues and interesting villages - where you will be met with friendly greetings by people who haven't become tired of hordes of pilgrims.

Hi Heidi We are going to walk the Madrid Camino in April 2020 . Please could you tell me which Albergues you enjoyed and if there are any to avoid Thank you

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi @jennysa

Buen camino
Annie
When are you going Annie? I think you will love the Sanabrés. Look forward to hearing about it all especially the VF.
Good luck and Merry Christmas x
Elaine

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

So, @jennysa, are you still dithering? It may be that we have just made the decision harder rather than easier with all our comments. And the obviously perfect solution, if time is no object, is to walk both — Madrid to Sahagún, then some days on the Francés, and then the Invierno turn-off in Ponferrada. :)

I will unhelpfully also say that if you loved the Primitivo, you will absolutely adore the Olvidado. :)
Buen camino, Laurie

Hi Heidi We are going to walk the Madrid Camino in April 2020 . Please could you tell me which Albergues you enjoyed and if there are any to avoid Thank you
I will dig up my credencial from our walks and see if I can remember anything - in general, everything after Segovia was lovely. Old posts here are a reminder...

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I will dig up my credencial from our walks and see if I can remember anything - in general, everything after Segovia was lovely. Old posts here are a reminder...
thank you

Every camino is unique, and we tend to characterize each by what we remember most. Without doubt, the most beautiful is the Primitivo. No contest, I can understand why you've done it twice. We walked the Salvador just before the Primitivo, which was nice combo. We did the Madrid in Sept-Oct this year and loved it. We refer it is as the most villager-oriented. If you want scenery, don't bother. If you want tough walking, don't bother. If you want mountains, you only get a few days. If you want delightful villages and interaction with the villagers, it's got the other 7 caminos we have walked beat by a long shot. We combined this with the Camino Ignaciano, walking from Loiola (Loyola) to Logrono. That's tougher than the Primitivo with stunning scenery, but still not as good as the Primitivo. What's more, there was only one albergue, and staying in inns, while much more comfortable, is not our thing. This was another reason we liked the Madrid as there were plenty of albergues.

Thank you so much for all the information and for the trouble you took over it. I can now understand why so many pilgrims like the Camino Madrid and you have convinced me.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thank you so much for all the information and for the trouble you took over it. I can now understand why so many pilgrims like the Camino Madrid and you have convinced me.
If you want to know what walking in spring is like, I walked it in early May this year and made a YouTube video of my walk. Search for "Camino Madrid May 2019". Sorry - it's 26 minutes long but should give you a good idea of what to expect along the way. I loved it!

If you want to know what walking in spring is like, I walked it in early May this year and made a YouTube video of my walk. Search for "Camino Madrid May 2019". Sorry - it's 26 minutes long but should give you a good idea of what to expect along the way. I loved it!
Love your film. Brings back memories. Bin there three times.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

I would choose the Invierno any day over the Madrid. I have no urge to return to Madrid, but I am a repeat offender on the Invierno. But as Laurie wrote, you can do both as a combo!

BP

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks for that video! I was unable to watch it all at once, so I saved the link, which may make it easier for others to find.

Those fields of emerald green waving in the wind with occasional smatterings of poppies are among my strongest memories of that walk. And as others have said, the people in the villages are a big plus. I walked alone but had lots of great conversations with people, for whom the presence of a peregrina was more of a novelty than an irritation.

Alvin, you say you walked in early May. How early? I see from my blog that I started on May 17 from the Plaza Castilla. I’m asking because I think there is a “green window” that closes in late spring or early summer, and then everything turns brown. For me, this walk would not have been as much of a show-stopper if the natural habitat had been all brown.

One thing that tells me we walked at slightly different times, assuming these things happen pretty regularly on the same dates, was the lack of cottonwood “snow” along the canal at Medina. When I walked, it was everywhere, in some spots pretty thick. Your video doesn’t show any, so maybe I walked a bit later than you.

And, for others who are wondering about the exit from Madrid, this video shows it like it is. No selective winnowing to omit ugly industrial parts. :)

Edited to add a link to my Camino Madrid photos. I am like a kid in a candy shop, I have just discovered that all my photos from 2007 to whenever Google shut its picasa website are actually stored online. I haven’t seen any of them in years, and it’s an early Christmas present. The Madrid shots are here.

Last edited:
Thanks for that video! I was unable to watch it all at once, so I saved the link, which may make it easier for others to find.

Those fields of emerald green waving in the wind with occasional smatterings of poppies are among my strongest memories of that walk. And as others have said, the people in the villages are a big plus. I walked alone but had lots of great conversations with people, for whom the presence of a peregrina was more of a novelty than an irritation.

Alvin, you say you walked in early May. How early? I see from my blog that I started on May 17 from the Plaza Castilla. I’m asking because I think there is a “green window” that closes in late spring or early summer, and then everything turns brown. For me, this walk would not have been as much of a show-stopper if the natural habitat had been all brown.

One thing that tells me we walked at slightly different times, assuming these things happen pretty regularly on the same dates, was the lack of cottonwood “snow” along the canal at Medina. When I walked, it was everywhere, in some spots pretty thick. Your video doesn’t show any, so maybe I walked a bit later than you.

And, for others who are wondering about the exit from Madrid, this video shows it like it is. No selective winnowing to omit ugly industrial parts. :)
I walked the Camino de Madrid to the Frances to the Invierno this fall, completing the route(s) about five weeks ago. I found both the Madrid and the Invierno challenging physically, due to the weather: very dry with the air full of dust on most of the Madrid, and very wet, with almost continual rain on the Invierno. I would repeat both, but with the hope of better weather. Maybe the spring will work for you. If you are on holiday, you will have to take your chances. If you are on pilgrimage, you will receive what you are given and open your heart to the learning that you receive along the way. I found both routes quite solitary (which suits me), but the Invierno more so, because many albergues are available along the route of the Madrid.

I’m asking because I think there is a “green window” that closes in late spring or early summer, and then everything turns brown. For me, this walk would not have been as much of a show-stopper if the natural habitat had been all brown

That's certainly true. A Camino in July is like Fifty shades of Brown... not as thrilling! 😭

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Edited to add a link to my Camino Madrid photos. I am like a kid in a candy shop, I have just discovered that all my photos from 2007 to whenever Google shut its picasa website are actually stored online. I haven’t seen any of them in years, and it’s an early Christmas present. The Madrid shots are here.

Laurie
Loved scrolling through your link to archived Camino pics. So many scenes I related to and I see you stopped in a couple of the albergues I enjoyed. In particular ‘Castromonte ‘.
Though it may have been a lonely stop if travelling alone. I had two other ladies to walk up to that wee bar you’ve also pictured. Great selection of pics. Thanks.
Annie

Laurie
Loved scrolling through your link to archived Camino pics. So many scenes I related to and I see you stopped in a couple of the albergues I enjoyed. In particular ‘Castromonte ‘.
Though it may have been a lonely stop if travelling alone. I had two other ladies to walk up to that wee bar you’ve also pictured. Great selection of pics. Thanks.
Annie
Annie, by that “wee bar” do you mean the one right after the pictures of the albergue in Castromonte? If so, those are pictures of Sr. Braulio and his wife in Bar Caribe. He has a great story, which you may have read. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...e-bar-owner-now-almost-100.42686/#post-437191

Anyway.... my question is whether you remember seeing him in the bar. I suppose it is extremely unlikely, given that he was in his 90s, but I know he was still alive and giving interviews a few years ago.

I had company from Manzanares to Puente Duero (ran into two Spanish peregrinos), but after that it was just me and myself. I enjoyed it a lot, though, because I really spent a lot of time with wonderful people like Sr. Braulio.

“”Peregrina2000
Annie, by that “wee bar” do you mean the one right after the pictures of the albergue in Castromonte? If so, those are pictures of Sr. Braulio and his wife in Bar Caribe. He has a great story, which you may have read.””

Laurie
I had thought there was only one ‘wee’ bar in Castromonte... I’ve checked my pics for my bar pic and it’s different. Similar tables but different floor etc. & not the same. ? My pic shows Castromonte is where pic was taken tho

Yours looks familiar to me also ; but lots of bars in spain look the same CC180795-89B7-4D47-B02A-730B311FC58C.jpeg

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thats the bar on the right side just before the church. Sold bred too and lottery bills. No barsign outside made me dinner at night.

Thats the bar on the right side just before the church. Sold bred too and lottery bills. No barsign outside made me dinner at night.
We will never forget that bar. We were starving, it was around 10am and the town seemed dead. We queried an old woman who must have been at least 100 years old and she told us that there was a bar open. She would take us there since she went every morning to buy fresh bread there. It was a slow walk, which was fine with us. We entered the bar, saw the bar keep and the old lady embrace each other, as they no doubt had done every morning for years. The old woman bundled her loaf of bread like a new born, gave us a wide smile and wished us a buen camino. We had a nice breakfast and asked if we could have some bocadillos a llevarse. Ten minutes later, lovingly made and wrapped bocadillos made on the wonderful bread were handed to us. We were refreshed and ready to walk another 5 hours. Castromonte, like so many stops along the Camino de Madrid, will always be in our thoughts. As I have noted previously, the Camino de Madrid is all about the villagers. Take time to talk to them and ask them to help you. They take great pride in their hospitality.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Bar Real in Alcasaren is also a bar to remember. Made me a 3 course dinner with Wine. Lovely people. Also had the key to the albergue.

Thats the bar on the right side -No barsign outside
Yes - the hospi who came to open the wonderful Albergue told us how to find it. I think the only sign was lotteries.
And like @Anthony Rocco
Castromonte will be a strong & pleasant memory forever.
The villages on the CdM are so friendly and as there aren’t a lot of pilgrims walking at one time ., you do feel like the locals have time to chat and help.
Annie

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Oh dear, I've got a photo of Bar Real in Alcazaren too 🙄 (the red sign at the far end of the street):

168Alcazaren2.jpg

“”Peregrina2000
Annie, by that “wee bar” do you mean the one right after the pictures of the albergue in Castromonte? If so, those are pictures of Sr. Braulio and his wife in Bar Caribe. He has a great story, which you may have read.””

Laurie
I had thought there was only one ‘wee’ bar in Castromonte... I’ve checked my pics for my bar pic and it’s different. Similar tables but different floor etc. & not the same. ? My pic shows Castromonte is where pic was taken tho

Yours looks familiar to me also ; but lots of bars in spain look the same View attachment 67970

The bar where Sr. Braulio sold his many thousand tons of shrimp was Bar Caribe, in the plaza by the church. This is a different place. I assume that means that the Caribe has closed. Very sad. It is good to see that the town still has a bar, though! Towns in Spain without a bar are not long for this world.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Bar Real in Alcasaren is also a bar to remember. Made me a 3 course dinner with Wine. Lovely people. Also had the key to the albergue.
We were told by those who walked the Camino de Madrid that we absolutely, positively MUST stop in Villeguillo. Best bar on any camino, and a nicely maintained albergue. They were right. We feasted at the bar, the only one in town, and came back to lounge and take advantage of the wifi. At one point, the proprietor, Kiki (not sure about spelling) and the mayor joined us. We took lots of photos and sent them back to be posted. Don't miss the mayor, as he looks like he walked straight our of a Velasquez portrait. Too many memories to catalog from this camino.

We were told by those who walked the Camino de Madrid that we absolutely, positively MUST stop in Villeguillo. Best bar on any camino, and a nicely maintained albergue. They were right. We feasted at the bar, the only one in town, and came back to lounge and take advantage of the wifi. At one point, the proprietor, Kiki (not sure about spelling) and the mayor joined us. We took lots of photos and sent them back to be posted. Don't miss the mayor, as he looks like he walked straight our of a Velasquez portrait. Too many memories to catalog from this camino.
I walked the Madrid a few years ago, and reacted to your post by thinking — I don’t remember any place named Vileguillo. Just shows you how many terrific options there are on this camino. I think it must be the camino with the best and most albergues per peregrino in Spain.

The bar where Sr. Braulio sold his many thousand tons of shrimp was Bar Caribe, in the plaza by the church. This is a different place. I assume that means that the Caribe has closed. Very sad. It is good to see that the town still has a bar, though! Towns in Spain without a bar are not long for this world.

According to a Google review, Bar Caribe is no longer open.

I walked the Madrid a few years ago, and reacted to your post by thinking — I don’t remember any place named Vileguillo. Just shows you how many terrific options there are on this camino. I think it must be the camino with the best and most albergues per peregrino in Spain.
Villeguillo is a pass through teeny village, 18km before Alcazaren. We modified our walking just to stop there. We loved it, and we did stop at the Cafe Real in Alcazaren. But then we continued on to Valdesillas. So many choices of delightful villages and unforgettable bars on this camino. I guess we have to go back...

My Villeguillo memories (from my live thread):

Because the stores were closed yesterday, we were out of supplies and were a bit worried that we would go hungry on the trail today because there’s an 18km stretch with no towns, but the bar in Villeguillo came to the rescue. It serves a genuinely excellent and fresh tostadas con tomate (after we had a poor one in Nava yesterday where the tomato part was just passata from a jar). And the owner just kept bringing us stuff as part of his desayuno del peregrino. We had to turn some things down because they contained dairy but we ate and drank plenty for €5 each and it carried us through to Alcazarén. Plus you can get a stamp. The bar owner and other patrons wanted us to take a photo of them, so here they are!

28401918-EF1F-4BFF-89B0-B746BAC4CB5D.jpeg

Because the stores were closed yesterday, we were out of supplies and were a bit worried that we would go hungry on the trail today because there’s an 18km stretch with no towns, but the bar in Villeguillo came to the rescue. It serves a genuinely excellent and fresh tostadas con tomate (after we had a poor one in Nava yesterday where the tomato part was just passata from a jar). And the owner just kept bringing us stuff as part of his desayuno del peregrino. We had to turn some things down because they contained dairy but we ate and drank plenty for €5 each and it carried us through to Alcazarén. Plus you can get a stamp. The bar owner and other patrons wanted us to take a photo of them, so here they are!

View attachment 68133
Yep. That's Kiki with the thumbs up signal. We checked in at the albergue (he has the only key) and then came back begging for food. His first reaction was that dinner would be at 8pm. We put on our miserable face and the said 7pm. We switched to our mournful look and he said 6pm...just for us. We then went to our nuclear option and my wife put on her starving dog in the desert look. He sighed, cursing under his breath, then said he would serve us. But no choices. Whatever he had easy to make. The food kept coming and coming and coming. We were well past satisfecho when he proudly brought us ice cream for dessert. We simply had to eat it, waddling back to the albergue. That's one reason we walked 36kms the next day with only snacks along the way.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Alcazaren also has a wonderful Bar Jubiladas behind the church. Had drinks and a good meal there. Great albergue was almost full that night and spent the evening in the bar with a Scotsman,the first English speaker since Cercedilla. Very friendly town.

View attachment 68133
Attached is a photo of the mayor. It's obvious he enjoys his visits to this bar. The second photo is of the outside of the bar. It's hard to miss this very special spot on this camino.

Attachments

• IMG_20190927_181346410_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20190927_181346410_HDR.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20190927_191620036_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20190927_191620036_HDR.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 19
The second photo is of the outside of the bar. It's hard to miss this very special spot on this camino.

Sadly, it was not open (nor even a bar) when we were there (Thursday 29 March 2018 at about 11am), and we had to make use of the mobile shop instead:
160Villeguillo2.jpg

Sadly, it was not open (nor even a bar) when we were there (Thursday 29 March 2018 at about 11am), and we had to make use of the mobile shop instead:
View attachment 68224
Those mobile shops are wonderful. I was lucky to have one arrive in Castromonte, where I had landed without much in the way of food.

When I walked into the Bar Caribe In Castromonte, there were many workers eating their lunch. I asked the bartender, Sr. Braulio — ¿puedo comer? His answer was sure — did you bring your food?! Seeing my reaction, he told me not to worry, and his wife went home to scrounge up some freshly laid eggs, homemade chorizo, bread and salad. One of my best meals ever! Even though I am quite sure it violated a whole rack of EU regulations. :) And then walking out of the bar back to the albergue, the truck arrived — some of the best fruit I have bought in Spain. Just another day on the amazing Camino de Madrid.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Coming up with loose thoughts about what my next Camino might be, and I am thinking Madrid—>Sahaghun—> Santiago—>Muxia might be my next! Thanks for the video!

My wife and I walked the Camino de Madrid last year and we can't stop talking about it. We would not recommend it for first time pilgrims, and for us, it wasn't long enough, so we started by walking a completely different type camino, walking the Camino Ignaziano from Loyola to Logrono, which is mountainous, tough, glorious scenery with the finish rivaling your most favorite wines in La Guardia, one of the most beautiful towns on any camino, and a few more days walking in Rioja. We bussed from Lagrono to Madrid to start that walk.

The Camino Madrid promises a mix of terrain...forests, the Guadarrama, walking in meseta. It also promises Segovia and Sahagun and also pleasant surprises like Madina de Rio Seco. But what we talk about more than anything else are the villages and villagers who welcome you in the wonderful camino fashion of days of old before the Frances became a conga line of walkers. We have so many stories of how the villagers embraced us, housed us, fed us, showed with pride their community and devotion to developing a real camino. (Note: Some argue this camino is a made up one. To be honest, we didn't care. What mattered to us was getting what was a true camino experience up close and personal with villagers.)

To be sure, you won't encounter many other pilgrims. We did develop a friendship with a Basque couple from southern France, but if what you seek is comeraderie with other pilgrims, especially English speakers, that's unlikely.

We have stopped ranking caminos because they all have their wonders. For us, Madrid was the villagers.

We had plans in place for this year's camino to be another combo: some of Olvidado, all of Invierno. We had to postpone that. Hopefully next year we can walk again, but we know even that may not be possible. We sorely miss our annual caminos, but have found some wonderful walks and hikes here, including one we invented: the Camino de Jamestown, which follows the Capital Trail (primarily a bike trail) from Richmond to Jamestown. One has to be inventive during these COVID days!

Buen Camino

.. what we talk about more than anything else are the villages and villagers who welcome you in the wonderful camino fashion of days of old before the Frances became a conga line of walkers. We have so many stories of how the villagers embraced us, housed us, fed us, showed with pride their community and devotion to developing a real camino. (Note: Some argue this camino is a made up one. To be honest, we didn't care. What mattered to us was getting what was a true camino experience up close and personal with villagers.)
Buen Camino

I also have those abiding memories of the Camino de Madrid and my preamble on the Camino Mendocino last year. Those interactions have also motivated me to improve my Spanish before going back - it would have been lovely to have longer conversations with the people who showed me so much kindness.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Camino Mendocino? I realize that is not part of this thread, so I will look for it and what you wrote. I am not familiar with that camino.

The Madrid is a very nice Camino. You start in the big city, climb up into the mountains, walk down through the Forests and finish on the Meseta. Kind of a mini Frances. Some nice Albergues.

By finishing in Sahagun you have the option to walk the San Salvador and more depending on how much time you have allotted.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I saw your YouTube video before I went and that encouraged me to try that route. Now I’m planning the Madrid camino again in spring 2022.
Still the Best camino. Planning to walk it with my son next summer.
Buen camino

Madrid and Invierno next September. Have used my Ryanair voucher to book the flight to Madrid as it expires next month!
Now I have a delicious 11months to think and plan.
Did the wonderful but short Wicklow Way here in Ireland this year and planning the Dingle Way next Easter. I had a wonderful time and it reminded me how much of my own country I don't know!

Madrid and Invierno next September. Have used my Ryanair voucher to book the flight to Madrid as it expires next month!
Now I have a delicious 11months to think and plan.
Did the wonderful but short Wicklow Way here in Ireland this year and planning the Dingle Way next Easter. I had a wonderful time and it reminded me how much of my own country I don't know!
Welcome home, laineylainey! I’m sure you’ll see that @C clearly has just started a planning thread for the Camino de Madrid. I know some don’t like to plan ahead, but if you do, this thread will give you all the information you need and a lot that you don’t as well!

Welcome home, laineylainey! I’m sure you’ll see that @C clearly has just started a planning thread for the Camino de Madrid. I know some don’t like to plan ahead, but if you do, this thread will give you all the information you need and a lot that you don’t as well!

Thanks @peregrina2000 , most excellent and useful link! I have so enjoyed peoples' actual journeys and it will be great to see what, if anything, has changed.

This is great to read as I'm heading to a camino next April. I had planned on the Le Puy route, but am getting info that early April isn't the best time for this route, especially going solo. Sooo,,, now looking at other options, like the CdM. I will be starting right before Holy Week starts and really would love to be somewhere where they still have some old Easter traditions. How did you find it with securing accommodation around that time?

In covid times, things may be different. But we never had any problems when we figured out that we needed to phone a couple of days in advance, so Maria could get the key from Pepe, whose wife was planning to wash the floor before we arrived...

Having money for an occasional hotel is probably very smart.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi everybody, Which is the best way by foot : Uclès to Madrid or Madrid to Uclès (in july !)? And where find informations about accomodation ? Thank you

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.