• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Madrid Lodging and Popularity

drewbird15

Greetings,

I am considering either the Via Plata or Camino Madrid this April. From my reading it appears that refugios are sparse along these routes, compared to the Camino Frances. Is budget lodging available throughout these routes? Is camping an accepted/safe alternative?

Also, is one route more popular/better for meeting other pilgrims? I enjoy solitude, but also cherish the friendships made along the Camino Frances.

Thanks for any advice,

Drew Bird

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Drew -

I've walked both routes in April-May. I've also walked the Frances. The VDLP and Madrid are uniquely wonderful and beautiful and quite different. We met quite a few pilgrims on the VDLP; only one on the Madrid. There was no problem finding accommodation on either route, however there was less to choose from on the Madrid. Towns and villages were smaller on the Madrid, but people were very welcoming and helpful. The Madrid was an easier walk with only one significant climb.

Having said all that....I'm pretty sure whichever route you choose this April, a Holy Year, you will meet many, many pilgrims - in any case, either route will be a fantastic experience for you!

Many others on this forum have walked both routes and will have additional experience and information to share with you.

Best of luck with your plans, and buen camino!

lynne

drewbird15 said:
Greetings,

I am considering either the Via Plata or Camino Madrid this April. From my reading it appears that refugios are sparse along these routes, compared to the Camino Frances. Is budget lodging available throughout these routes? Is camping an accepted/safe alternative?

Also, is one route more popular/better for meeting other pilgrims? I enjoy solitude, but also cherish the friendships made along the Camino Frances.

Thanks for any advice,

Drew Bird

Hi Drew,

The only important place without albergue is Segovia. No more problems in the camino de Madrid. Please contact me for more details.

Buen Camino,

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back