• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Madrid or VdlP April/ May 2022

Babyboomergirl

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2017
Primitivo 2018
Finisterre/MuxĂ­a 2018
Norte 2019
I had originally planned to walk the VdlP in 2020 and of course Covid changed that.
I am now hopeful that I may be able to walk a Camino next year probably starting after Easter.

Given that 2022 is a Holy Year and the first year that many will be able to walk again and I will only have 3-4 weeks I am now thinking Camino Madrid might be a better option.

I’d really appreciate any advice on weather and availability of albergues and private accomodation. I walked the CF in April 2017 and mostly had the perfect mix of cold mornings and sunny afternoons. I realise that weather is unpredictable but would prefer warmer weather.

Other option is to split the VdlP over 2 years.

Thanks for any thoughts from those who have walked both 😊

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I won't be much help in your decision, but am interested in the responses that you get. I've walked VDLP from Seville to Astorga, so I've done the first half of one of your options and was planning to walk the Sanabres next time. The Madrid also attracts me, so if there are crowds on the Sanabres next April, I might go to it.

@Babyboomergirl as you know from our conversations, I loved the Madrid Way but won’t be walking the VdeP until April so can’t offer a direct comparison.

Regarding weather, we walked in early September - cool to cold mornings turning into hot afternoons. Suspect it could be similar in April. We walked the Mozarabe from beginning of May and wouldn’t have wanted to leave it any later. Again, not a a direct comparison but possibly similar climate?

I don’t recall that we had a guide book - well signposted - but we did have a list of accommodation. Maybe we got if from the church in Madrid where we got our credenciale. I’m sure others on the forum better with important details will know. 😀

Accommodation wise, there was not a lot of choice - other than in Segovia We stayed almost exclusively in Albergues but there were so few people we often had the place to ourselves or close enough. Standard was good. You have my blog where I think I mentioned where we stayed each night.

We took 12 days to get to Sahagun (that last day was 36 kms which could have been split) and we didn’t have any rest days. Joining the Frances in Sahagun gives you lots of options to connect with other camimos for remaining time.

Sorry I can’t offer a direct comparison but if the Madrid fits with your time and other considerations I’d highly recommend it. 👍

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
@Babyboomergirl as you know from our conversations, I loved the Madrid Way but won’t be walking the VdeP until April so can’t offer a direct comparison.

Regarding weather, we walked in early September - cool to cold mornings turning into hot afternoons. Suspect it could be similar in April. We walked the Mozarabe from beginning of May and wouldn’t have wanted to leave it any later. Again, not a a direct comparison but possibly similar climate?

I don’t recall that we had a guide book - well signposted - but we did have a list of accommodation. Maybe we got if from the church in Madrid where we got our credenciale. I’m sure others on the forum better with important details will know. 😀

Accommodation wise, there was not a lot of choice - other than in Segovia We stayed almost exclusively in Albergues but there were so few people we often had the place to ourselves or close enough. Standard was good. You have my blog where I think I mentioned where we stayed each night.

We took 12 days to get to Sahagun (that last day was 36 kms which could have been split) and we didn’t have any rest days. Joining the Frances in Sahagun gives you lots of options to connect with other camimos for remaining time.

Sorry I can’t offer a direct comparison but if the Madrid fits with your time and other considerations I’d highly recommend it. 👍
Thanks @Jenny@zen .

I think it was your blog that switched me to CM 😊

I still really want to walk the VdlP but perhaps that could be in 2023 !

Thanks @Jenny@zen .

I think it was your blog that switched me to CM 😊

I still really want to walk the VdlP but perhaps that could be in 2023 !
It was pretty fabulous - if you don’t mind not many (sometimes any) people 😀 though it was a few years ago now (2018) and maybe there will more people next year. But I don’t imagine it will be ‘crowded’ any time soon.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Just found this thread on the forum posted by Ivar in October last year.

More choice than I remember 👍
That’s a great list. Just scrolling through it, I would note that people should check to see if the places listed as “cerrado” are actually still closed (I think they were covid closures). I know a forum member who stayed with Ray y Rosa last week in Manzanares, and I remember seeing one of Álvaro Lazaga’s youtube videos recently in which he stayed in the albergue in Santervás. Both of those are listed on this document as closed. So it’s always good to check.

And as for the choice itself, I personally cannot think of a better place to be in springtime than on the Vdlp. Like Jenny@zen, though, I very much liked the Madrid. After two weeks to get from Madrid to SahagĂșn, you will be on the FrancĂ©s and the Holy Year crowds. You could detour off at LeĂłn to walk the Salvador/Primitivo, but that would take more than the time you have.

So if you want to walk the full 3-4 weeks, Camino de Madrid is short for that time frame, but it’s a very nice two week walk. Four weeks from Sevilla, though, and you will have @Jenny@zen’s dilemma of where to end.

That’s a great list. Just scrolling through it, I would note that people should check to see if the places listed as “cerrado” are actually still closed (I think they were covid closures). I know a forum member who stayed with Ray y Rosa last week in Manzanares, and I remember seeing one of Álvaro Lazaga’s youtube videos recently in which he stayed in the albergue in Santervás. Both of those are listed on this document as closed. So it’s always good to check.

And as for the choice itself, I personally cannot think of a better place to be in springtime than on the Vdlp. Like Jenny@zen, though, I very much liked the Madrid. After two weeks to get from Madrid to SahagĂșn, you will be on the FrancĂ©s and the Holy Year crowds. You could detour off at LeĂłn to walk the Salvador/Primitivo, but that would take more than the time you have.

So if you want to walk the full 3-4 weeks, Camino de Madrid is short for that time frame, but it’s a very nice two week walk. Four weeks from Sevilla, though, and you will have @Jenny@zen’s dilemma of where to end.
Thank you @peregrina2000 for these comments.

My thought was that if I did decide on the Camino Madrid I could possibly train from SahagĂșn to Ponferrada and then walk the Invierno, which is also one I’ve been considering for a while. I have walked Primitivo and loved it.

Perhaps though I should just stay the course of planning for the VdlP 

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
train from SahagĂșn to Ponferrada and then walk the Invierno, which is also one I’ve been considering for a while.

As one of the charter members of the ”we love the Invierno” group here on the forum, I think that would be a great idea. I know weather is totally unpredictable, but my rule of thumb is that if I start in April or May, I start south; if I start in June, I start north. I think the Invierno is a perfect summer camino (Olvidado plus Invierno in June equals heaven). I have never walked the Invierno in springtime, though, so I’m not trying to dissuade you.

Perhaps though I should just stay the course of planning for the VdlP 

Hi @Babyboomergirl
That would be my choice too.

Realistically- i say it doesn’t matter - only because you’ll be back to walk the other choice?
I’ve done both & both in spring. (Vdlp still to be completed from where I finished @ TĂĄbara on the SanabrĂ©s)..

Vdlp will give you a little more camaraderie. I found a good number along this route.

if I did decide on the Camino Madrid I could possibly train from SahagĂșn to Ponferrada and then walk the Invierno.
—
I did that combination too - the year before my Vdlp.
I also caught train from Sahagun to Ponferrada..before starting the invierno.
I didn’t meet another walker (peregrino/a or have company at all) on the invierno- but really loved the time alone. it depends whether you ‘need’ company.

Both choices are good., but ❀❀ spring on the Vdlp . đŸŒș

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
As one of the charter members of the ”we love the Invierno” group here on the forum, I think that would be a great idea. I know weather is totally unpredictable, but my rule of thumb is that if I start in April or May, I start south; if I start in June, I start north. I think the Invierno is a perfect summer camino (Olvidado plus Invierno in June equals heaven). I have never walked the Invierno in springtime, though, so I’m not trying to dissuade you.
So many choices !
I‘ll have to look at Olvidado/ Invierno for another time.

Hi @Babyboomergirl
That would be my choice too.

Realistically- i say it doesn’t matter - only because you’ll be back to walk the other choice?
I’ve done both & both in spring. (Vdlp still to be completed from where I finished @ TĂĄbara on the SanabrĂ©s)..

Vdlp will give you a little more camaraderie. I found a good number along this route.

—
I did that combination too - the year before my Vdlp.
I also caught train from Sahagun to Ponferrada..before starting the invierno.
I didn’t meet another walker (peregrino/a or have company at all) on the invierno- but really loved the time alone. it depends whether you ‘need’ company.

Both choices are good., but ❀❀ spring on the Vdlp . đŸŒș
Definitely !

@Babyboomergirl just reading all the great responses as I sit up in bed with morning cuppa!

Re VdeP in case you decide to stick with that - I’ve just about finished working out our stages for VdeP in time available. - thanks to the virtual planning thread and @C clearly list

I’m at 29 days from Seville to Pueblo Sanabres with bussing for a couple of stages after Zamora. There are not many long days. I’ve got accommodation listed as well. I’ll send it to you if you like?

If you have 3-4 weeks —- 3 weeks would get you to Salamanca and whatever days you have left gives you a day or so there and through to Zamora. Both are easy places to travel out from and back to if you go back for the Sanabres later on.

I think all great options. 👍

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
@Babyboomergirl just reading all the great responses as I sit up in bed with morning cuppa!

Re VdeP in case you decide to stick with that - I’ve just about finished working out our stages for VdeP in time available. - thanks to the virtual planning thread and @C clearly list

I’m at 29 days from Seville to Pueblo Sanabres with bussing for a couple of stages after Zamora. There are not many long days. I’ve got accommodation listed as well. I’ll send it to you if you like?

If you have 3-4 weeks —- 3 weeks would get you to Salamanca and whatever days you have left gives you a day or so there and through to Zamora. Both are easy places to travel out from and back to if you go back for the Sanabres later on.

I think all great options. 👍
Thank you @Jenny@zen
That is very helpful đŸ™đŸ»

Can't comment on the VDLP, but I walked the CdM in early March 2020 and got sun burnt. Aside from that the weather was pretty much perfect for walking. Then again, others years will have had snow at the same time. Regarding accommodation - well, the albergues closed due to Covid during my walk so I had to stop at Valdestillas - and finished it this August. Plenty of accommodation options but didn't see any other pilgrims in either 2020 or 2021. That said I really enjoyed it.

So many choices !
I‘ll have to look at Olvidado/ Invierno for another time.
VDLP is easy to break in two. First three weeks will take you to Salamanca which is a wonderful walk in April/May. I had to return to Australia due to a bereavement in the family and I then returned in the September and restarted from Salamanca to Santiago via the Sanabrese, another enjoyable experience.

I have also walked the Camino Madrid at the end of September in 2019. Must admit it was too hot for me and I was lucky to meet and walk with a lovely Argentinian couple or I would have been rather lonely.
If I return it would be in April as I love Spring Caminos, then you have to factor in the water crossings if it has been a wet winter. Hope this helps.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi all - well just for the sake of sharing the latest - ... in the context that we only have month of April for VdeP, so something's gotta give! And we are more interested in the Sanabres than walking to Astorga, but not enough time to complete the Sanabres for now.

My latest idea is that we will plan to 'finish' our VdeP in Zamora. We then have another 5 or 6 days available before returning to Paris to spend some time with the grandchildren in the second week of the school holidays.

So ... we think we will leave the days after Zamora as a bit of a surprise package and see what we feel like at the time. At some point in our trip we want to visit our friends in SJPP - so one possibility is to take bus or train from Zamora to Pamplona / then SJPP - stay a night there - then walk the Voie de la Nive in reverse (3 days) - up to Bayonne. Easy to jump on a train from Bayonne to Paris. If we had a few more days it would be the Baztan, but that will have to wait.

Of course, what we in fact do may be something quite different, but we like the idea of 'free ranging' this time - and we will see what happens. Given last Camino in 2019 was a 'bespoke' combo of some favourite paths - Aragones, then Hondarribia to Bilbao, then the Primitivo - I like the idea of popping over to another (albeit short) camino we haven't walked before. I'm blessed with a husband who is very relaxed when I announce 'I've had another idea!' - but have to say he is rather fond of the latest iteration!.

Have backpack, will travel ... and all that. Dare I say .... stay tuned.

PS Sorry. I just realised this was the thread started by @Babyboomergirl - and not the VdeP started by me at around the same time which I meant to post on - but many of the same participants so ...

Last edited by a moderator:
VDLP is easy to break in two. First three weeks will take you to Salamanca which is a wonderful walk in April/May. I had to return to Australia due to a bereavement in the family and I then returned in the September and restarted from Salamanca to Santiago via the Sanabrese, another enjoyable experience.

I have also walked the Camino Madrid at the end of September in 2019. Must admit it was too hot for me and I was lucky to meet and walk with a lovely Argentinian couple or I would have been rather lonely.
If I return it would be in April as I love Spring Caminos, then you have to factor in the water crossings if it has been a wet winter. Hope this helps.
Thanks @camino07

I think I’ve decided exactly that. Walk halfway to Salamanca and then walk the rest another time.
It will be the first time in 3 caminos that I haven’t finished the complete walk to Santiago in one journey but I’m also wanting to spend time with family in the UK next year after what will then be almost 2 and a half years apart.
It will be a very emotional reunion !

Thanks @camino07

I think I’ve decided exactly that. Walk halfway to Salamanca and then walk the rest another time.
It will be the first time in 3 caminos that I haven’t finished the complete walk to Santiago in one journey but I’m also wanting to spend time with family in the UK next year after what will then be almost 2 and a half years apart.
It will be a very emotional reunion !
Great news @Babyboomergirl Sounds like a great plan. Sounds like we will be on the VdeP at the same time, at least for some of the time!!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I loved the VdlP. We started in April. Hope to walk the Madrid route next year. Spring would be my choice for walking this route. However, due to other demands, might have to be autumn.

I loved the VdlP. We started in April. Hope to walk the Madrid route next year. Spring would be my choice for walking this route. However, due to other demands, might have to be autumn.
Hi Sharon - Spring walking is great - but if it has to be Autumn ... we walked the Madrid Way in 2018 starting the end of the first week of September. It was wonderful!

My latest idea is that we will plan to 'finish' our VdeP in Zamora. We then have another 5 or 6 days available before returning to Paris to spend some time with the grandchildren in the second week of the school holidays.
Yes we might finish in Zamora too !
I’m glad I’m not the only one who changes the plan.

I’m currently trying to decide whether to spend Easter in UK and then travel to Spain or to go to UK early April for school holidays and be in Spain for Semana Santa. We were walking Camino Norte during that time in 2019 and enjoyed seeing all the festivities . I’m not sure I’ll feel comfortable with large gatherings of people so all these uncertainties are affecting my decisions.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Sharon - Spring walking is great - but if it has to be Autumn ... we walked the Madrid Way in 2018 starting the end of the first week of September. It was wonderful!
Thanks Jenny. Good to know.

I had originally planned to walk the VdlP in 2020 and of course Covid changed that.
I am now hopeful that I may be able to walk a Camino next year probably starting after Easter.

Given that 2022 is a Holy Year and the first year that many will be able to walk again and I will only have 3-4 weeks I am now thinking Camino Madrid might be a better option.

I’d really appreciate any advice on weather and availability of albergues and private accomodation. I walked the CF in April 2017 and mostly had the perfect mix of cold mornings and sunny afternoons. I realise that weather is unpredictable but would prefer warmer weather.

Other option is to split the VdlP over 2 years.

Thanks for any thoughts from those who have walked both 😊
I just finished the Portuguese Way from Lisbon to Fatima to Porto, Coastal to Santiago on October 1. I hit 3 days of 98degrees weather. Too hot for this Maine gal. But also went to low 50’s at Santiago so bottom line is September is a great time . No rain only at nights. I did have problems with signs out of Lisbon and Albergue s. So check out yes, Lisbon in Lisbon, and Travellers at the train station in Porto. Two nice options.

Let the Camino provide! Buen Camino!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Yes we might finish in Zamora too !
I’m glad I’m not the only one who changes the plan.

I’m currently trying to decide whether to spend Easter in UK and then travel to Spain or to go to UK early April for school holidays and be in Spain for Semana Santa. We were walking Camino Norte during that time in 2019 and enjoyed seeing all the festivities . I’m not sure I’ll feel comfortable with large gatherings of people so all these uncertainties are affecting my decisions.
Hi, I'm planning for Easter in Scotland to visit my brothers families ,praying my 101 year old Aunt is still around. I was booked to go for her 100th and we know what happened to that plan.
Isn't it great we can at least start planning for 2022 . If I was going straight to Spain I would book now but I'm a bit worried about what the restrictions are for Edinburgh. Not doing quarantine!
Zamora is another good way to break up the via.

So it's decided, because my sister will join me for approximately a week, and getting back to Madrid is easiest for her to fly out of, we will start the CdM after Easter, and I will decide whether to continue on the Frances from Sagahun or hop to another route as others have suggested. I haven't noted any others who have stated plans to start from Madrid - I know it won't be crowded like some other routes but is there anyone planning to do the CM in April?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

A couple days ago I started the Camino Madrid from Segovia. Some of you may recall that I posted a few months ago looking for a relatively flat Camino to test out my body to find out if I could...
We planning a Camino Mixto of Camino Madrid/Salvador/Primitivo starting in early April next year. April 13-20 is Semana Santa next year We will probably fly in to Barcelona on 4th April and play...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back