• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Madrid - Suggestions for 15 to 20kmax stages

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Gerard, my wife and I have walked CF three times (all 800 kms). We considered walking the Camino Madrid, but decided to walk CF again next year. After using the Gronze.com website, it seemed like some of the stages were quite long. Like you, we prefer hiking 20 kms per day, but some of the suggested stages were over 30 kms. The other issue I discovered on Gronze is that there is not a lot of infrastructure established on CM, particularly to stay in private rooms. Maybe this will improve and we will reconsider in the future. Bob

My gut told me that it would be easy to plan for short stages on the Madrid. But since my gut was wrong yesterday when I ventured the opinion that short stages on the Mozárabe would be problematic (turns out it’s EASY between Almería and Granada), I thought I should do some actual tabulation. So...

Starting with my stages from years ago, https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/my-leisurely-stages-on-the-camino-de-madrid.11148/ I came up with one option. I just used gronze with my stages as a base, but doing that showed me that there are many other ways to do this, because the accommodations on the Madrid (assuming you can splurge on private places) are quite plentiful. To start with, the albergue infrastructure is excellent, and when you factor in towns with hotels/pensiones, your options increase a lot!

Day 1 — From Church of Santiago to Fuencarral (the town, not the street). That would be about 20 and there are places to stay there, none cheap. OR you can hop on Cercanías train for a few minutes back to Madrid and then come back out the next day.

Day 2 — Fuencarral to Tres Cantos (13)

Day 3 — Tres Cantos to Colmenar (10)

Day 4 — Colmenar to Manzanares (15)

Day 5 — Manzanares to Cercedilla (20) — can also be split with a stop in Mataelpino, where there is an albergue

Day 6 — Cercedilla to La Granja (21)

Day 7 — La Granja to Segovia (8)

Day 8 — Segovia to Añe (20 km) (also easy to shorten with a stop in Los Huertos)

Day 9 — Añe to Santa María la Real (12)

Day 10 — Santa María to Nava de la Asunción (13).

Day 11 — Nava to Villeguillo (17)

Day 12 — Villeguilo to Alcazarén (17)

Day 13 — Alcazarén to Valdestillas (16)

Day 14 — Valdestillas to Simancas (15). (Here I would also recommend a detour into Valladolid if you like medium sized Spanish cities. This is a very nice one, with a beautiful barroque monastery turned into the Spanish religious sculpture museum). Buses to and from both Puente Duero and Simancas are frequent).

Day 15 — Simancas to Peñaflor (21)

Day 16 — Peñaflor to Castromonte (9) (five star albergue, as are many of them on the Madrid!)

Day 17 — Castromonte to Medina de Rioseco (15)

Day 18 — Medina to Tamariz de Campos (12)

Day 19 — Tamariz to Villalón (14)

Day 20 — Villalón to Santervás (16)

Day 21 — Santervás to Sahagún (19)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
My gut told me that it would be easy to plan for short stages on the Madrid. But since my gut was wrong yesterday when I ventured the opinion that short stages on the Mozárabe would be problematic (turns out it’s EASY between Almería and Granada), I thought I should do some actual tabulation. So...

Starting with my stages from years ago, https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/my-leisurely-stages-on-the-camino-de-madrid.11148/ I came up with one option. I just used gronze with my stages as a base, but doing that showed me that there are many other ways to do this, because the accommodations on the Madrid (assuming you can splurge on private places) are quite plentiful. To start with, the albergue infrastructure is excellent, and when you factor in towns with hotels/pensiones, your options increase a lot!

Day 1 — From Church of Santiago to Fuencarral (the town, not the street). That would be about 20 and there are places to stay there, none cheap. OR you can hop on Cercanías train for a few minutes back to Madrid and then come back out the next day.

Day 5 — Manzanares to Cercedilla (20) — can also be split with a stop in Mataelpino, where there is an albergue

Day 8 — Segovia to Añe (20 km) (also easy to shorten with a stop in Los Huertos)

Day 14 — Valdestillas to Simancas (15). (Here I would also recommend a detour into Valladolid if you like medium sized Spanish cities. This is a very nice one, with a beautiful barroque monastery turned into the Spanish religious sculpture museum). Buses to and from both Puente Duero and Simancas are frequent).

Day 16 — Peñaflor to Castromonte (9) (five star albergue, as are many of them on the Madrid!)

This is real close to the stages I've walked a couple of times on the Madrid.

Thank you so much for this list @peregrina2000 ! Just yesterday I started to plot possible 20km max stages on the Madrid and here's your wonderful research waiting this morning. Much appreciated.

Very close to my stages too. The stage to La Granja is somewhat longer than it states and Anje is scungy. Otherwise great. Very solitary route, but next to no asphalt! Very nice. Well marked too.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Very close to my stages too. The stage to La Granja is somewhat longer than it states and Anje is scungy. Otherwise great. Very solitary route, but next to no asphalt! Very nice. Well marked too.
Hi, Gitti,
I have not stayed in Añe, but I thought I had heard that it has been spiffed up quite a bit. When were you there? The Gronze commentaries concur with your comment, so I am likely wrong about this.

Thanks for all this info, @peregrina2000. It'll come in handy for me too as the Camino Madrid is one of the options I'm tossing for my next Camino. 15-20kms is about my comfort zone. Any suggestions for must-sees along the way would be great.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

You, cobber, are a ruddy champion.
Gail, igailfh from the previous post, and I have been discussing this at length.
I'm considering putting this together with the Winter Way (I'm a traditionalist) to finally wind up in Santiago.
Maybe finish up a European tour with the English slice of the VF, Canterbury to Dover, perhaps even starting in London walking Chaucer's route fm Southwark. How cool would that be.

Regards, thanks again, and Merry Christmas to all!
Gerard

Any suggestions for must-sees along the way would be great.

Segovia, of course. Other than that, my favourite historic sites were:

- Casa Eraso, the ruins of a 16th-century royal way station past the mountain pass on the stage into Segovia (day four for us).

C704BBE3-8970-4CF8-8109-E59FF040AA57.jpeg

- The Visigothic / Mozárabe-Romanesque / Gothic church and ossuary at Wamba (day nine for us).

4E686989-9685-4B88-84E4-100639E06312.jpeg

- The evocative, ruined 16th-century tower at Tamariz (day eleven for us).

60C6E490-2AF2-4823-A480-76782FD9EC06.jpeg

Segovia, of course. Other than that, my favourite historic sites were:

- Casa Eraso, the ruins of a 16th-century royal way station past the mountain pass on the stage into Segovia (day four for us).

- The Visigothic / Mozárabe-Romanesque / Gothic church and ossuary at Wamba (day nine for us).

- The evocative, ruined 16th-century tower at Tamariz (day eleven for us).

Thanks for your suggestions, @jungleboy,.The pics look great.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks for all this info, @peregrina2000. It'll come in handy for me too as the Camino Madrid is one of the options I'm tossing for my next Camino. 15-20kms is about my comfort zone. Any suggestions for must-sees along the way would be great.

I walked the Madrid route in Spring of 2014 and 2016.
You can find the beginning of those blog posts and follow them for photos of the trails and albergues.

For me, there were several "must sees" that people often miss.
Here are a few:

Wamba Church

Segovia

The wonderful hidden paintings behind the retablo at Alcazaran!

The Semana Santa Museum in Medina

Hi, Gitti,
I have not stayed in Añe, but I thought I had heard that it has been spiffed up quite a bit. When were you there? The Gronze commentaries concur with your comment, so I am likely wrong about this.
I was staying there last spring for the second time (first in 2014). Nothing really changed but they refreshed it a little bit. No smell of a mould anymore so I guess hospitalero/a opens the doors and windows more often or maybe there is more pilgrim traffic. New paint on the walls, small electric radiator in smaller room (2 bunks) and a little kitchenette added were main new things there but otherwise it's still very basic although I like it very much.

Thanks for this stage list. I am considering a pilgrimage this fall on the Camino de Madrid. Very helpful.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thanks for your must sees, @Anniesantiago. I think Alcazaran is a definite.
I've just found a 2020 Camino Madrid guidebook on Amazon so I'll check that out too.

Laurie
I've looked at stage 6 and cannot find anywhere to stay in la granja...google maps seem to show it as an area rather than a place. My french guide book ploughs on to segovia whuch doesn't appeal!

THANK YOU for sharing the short-stage itinerary for the Camino Madrid. I would love to walk it but would not be able to walk the 30k days. Now it feels like it is definitely in my future! Thanks!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Laurie
I've looked at stage 6 and cannot find anywhere to stay in la granja...google maps seem to show it as an area rather than a place. My french guide book ploughs on to segovia whuch doesn't appeal!
I don’t know if La Granja (de San Ildefonso is the rest of its name) is a town or just a description of the place where the Royal Palace is, but in addition to its fancy parador, there is an albergue there.

La Granja is not an “official” part of the Camino de Madrid, but there are several threads here from forum members who have gone off-camino to shorten the stage into Segovia, and also to take a look at the palace and its gardens — both are really nice, great spot for an afternoon.

You have to get information on where to go off route to detour over to La Granja. Several forum members have done this. Here is one thread, but I remember there were several a few years ago. The next day, it is a roadside walk of about 11 km into Segovia, but I know that some have taken a bus as well.

Good luck with the planning, it is such a nice camino!

Many thanks
I don’t know if La Granja (de San Ildefonso is the rest of its name) is a town or just a description of the place where the Royal Palace is, but in addition to its fancy parador, there is an albergue there.

La Granja is not an “official” part of the Camino de Madrid, but there are several threads here from forum members who have gone off-camino to shorten the stage into Segovia, and also to take a look at the palace and its gardens — both are really nice, great spot for an afternoon.

You have to get information on where to go off route to detour over to La Granja. Several forum members have done this. Here is one thread, but I remember there were several a few years ago. The next day, it is a roadside walk of about 11 km into Segovia, but I know that some have taken a bus as well.

Good luck with the planning, it is such a nice camino!
Many thanks!...i'll do a bit more investigating...rough plan is levante..yet again! That section after cebreros is a favourite with rolling hills and noone around. The stage into avila has that hefty climb..i've taken the road and tge route through the valley (and the cows). At zamora might head to merida and walk back to zamora then maybe the madrid. I tried it a few years ago but accommodation was a problem,one place had 2 hostals one was closed the other fully booked with construction workers...all this because i like to avoid winter in oz

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

A couple days ago I started the Camino Madrid from Segovia. Some of you may recall that I posted a few months ago looking for a relatively flat Camino to test out my body to find out if I could...
We planning a Camino Mixto of Camino Madrid/Salvador/Primitivo starting in early April next year. April 13-20 is Semana Santa next year We will probably fly in to Barcelona on 4th April and play...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back