• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Madrid

JohnnieWalker

Nunca se camina solo
Greetings from Madrid!

I´ve come over to spend New year with some friends and also to scout out the route from Madrid to be walked later in the year. No sign of Javier yet :)

The weakness of sterling against the euro is striking and everyone reports that it is having an affect on the number of tourists. Also whilst the weather in Madrid is steadily cold the TV reports the worst weather for 60 years in some parts of Espana - hope all is ok Rebekah! To complete the goodwill trio the priest at the end of Mass today offered a prayer that everyone would enjoy New Year despite the economic crisis!

But I must confess my usual bars are full and like most other folk the Spaniards seem set to enjoy New year and the feast of the Kings despite any adversity... but the more one thinks about the world´s problems the more the simplicity of life on the Camino beckons.

Hasta la proxima

John

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
John,

You are a renaissance man, considering a winter go...but then, you've done that before, right?

If there wasn't so much going on here right now, I'd be tempted to come on over. Fares right now Dulles to Madrid r/t are under $600. I'd have to go slow...the knee is about 85%.

Happy New Year to both you and Ivar!

Arn

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Woah! I´m in Madrid for the very tail-end of the year, to put my boy on the plane home. Are you around on the evening of 30 December? Let´s meet up for an Indian meal in Lavapies... or the lowdown joint of your choice.

How I would love to meet the genuine Johnnie Walker! I buy the first round!

Reb.

John,
I sang at Midnight Mass again :D They are all too polite to make comments about not knowing who I am. I loved the singing, and they were short of altos anyhow!
Happy New Year, and don't choke on your grapes!
Margaret

New Year's Greetings, John!
I'm so jealous that you are in Madrid - and you too Reb! Tomad una copa para mi! Wishing a you a happy, safe and propserous 2009!

Buen Camino,

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Greetings All

Well...camino coincidences continue to happen. When I read Rebekah´s posting I was sitting in an intenet cafe in Lavapies in the the midst of a street of indian restaurants!

Needless to say a party has been organised for this evening in downtown Madrid...those of you who can, please show up at 8pm...those who can´t please send money to buy a round. We´ll think of you!

Margaret, good for you and remember altos are ALWAYS needed in London!

I visited the singing nun now installed in her new office in the Cathedral in Madrid and not singing every day anymore. I suspect she won´t be back in Santiago for a considerable time but sends her best regards to all pilgrims.

More soon.

Regards

John

Well...meeting Rebekah turned out to be a blast. Lots to talk about, we almost turned the restaurant into an albergue with all of the Camino chat.

Hogmanay or the Nochevieja was splendid here in Madrid - thousands congregate in la Puerta del Sol, the very centre of Spain, to countdown to 12 midnight and eat a grape with every boom of the great town hall clock. Then fantastic fireworks. This isn´t something I am used to back home - I suppose it was too cold to be outside. But all over Spain in towns large and small the "bells" of the New Year are accompanied by fireworks. A couple of years ago enjoying a new year drink on the roof terrace of a mountain retreat in Andalucia the pitch darkness of the valley below was punctured by fireworks in small villages and individual casas. Here in Madrid just 10 mins from Sol the local council had arranged a full 30 mins fireworks display for the residents of the barrio - wonderful.

And the parties continue. No sooner is Christmas and New Year over and the Spanish start to cram the shops to prepare for the feast of Kings - a spectacular festival celebrated all over Spain with open air processions showering the crowds with sweets. Not to be experienced this year...alas.

Happy 2009 to all.

John

Note to all: Johnny Walker is the Real Deal, and meeting up with fellow PTS board members is very worthwhile fun!

Midnight Dec. 31 in Sahagun, right next to the big old arco, was deader than dead. We ate our grapes to the strokes of the clock, but wondered where the whole town was gone.

Turns out they were all at home whooping it up with granny and the kids... they all fill the streets again about 1 a.m., and keep the bars hopping til about 5! By then, alas, we were back in our warm bed in Moratinos, zuzzing away like Anglos.

Next year we´ll do better!

Meantime,
All are invited to converge here in Moratinos the third weekend of August, when the town fiesta fills the streets with racket and we plan to have Visiting Guest Artists from Scotland and USA provide world-class music at the Mass, procession, and concert times. The Peaceable will kill the fatted calf, if a South African can be found to barbecue it!

Reb.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Re: Camino Madrid and New Year's Eve

Hello Johnny, Becky and everyone, it seems I have succumbed to the Australian/South African tendency to put a Y on the end of friend's names! We had a lovely New Year's Eve on a small island off the southern Norwegian coast. Had a bit of trouble getting there because the fjord was frozen and we wondered if the boat could stand the ice! Kari has some artist friends who live on the island so we all took some food and wine (Spanish of course!) pooled everything and had a great party. At midnight we went outside to watch the fireworks on the mainland before doing our ritual Norwegian dance round the Christmas tree. It was great to think of you all in Madrid, send a photo or two if you get a chance, one of you! One question - where is Lavapies? We know the area round the Puerto del Sol, Plaza Mayor and there are one or two Indian restaurants there but not a "whole street". Have a Happy New Year, all of you.
Best
Kevin and Kari

Hi everybody!!

John, Reb, if I would've known you were here I would've tried to meet you! My problem, I always read late the phorum!!

If next time you send me a PM I can try to organize my time to meet you (not always, but sometimes possible)

Buen Camino,

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
OK... anyone in Madrid on Jan. 25? Let´s meet up! I´ll be back in Lavapies again with another camino veteran from Paris/Buffalo, but I gotta catch a train in the late afternoon from Chamartin... anyone up for some Colombian or Cuban cuisine in Cuatro Caminos? (it´s only appropriate, eh?)

(I´m having trouble with my Personal Message thingy, so this applies to you too, Javier. )

I'm missing you by 2 weeks, Reb. I'll be in Madrid Feb. 14, 15, 16. But have a copa for me! (And I'll return the favor at Gijón while I'm there!) :wink:

Buen Camino,

Let's not forget we have a great calendar to post our wherabouts. Post yours and maybe match up with some members??? That would be fun, eh?
Looking forward to mine. Arrive in Barcelona April 30.
Lillian

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Rebekah Scott said:
OK... anyone in Madrid on Jan. 25? Let´s meet up! I´ll be back in Lavapies again with another camino veteran from Paris/Buffalo, but I gotta catch a train in the late afternoon from Chamartin... anyone up for some Colombian or Cuban cuisine in Cuatro Caminos? (it´s only appropriate, eh?)

(I´m having trouble with my Personal Message thingy, so this applies to you too, Javier. )

Reb, during the 25th's weekend I'll be outside, sharing some activities with pilgrims in the Delta del Ebro (where the Camino del Ebro begins) in a meeting for pilgrims and their childrens, just to enjoy the incredible nature of this place.

And possibly we will find yellow arrows, too, I saw there in my last visit, three years ago.

My next walking will be the 7/8 Feb, Astorga - Ponferrada. ¿With any snow? Today it's been snowing all the journey in my town, impossible to take any road to go work, schools closed, holidays for children. What's about pilgrims? A good friend of mine, who today has arrived in Santiago, said "everything is white! Wonderful!"

Buen Camino, in winter if possible

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello I am in the planning phase of the Camino de Madrid. Hoping to start walking in late May. The Confraternity of James' guidebook in out of print and no longer available, so I have been basing...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.