• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Manchego

Bachibouzouk

Time of past OR future Camino
Voie de Soulac, Frances, De La Plata, Sureste/Levante, Manchego, Ruta del Argar.
I'm looking at walking the Camino Manchego (Ciudad Real to Toledo) with some Ruta Don Quijote variations in May next year.

I'd welcome any thoughts/recommendations/comments.

Particularly looking for a list of albergues/acogidas along the way.

Something along these lines:

Day 1 - Ciudad Real to Malagon (29 kms)
Day 2 - Malagon to Urda (30 kms)
Day 3 - Urda to Orgaz (37 kms)
Day 4 - Orgaz - Toledo (36 kms)/

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Completed the Camino Manchego last week. It is something of a continuation of the Camino San Juan de la Cruz which starts in Granada and links up with either the Levante or the Sureste in Toledo. Mundicamino has the Manchego as a 5 day walk but I did it in 4 days (see my first post above). There are no albergues on this route, though it may be possible to stay in the Casa de Espiritualidad in Urda - I couldn't get through to them. So unless you are camping, its hotel accommodation all the way, which will set you back between 20 and 30 euros a night - another good reason to do it in four rather than five days.

The route is reasonably well waymarked and often follows one of the Ruta Don Quijote. I did get confused leaving Ciudad Real but that's probably true for me of every major town. Don't expect regular yellow arrows but it is generally obvious which way to go. It's the usual mix of path, graded track and tarmac.

I didn't get much of a Camino feel on this one. The walk starts at the Santiago church in Cuidad Real but without any sort of guidebook and very limited Spanish I wasn't able to encounter much else related to St James. Even the Ruta Don Quijote seemed a bit of a misnomer. Plenty of Cervantes' related statuary and street names but then again so there is almost everywhere else in La Mancha. Cuidad Real does have an excellent Cervantes museum, which is well worth an hour or two of anyone's time though only in Spanish.

The walk at this time of year (May) was particularly good for flora and fauna. Wild flowers of vivid reds, purples, yellows, blues along the wayside and in the fields. Storks, birds of prey, herons, egrets, ducks. I even got to see an otter, not something you get to see too often where I come from. The route in essence heads due North and parallel to the N-401. It takes you around and through various ridges of hills (Los Montes de Toledo?) and is by and large flat with the sole exception of a small climb between Los Yebenes and Orgaz. On the ridge are two fine molinos and a view that stretches for miles. From here you can make out the castle ruins of Almonacid de Toledo in the distance. The walk into Toledo from Cobisa is much more spectacular than the one I had used last time via Las Nieves and the motorway (see my post on the Levante/Sureste/Quijote thread on how not to approach Toledo). Mostly the Camino takes you through agricultural landscapes ringed by distant hills but there were some wetlands too - the river Guadiana, the Embalse de Vicario and around Guadalerzas. There are plenty of places to stop off for coffee, beer and a bocadillo. I reckon the longest stretch without any sort of refreshments would be about 20 kms.

Needless to say I saw no other walkers until I reached Toledo. You certainly need to like sun, solitude and cerveza.

Buen Camino a todos.

AlfĂ­n del Asfalto

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
You certainly need to like sun, solitude and cerveza.

"sun, solitude and cerveza" - if you add "sopa de ajo", that's as close as you'll get to my idea of paradise on earth.

Thanks for your description - it looks to me as if it might be possible to combine your route with the route from Murcia to Caravaca de la Cruz, continuing from Caravaca partly by the Ruta de la orden de Calatrava. If it works, that might be 2020 or 21 sorted for me.

"sun, solitude and cerveza" - if you add "sopa de ajo", that's as close as you'll get to my idea of paradise on earth.

Thanks for your description - it looks to me as if it might be possible to combine your route with the route from Murcia to Caravaca de la Cruz, continuing from Caravaca partly by the Ruta de la orden de Calatrava. If it works, that might be 2020 or 21 sorted for me.

You may well be right, Alan. Without poring over the maps I couldn't say. I'd not heard of the Ruta de la Orden de Calatrava before but I did Google it. Caravaca is on my next hike (Ruta del Argar: Lorca to Mora/Toledo) in September so I may have more for you then. I'll post a resumé of that hike on the Ruta del Argar thread.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi there, I have found this free guide from the Asociacion de Amigos de Camino and Universidad de Castilla-La Mancha: Camino Manchego Guide . Although, it was published in 2011 and it is only available in Spanish, it was so delightful to read it. It includes lot of historical information and interesting facts about the this ancient camino. You will be following the steps of St Teresa de Jesus, St Juan de la Cruz, St Francisco de Borja and St Vicente Ferrer in their way from Toledo to Andalucia.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread was the only resource I could see on the forum prior to walking this Camino so I thought I would post a summary of my own experience. I started on September 16th and did the distance to Toledo in the four stages set out by the OP.

I used the Buen Camino app to resolve any confusion about the route although this was relatively minor with one exception which I will describe below. I would describe route marking as generally adequate and often good.

I used Booking.com for accommodation as I wanted certainty, and my Spanish is not fluent enough to root out any specifically pilgrim accommodation which might be available.

Day 1 - Ciudad Real to Malagon (29 kms) – basically a flat stage to start. Virtually all off road but the paths are generally rocky which reflects the landscape. The first part as far as the old railway bridge has potential for error but if you stick close to the railway you will be on the right track. I would describe this as a scruffy stage, nothing to object to but no real theme to the walking or any memorable features. One bar after 12km but nothing open in the next village (8km further) so I was glad I had enough water and food.

Day 2 - Malagon to Urda (35 kms) – Well marked today. The first 12km were through olive groves in a more scenic landscape than the day before Fuente el Fresno where bars were open on the main square. The rest of this stage was rainy for the only time in my Camino. After Fuente you walk next to the N-401 road mainly on good paths until 11km to Urdas where you branch off along a deteriorating secondary road with very little traffic. I saw no more than five vehicles in 11 km although it was Sunday afternoon. The centre of Urda was pleasant with a few bars. They have their own pilgrimage attraction in the form of an 18th century crucified Christ, but the basilica was not open when I was there.

Day 3 - Urda to Orgaz (38 kms) – generally well-marked again with one exception I will come to. The scenery was more memorable today and after a few km alongside the road there is a lovely stretch through the countryside until you intersect with yesterday’s N-401 road north to Los Yebenes. The arrows offered an off-road route, but I was unable to work this out and after scrabbling for ten minutes walked on the road which wasn’t great, but the drivers were considerate. I can only presume the Camino went through what looked to be a fenced off farm area. After crossing the railway, I rejoined the Camino to walk through fields until the path seemed to have been ploughed and I ended up on the road for the last few km to Los Yebenes which was the first village/town after 28km of walking so make sure you are stocked up. The town is on the slopes of the Montes de Toledo, and I was in dire need of a rest and a drink when I got to the church. Here I was accosted by a local TV reporter who wanted to interview a pelegrino. With my lack of Spanish and weary state and her lack of English it was fair to say this was not a success. I eventually escaped to a bar and after rehydrating climbed the last 20 minutes to the windmills and enjoyed a pleasant walk to my overnight destination of Orgaz which was a pleasant and historic town.

Day 4 - Orgaz - Toledo (36 kms) – Well marked with more places open in villages along the way. After the first town Sonseca 9km it is a very enjoyable and scenic walk. The only issue was the last km into Cobisa where flooding had made a mess of the path which made it hard going. There was a similar stretch on the stage from Toledo to Torrijos the next day. The Manchego merges with the Levante in Corbisa for the walk into Toledo which is as uplifting and enjoyable an approach as any I have done on my Caminos and may indeed be the best. For some absurd reason it had not occurred to me that Toledo would be full of tourists and sword shops.

I would definitely recommend Ciudad Real as a starting point if you don’t have the time to go from Valencia. It is an hour by train from Madrid Atocha. Doing it in four stages was quite tough but it can easily be split into five by staying in Los Yebenes. As I mentioned above, day one is a bit non-descript, but the scenery improves from there. I did walk on the road for stretches on the third day, but this can be avoided if you don’t mind walking on rocky soil.

Not one for the gregarious as I met no other pilgrims in the four days so a lot will depend on whether this is integral to your Camino experience.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

As more people discover the Camino, the usual routes will become more crowded. Wanting a more spiritual/meditative pilgrimage, I have charted a more "rustic"/rural (anti-social?) route, but would...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back