• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Markers in Galicia

Colin Botterman

Hi, I live on the Camino near Pedrouzo and often walk our dogs along the Camino. It saddens me to see the new distance markers that the Galician government spent a huge amount of money to improve the Camino for Pilgrims and help them navigate have been (1), Vandalized... It seems that people think it is a great idea to lever off the distance plaque off of the markers, Presumably as a memento??? and (2) The mindless graffiti that has been plastered all across the stones. My question is... WHY???? I have spoken to our local Police and they inform me that they are aware of this mindless stupidity by some people, They also told me that anyone caught either defacing or stealing from the markers will be given a lovely Fine of from €1000 to €5000.
Please..if you see anyone doing the Camino the injustice of stealing or defacing, please report to the local Police Station, they will be happy to help stamp out this mindless action.
That's my rant over and Buen Camino to all the real Pilgrims who come to enjoy our wonderful countryside.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
That is just pathetic. We live in a world where selfies & the need to prove what one does has taken over common sense. The concrete posts at least they couldn't pack those away, yet they still found a way to chisel off the shell. It is nice you can walk other routes & find them intact.
Can anyone describe the earlier markers? No don't if they discover them who knows what could happen to them.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Great post Colin, thanks.

I finished up the Camino Frances last week (starting at St Jean Pied de Port) and I thought the Galician obelisks were easily the best way markers along the journey. Although I did find myself getting a little depressed when they first started appearing with their relentless and precise countdown of the remaining kilometers - meaning my Camino was fast drawing to a close.

The vandalizing you write about is especially pronounced in the last 20-30 kilometers, and looking back, it's amazing that the 100 kilometer to go plate is still in tact (well, it was there last week) when so many others later on are not.

But, sadly, the problem is not confined to Galicia. The scallop shells / arrows on just about every marker coming into Logrono also appear to have been souveniered. It often put me in two minds about which was the correct route when walking through there.

It's just very disappointing that the great work your and other local authorities do to make our journey that much more pleasurable is ruined in that way.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I will never understand how anyone could ever think this was OK or acceptable. file.jpeg

Attachments

• file.jpeg
    file.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Hi, I live on the Camino near Pedrouzo and often walk our dogs along the Camino. It saddens me to see the new distance markers that the Galician government spent a huge amount of money to improve the Camino for Pilgrims and help them navigate have been (1), Vandalized... It seems that people think it is a great idea to lever off the distance plaque off of the markers, Presumably as a memento??? and (2) The mindless graffiti that has been plastered all across the stones. My question is... WHY???? I have spoken to our local Police and they inform me that they are aware of this mindless stupidity by some people, They also told me that anyone caught either defacing or stealing from the markers will be given a lovely Fine of from €1000 to €5000.
Please..if you see anyone doing the Camino the injustice of stealing or defacing, please report to the local Police Station, they will be happy to help stamp out this mindless action.
That's my rant over and Buen Camino to all the real Pilgrims who come to enjoy our wonderful countryside.

Following up on this post. There is an article in the local paper about this....
http://www.lavozdegalicia.es/notici...grinos-camino-frances/0003_201608L20C4991.htm

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.