• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Markers Vandalism

Colin Botterman

A follow on to a previous post.
All the Camino markers in our village of Brea have had their distance plaques ripped off and graffiti put on them. I have removed the graffiti and will now put the distance back on to help pilgrims.
Again my question is what is in the minds of these vandals and thieves?
Again the local Police have been informed.
If you see any sort of mindless vandalism on the Camino please report it. It will be taken seriously.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I found this also while travelling through Galicia. Plaques were stolen or swapped and the milestones were covered in graffiti. One of my favourite was ' Jesus didn't travel to Jerusalem on a bicycle'. Might I suggest that he didn't have a sharpie either!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
All the Camino markers in our village of Brea have had their distance plaques ripped off and graffiti put on them. I have removed the graffiti and will now put the distance back on to help pilgrims.
If you see any sort of mindless vandalism on the Camino please report it. It will be taken seriously.
Thank you for your support of pilgrims on the Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
What's in their minds? I would guess not a whole lot. They are just idiots.
I noticed in Galicia on my recent Camino that some of the markers looked new, yet had already been damaged by graffiti. Very sad, and inexcusable.

Thank you for taking care of the markers near your town.

In May, on the way to O'Cebriero,I noticed that the Galacia sign was refurbished and looked great. Close to the Galacia sign was one of the new markers. The plaques were showing the distance to Santiago in 3 decimals. I.E. 149.376. The first one I saw made me think that the sign maker had a sense of humor but I soon realized that 3 decimal plaques were now the norm. I only noticed 2 or three markers vandalized until I reached Sarria. From Sarria on, most of the plaques were missing and unfortunately most of the new markers had graffiti. In reading this post, it would appear that it only got worse during the summer.

Instead of not allowing trekking poles on air-planes, perhaps sharpies should be prohibited.

Instead of not allowing trekking poles on airplanes, perhaps sharpies should be prohibited.

Very good one! I love it! :D

full

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The numbers were removed from two stone markers in Brea, near Pedrouzo last night. Plus the morons sprayed graffiti. mindless vandalism.

There should be a specially reserved echelon in hell for those that interfere with road and direction signs . Not so great a problem in the summer , transfer the uncertainty they cause to a dark Winter's evening and a mind numbed by cold and exertion . A clear and tangible risk to everyone passing .

DSCN4620.jpeg
The closer to Santiago, the worse it gets! When 1 graffiti hits, then many follow - they fester upon one another. Last 29 Sept.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I found this also while travelling through Galicia. Plaques were stolen or swapped and the milestones were covered in graffiti. One of my favourite was ' Jesus didn't travel to Jerusalem on a bicycle'. Might I suggest that he didn't have a sharpie either!

I recently did the Camino Ingles and as far as I remember all Camino markers were unpolluted. I mean this problem is not general in Galicia.

Plaques on the mojones was always a bad idea. They should not have gone with them just to be able to mass manufacture the mojones. Now we get the consequences. ;)
Someone's riding out the recession on the back of that one!

is it wrong that I am fantasizing about a mild electric current, so that anyone pulling off plaques, adding stones/shoes/other rude detritus, or applying sharpies would get a mild reminder to act like an adult?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Reports of money missing from a few wallets at Rocanvelles this afternoon. Money was taken, but the wallets/purses were not. Police have been called. Stay safe!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back