• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Mendocino (Camino Madrid alternative)

peregrina2000

Staff member
I have spent the last few days with some good friends who live in Soto Del Real. Walk out their door and you are on dirt paths that go all over the Guadarrama foothills. This time I was surprised to see not only yellow arrows but also official wooden mojones denominating this as the Camino Mendocino, which merges with the Madrid in Manzanares el Real.

The little I have learned is that it’s 4 days from Guadalajara to Manzanares. I am going to do some more research when I’m back home but it looks like it could be a great alternative for those who either don’t fancy leaving from Madrid (though it is one of the best big city departures I’ve ever walked) or who want to prolong their camino by a few days.

By chance has anyone walked this route?

Buen camino Laurie.

Ps. Using the last bits of my Spanish gb before my plane takes off, I found this.
http://www.caminosantiago.org/cpperegrino/caminos/caminover.asp?kCamino=ES49a&CaminoId=402

Last edited:
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I have had a couple of PMs with a forum member about the Camino de Madrid, and I remembered this thread. I know there are other forum members out there planning a Camino de Madrid this year, and this might be tempting — either because of its unknown and untraveled feature, or because you don’t want to start walking in the city of Madrid.

I am supposing that no one on the forum has walked it, but any information would be most welcome!

Buen camino Laurie.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have had a couple of PMs with a forum member about the Camino de Madrid, and I remembered this thread. I know there are other forum members out there planning a Camino de Madrid this year, and this might be tempting — either because of its unknown and untraveled feature, or because you don’t want to start walking in the city of Madrid.
I am supposing that no one on the forum has walked it, but any information would be most welcome!
Buen camino Laurie.

To put @peregrina2000's post in context ....... until yesterday I had a very tidy plan for walking the Camino de Madrid in May. However, a conversation with Laurie sparked my interest in the Camino Mendocino and sent me down a rabbit hole of Camino research :)

I discovered that the wonderful Ray y Rosa have written a guide to this route, including GPS tracks for each of the four stages. They've included very helpful information about accommodation and services along the way. I went from thinking 'this is way outside my comfort zone' to seriously considering it as an option.

The four suggested etapas are:
  1. Guadalajara to Viñuelas. 30.4kms
  2. Viñuelas to Torrelaguna. 22.8kms
  3. Torrelaguna to Guadalix de la Sierra. 22.6kms
  4. Guadalix de la Sierra to Manzanares el Real. 20.5kms (where it joins the Camino de Madrid)
My original plan was to start from San Sebastian de los Reyes (another alternative start point for the Madrid), so this would add an extra 2.5 days of walking.

Ray y Rosa also manage a facebook page about the Madrid routes (including this one), which I haven't had a chance to look at yet.

It seems that very few pilgrims take this option, but I'm curious to know if any forum members are familiar with the terrain. It doesn't look too scary - but maybe I'm missing something.

Thanks! Nuala

Last edited:
To put @peregrina2000's post in context ....... until yesterday I had a very tidy plan for walking the Camino de Madrid in May. However, a conversation with Laurie sparked my interest in the Camino Mendocino and sent me down a rabbit hole of Camino research :)

I discovered that the wonderful Ray y Rosa have written a guide to this route, including GPS tracks for each of the four stages. They've included very helpful information about accommodation and services along the way. I went from thinking 'this is way outside my comfort zone' to seriously considering it as an option.

The four suggested etapas are:
  4. Guadalix de la Sierra to Manzanares el Real. 20.5kms (where it joins the Camino de Madrid)

My original plan was to start from San Sebastian de los Reyes (another alternative start point for the Madrid), so this would add an extra 3 days of walking.

Ray y Rosa also manage a facebook page about the Madrid routes (including this one), which I haven't had a chance to look at yet.

It seems that very few pilgrims take this option, but I'm curious to know if any forum members are familiar with the terrain. It doesn't look too scary - but maybe I'm missing something.

Thanks! Nuala
The first stage can be hard because up and downs and 30.4 kms.
The second is easy because half is flat and then down to Torrelaguna.
Torrelaguna to Manzanares the terrain is similar to Tres Cantos to Manzanares.

The first stage can be hard because up and downs and 30.4 kms.
The second is easy because half is flat and then down to Torrelaguna.
Torrelaguna to Manzanares the terrain is similar to Tres Cantos to Manzanares.

Thanks @Pelegrin, I agree that a hilly 30km walk is less than ideal for Day 1!

I’ve been scrolling through the Facebook page for this route. Ray y Rosa walked the Mendocino last month and posted lots of photos and videos. The terrain appears quite manageable - I don’t think there are any technical climbs or descents.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Another little snippet that might be of use to those researching this route in the future.

Ray y Rosa's suggested stages are:
  4. Guadalix de la Sierra to Manzanares el Real. 20.5kms
The 'official' suggested stages (from the link in Laurie's first post) are:
  1. Guadalajara to Viñuelas. (as above)
  2. Viñuelas to Torrelaguna. (as above)
  3. Torrelaguna to Soto del Real 33.3kms
  4. Soto del Real to Manzanares el Real. 9.9kms
It's interesting to read the narrative on the respective websites. Ray y Rosa make a strong case for Guadalix de la Sierra as the more desirable stopping point. However, they also acknowledge the BIG problem with this - it has no pilgrim accommodation! This is a shame, as it seems to have everything else that a pilgrim would need. Perhaps they are putting a message out there to the Ayuntamiento.

For those attracted to this type of walk, 33.3kms to Soto del Real is probably very doable. However, it has my least favourite feature of a long walk - a hill in the final stages! Not impossible though, especially after a rest and lunch in Guadalix de la Sierra.

Incidentally, that day could be shortened by a quick bus ride from Torrelaguna to Redueña, cutting out a hilly 8.9kms. There seems to be a bus at 7.20am. That might be a helpful option for anyone thinking of walking all the way to Manzanares on day 3.

Nuala

Last edited:
There is a plateau between Viñuelas and El Cubilla de Uceda you will see Sierra de Guadalajara in front, then down to Uceda and Torremocha del Jarama. Not far the hidden and touristic village of Patones de Arriba that deserves a detour.

There is a plateau between Viñuelas and El Cubilla de Uceda you will see Sierra de Guadalajara in front, then down to Uceda and Torremocha del Jarama. Not far the hidden and touristic village of Patones de Arriba that deserves a detour.

Thanks @Pelegrin, I really appreciate your input. That looks very interesting - I've added it to my notes.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
AHHHH, Patones de Arriba. What a lovely little town. I have eaten in a restaurant there where they served more meat to one table of 8 than I serve at my dinner table over the course of six months. I was there on a weekday, it was great, but I imagine that it is totally mobbed on weekends. But more to the point, pelergrin, how big of a detour would this be?

And one more question since you know the area. Is Talamanca anywhere near this route? This is going WAY WAY off topic, but a few years ago I visited a very innovative co-housing project in Talamanca. The ayuntamiento gave the land, I believe, and a group from Madrid built co-housing for seniors. I visited there and was quite impressed, this is an innovative project designed to encourage seniors to maintain autonomy but at the same time be able to rely on others who will help them out. I have been trying to find information on this place, but I have lost the name and can't find it. Do you know anything about this? Sorry for taking us off topic here.

AHHHH, Patones de Arriba. What a lovely little town. I have eaten in a restaurant there where they served more meat to one table of 8 than I serve at my dinner table over the course of six months. I was there on a weekday, it was great, but I imagine that it is totally mobbed on weekends. But more to the point, pelergrin, how big of a detour would this be?

And one more question since you know the area. Is Talamanca anywhere near this route? This is going WAY WAY off topic, but a few years ago I visited a very innovative co-housing project in Talamanca. The ayuntamiento gave the land, I believe, and a group from Madrid built co-housing for seniors. I visited there and was quite impressed, this is an innovative project designed to encourage seniors to maintain autonomy but at the same time be able to rely on others who will help them out. I have been trying to find information on this place, but I have lost the name and can't find it. Do you know anything about this? Sorry for taking us off topic here.

The detour to Patones de Arriba is 5,5 kms more or less. There is a short steep path just before the village.
I didn´t find anything about co-housing in Talamanca de Jarama but curiously there is a co-housing project in Torremocha.
https://topmayores.es/precios-opiniones/cohousing-trabensol/

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back