• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Mid-March????

crad80

Time of past OR future Camino
Completed Camino Frances (2010 & 2013); Camino Portugues (2011)
Hi there,

This will be my first time walking the Camino. I am planning on starting from St. Jean Pied-De-Port on March 17th. I was wondering what the Camino conditions will be like? Is everything open by then? Any help or assistance is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
That's just a little after me, who is starting from Roncesvalles the 10th.

I expect most things to be open, but I use pensions. I would think that most albergues too will be, but someone else might know that better than me.

Expect all kinds of weather: It might be sunny and warm, but it may also be quite cold. I will bring my underwear of wool, just in case! :)

Most, if not all, of the albergues will be open unless they are having some kind of problem. Some of the private albergues tend to open a little later than your start but you will find one open everywhere along the way.
The weather will be cold in the mornings, decent most afternoons. You will have sun, rain, wind and snow.....just about anything you can think of. Remember you are crossing about 800 kms and the climate and terrain will change drastically. St. Jean to Roncesvalles could be a problem weather wise but you can get a current update in SJPP at the Pilgrim Office.
Buen Camino

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I walked the Camino in March 2010. In terms of finding open alburgues, there were one or two that I came accross that were not yet opened for the season. Alternatives were always available so this was not an issue. It was a good time of year in that the alburgues, and for that matter the actual walk along the Camino, were both uncrowded.

As to weather, anything goes. Last March there were some areas of snow through the mountains, as well as strong gale force winds with rain in other places. However for the most part the days were pleasant - cool in the early mornings, turning comfortably warm and sunny by afternoon. Take a sturdy poncho along with you, and a warm pair of gloves. The cheaper ponchos can get shredded and fall apart in high wind. Obviously weather conditions vary from year to year, particulary given that March tends to be somewhat of a transitionaI period.

One of the best pieces of advice - before setting out from St. Jean Pied de Port ensure that you have checked the weather conditions for that day and that conditions are satisfactory for traveling the route that you choose to get to Roncensvalles. In bad weather this is potentially the most difficult and hazardous stage of the Camino. In good weather it is arguably the most beautiful stage and a great way to get started!

Without doubt the largest obstacle last year was mud. By March mountain snowmelt flowing along the Camino, coupled with rain made it difficult trekking in some areas. As it seems that far less snow has fallen in the mountains this year, perhaps it may be less of a hinderance for you.

In any event, you have selected a great time to walk the Camino.
Buen Camino!

Hi,
If you arrive in SJPDP late in the day, get the WX at the pilgrim office. If favorable, consider staying over and then an early start. The stretch to Roncesvalles is the steepest on the Camino per KM,
So consider breaking it into two days with a stop at Orisson. You will not regret it. Again, if the WX indicates heavy snow...consider a delay.
Burn Camino
Arn

Hi Vigdis:

I noticed you will be starting the Camino from Roncesvalles a week before me. Is there a passport office in Roncesvalles where one can pick up their Pilgrim Passport? Thanks in advance. :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Crad80,

You can get the credential from the Pilgrim office in Roncesvalles at the Monastery.

They also have many solid pieces of info for the rest of your walk along the Way.

Buen "not burn" Camino,

Arn

Hi there

I will be starting the Camino from Bordeaux on March 14, and appreciating this forum to read that there will be more starting in this month!

Once question I have is regarding sleeping bags and mats, since this is a colder month, will it be necessary to have a sleeping bag and mat along considering its a colder month?

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
On the Arles, Le Puy, and Vezelay routes, I never needed a mat. Hotels have linen, but the gites generally require that you have a sleeping bag or sleeping sack. Pillows do not get cleaned a lot, so a pillow case that will accept the shapes of French pillows (square or the long tube) will be useful.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Also a stretchy cotton t-shirt fits any pillow. I've been using them for years to cover pillows I'm not sure of..

lynne

Try to break your first planned day up into two - SJPDP to Rocesvalles can be a wicked streach for your first day on the Camino. :arrow: :idea:
As for the time of year - Yes a little chilly with few crowds, but for Easter with its magic Festivals and processions. :D

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
falcon269 said:
but the gites generally require that you have a sleeping bag or sleeping sack. Pillows do not get cleaned a lot

hey, thanks for the info
what exactly do you mean by this? Is there a list of hostels or hotels to say in on these routes?
I haven't bought my map yet, and looking online I don't see lists of places to stay on the route Vía Turonensis in which I hope to be following. Are these places found on the maps purchased?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
thank you! I wasn't sure how many require a sleeping bag
will have to freshen up my french to get the most out of those site!

All gîtes d’étape require a sleeping bag or sleeping sack. No one is permitted to sleep directly on the mattress. Chambres d'hôte and hotels normally supply linen, and private homes will, too.

The French appreciate the effort to speak French, even when it is incomprehensibly bad. I can understand French when spoken by the British expatriates, and the French who speak one word at a time! When even the simplest phrase is spoken as a continuous sound, its meaning is lost on me.

"Plus lentement, s'il vous plait" was the best phrase I learned. Well, that and the difference between tout droit and droite in the French language guides. Spoken, they sound the same to my tin ear.

Most read last week in this forum

This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back