• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Mozárabe from Granada in September/October 2014

LTfit

Veteran Member
Life sometimes takes unexpected turns and so I will be off in two weeks to start the Camino Mozárabe from Granada to Mérida. I will start walking on Wednesday September 24th. Luckily the Amigos office in Granada is open on Tuesday evenings so that I can pick up a new credencial and their guide (available also as a PDF file in English and Spanish: http://www.caminomozarabedesantiago.es/guia.php

This is their website if anyone is interested: http://eliniciomozarabe.es/

And this is a website about the Camino:http://www.caminomozarabedesantiago.es/index.php

According to my calculations and the Amigos it should take me 14 days. I plan to spend a day in Granada and one in Córdoba to take in all the wonderful sight.

From Mérida I will bus to Salamanca to walk the rest of the Plata/Sanabrés. This will be my second time as I walked Sevilla-Zamora summer 2011, Zamora-SdC summer 2013 and Sevilla-Salamanca again last February.

The Camino may have other plans for me but this is what I have planned thus far.

I may be alone but hope to luck out and meet someone along the way. Will anyone be around at that time?

Cheers,
LT

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
@LTfit buen camino to you. I will be very interested in your route from Córdoba to Merida as I am planning to walk the Mozarabe from Málaga next year. Looking forward to hearing more about it.

Me too, so please post if you can,
Best wishes.
George

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
buen camino! keep us informed, I live just south of Granada and hope to walk that stretch one of these years! Still fairly hot days, it has not rained for 4 or 5 months, so you will most likely find some storms along the way, beware!

Echoing the buen camino, Lt! I will be watching for you on the forum, hoping you have a great camino. One of these days we will coincide on a camino, I'm sure of it. Buen camino, Laurie

ps. I never did figure out how to use the forum ap (one of the advantages of being a tech idiot, I guess,), but I was able to post easily from my phone. I just can't remember how I did it. There's a thread somewhere on here in which theatregal told me how to do it, I'll look for it and link it here. Laurie

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks for that link Laurie and your good wishes as those from Amancio!

I never really need to think much about what to pack (down to a science) but I will be starting out in the South where it's warm then jump up to Salamanca and Northwards mid October where it will be cooler. What do you guys think? Pack a pair of pants or stick to my 3/4 length leggings? Feel as if I need to be carrying two seasons.

Thanks for that link Laurie and your good wishes as those from Amancio!

I never really need to think much about what to pack (down to a science) but I will be starting out in the South where it's warm then jump up to Salamanca and Northwards mid October where it will be cooler. What do you guys think? Pack a pair of pants or stick to my 3/4 length leggings? Feel as if I need to be carrying two seasons.

Do you carry two bottom things, LT? If so, I'd bring one of each, wear one and carry one. I think that walking in the leggings would generally be fine, after all how cold is the part of your leg between your calf and your ankle going to get while you are walking. And actually the leggings may give more warmth if the temps get cold than the pants. I always walk in pants, but only because my dermatologist would kill me if I had exposed skin on the camino because of my relationship with skin cancer. With pants and leggings, though, you could throw the pants on over the leggings if it got very cold. I think the main issue is likely to be post-walking when you aren't moving around as much. Sorry I can't be of much help. But I hope you will be posting pictures no matter what you decide to wear! Laurie

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
LT I have only come back today after a long absence..You are an inspiration, you might be walking alone? I met aussies on the Via de la Plata in Apr/May who had come this way and not met a soul. They were real hardy men!. I like a legging of merino/icebreaker/even technical! you can wear at night, under 3/4 pants etc...my lower legs never get cold, but like Laurie says i am now under the thumb of dermatology, got to keep covered. I read all your posts on the Via de la Plata and remembered many things you said, I look forward to reading more...Good Luck...Buen Camino. Una

LT, on September 19, 2012 I walked out of Granada and it was 34 degrees. I took 19 days to reach Merida, with one rest day in Alcaudete ( that was only day 4 and I was already exhausted !! ) and another in Cordoba. I did not meet any pilgrims . I met my first Peregrino as I walked out of Merida, and from there to Salamanca , I met about 8-10. After Salamanca there were no pilgrims until I met a Spanish guy whom I walked with for 6 days ,and after Lubian I did not meet any until Santiago. I found the weather quite warm all the way to Merida. I only needed 3/4 pants and a light shirt for that section. The VDLP was also quite warm until near Salamanca , but then started to cool. I remember the morning I walked out of Montemarte to Granju I was told the temperature was minus 5 degrees and the day temp only reached 10 degrees. I was so cold , even though the pants were lengthened and I was also wearing merino thermals, including long thermals. That night in the Albergue at Granju was FREEZING! Parts of the Sanabres were very cold, and I do remember one day walking from Bandiera where I went for a slide on ice ! I recall there was also some ice on the trail when I left Lubian. I walked into Santiago on day 60, stayed 3 nights, and then continued on to Finisterre. This Camino was an amazing life experience, taught me so much about myself, and about the kindness of strangers. I do regret I only had a few Spanish words, but the Universal language of a smile enables one to feel connected to the rest of humanity. Maybe , the fact that I am from Australia helped me cope with the isolation on parts of the walk. Sometimes I can't quite believe I did it at 65.
I wish you Buen Camino, and blessings for a wonderful Camino. Sandra

Thanks Laurie, @unadara and @Alexandra for answering by post.

Una - I too am back after about a 7 month absence. And yes, I will be walking alone although you never know on the Camino. I do suspect though that it will be different this time around. The Mozárabe is not well known. Although it took some getting used to the idea, I just bought myself a Kobo Aura e-reader. I love to hold books but I will be gone for 42 days and may often be alone and so opted for this e-reader as it is only 174 grams.

Sandra - You indeed experienced a huge range in temperatures! Unless I change my mind, I will not be doing the stretch Mérida - Salamanca (it would be the third time!) this time around. I did Sevilla - Salamanca this past February for the 2nd time and so will pick up were I left off. Since I should still have a week left over I might do some volunteering in an albergue (along the way or after I have finished).

I have pretty much decided to take 1-2, 3/4 leggings and one pair of pants which I will leave at the bottom of my pack in case of need. Temps in Granada and Córdoba have dropped in the past week from 35+ to about 24-30 and the temps in Salamanca and Zamora are about 22 degrees. As you guys all said, the pants are more for après Camino, not for walking.

I am sorting out my things and starting to get ready.

You will hear from me.

Cheers,
LT

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Life sometimes takes unexpected turns and so I will be off in two weeks to start the Camino Mozárabe from Granada to Mérida. I will start walking on Wednesday September 24th. Luckily the Amigos office in Granada is open on Tuesday evenings so that I can pick up a new credencial and their guide (available also as a PDF file in English and Spanish: http://www.caminomozarabedesantiago.es/guia.php

This is their website if anyone is interested: http://eliniciomozarabe.es/

And this is a website about the Camino:http://www.caminomozarabedesantiago.es/index.php

According to my calculations and the Amigos it should take me 14 days. I plan to spend a day in Granada and one in Córdoba to take in all the wonderful sight.

From Mérida I will bus to Salamanca to walk the rest of the Plata/Sanabrés. This will be my second time as I walked Sevilla-Zamora summer 2011, Zamora-SdC summer 2013 and Sevilla-Salamanca again last February.

The Camino may have other plans for me but this is what I have planned thus far.

I may be alone but hope to luck out and meet someone along the way. Will anyone be around at that time?

Cheers,
LT
Hi Lt,
Having walked from Granada to Santiago this past spring, I know you will have a fantastic time! We saw no other pilgrims for the first three weeks and particularly enjoyed the Granada-Cordoba leg. Looking forward to reading about your journey

Buen camino Lee :)
And I am going to take a look at that guide.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Flipping through the guide this looks like an interesting Camino. The only downsides for me would be the length of time to walk (estimated 50-60 days) and my limited Spanish. I think Language skills would be beneficial on this Camino. I also will be interested in following you walk.

Ultreya,
Joe

buen camino, compañero! I thought it would be 15 days or so, Mérida is a loong way from Granada!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Gracias Amancio!

Completed day 6 yesterday and reached Córdoba yesterday after a 40km stage. Beautiful Camino. Love the scenery: olive groves going on forever, white washed towns, rolling hills and mountains and castles.
Weather has been wonderful: 17-20c around 8 am and about 28-30 in the afternoon. Dry heat so doable.
No pilgrim accommodations until day 4 but allowed to stay in polideportivo in Alcaudete.
One minus (which may not be for others): I am the only one walking now, at least on my schedule. I hear that there are 1-2 pilgrims a day ahead. I don't mind walking alone but already 3 stages are without any towns in between and there are a few more coming up. I must say that after a week I am missing some company. Have even been thinking of jumping over to the Plata before Mérida. Will decide in a day or two.
@peregrina2000 if you want to see pics I posted some of every stage on FB (a heads-up as I know that you don't check it often). I think that you would image.jpg image.jpg love this Camino but potentially another solitary one.image.jpg
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 2
Wow, this is my kind of Camino! Hitting the "like" button doesn't even begin to capture my reaction. I will walk this someday.... si Dios quiere, of course. Like you, I'm growing a bit weary of these solitary caminos, but ....

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Hi all,
Finished day 9 today and am in Alcaracejos after a long day of 36-38 km with no town in between.
Took a day off to visit Córdoba which can't be missed.

While in Córdoba contemplated aborting this Camino as I am still alone but after a wonderful afternoon and evening with Dutch hospitalero friends in Cerro Muriano I decided to continue on and finish this Camino to Mérida.
As of Cerro Muriano the landscape changes and is now much like the Plata before Almadén de la Plata.

Here are some pictures from the past few days. First Córdoba.image.jpg

I would post more pictures but this is a real slow process when not able to use the app.
Will check in again in a few days.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 6
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Animo, peregrino! Walkign long distances with no pilgrim atmosphere and no towns in between, with little accommodation available, it does take a toll on your spirits, I would imagine! For me, VdLP was already challenging enough, not only the physical aspect, but also being mentally strong to keep going forward, ultreia, and not give up. I would not imagine you bumping into many other pilgrims once you pass Merida either, but I am sure you will be happy to be back in good old VdLP. buen camino!!!!

Day 11 finished but my battery on my phone about to die so will have to post tomorrow if I have wifi.
@amancio FYI I am a 'peregrinA'. @peregrina2000 I agree totally! Let's see what we can arrange.
Un abrazo fuerte a todos desde Monterrubio de la Serena.
Tomorrow almost 40 km!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
haha! buen camino peregrinA, you will be joining the main VdLP main flow in no time, glad to hear you are doing fine and dit not eventually take a bus to Merida.

Hi LT your great pictures have helped me decide next years Camino, Malaga -Merida-SdC-Finnisterre. Starting last week of March. If you could post any up to date info it would be geatly appreciated ie quality and state of waymarking, good accommodation etc etc.
Best wishes
George

Hi LT your great pictures have helped me decide next years Camino, Malaga -Merida-SdC-Finnisterre. Starting last week of March. If you could post any up to date info it would be geatly appreciated ie quality and state of waymarking, good accommodation etc etc.
Best wishes
George
Hi George, I too, am planning to walk from Málaga next year, but after Easter - early to mid April. It's a pity we are not planning to walk at the same time.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Magwood,
Company on what seems to be a seldom walked camino would have been great, but I plan to meet Joan and Stu my American amigos in Porto towards the end of April. (I plan to bus across from Salamanca) and then we will together walk to SdC, Muxia and Finnisterre. While I have not started to work out days yet I'm fairly certain It will take me something like 26 days to get to Salamanca not counting any rest days which means starting towards the end of March.
Regards
George

Wow, I only see now how HUGE my pictures came out. In the past I used the app and new exactly which setting to use. This is the first time posting fotos from the website.

Well I am safely home after walking Granada-Mérida; Salamanca-Tábara; Fuenterroble-Zamora (yes, returned south to walk with a friend); Tábara-Santiago. All in all 34 days walking, 2 days helping out in the albergue in Tábara and tourist days in Granada, Córdoba and once again in Salamanca.

I was blessed with sunshine EVERYDAY, even along the Sanabrés right up to my last day into Santiago. Hard to imagine but I wore t-shirt and 3/4 leggings from Sept 24th-November 1st.
I must have known that the weather was about to change when I decided to walk from Silleda-Santiago in one day (40km). The next day autumn started as well as the rain but I luckily was finished.

I will post details and some more pictures shortly.

Cheers,
LT

Most read last week in this forum

I've just completed the Camino Mozarabe from Almeria. My first Camino was the Camino Frances from SJPDP in October 2021. I don't have a trip report as such. I know people who trip on mushrooms...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back