• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Mozarabe 2016

NickW

Time of past OR future Camino
York to Rome + some stages of the Camino de Santiago in Switzerland and France. Plan to walk the Via de la Plata this spring
I'm intending to set off from Granada on March 27th and wander towards Santiago for a couple of months. Maybe I'll make it all in one go. Does anyone have any up-to-date tips on places to stay, especially the first few nights?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I don't have information for the first few days from Granada as I walked last year from Malaga. The trails merge at Baena. So after Baena I have included lots of information in my blog about accommodation. You are welcome to take a look - see the link below.
Buen camino!

The Pinos Puente albergue is not helping pilgrims any more, that is all I can think about now... buen camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I don't have information for the first few days from Granada as I walked last year from Malaga. The trails merge at Baena. So after Baena I have included lots of information in my blog about accommodation. You are welcome to take a look - see the link below.
Buen camino!
Thanks for the reply. Your advice is much appreciated and only leaves me with a few days to improvise. No fear!

The Pinos Puente albergue is not helping pilgrims any more, that is all I can think about now... buen camino!
Thanks Amancio, that was what I was wondering about. Never mind, I can always get a bus back to Granada, stay the night and return in the morning to Pinos Puente...

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I'm intending to set off from Granada on March 27th and wander towards Santiago for a couple of months. Maybe I'll make it all in one go. Does anyone have any up-to-date tips on places to stay, especially the first few nights?
Hi Nick, I walked Granada to Finisterre in Sept -Nov 2012.........it was an amazing life experience, but it is a very lonely route, especially Granada to Merida. Accommodation might have changed in the past 3 years, but this is where I stayed in the first few days..........Pinos Puente at Hotel Montserrat, very near the entry to the town........Moclin stayed in a Casa Rural La Briza, received the key etc from Bar El Califato........Alcala la Real, stayed at Hospidaria Zacatin.............Alcaudette, stayed 2 nights at Spa Rueda.........Baena stayed at Hostal Rincon. Please PM me if you want any other places I stayed in. From Granada to Merida I only stayed in one albergue, and that was in Campanario. I never ever booked accommodation in advance. At the time I walked my Camino, albergues were almost non existent on the Mozarabe. However, I was quite happy to stay in Hostals or small Hotels. I found the Spanish people to all be so friendly and helpful, especially to someone who only had about 20 Spanish words !
I wish you a wonderful Camino. Sandra

Laurie, I am considering, very seriously, leaving from Granada sometime in March 2017. I am worried about walking to Merida on my own, loneliness, chances of getting lost etc. When are you planning to start? Would you consider company for the first couple of weeks? Sorry to go off topic NickW.
Jacki.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Some places we stayed in March 2015:
Moclin - Hostal Rural Albergue - at the end of town, very comfortable, very friendly.
Alcala la Real - Hostal Rio de Oro. Two other good hotels in this town.
Alcaudete - Hospedería Castillo de Alcaudete - only double rooms. Very comfortable and very hospitable.
Baena - Hostal Las Claveles
Castro del Rio - Hostal Alcalasole.

I really enjoyed this camino - the walking is great, the towns are big enough but small enough. Some great food along the way including very fresh asparagus.

The website of the Almeria amigos gives a lot of information on albergues and route changes, the newest GPS-tracks, and so on. The route after Alcaudete is in the good care of the Cordoba frends. For the Granada-Alcaudete part it is more difficult to get recent information on the route and the albergues/hostals.

By the way, should this topic not move to the Camino Mozarabe section of this forum?

Laurie, I am considering, very seriously, leaving from Granada sometime in March 2017. I am worried about walking to Merida on my own, loneliness, chances of getting lost etc. When are you planning to start? Would you consider company for the first couple of weeks? Sorry to go off topic NickW.
Jacki.

Hi, Walli Walker, let's keep in touch as things develop. I will not be able to start till May, though. Would love company!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Thanks Amancio, that was what I was wondering about. Never mind, I can always get a bus back to Granada, stay the night and return in the morning to Pinos Puente...

well, you can push a bit further to some other town, or maybe find some hostel in Pinos Puente. As a Granada local, all I can say is Pinos Puente would not be one of my favourite places on earth, it is not particularly charming to say the least.

this said, when you leave Granada, I suggest taking the River Genil route instead of the Atarfe route, it has a lot more nature landscape, going through Atarfe involves lots of tarmac, traffic lights... urban route

Alan, are you definitely on for Almería in May 2017?
If you are content to have me for company, I will be there. But as someone who does not speak Spanish, who does not use a GPS, and who does not carry any electronic gear other than a phone, I would understand if you wished to find a fellow pilgrim who was more in tune with what you are used to.

Alan

Be brave. Life is joyous.

well, you can push a bit further to some other town, or maybe find some hostel in Pinos Puente. As a Granada local, all I can say is Pinos Puente would not be one of my favourite places on earth, it is not particularly charming to say the least.

this said, when you leave Granada, I suggest taking the River Genil route instead of the Atarfe route, it has a lot more nature landscape, going through Atarfe involves lots of tarmac, traffic lights... urban route

Amancio, can I find a map or description of this alternative route?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
well, you can find some description here; it is marked with yellow arrows, you cannot miss it, just follow the right bank of river Genil for a few miles, then you will find the detour to Pedro Ruiz marked. It is a lot nicer than all tarmac, traffic, curbs and concrete you find on the Atarfe way.

http://suzmaruk.blogspot.com.es/2014/03/camino-mozarado-day-1-granada-to-pinos.html

http://www.gronze.com/guia-del-camino-mozarabe/etapas/etapa-1-granada-olivares

http://176.9.21.115/wikiloc/view.do?id=3178689

I live in Granada and have seen the yellow arrows by the river myself, you cannot miss it! I am planning to follow that particular stage myself one of these days.

Buen camino!

Hi Nick, I walked Granada to Finisterre in Sept -Nov 2012.........it was an amazing life experience, but it is a very lonely route, especially Granada to Merida. Accommodation might have changed in the past 3 years, but this is where I stayed in the first few days..........Pinos Puente at Hotel Montserrat, very near the entry to the town........Moclin stayed in a Casa Rural La Briza, received the key etc from Bar El Califato........Alcala la Real, stayed at Hospidaria Zacatin.............Alcaudette, stayed 2 nights at Spa Rueda.........Baena stayed at Hostal Rincon. Please PM me if you want any other places I stayed in. From Granada to Merida I only stayed in one albergue, and that was in Campanario. I never ever booked accommodation in advance. At the time I walked my Camino, albergues were almost non existent on the Mozarabe. However, I was quite happy to stay in Hostals or small Hotels. I found the Spanish people to all be so friendly and helpful, especially to someone who only had about 20 Spanish words !
I wish you a wonderful Camino. Sandra
Thanks Sandra, very helpful. I'm kind of looking forward to a bit of lonely, or at least aloneness...

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back