• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Mozarabe Advice Please

Don Camillo

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 04-16
Norte/Primitivo 09-16
VdlP/ Sanabres 02/3-17
Levante 09/17,
Ruta de la Lana 09/18
Feeling the need to escape the chaos again. I have tickets and most of my planning / kit sorted out plus the Way Almeria- Merida loaded onto my phone so nearly good to go. One thing I am not certain on is access to albergues Almeria to Cordoba. From various posts I have read that there is now a key safe system in operation where the access code is obtained from the Camino Association. I had intended to visit the association in Almeria but my arrival day is on a Thursday and I read they open on a Wednesday night only. At other times Pilgrims are directed to the tourist information office which will be open for my arrival and acclimatization day. I appreciate that a phone call to the hosp. should be made before arrival at an albergue but is there another system on this camino ? Do I have to register with the tourist office ? Is there a keysafe number given out at the start or separate for each albergue ?
I have tried emailing the association but the email I had was either out of date or not working.
Any help to clarify this aspect of the Mozarabe will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
Buen Camino, Don.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
1) PDF guide to accommodations
The June-July 2019 edition is available for download on the Almeria Association website and facebook page - click the link for "Guia del Camino" on the right side of this page

In this document you will find details (phone number, address, prices, etc.) for all of the accommodations from Almeria to Cordoba and beyond (as far as Merida). The key safe system is used for municipal albergues between Almeria and Granada only. You get the codes from the Almeria Association - phone numbers are in the PDF.

2) Contact details for Almeria Association
Don't worry that the office hours state Wednesday night only. Someone from the Association will do their best to meet you in Almeria. You can find several email addresses and telephone / WhatsApp numbers on the website. Look on the left side for "correos electrónicos":

It's also possible to communicate with them through Facebook:

If you're planning to spend a night in Almeria, you can book a pilgrim room at Jorge Sagarra's place (Alojamiento Turístico Molino de Aguafresca). Jorge is a member of the Camino association. His home is close to the airport - He can usually pick up pilgrims from the airport if you tell him your flight. Details are in the guide.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I met two guys from the Almeria association on the VdP this June. They were doing some way-marking there and pointed out, that the section Almeria-Granada can be walked easily within 9 days and is perfectly equipped with albergues. They suggested to me and my spanish friends Cruz and Miguel, that this should be our next camino. Back home I studied the links mentioned by Raggy and I think they told the truth!

Walked from Granada to Merida in 2014. Had no problems finding accommodation, although not many Albergues at that time.

Thanks for that. I was wary of overloading myself with information but that 2019 guide is more comprehensive than the information I had previously downloaded which came from multiple sources. I have two days in Almeria before I start so will make a phone call when I arrive - I am flying to Alicante and getting the Alsa bus early AM .
Thanks again for your interest and help.
Don

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Hello fellow pilgrims. I will start walking the Camino Mozárabe from Almería on 5th April 2024 and just wonder whether there is anybody else there around that date with the same objective?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back