• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Mozarabe from Almeria in April

Carel5

Time of past OR future Camino
Mozarabe 2016, Francigena 2018/19, Le Puy 2022
In April I will walk from Almeria to Merida along the Camino Mozarabe. I found here the walking guide of Kevin O'Brien, and also on Internet a good looking English language description from Alcaudete to Merida, made by the Association of Cordoba who have a lot of other information on their site. It seems more difficult to find the most recent information on Granada to Alcaudete.

I don't expect many people on the way, but I am used to walking in hilly and mountainous areas in Italy, France and Romania where you don't meet a lot of other hikers.

So what can kind of weather can I expect in April? Are there many river crossings? Must I take a sleeping bag with me? (I expect to stay in a mix of hostels and albergues). How about road markings? Thank you for your answers.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hello @Carel5. Welcome to the forum. I walked the Mozárabe from Malaga in 2015. The routes from Malaga and Almeria converge in Baena. I posted to my blog each day and you can get a feel for the section from Baena to Mérida if you take a look here. I commented on accommodation, cost and my daily budget. I walked in April and was lucky with the weather. In eighteen days to Mérida I only encountered one group of three pilgrims. I think there were two river crossings - very daunting the first time, but a lot less so the next time.
image.jpeg

Thank you Magwood. Last year I followed your progress along the Mozarabe and the Via de la Plata. I will study your blog and make notes on albergues, hostels and so on. The picture shows any ways that I will need plastic sandals to cross some streams.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hello Carel5. Well. the first days out of Almeria involve quite a lot of riverbed walking. Obviously if the river is full we have a problem! This is only a wild guess based on a conversation with a local in Alquife, but he said the river is pretty full in January and February but is usually dry again in March. Also. although the marking follows the river bed you can't really go wrong if you are forced to walk along the banks. This would be the first five or six days as far as Guadix. After Guadix it's mainly tracks and roads into Granada. Best of luck and Buen Camino.

Thanks Kevin. So when I will be there the water is gone. I am in contact with the amigos in Almeria, so I hope they will warn me if there are problems with the rivers.
By the way, did you go on after Granada? Looking for information I found a lot on Almeria-Granada and Baena-Merida, but not so much on Granada-Baena except reports on poor signposting and getting lost between the olive trees.

Most read last week in this forum

I've just completed the Camino Mozarabe from Almeria. My first Camino was the Camino Frances from SJPDP in October 2021. I don't have a trip report as such. I know people who trip on mushrooms...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back