• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Mozarabe

Hakan

Time of past OR future Camino
Norte and Primitivo 2015
Hello, I´m planning to walk Camino Mozarabe from Almeria to Granada to Cordoba. It seem that very few people walks this way. I like walking alone but still it´s nice meeting some other pilgrims once in a while.
Friendly. hakan from Sweden

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello, I´m planning to walk Camino Mozarabe from Almeria to Granada to Cordoba. It seem that very few people walks this way. I like walking alone but still it´s nice meeting some other pilgrims once in a while.
Friendly. hakan from Sweden

I'm a suppressed anchorite who loves long lonely empty caminos. But I've found I also love occasionally meeting like-minded people on my solitary walks. So if I bump into you, perhaps our northern ice will melt? - I hope to leave Cabo de Gata, a day before Almería, on around October 13th.

Ok, nice to hear from you, I will start around 3 weeks before you. Do you know if it is a beautiful walk and also a difficult one, I´m rather old, 66, but I walked Llanes - Oviedo - Santiago last spring. Yours /hj

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Hakan, I walked part of the vdlp this past spring with someone who had also been on the Mozarabe, and he thought it was very beautiful. Although - as you are anticipating - he met almost no pilgrims until he arrived in Merida. When, he said, he saw more on the first day than he had for the previous few weeks.

I walked the Mozárabe last year from Malaga. In the eighteen days it took us to reach Mérida we saw only three other pilgrims, who had walked from Granada.
@mla1 was it George that you met on the VdlP? Forum member @george.g and I walked together from Malaga to Mérida. This year we met up in Santiago after our respective caminos.

Hi Magwood, No, it was someone named Mark - he is from England. I think he started walking either in late February or beginning of March (2016).

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I walked the Mozárabe last year from Malaga. In the eighteen days it took us to reach Mérida we saw only three other pilgrims, who had walked from Granada.
@mla1 was it George that you met on the VdlP? Forum member @george.g and I walked together from Malaga to Mérida. This year we met up in Santiago after our respective caminos.
Hi Magwood, My husband and I plan to walk the Mozarabe in March 2017. We hope to start from Granada. I did the Camino France in 2010 the yellow arrows were well marked. Are the yellow arrows well marked on this Camino?

Hi @Thelma, I would say that on the whole the route (from Malaga, which joins the Granada route at Baena) were excellent. It's a beautiful Camino and I equally enjoyed the VdlP, once I got used to the number of pilgrims.

You are welcome to take a look at my blog to get a feel for your forthcoming Camino. The routes converge during day 8.

Hi again, what do you think about the difference between walking from Malaga or Almeria? Is it a bigger chance to find a place to sleep if I start in Malaga? But then I would miss Sierra Nevada. But I guess there will be some nice mountains even from Malaga. Friendly /hj

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi again, what do you think about the difference between walking from Malaga or Almeria? Is it a bigger chance to find a place to sleep if I start in Malaga? But then I would miss Sierra Nevada. But I guess there will be some nice mountains even from Malaga. Friendly /hj
I don't know about accommodation on the Malaga route, but my understanding/hope is that there are albergues virtually the whole way from Almería to Granada:

14.5km: Rioja, albergue donativo (649095198)
27.5km: Alboloduy, private albergue, €12 (627484167)
28km: Abla, albergue donativo (651854129)
24km: Huéneja, albergue donativo (676670052)
21km: Alquife, albergue donativo (622798351)
22km: Guadix, private albergue €15 (633024486)
22km: La Peza, albergue donativo (608120123)
21km: Quéntar, private albergue €12 (639479631)
20km: Granada

Hi Hakan. Last spring I was 66 when I walked from Almeria to Merida in 27 days. I am reasonable fit and had no real problems with the climbs and distances. From the 9 stages between Almeria and Granada, only number 3 and 8 were long and a bit difficult. By the way, there is also an albergue in Santa Fe, 23 km from Almeria. It was the first stage but most of it was flat, and it makes the second stage (with some steep parts) a bit easier if you start in SantaFe.. Some towns also have a hostal. There is a thread from me somewhere here with my experiences.

I advise you to contact the Amigos from Almeria. Their website has a lot of information, adresses, GPS-data , and their president Mercedes is very helpful. The Camino Mozarabe is very wel signposted (also after Granada).

http://www.almeriajacobea.es/

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Magwood, My husband and I plan to walk the Mozarabe in March 2017. We hope to start from Granada. I did the Camino France in 2010 the yellow arrows were well marked. Are the yellow arrows well marked on this Camino?

The waymarking has improved a lot. I was afraid to get lost between the olives, but the most difficult part (after Moclin) has now a yellow marker at every tree or post.

Hi Hakan. Last spring I was 66 when I walked from Almeria to Merida in 27 days. I am reasonable fit and had no real problems with the climbs and distances. From the 9 stages between Almeria and Granada, only number 3 and 8 were long and a bit difficult. By the way, there is also an albergue in Santa Fe, 23 km from Almeria. It was the first stage but most of it was flat, and it makes the second stage (with some steep parts) a bit easier if you start in SantaFe.. Some towns also have a hostal. There is a thread from me somewhere here with my experiences.

I advise you to contact the Amigos from Almeria. Their website has a lot of information, adresses, GPS-data , and their president Mercedes is very helpful. The Camino Mozarabe is very wel signposted (also after Granada).

Thats good news. Did you find the way from Almeria to Granada beautiful? /hj

Thats good news. Did you find the way from Almeria to Granada beautiful? /hj
Yes. It was very beautiful from the outskirts of Almeria to the entrance of Granada. The views of the Sierra Nevada are splendid. By the way, going on after Granada is also beautiful. On the Camino Mozarabe you meet all the different landscapes of southern Spain.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thank you, one more thing, I will arrive in Malaga in the night, and then take a bus to Almeria the day after, where do you think I should buy my credential? In Malaga or Almeria? Friendly /h

Thank you, one more thing, I will arrive in Malaga in the night, and then take a bus to Almeria the day after, where do you think I should buy my credential? In Malaga or Almeria? Friendly /h

The e-mail adres of the Amigos in Almeria is: caminomozarabedealmeria@gmail.com

I contacted them by e-mail. When I arrived at the hotel, my credencial was at the reception. Mercedes also had left her phone number. We had a pleasant phone call in which she gave me some advices for on the way. On the homepage of the Amigos de Almeria are on the left several phone numbers. The Amigos also have a WhatsApp group where the members report the progress of pilgrims. So if you leave for instance Santa Fe de Mondujar, the hospitalero in Alboloduy gets a message that you are on the way. In my case about 5 km before Alboloduy a car stopped. The driver turned out to be the hospitalero. He explained me the way to the albergue and told me where I could find the key.

Here is the website:

Buon camino Hakan. I think September is an excellent time. Maybe the first two or three days will be hot but then you will be for several days between 1000 and 1400 meters altitude, so it will be cooler. By the time you arrive in Granada it is half september and the hottest season probably will be over.

Just one more thing. The Camino Mozarabe is getting more popular. The chance of meeting other pilgrims however remains low, especially in the first weeks as other pilgrims start in Granada or Malaga. But I see in other reports that the Malaga route is lonely as well.

Last edited:
Not meaning to hijack Hakan's thread, but Carel5, can you tell me the dates you walked? Amancio, who lives in Granada, has advised me that starting in Almeria as late as I would be starting (around May 11 or 12) is going to make things just too hot further on. So I am thinking I will start in Granada, but then I will miss this lovely section from Almeria to Granada, so I am in a pickle. I could possibly start in September rather than May, but I see that the temperatures now are outrageously high as well. Not sure what to do! Thanks for any insight you might have, Laurie

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Not meaning to hijack Hakan's thread, but Carel5, can you tell me the dates you walked? Amancio, who lives in Granada, has advised me that starting in Almeria as late as I would be starting (around May 11 or 12) is going to make things just too hot further on. So I am thinking I will start in Granada, but then I will miss this lovely section from Almeria to Granada, so I am in a pickle. I could possibly start in September rather than May, but I see that the temperatures now are outrageously high as well. Not sure what to do! Thanks for any insight you might have, Laurie

I started 2 April from Almeria and had no problems with the heat. Only some cold evening and mornings in the mountains.

Hi Carel5
I will think I have decided to walk from Almeria, next year probably starting around 8th April, I walked from Malaga to Merida in 2015 with Maggie, (well known on the forum, the best walking companion you could wish for)
Is there any particular info you could pass on re the Almeria - Granada - Cordoba section... river crossings, poor waymarking etc etc.
Regards
George
PS Oops just checked the calander and seen that Easter '17 falls on 16th April, that may well cause me to adjust my start date.

Hi Carel5
I will think I have decided to walk from Almeria, next year probably starting around 8th April, I walked from Malaga to Merida in 2015 with Maggie, (well known on the forum, the best walking companion you could wish for)
Is there any particular info you could pass on re the Almeria - Granada - Cordoba section... river crossings, poor waymarking etc etc.
Regards
George

Hi George,

Indeed I followed the Magwood blog. Her reports were a great inspiration before leaving the Netherlands.

The first river crossings were after Villaharta, so you know them already.

However, in the first days after Almeria some parts are through ramblas, gravel roads in the dry river bed. Sometimes they are flooded. If so, the Amigos in Almeria give warnings on their website and Facebook page, and you have to walk around them. I was there in April without any problem.

There have been some route changes since the route was created a few years ago, but it seems that this map is now up to date between Almeria and Granada.

http://www.caminomozarabedesantiago.es/

The waymarking is very good. I also had GPS tracks. Sometimes there are differences between the GPS data and the yellow arrows. In that case I followed the yellow without problems.

There are also small changes after Granada. Before Pinos Puente there is another route because of works on a new TGV railway line.

Between Pinos Puente and Olivares are two routes. I followed the one without river crossing. It was changed in the last miles before Olivares, but with good waymarking. All in all, the waymarking between Granada and Baena (where you join the Malaga Camino) was much better than I expected.

The only place with really poor waymarking was between Medellin and San Pedro de Merida where the yellows suddenly stopped a few miles after Yelbes. With help from local people in the fields we found a river crossing that was not in my GPS. I think Maggie and you did the same crossing.

After all the stages between Almeria and Granada there are now albergues. Between Granada and Merida I had a mix of albergues and hostals.

So I wish you buen camino, George

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Carel5
Thanks for the info, I'll look at the various websites and make notes etc, I enjoy the planning phase of my camino's.
Re the Medellin - Merida section we went directly through the fields to San Pedro and then on to Merida in one day, and it was one of the few days we saw other walkers.
I remember we had to wade a couple of rivers between Malaga and Merida, we were lucky to find the water levels quite low as I think these crossings could be potentially dangerous.
Only problem now is to work out what to do after Merida as I'm not sure I want to go up the VdelP again so soon!
Thanks again.
Regards.
George.

Hi George,

The waymarking is very good. I also had GPS tracks. Sometimes there are differences between the GPS data and the yellow arrows. In that case I followed the yellow without problems.

So I wish you buen camino, George

Hi, Carel5, this is great information. Many thanks. I have somewhat reluctantly (and very ineptly) started carrying a GPS for the remote caminos I walk. I have been looking for GPS tracks from Almeria - Granada-Caceres and have been unable to find a stage by stage set of them (I.e., broken down into fewer than 500 points per stage so the GPS can handle it). Can you share the source of your tracks?

Buen camino Laurie

Only problem now is to work out what to do after Merida as I'm not sure I want to go up the VdelP again so soon!
Hi, George,

Maybe take this route:
http://www.hoy.es/20081116/sociedad/renace-antigua-estrela-20081116.html
There has been recent thread on this, I think 2-3 days ago.

Or walk/bus up to Salamanca and take Camino Torres. I think subforum for this Camino was created recently. Otherwise take a look at official site:
http://caminosantiago.usal.es/torres/
I have bookmarks for a few more sites and blogs if you'd be interested.

Happy planning and Ultreia!

I was reading a thread this morning about the Camino Torres and thinking that it looks very interesting.

Hi Maggie, seems we may be thinking along the same lines????
Best regards
George

Hi Maggie, seems we may be thinking along the same lines????
Best regards
George
The two of you again??? :);):D

Well, can't wait for the Maggie's blog as this Camino is at the very top of my wish list. And also is for @peregrina2000 if I remember correctly (after Mozarabe) for 2017. Who knows maybe we see each other en-route :)

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi, Carel5, this is great information. Many thanks. I have somewhat reluctantly (and very ineptly) started carrying a GPS for the remote caminos I walk. I have been looking for GPS tracks from Almeria - Granada-Caceres and have been unable to find a stage by stage set of them (I.e., broken down into fewer than 500 points per stage so the GPS can handle it). Can you share the source of your tracks?

Buen camino Laurie

Hi Laurie

Here is a link for Almeria - Granada.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6y5pMfqcK4RUTJGNFl2WXpyeEU/view

If you contact the Almeria amigos, they will send you the latest version.

Here are their resources on Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1487666154855627/files/

If you are on Facebook, it is well worth to join their group.

The stages between Granada and Merida I took from the Peter Robins website where they now have been removed.

Here is a link to some maps formerly on the site. I don't know if it is possible to make GPX tracks from this.

https://pilgrimdb.github.io/granada.html

Buen camino.

Thanks so much for that information. I think that the Mozarabe from Almeria is going into my "Camino 2018" folder. I can't start in 2017 till May 10, and I appreciate all the advice about temperatures and starting dates. ONe option was to start in Granada on May 10, but then I'd miss out on Almeria to Granada. So my new goal is that in 2018 I will have the decks cleared and will be able to start in early April. Anyone else thinking that far ahead? :)

Now I just have to figure out my 2017 Camino, but I am thinking it will be in the north - as the Spaniards say, para variar. Buen camino, Laurie

Hello again, hakan here. Now it´s almost time to go, I´m flying from Stockholm to Malaga Saturday evening. It seems I lost contact with the people in Almeria that would help me getting the Credential. Does anyone know if it´s possible to get one in the Cathedral in Almeria? Or Malaga? Or in un Alberge in Almeria/Malaga? Friendly /h

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello again, hakan here. Now it´s almost time to go, I´m flying from Stockholm to Malaga Saturday evening. It seems I lost contact with the people in Almeria that would help me getting the Credential. Does anyone know if it´s possible to get one in the Cathedral in Almeria? Or Malaga? Or in un Alberge in Almeria/Malaga? Friendly /h

Hi Hakan. I think that everything with your credential will be arranged when you start walking. Just tell the man or woman in charge of the albergue that you tried to get one from Mercedes.

More info for Hakan (and others)

There seems to be an information point in Gador, on the first stage from Almeria. Here is all the contact data from the Amigos website.

INFORMACIÓN CONTACTO correos electrónicos :
caminomozarabedealmeria@gmail.com
accimozarabe@gmail.com

o en los telefonos y whatsapp :
651854129/628181326/ 649 806150 (tardes) : Almeria y provincia
615952763 : Guadix y provincia de Granada

Punto de información al peregrino y Credenciales en Almería
:
Oficina municipal de turismo del Ayuntamiento de Almería. Plaza Vieja s/n. 9:00-15:00 de lunes a domingo.
miércoles de 18.00 a 20.00 h por la asociación desde el 21 de septiembre en c/ Alcalde Muñoz 12 (turismo Ayto de Almería, junto a cáritas)

Punto de atención al Peregrino y credenciales Guadix : Liceo Accitano . PREVIA CITA 615952763

Punto de atención Gador : TODOS los dias ( MAÑANA Y TARDE) . Club Caminates Gador : 651854129

Fuera de ese horario o cualquier consultar en la información de contacto

caminomozarabedealmeria@gmail.com
almeriajacobea@gmail.com

The amigos office in Malaga is only open for a couple of hours each week on a Tuesday evening. It is possible you can get a credencial in the church of Santiago in the city, but I do not know for sure.

Thanks so much for that information. I think that the Mozarabe from Almeria is going into my "Camino 2018" folder. I can't start in 2017 till May 10, and I appreciate all the advice about temperatures and starting dates. ONe option was to start in Granada on May 10, but then I'd miss out on Almeria to Granada. So my new goal is that in 2018 I will have the decks cleared and will be able to start in early April. Anyone else thinking that far ahead? :)

Now I just have to figure out my 2017 Camino, but I am thinking it will be in the north - as the Spaniards say, para variar. Buen camino, Laurie
Hi, I'm looking at Mozarabe from Almeria in April 18. If body and soul are still together at that stage i would be keen to walk it. Tom

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi, I´m afraid I have to say that it was to hot for me, had to give it up. And also to lonely, didn't meet a living soul on my first 4 days, alone on the camino, in Alberge, in restaurant and so on. Did a mistake choosing this way. But the support from the Amigos de Almeria, Veronica and Mercedes was wonderful, so nice, warm and helpful women. All the best for them. /hj

Hi, I´m afraid I have to say that it was to hot for me, had to give it up. And also to lonely, didn't meet a living soul on my first 4 days, alone on the camino, in Alberge, in restaurant and so on. Did a mistake choosing this way. But the support from the Amigos de Almeria, Veronica and Mercedes was wonderful, so nice, warm and helpful women. All the best for them. /hj
So sad to hear that you were beaten by the heat and the loneliness. The Mozarabe is indeed a lonely affair. It took me two weeks to meet a bicigrino. I heard that one man started a day before me but he went faster than me. Only after 24 days I met other walkers in the albergue. The next day there were eight of us suddenly. I was happy to stay in two albergues run by fellow Dutchmen, in Alquife and Cerro Muriano. I hope things will improve in coming years as the Mozarabe is a fantastic camino.

Thanks Care15 for your notes on the Almeria to Granada section I've just completed. It's a great Camino. One I can't recommend highly enough.
The information, electronic and hard copy, provided by the Amigos de Almeria is excellent. Kevin O'Brien's notes are also very helpful and interesting.
Starting on the day I did was a stroke of luck. That day I met two Spanish guys. We stayed in the same accommodation and over the subsequent days I gradually started walking more and more with them. And it really made my trip. A week earlier I'd walked the 7 stages from Malaga to Cabra totally alone every night. Last year I walked one section of the Camino Levante and again, no-one. Earlier this year I walked between Toledo and Avila, crossed paths one night with a guy walking a GR that crossed the Levante. After too many solitary nights with many empty beds beside and above me I was so lucky with their company. The two guys spoke only Spanish - good practice for me, they left early as I like to, we walked at the same pace, etc. Their presence made a really good Camino even better for me.
If you've done some walking before, I can't recommend Almería to Granada enough.

Hi Thelma
Think about the Almería to Granada option as well. One advantage is the work Almería Amigos have done, no legs longer than 27km (versus one 40km leg Malaga to Córdoba), good accommodation options etc. Yes, I've recently walked Malaga to Cabra and a week later, Almería to Granada. For me the latter was more interesting. (See my blog: valjrob.com) and it was not just that I had great company for the latter Camino. It helped, indubitably, but it was more than that. At present I'm thinking of walking Granada to Córdoba in April 17, early fantasies.... whichever you choose, enjoy. Val

Hi Thelma
Think about the Almería to Granada option as well. One advantage is the work Almería Amigos have done, no legs longer than 27km (versus one 40km leg Malaga to Córdoba), good accommodation options etc. Yes, I've recently walked Malaga to Cabra and a week later, Almería to Granada. For me the latter was more interesting. (See my blog: valjrob.com) and it was not just that I had great company for the latter Camino. It helped, indubitably, but it was more than that. At present I'm thinking of walking Granada to Córdoba in April 17, early fantasies.... whichever you choose, enjoy. Val
Hi, Val,
A bit off-topic but I have to say that I loved your blog. And the pics are fantastic!!!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks @Jac8020, most enjoyable and interesting blog.

Hi Thelma
Hi Thelma we walked this last year in June - it was a great walk but hot as, even for us West Australians. Fairly solitary route, we saw no other peregrinos. Some of it is quite tough but very rewarding. Below is the link to a short video we made of the walk - it was very hot 46 c when we reached Cordoba. Some Spanish language facility would help and there are few fairly tough ascents and descents.

Hi Thelma we walked this last year in June - it was a great walk but hot as, even for us West Australians. Fairly solitary route, we saw no other peregrinos. Some of it is quite tough but very rewarding. Below is the link to a short video we made of the walk - it was very hot 46 c when we reached Cordoba. Some Spanish language facility would help and there are few fairly tough ascents and descents.

Dougyharry:

Also thinking of walking this route in 2018. I was wondering.

How well marked is the route?

How long did it take you to walk?

Joe

P.S. nice video

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Nice video Doughyharry.

The first footage I have seen of the spectacular climb out of the Nacimiento valley after Alboloduy.

The video also gives a good overview of the landscapes on this Camino.

To Joe I can say: the route is very well marked. It is nine days from Almeria to Granada.

And to all: avoid the summer heat like in all Southern Spain Caminos.

Dougyharry:

Also thinking of walking this route in 2018. I was wondering.

How well marked is the route?

How long did it take you to walk?

Joe

P.S. nice video
Joe took us about 20 days all up with a couple of nights in Granada and Quentar ( recovering as that day was hot and hard). Most of way is well marked but there is one section where we went off track because we followed some blue fletchas. Cost us half a day. Will check where that was and let you know

Joe took us about 20 days all up with a couple of nights in Granada and Quentar ( recovering as that day was hot and hard). Most of way is well marked but there is one section where we went off track because we followed some blue fletchas. Cost us half a day. Will check where that was and let you know

Thanks, I appreciate your response.

Nice video Doughyharry.

The first footage I have seen of the spectacular climb out of the Nacimiento valley after Alboloduy.

The video also gives a good overview of the landscapes on this Camino.

To Joe I can say: the route is very well marked. It is nine days from Almeria to Granada.

And to all: avoid the summer heat like in all Southern Spain Caminos.

Carel5:

Thank you. My plan would be to start late March or early April.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello fellow pilgrims. I will start walking the Camino Mozárabe from Almería on 5th April 2024 and just wonder whether there is anybody else there around that date with the same objective?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back