• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Mozarabe from Malaga

Lois Lane

Time of past OR future Camino
SJPP-Santiago September 23, "2014"; Camino Portugues from Porto 2015; Hospitalera in Najera 2018
Hello, I am thinking of starting the Camino Mozarabe from Malaga this February. It’s a pretty busy city. Where would the best place to start the Camino be? I will be arriving from the bus stop.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The Cathedral is usually the logical starting point on any route that passes through a city.

That’s true, but I read that it wasn’t clearly marked from the cathedral.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Here's a link to a Wikilok track (one of many available) for day 1 of the Mozárabe that will lead you on the track from the Cathedral. If you put the app on your phone, you can follow the blue dot that shows where you are as it moves along the orange line taking you out of the city.

Last edited:
You should start from the church of Santiago. Málaga is a fabulous city and if you have time give yourself an extra day or two to discover its gems. I walked from Málaga (in fact I walked from my then-time home 60 km away) in 2015. Some things may have changed since then but you are welcome to take a look at my blog and/or watch the video I made to give you an idea of what to expect. I have walked many camino routes and this remains one of my favourites.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Maggie, depending on this lady’s time constraints, it could be an idea to take a taxi to Restaurant Jose Carlos in Junta de los Caminos and walk from there, I seem to remember there’s an yellow arrow on the telegraph pole opposite.
Best regards
George
PS, it’s the VdlP for me this year, starting 17/4 from Seville.

Last edited:
Hi Maggie, depending on this lady’s time constraints, it could be an idea to take a taxi to Restaurant Jose Carlos in Junta de los Caminos and walk from there, I seem to remember there’s an yellow arrow on the telegraph pole opposite.
Best regards
George
[/QUOTE

Thanks everyone for your input 🙂

@Lois Lane , and now for the battle of the mapping systems.

The first image is from Windy Maps (@ivar referred to this app a few months ago. And yes the route from Malaga is mapped to start about 100 metres before the Cathedral. WIndy Maps can be downloaded before you leave home and does not need a data plan to work when away from free WiFi.
Here the Camino Mozarabe desde Malaga is marked in blue.
I zoomed in to get this detail.
Screenshot_20200206-050644_Windy Maps.jpg

The second image is from hiking.WayMarkedTrails.org. This is something you use in an internet browser and does need a data plan when away from free WiFi. Malaga is bottom left. Select "routes? and then "Camino Mozárabe desde Malaga"
I did this to pick out that section in yellow.
I zoomed out to get this big picture.
Screenshot_20200206-052703_Samsung Internet.jpg

Whatever you choose, kia kaha (take care, be strong, get going)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Or you could simply use google maps on your phone, you could put junta de los caminos as a destination and plaza de constitution as a start point, the walking route goes :- calle marmoles, ave de lope de vega, ave lope de rueda road number A7075 to Junta de los caminos, in this instance the google route and the camino are more or less the same. its not a difficult route. Or for a phoneless old school approach print a paper map.
Regards
George

We were in Malaga last week on a conventional holiday but we couldn't resist walking the first few kilometers out of town starting from the Santiago church.
There is a free online guide at
www.caminomozarabedesantiago.es/documentos/guia-eng.pdf

I'll readily admit those kms out of town are not the most inspiring

It is a good guide. I used it myself last year. There is a different one in Spanish which might also be of some interest: http://www.malaga.es/base/descargas/279682/descargar

I also found these accommodation links very useful when walking from Malaga to Merida last winter: https://caminosantiagoandalucia.org/atencion-al-peregrino-albergues-alojamientos-camino-mozarabe-de-malaga/
http://caminomozarabe.es/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/RELACIÓN-ALOJAMIENTOS-PEREGRINOS-CORDOBA-MERIDA-a-12-octubre-2018.pdf

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I am just now on the Camino Mozarabe from Malaga. I got the pilgrim passport in Malaga from the book store of the cathedral ( Libreria Diocesana). I went by bus to Junta de los Caminos and started from there. Be aware that the rain storms have badly damaged the way between Junta de los Caminos and Almogia. And obviously some of the markings have disappeared. I had loaded the route to maps.me an wikiloc (the route information of inakipilgrim). They were very important in some places to check where the route should go. There was some damage also on the way between Almogia and Villaneuva de la Conception. The markings were in general good, the problems were in the damaged places. But I always found a way to get over the damaged places. The weather has been great and I have enjoyed the walking very much.

Best regards
George
That arrow on the post is precisely the first one I saw when I started my camino one month ago! If you take a taxi, you can even go a bit further to the bridge over river Campanillas, will save you a couple of km of tarmac/wadi with rubble

Or you could simply use google maps on your phone

It ain't necessarily so.

I have noticed that walking paths and routes in Google Maps are observed in their absence in many locations in the places I am interested in. May be OK if you focus on roads.

And the phone would need a data plan when away from WiFi.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
“In this instance”

Most read last week in this forum

We have now completed the Camino Mozarabe, walking from Almeria to Merida. Gerard and I documented our walk, in English and Dutch, in our Find Penguins blog, which you can access here...
Our suggestions for updates to the Mozerabe Guide 1.Ocaña: We had some trouble finding the albergue. Keep following the Camino route and look for the blue albergue marker beside the church. The...
The Almería Association has just published a book compiling the comments of female pilgrims from all over. The presentation of the book was last week in the Museo de las Peregrinaciones in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back