• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino mural in Manhattan — with a side trip to the Hispanic Society

peregrina2000

Staff member
I just saw that a gallega artist who lives in Manhattan has almost finished her Camino mural. It’s not huge, but it is located on a wall in prime real estate of Manhattan. She got funding from the Spanish Consulate and the Xunta.

According to the artist, it displays an imaginary path through the stars from New York to Santiago.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I just saw that a gallega artist who lives in Manhattan has almost finished her Camino mural. It’s not huge, but it is located on a wall in prime real estate of Manhattan. She got funding from the Spanish Consulate and the Xunta.

According to the artist, it displays an imaginary path through the stars from New York to Santiago.
Laurie,
That imaginary path through the stars is such a great idea.
A special stop further uptown at W. 155th St to visit the Spanish views at the Hispanic Society might have been appropriate before going through those distant stars to Santiago.
Thanks for posting this!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
A special stop further uptown at W. 155th St to visit the Spanish views at the Hispanic Society

The last two times I have been in NYC, the Hispanic Society was closed. I just checked their website and they are still closed but have announced a January 2023 reopening.

The Sorolla collection is totally amazing, but I haven’t seen it in many years. It is kind of mind-boggling that the Hispanic Society gets about 20,000 visitors a year. When they closed for their renovation, they sent a bunch of the Sorolla paintings to the Prado, which gets more than 2,000,000 visitors a year. No doubt those Sorollal paintings were enjoyed by many more people than will ever enjoy them in New Yorkl.

The last two times I have been in NYC, the Hispanic Socierty was closed. I just checked their website and they are still closed but have announced a January 2023 reopening.

The Sorolla collection is totally amazing, but I haven’t seen it in many years. It is kind of mind-boggling that the Hispanic Society gets about 20,000 visitors a year. When they closed for their renovation, they sent a bunch of the Sorolla paintings to the Prado, which gets more than 2,000,000 visitors a year. No doubt those Sorollal paintings were enjoyed by many more people than will ever enjoy them in New Yorkl.
I always enjoyed going there when in grad school. In fact when JFK was shot I was reading in their library and suddenly all the bells in NYC began to toll; the city then shut down.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
There’s an exhibition of (a 100 or so) items from the Hispanic Society at the Royal Academy in London for anyone who can get there. I spent an hour looking at the three pieces of Bell Beaker pottery and the silverware from Tiermes.
The 19th & 20th century paintings aren’t my bag but were drawing a crowd

Three items from that exhibition. I liked the Goya too "Are there Fleas?". Very pilgrim....
View attachment 143965View attachment 143963View attachment 143964
Wow, thanks. I haven’t been to the Hispanic Society in decades. My focus always was on Sorolla’s portraits of regional Spain. But there is apparently so much more, so I’ll just have to get back there. I had no idea what “Bell Beaker” referred to, so thanks for giving me something to look up! 4,500 years old is prettty old. And those spoons, from Tiermes, wow.

Prior to closing for renovations, the museum got about 20,000 visitors annually. Contrast that with the 3.5 million to the Prado. In fact, when they had their Hispanic Society exhibit in the Prado a few years ago, more people saw the collection in a week or so than the yearly visitors in the US! A huge part of the impetus for the renovation has been to get this place on the radar screen of the people living in and visiting New York.

It has been closed for 6 years for extensive renovations ($20 million), and @El Cascayal says re-opening is coming soon. But that’s only for the main building, and that still leaves a lot of renovations to do, to the tune of 4 more years and $50 million). Sounds like it will be years before the whole collection is open to the putlic. Would love to hear from any forum members who get there to see the new place. My guess is that the exhibit Tinca visited is not going to be accessible in the US for a few more years, but it looks like it will be worth the wait.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am currently working as a Hospitalaro in a newly reopened Donativo Albergue in Vergen del Camino, just a short distance from Leon. It was closed for 5 years due to, initially the pandemic. It is...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back