• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Negatives

vicrev

Hi All.....We read mostly about the positive aspects of the Camino(written by wonderful,helpful,positive people!!).....What are the negatives that people have come across that we dont hear about ? Your experiences may help others avoid the pitfalls.........Cheers Vicr

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi there, Vicrev.

You might like to type in 'bad experiences' or something like that into check if your question has been asked before.

For some of us the simple act of getting up each day and walking out the front door takes courage. I find that focusing on negative reports, listening to horror stories, watching and reading or speaking about violence of any kind etc etc feeds the fear within. The mind is a complex machine. Whether it is fiction or fact, my emotions don't seem to know the difference. Fear is Fear regardless. I actively pursue the Positive in order to live peacefully and find forgetfulness. If I had dwelt on negatives I could never have walked around the block let alone hiked vast distances across the planet.

With kind regard,
Lovingkindness

'....whatever things are true, whatever things are noble...just..pure...lovely...whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy -meditate on these things.....and the God of peace will be with you -Paul, Philippians 4: 8-9

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Having to leave it! :cry:

What are the negatives that people have come across
I think the two most repeated negatives are blisters and bed bugs. Bed bugs are not the norm, but some pilgrims have reactions that are severe. The fear of bed bugs is worse than the bugs themselves.

Also frequently mentioned are the bed race, tendonitis, and weather, mostly rain.

Almost everything else is psychological. A lot of negatives exist exclusively in one's mind (I think the bed race is mostly in the mind). They are subjective, so vary between individuals. When it rains and gets muddy, everyone experiences it. When someone is afraid of dogs, no one else is concerned. The objectively real and the subjectively imaginary are quite different, but they can be equally powerful. No one experiences grief when someone dies. They experience grief when they learn of the death, sometimes years later. The state of the world is the same before and after the knowledge is acquired, but the state of the mind is quite different.

Because Forum members are enthusiastic, it may not get repeated often enough: a camino is hard. Moving your feet six to ten hours a day for days on end is not what you see in "The Way." The mental challenges may be greater than the physical challenges, but the physical challenges are generally the trigger for the mental challenges. Few have not thought "I cannot take one step more." Then you find that you CAN take one step more. You end up feeling pretty good about that, which is why comments focus on the positive rather than the negative. The negative often is very transient. A glass of wine, and the negatives can be all gone!!

My poles had rubber tips...
And truly sorry if it upset anyone, but singing "Supercallifragilisticexpiallidocious " was the only way me and my dear friend could make it down the horrible steep path to Trabadelo !

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Negatives? What negatives? An interesting question and i wonder why it is that "Pilgrims only tend to speak about the "Positives" Well i guess the only way to really find out is to go and experience "The Camino " for yourself. Live yourself into the answer so to speak...
Buen Camino :arrow:

Vicrev:

So you are in search of the half empty glass.

Everything that Falcon mentioned is true but these perceived negatives can be mitigated. Blisters can be prevented by having good shoes/boots and taking care of your feet. The chance of getting tendinitis can be reduced by starting slowly and working your body into Camino shape. Bed bugs, I spray my sleeping bag and back pack with Permethian (sp) and check my bed. I have never seen a bed bug and only one person bitten by one. That said, they are out there so take precautions. The bed race. Walk during the less crowded time of the year. I walk in the Spring and never had a problem. If work or schedule preclude this walk to the more obscure stops, not the regular stops mentioned in the guide books. Weather, there is nothing you can do here except be prepared. You will probably have to slog through mud one day or walk down a slippery incline. Take your time and all will be well. Have good rain gear.

The Camino is not easy but is very doable. As it has been mentioned, you will be walking a half marathon a day for a month. Your body will adjust to this.

Start slow, pack light and let the Camino take care of the rest. Keep in mind that those back home, many who think you are crazy, are going to work. They will be dealing with all the daily disruptions that you will be free from for a month. You on the other hand might be making new friends, learning something about a different culture, eating new foods, seeing historical sites etc. All that plus you will learn something about yourself.

Ultreya,
Joe

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
We walked Camino from Pamplona to Santiago last fall and ran into three big negatives.

1. A general lack of sanitation. If you go to almost any mens' room outside of an albergue you can have running water, a toilet seat, toilet paper, soap, paper towels . . . choose one.

2. You will get sick. Albergue life seems specifically designed to spread whatever illness is going around. Last fall it was a stomach virus. Almost everyone came down with it.

3. Feces - people defecate everywhere including right on the path. (See point one). This may be worse in late summer / early fall when large groups have just gone by. In some of the farming communities in Galacia they have installed fieldstone or pavers in the road. The local farmers still drive their livestock over these roads. Mix in a little rain and you are walking in ankle deep manure. This can be especially troubling if you are just getting over the stomach virus. We opted to abandon the path and walk along the highway for three days to give our senses a break.

Please keep in mind I am answering the question about the negatives of Camino. We loved it in spite of these negatives.

vicrev said:
What are the negatives that people have come across that we dont hear about ?
I for one feel that the negative part of the Camino is, that it is too far from Costa Rica. :mrgreen:

Camino negatives never they are challenges that make the journey exhilarating :) and something wake up to each morning. The Camino is not perfect because we as a people are not perfect, yet the Camino is worth doing :p
Chao,
n+

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Dear oh Dear.....I thought the question I asked was quite valid.I didnt expect some of the replies to have an adverse effect !!!....Please note.Negativity and Negative happenings are two different things ! As for the comment I'm searching for the half empty glass,my glass is always chock full ,in all ways! Thanks to the people who have replied POSITIVELY to the question....Vicr

As someone who is physically not well, tiredness is a negative.

It comes upon me quickly and it leads to bad decision making. I won't bore you with the details but it happens too often for my liking.

These days I usually walk for 14-17 days and I need a full week to recover. As I have to go back to work straight from the Camino this is a problem.

The final negative is that I have walked through every type of weather except falling snow. This time last year I was in Mortinos in beautiful sunshine. Rebekkah has just posted on FB the most wonderful snow scene. (She, of course, lives there). If I could jump on a plane today by the time I arrived it would have vanished.

The weather NEVER does what you want or need it to do! LOL. :evil:

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
My husband walked from Sarria to Santiago with me in 2007.
He said that he could never do longer than 7 days. I told him that was because the first 7 days are the most difficult and if you had to do those 7 days over and over again - like a Groundhog Day - nobody would walk longer than 1 week!

Getting used to the pack, the boots, different food, water, language; walking every day in the cold, wind, rain, sun, on mud, gravel,stone or the road; sleeping with strangers, not getting a full night's peaceful sleep, eating the same old pilgrim menus every day. Boredom - arriving too early at an albergue in a tiny place and having nothing to do for the rest of the day - then having to go to bed early when you are not tired. These were some the negatives he mentioned.

But, for me, these are overcome in the first week and by the second week you are accustomed to the clothing, boots, pack, routine, food, sleeping arrangements etc.
By the third week you get into the zone and by the fourth week you are a pilgrim-Zombie - walking in the Zen zone without a care in the world!

Perhaps the negative is not walking for long enough??

I think Sil's husband has it right, all of those negatives reced as the days go by. It is a "zen" thing for me. If I plan to go again as AJ says another negative "the addiction" (reading forums could be added here) I'd like to go for longer, 30 days + so plenty of choice out there. Have no trail shoes at the moment as the last pair were worn out so need to get a new pair. Sore feet, losing toe nails, trying to adjust to life "after" the camino...

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
On each subsequent Camino, one falls into the 'Zen-zone' much quicker.
For me, I start getting into Camino mode long before I get there and once I'm there I just slot back into it, following my own footsteps!

I had an awful experience with the Hospitalario at Granon in 2011 and my son stayed in 2012 and had a similar experience. In general he was unkind, to the point of meaness and very ill tempered. He pounced on pilgrims if they so much as looked like going near the kitchen at a minute to 7 when the RULE was, nobody in the kitchen till 7 am. What is wrong with this guy. I have looked everywhere on the forums and cannot find a negative comments about this issue. Am I living in a parallel universe or are there other pilgrims out there who have experienced the mad guy at Granon? This albergue used to be my all time fave, but never again will I stay there. Alagria :(

Hospitaleros serve for about 15 days at a time and then new ones take over. Perhaps by some universal fluke, you both stayed there when your hospitalero from hell was on duty!
Granon has one of the most consistent 'best albergue' rankings with pilgrims and hospitaleros from all over the world so please don't tarnish the reputation of the albergue, rather find out who the hospitalero was and report him to HOSVOL (Hospitaleros Voluntarios) who place volunteers there.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
falcon269 said:
If the rule was to stay out of the kitchen until 7 p.m., why would a pilgrim go into it earlier?

it was 7am not 7pm that was stated, 7am is reasonable especially if the kitchen is near the dorms, I would be tempted to go into the kitchen earlier than 7pm which is not a reasonable time.

alagria said:
I had an awful experience with the Hospitalario at Granon in 2011 and my son stayed in 2012 and had a similar experience. In general he was unkind, to the point of meaness and very ill tempered. He pounced on pilgrims if they so much as looked like going near the kitchen at a minute to 7 when the RULE was, nobody in the kitchen till 7 am. What is wrong with this guy. I have looked everywhere on the forums and cannot find a negative comments about this issue. Am I living in a parallel universe or are there other pilgrims out there who have experienced the mad guy at Granon? This albergue used to be my all time fave, but never again will I stay there. Alagria :(

I was there in 2011 and the rule was the same; breakfast at 7AM and no one leaves before that. It's reasonable condidering the people in the loft can hear everything as there is no wall. Although this rule is clearly stated to every pilgrim, some choose to disregard it as did one of the pilgrims who woke up at 4:30, went down to the bathroom, got back up to the loft, loudly packed his back for 20 minutes and then was met with a locked door. He finally left at 6:30 when the hospitalero got up. Please remember that the hopstalero is the last one to bed and the first one up; they also need to sleep.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
CaminoGen said:
was met with a locked door.

I believe that a deadlocked door would contravene fire regulations for an establishment providing accommodation to the public?

Lovingkindness, thanks for the scriptural reminder about focusing on the positive. I really found it moving. Unless we are in total denial and living in la-la land we will still be faced with negatives but meditating on the positive will often give us more strength to handle the negative. Mindfulness research is teaching us that if we meditate on the positive in an embodied way there is strengthening of neurological pathways and it is then easier to return to that positive state.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
You're welcome, Yodapsy. As jpflavin1 says 'perceived negatives can be mitigated'. If something is causing me discomfort physically or emotionally then taking time out to problem-solve seems to fix it. There's often a practical solution ....out there/in there somewhere...
:)

I am not sure that simply not getting your way is a negative! It may just be a lesson that life is not "fair." You may want a woodsy path, but the camino has delivered pavement through an industrial park. It is pretty self-absorbed to think that the universe has singled you out for mistreatment! It really does not rise to the level of running out of charge in your iPod.

A locked door in case of fire; THAT is a negative for sure, and I would find a translator to help me register a vigorous complaint.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Most places lock from the inside so that people from the outside can't get in. That doesn't mean that you can't get out!

Camino "negatives" - stroppy hospitaleros who don't appreciate that this is your holiday of a life time, Spanish peasants who don't clear up the litter from the paths frequently enough, ludicrous bus timetables so you have to get up really early to get to the next Albergue, and oh the food - all Spanish and oh so traditional... Haven't they seen "Masterchef".

Sitting in cold wet England, surfing the Forum, working, working, working for the money to do it all again. Still unsure that I've caught the tone of the OP; what are the negatives of the Camino? The beloved might suggest that that an unfulfilled dream on fulfilment turned into an ongoing obsession that she has now been caught up in. She is in preparation for her second Camino. But I don't think that she would, necessarily, call that a negative. There are many posts across this forum that refer to the addictive/obsessive nature of the Camino, few seem to regard it as a negative effect.

I search my memories and my soul for a negative impact. I can't in all honesty find one.

Positive Caminos to all...

AJ said:
It is highly addictive for some people.

I would say I'm in this bracket. Always carry my guidebook around with me and my French workbook in my bag. Not due to start from Le Puy for another 4-5 months! The Camino is great inspiration for me.

Negatives? Not talking to other walkers and local people. Be open, say hello and smile a lot!!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
In the Province of Palencia, we are working out one of the worst negatives. Not enough music ! We begin our 4th year of free concerts for pilgrims and the good people of Palencia. Feel free to stop by in Fromista, Villacazar de Sirga, or Carrion de los Condes for evening concerts Sunday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday. Look for the signs which are placed in the villages where pilgrims can see them.

Some of the most important music historically speaking was written along the Camino and in past years, you could walk the entire length without even knowing it. We are looking for help to build a music museum, so if any volunteers out there have some talent to share... we would appreciate your help.

Federico Sheppard
Association CaminoArtes
Carrion de los Condes

Frederico you post should be in a new thread marked "Free Concert Music for Pilgrims." Buried here it will be overlooked.

I only saw it because I have been away a few days and have been trawling the posts I've missed.

freddymerckx said:
In the Province of Palencia, we are working out one of the worst negatives. Not enough music ! We begin our 4th year of free concerts for pilgrims and the good people of Palencia. Feel free to stop by in Fromista, Villacazar de Sirga, or Carrion de los Condes for evening concerts Sunday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday. Look for the signs which are placed in the villages where pilgrims can see them.
Hi Freddy! Give some approximate dates. Listening to the guitar on the Meseta could be magical for passing pilgrims. Buen Camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Regarding locked doors, believe me, there ARE a couple!
And yes, I worried about fire and planned my escape just in case.
In fact, I remember being horrified.
I"m wracking my brain trying to remember where those two places were. It was on my first Camino and I never stayed there again. I'll ask Joe, he'll remember, and post it.

As far as negatives on the Camino, honestly, the only negative I can think of is WOMEN leaving their nasty toilet paper along the route. I wish I had an army of elves that would pick the stuff up and chase after them.

I usually carry a hankerchief for these emergencies and just wash it out with the rest of my laundry at the end of the day. But man, following the white TP to Santiago is a big pet peeve.

Yes, toilet paper is a negative. When Reb and I go litter picking we can remove the bottles, cans, and cigarette packets etc. but we don't touch toilet stuff. We don't have the equipment to do it safely. I'm not excusing the general littering, but be aware that generally what you leave will be left for as long as it takes to degrade. Buen Camino!

Anniesantiago said:
As far as negatives on the Camino, honestly, the only negative I can think of is WOMEN leaving their nasty toilet paper along the route. I wish I had an army of elves that would pick the stuff up and chase after them.

If it was only toilet paper, that would be bad enough :( but used sanitary items, yuk, really horrid.
Also random knickers, thongs, socks, trousers...
Was really upset seeing all the plastic containers from a farm selling raspberries, that had just been scattered along the path. :roll: sad.

Sounds like you don't need a map,just follow the rubbish trail ! All it needs is some golden arches & starbucks to compliment the situation !! :)

The Camino passes the Golden Arch in León and after getting there I found it a refreshing change to the usual pilgrim fare! :roll:

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hard to find the arches in France ,If you do,you would have to be to be pretty desperate, I'd sooner eat road kill !!!! :lol: ......Vicr

Ah, the tissue issue. I found the Marigold (intentional plug, sponsorship welcome) solution fairly effective though one is always left with the what to do with the Marigold [tm] at the end of the day question. Shaking hands with littering pilgs is satisfying.

Did once get advised by a passing Dane that if I picked up all the litter he'd have to buy a guidebook. But never found it all that much of a negative - I had promised to pick up litter and behold, there was lots of litter for me to pick.

Tyrrek, I think you and Reb do good stuff around her stamping grounds and I trust your wounds have healed :wink: the Meseta would be even more beautiful if people would stop equating open space with open dump.

The beloved and I hope to be tidying the Ingles some time soon.

Buen Camino

freddymerckx said:

Some of the most important music historically speaking was written along the Camino and in past years, you could walk the entire length without even knowing it. We are looking for help to build a music museum, so if any volunteers out there have some talent to share... we would appreciate your help.

Federico Sheppard
Association CaminoArtes
Carrion de los Condes

Hi Federico,
I will be in Fromista on Wednesday 22nd May, with my other 5 othe travel companions from Australia. We will be at the Hotel San Martin. Is there a concert on that night in Fromista? we'd love to come along. Is it indoors or in the town square? As was mentioned, you should probably have a separate post as many of us would want to know about this & I just found it by accident too.

Enrica

Hard to find the arches in France ,If you do,you would have to be to be pretty desperate, I'd sooner eat road kill !!!! ......Vicr

Used one in Paris France just to see if it was different from the UK. Nope. Ditto León and Braga Portugal.

I rarely eat there - their food is not good for diabetics IMHO - but I put the above 3 down to Market Research. People here are interested/despairing/delighted of the spread of the McD franchise.

However, I have a son who worked for them for 7 years and they treated him well so I cannot be too critical. There are always two sides of an argument.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Tincatinker said:
Tyrrek, I think you and Reb do good stuff around her stamping grounds and I trust your wounds have healed :wink: the Meseta would be even more beautiful if people would stop equating open space with open dump.
Thanks Tincatinker! All is well - I just couldn't shave for a week or so until the (very minor) injury healed. My fleece still has shot holes in it, but I doubt it will ever heal! Ha ha! Good luck with the Ingles! Buen Camino!

Vicrev, sorry but I missed your question.

In the UK Marigolds are a brand of rubber glove sold for domestic cleaning use. Lightweight, robust and comfortable (and sponsorship still welcome). They have a roll-down cuff which means you can strip them off your hand and turn them inside-out in one go avoiding any contamination on the outer surface.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The only negative is our poor tired.feet....if they would only cooperate n.allow us a peaceful camino without pain so it could b enjoyed...such wonderful comrades we bcome...blisters most of us get n when the doctor's tell us to go home we go a little slower but our journey toward Santiago continueswe r pilgrims with a goal ..

What negative? Can't think of any.
Oh! yes I suffered the tired, aching feet, blisters and the uncertainty of a bed at the end of a long day - but it's the Camino, and I expected this.
I received far more than the tiny bit of suffering I endured.
Nop! can't think of any negatives.

My immediate reaction to this question is the concern of developing foot problems that might prevent one from finishing their trek. I had some serious blister trouble and kept treating & wrapping toes/foot. I was determined that nothing would stop me so continued on knowing I was near my goal of Santiago. The infection I had developed in my right foot could wait. Nothing fell off so it was all good in the end.
Any negatives might be a result of your expectations & how motivated you are to finish this journey.

Negative?

People getting up at 4AM. That's really annoying for me. But then again maybe my snoring is annoying for them. The same people sitting and waiting outside of an albergue at noon and had no idea what to do except to get a bed. That's annoying. But maybe me coming in at 6PM and drinking a few beers (or whatever that's different from theirs drink) before taking a shower is also annoying. Who would know???

My freedom is just at the margin of your freedom and vice versa!!!

Ultreia!

I loved it all, but when I had a choice, I chose to follow the sheep rather than the cattle. :wink:

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Toilet light switches being on a very short timer and being out of reach from the sitting position.
...and THIS is why a headlamp is important to pack! LOL
... or a tiny, little light (red) which, along with my tiny Swiss Army knife, lived in my pants pocket.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The question from Vicrev is very valid to me. Most people here are very positive, me too.
I didn't read a story here from someone for who the camino was just not his/her thing, who just doesn't understand all the happy stories, who gave up being bored so much. It would be interesting for me to put that experience next to me.
So, I still hope to read some of these experiences here

The question from Vicrev is very valid to me. Most people here are very positive, me too.
I didn't read a story here from someone for who the camino was just not his/her thing, who just doesn't understand all the happy stories, who gave up being bored so much. It would be interesting for me to put that experience next to me.
So, I still hope to read some of these experiences here

This is a tough one, Thomas 1962. But I will give it a try.

Last year, I found myself desperately in need of some direction in a particular area of my life. As luck would have it, I came across the quote, “Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you’ll be able to see farther”. It was then that I planned my Camino. I embraced the Camino as a pilgrimage, not as a lark, although I still very much looked forward to enjoying the experience (I love hiking). I fully expected stressful situations, inconveniences, and the like, and they did come my way. But I willingly accepted (most times, anyway) all these mild inconveniences and stressful situations, not only as part of the pilgrimage experience, but as learning experiences. I would be loath, and I stress this, to refer to them as ‘negatives’. Still, in the hope that it helps, here are a few that come to mind:

- In the albergues: Lack of privacy; shared bathrooms, showers, etc.; lack of space to put belongings; the need to be constantly organized, i.e. know in advance what clothes/toiletries you need to take with you when you go have a shower; worrying about whether I’m going to snore that night (I don’t always snore) and who I might disturb; being afraid to fall asleep because if I snored, I might disturb someone; if unable to sleep, having to lie quietly in bed as there was nowhere else to go; having to lie quietly in bed if I woke up in the morning well before what might be considered a reasonable hour (I once resorted to sitting on a bench in the bathroom and working on my blog); and sleeping next to strangers;

- Worrying, while out on the trail, about not finding a bathroom if I needed one;

- Lack of fresh, cooked vegetables in the pilgrim meals. Don’t get me wrong, the salads were heavenly, but I missed fresh, cooked veggies with the main meal;

- The eternal bocadillo con queso, and fritata. I don’t eat meat. And did I ever rejoice when I came across an empanada atún, (often made by “Mama”). And I found a bocadillo con anchoa only in Acebo;

- Worrying about being a good ‘guest’, for the 40 days it took me to walk the Francés. Actually, accustomed as I am to spending a lot of time alone, having to be in the presence of others for 40 days was stressful, but a worthwhile exercise in tolerance, charity and all those other virtues;

- A definite negative: The garbage around the Belgian Pilgrim’s memorial; it is hard to think that people can be so disrespectful. I cleaned it up with two plastic bags I had on hand, and carted the garbage to a refuse receptacle, which was well within sight of the memorial;

- Two other negatives – both involving the treatment of dogs;

- There were several times, but in no way always, when I wanted to be alone with my thoughts, that the chatter of other pilgrims bothered me – I was happy when they found someone else to talk to.

As regards sleeping next to strangers, I was forced to completely rethink my feelings here. You see, shortly after I returned from my Camino, I learned that about two weeks earlier, while my companions and I were still on our Camino, a very highly regarded member of this forum, passed away in an albergue in Logroño. When I read all the wonderful, heartfelt tributes other forum members wrote about him, I could not help but think that he could have been one of these ‘strangers’ I was so concerned about sleeping next to, or sharing a bathroom with. [Contrary to what one would assume from my username, I am a woman.] I now feel I need to go back to the Camino with a different outlook.

I’m not sure what you mean by “someone …. who gave up being bored so much”. I was never bored …. exhausted, yes, but never bored.

Perhaps others can add something. Charleen

Last edited:
I am at Roncesvalles right now. I think the only real negative is that a lot of people are getting up at 5am in order to leave at 6am, people are running and rushing around all the time regardless of the time of day always in a hurry.

This i see as a negative for *them* of course, today it is a minor inconvenience only for me. I worry for them and what they are thinking:)

Buen Camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
This is a tough one, Thomas 1962. But I will give it a try.

Last year, I found myself desperately in need of some direction in a particular area of my life. As luck would have it, I came across the quote, “Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you’ll be able to see farther”. It was then that I planned my Camino. I embraced the Camino as a pilgrimage, not as a lark, although I still very much looked forward to enjoying the experience (I love hiking). I fully expected stressful situations, inconveniences, and the like, and they did come my way. But I willingly accepted (most times, anyway) all these mild inconveniences and stressful situations, not only as part of the pilgrimage experience, but as learning experiences. I would be loath, and I stress this, to refer to them as ‘negatives’. Still, in the hope that it helps, here are a few that come to mind:

Hi Charlesx,
Thank you for your honest input. Wonderful to read your thoughts.
The last sentence I quoted says it all also to me. I wouldn't call them negative either, there just might be some things which can be hard to deal with. That's part of what makes the camino the camino, and why it is so special. I think we have the same thoughts about that.

When I need to be at a beach for two weeks I will have a horrible time, while other (a lot of) people will have a great time.
In that sense I'm interesting in people for whom the camino was altogether a horrible time and for whom it is simply just not their thing. Everyone on this forum seems so fulfilled (exept some 'small' things like snoring etc) from the caminoexperience. In that way we all nearly sound like sekt...

I am at Roncesvalles right now. I think the only real negative is that a lot of people are getting up at 5am in order to leave at 6am, people are running and rushing around all the time regardless of the time of day always in a hurry.

This i see as a negative for *them* of course, today it is a minor inconvenience only for me. I worry for them and what they are thinking:)

Buen Camino!
I too started like that...it lasted 3 days. By Cizur Mener, I was cured and usually left among the last ones at 7:15-7:30 but I got to the albergue in the middle of the pack without rushing too much, just a regular pace.

I too started like that...it lasted 3 days. By Cizur Mener, I was cured and usually left among the last ones at 7:15-7:30 but I got to the albergue in the middle of the pack without rushing too much, just a regular pace.

It's fine - it seems avoiding the stages in the Brierley book solves this to a large degree. Herd mentality can be predictable it seems. :)

Buen Camino

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Like everyone says all the time, the camino is Real Life, boiled down. (This is a wonderful thread!)
Into every life will fall some rain, will sleep some snorers alongside, will come some overly chatty companions, some 4 a.m. fireworks, some crying babies, week-long rainstorms, boring philosophers, weenie-waggers... some shocking bedbugs or stomach virus!
But the hike goes on, the journey continues. And for those who endure the blisters and exhaustion and hangovers come the revelations, sing-alongs, the spectacular sundowns and sunups, the deep friendships, the sweetness and light that keeps 21st century people signing on for this thousand-year-old Forced March into Eternity... the camino makes us human again. We all are in this together, marching toward the same end.
We can only hope a giant silver incense burner is there to drown out our aroma.

Like everyone says all the time, the camino is Real Life, boiled down. (This is a wonderful thread!)
Into every life will fall some rain, will sleep some snorers alongside, will come some overly chatty companions, some 4 a.m. fireworks, some crying babies, week-long rainstorms, boring philosophers, weenie-waggers... some shocking bedbugs or stomach virus!
But the hike goes on, the journey continues. And for those who endure the blisters and exhaustion and hangovers come the revelations, sing-alongs, the spectacular sundowns and sunups, the deep friendships, the sweetness and light that keeps 21st century people signing on for this thousand-year-old Forced March into Eternity... the camino makes us human again. We all are in this together, marching toward the same end.
We can only hope a giant silver incense burner is there to drown out our aroma.

Weenie-waggers? One can only guess what you mean by that. :)

Iv'e got this mental picture of walking along with a mob of weenie-waggers ( if its what I think they are!)next time I will make sure to walk in freezing weather !!!!!!......:eek:.:oops:........Vicrev

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Iv'e got this mental picture of walking along with a mob of weenie-waggers ( if its what I think they are!)next time I will make sure to walk in freezing weather !!!!!!......:eek:.:oops:........Vicrev
Ha!!!! I dont want to know.....

The poo... The litter created with toilette paper is kind of upsetting to see...

At the time, I couldn't stand feces from the cows (especially in Galicia) but now the smell of manure brings me back to some amazing times while walking the Camino!

Buen Camino,
Zac

My big negative , people with poles on hard surfaces, the steel tips make a lot noise , I usually sit in shade for a period to loose them, another negative for me people singing as they walk, noise pollution I call it, be sensitive to other people around you.
I have never heard singing described as noise pollution before...its actually offensive to hear you say that. Big thumbs down from me on that part of the post. If other people singing bothers you perhaps you should get earplugs to enjoy the silence alone. I mean the other choice is you could lighten up and learn the words and sing along...maybe thats why God put them in your path in the first place...grins.

However the tips of the poles would drive me nuts too so Im gonna remember the rubber tips!

The poo... The litter created with toilette paper is kind of upsetting to see...

At the time, I couldn't stand feces from the cows (especially in Galicia) but now the smell of manure brings me back to some amazing times while walking the Camino!

Buen Camino,
Zac
That would be upsetting...In Canada we have laws about people leaving the poop from their dogs on public property and we gladly follow behind our dogs and do the scooping of the pooping and it gets thrown away in a rubbish bin. I think one should expect the same for themselves...Take Baggies! SCOOP your POOP! lol

I have never heard singing described as noise pollution before...

I can only double this!!! In my country we have a saying "One who sings means no harm". And also I would be very happy to hear someone singing while walking the Camino. I mean...., uh.....,

well, you know what I mean :D

I can only double this!!! In my country we have a saying "One who sings means no harm". And also I would be very happy to hear someone singing while walking the Camino. I mean...., uh.....,

well, you know what I mean :D[/quot

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Started my Camino from SJPP in June and finished in July. I'm a 69 yo retiree & grandmother of 3 who has never hiked or camped in her life. Prepared as best as I can for 1 yr before I started in SJPP. I must say the Camino was hard for an oldie like me but it was the experience of a lifetime! I met great people along the way from all over the world - helpful, caring people except for one negative experience in Ribadiso albergue. It was a long walk for me so when I arrived at the albergue & got my bed #21 I was ready to flop on my bed. I noticed there was a backpack on my bed so I double checked my bed number- yes I have the right bed. I went ahead & set the backpack that was on my bed on the floor & waited for the owner to claim it. No one came so I laid down & was soon asleep only to be waken by this old German man who hit me in the back with a cloth bag. I was so shocked that someone would hit me in the back . He was yelling in German that that was his bed. I showed him my bed ticket matching the bed number. Then he yelled at me & asked me if I spoke English (I am Asian American) At this point I was seething inside & was so mad that somebody would be so rude. I told him that yes, I'm American & I should be able to speak English & asked him "Can you?" Finally one of the ladies in the room talked to him & took him outside to the hospitalero's office to find his bed. I thought that was the end of it but I was wrong when later I went to the nearby restaurant for dinner. He was there, harassed me & in broken English told me he was going to call the police. That was it!! I stood up, yelled at him, told him to go ahead & call the police & we'll see who goes to jail-that I have met angels on the Camino, that 99% of the people walking the Camino are wonderful people but I have met the devil on the Camino & that was him, screamed at him that I'm American & I will not put up with harassment & "expletive" from people like him. Called him the "Demonio" of the Camino. He walked away & I heard him ask the bar owner where the bus stop was. To this day I regret losing my temper to that rude German guy. But sometimes you have to do what you have to do. I hope to walk the Ingles in 2015 & pray I don't experience another negative one then.

My poles had rubber tips...
And truly sorry if it upset anyone, but singing "Supercallifragilisticexpiallidocious " was the only way me and my dear friend could make it down the horrible steep path to Trabadelo !
Hah! Mine was the Muppet's Mahna-Mahna. That got me up O Cebreiro alone in a near blizzard! It's my Camino mantra......but I can sing it softly in my head when I pass other peregrinos.

But sometimes you have to do what you have to do. I hope to walk the Ingles in 2015 & pray I don't experience another negative one then.

Damn right, a lady has to do what a lady has to do!!! Amen!
:D

Thinking anyone can do SJPP to Roncesvalles in one day. Yeh, I knew they did.... but I don't know how.

start early...take the Charlemagne way...and just put one foot in front of the other. You can do it!
By "the Charlemagne way" Pattii means the Valcarlos alternate route from SJPdP to Roncevalles. On the alternate you go through the mountain pass and not over the pass. For more info see this Forum thread.

Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

€149,-
indeed i do...just sounded grovie to say it my way...you know Napoleon vs Charlemagne...lol

Both routes were hard. At the time of my little jaunt into the mountain ranges, the Napoleon Route was still subject to 3m snow-drifts. People had been airlifted off the mountain. One poor soul had got lost, disoriented and died. 20+km on your first day - over a mountain - is gobsmackingly, miraculous. I am in awe of those who did it. Valcarlos is not an 'easier' route, either. They're both insanely hard. Hats off to anyone who did it in one day. I took 2, and if there was an albergue between Valcarlos & Roncesvalles, I would have taken 3. ;):p:oops::rolleyes:o_O

No Vacarlos is not an easier route...just safer and when in doubt of your knees or ankles is a better route I would think. As hard as walking on the road is ...its safer than having to be airlifted off the mountain...at least for me...
I am doing it in two days no matter what. I think the shell shock will be enough for me on that first day...lol.

€149,-
By the third week you get into the zone and by the fourth week you are a pilgrim-Zombie - walking in the Zen zone without a care in the world!

LOL! Love that quote! My husband and I hope to be pilgrim zombies Spring 2014! :D

The final negative is that I have walked through every type of weather except falling snow. This time last year I was in Mortinos in beautiful sunshine. Rebekkah has just posted on FB the most wonderful snow scene. (She, of course, lives there). If I could jump on a plane today by the time I arrived it would have vanished.

The weather NEVER does what you want or need it to do! LOL. :evil:
Hola if you had walk the Frances Camino in late May 2013 in Galicia you could have had snow around 20-30 cm (almost 12 inches if you use imperial measurements). One trekker told me she gave up walking for 3-4 days and took a bus the SDC and then went back to finish. Cheers

Hola if you had walk the Frances Camino in late May 2013 in Galicia you could have had snow around 20-30 cm (almost 12 inches if you use imperial measurements). One trekker told me she gave up walking for 3-4 days and took a bus the SDC and then went back to finish. Cheers

I walked the Frances in early September to early November of 2000. Saw every kind of weather. Literally. Every kind. Mostly cool, some very cold, and a couple days of a heat wave. Rain, pouring rain, deluge. One light rain day walking along vineyard dirt roads all day had a sucking mud. All day. Some fog and frost. And snow. The Camino was pretty much shut down a day behind me after Cruz de Ferro due to snow. I walked alone over the off-road route to O Cebreiro when it started snowing. Everyone else that day walked along the busy road the whole way, even my walking companions. That scared me worse than anything, walking on a narrow shoulder in sleety weather. So I went up and over all alone. Most amazing, beautiful, peaceful day ever, through the chestnut groves. In the last few km, though, the show started for real. I lost the path, and in a leap of faith followed tractor tracks in 2 feet of snow and serious flurries, into the mountains with no visible signage until I reached O Cebreiro.

In the last week before Santiago, thinking we had experienced all possible weather, all of a sudden it started hailing. We laughed so hard, getting pelted. How could we have forgotten about hail?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
You crack me up!!

Negatives? Wish someone had mentioned how difficult some sections were to walk - We would have still walked the Camino but an advance warning would have been appreciated. Words like "challenging" do not mean much considering you never know the age or physical condition of the poster. A completely open and honest review with information on the posters personal abilities or disabilities would go a long way in helping others prepare. for their own Camino.

I have never heard singing described as noise pollution before...its actually offensive to hear you say that. Big thumbs down from me on that part of the post. If other people singing bothers you perhaps you should get earplugs to enjoy the silence alone. I mean the other choice is you could lighten up and learn the words and sing along...maybe thats why God put them in your path in the first place...grins.

However the tips of the poles would drive me nuts too so Im gonna remember the rubber tips!
Gee I sang songs daily to my wife as we walked - now I hope I didn't offend anyone - ha!

Rubber tips not only quiet those durable tungsten tips but actually provide better traction and gripping power on asphalt and slippery rocks.

Buen Camino

€149,-
Dear oh Dear.....I thought the question I asked was quite valid.I didnt expect some of the replies to have an adverse effect !!!....Please note.Negativity and Negative happenings are two different things ! As for the comment I'm searching for the half empty glass,my glass is always chock full ,in all ways! Thanks to the people who have replied POSITIVELY to the question....Vicr

Asking a negative question invites negativity in. The Camino is what it is for each who walk the path, your question invited negativity into the conversation and popped it up on Facebook for me to see, gosh darn it. It doesn't seem helpful to focus on the negative. I'm with "half empty glass" guy. Your question, per your introduction to your question, resulted from your reaction to seeing all the positives posted. Now ya got people complaining about people singing on the Camino. Good golly miss molly. Have you walked the Camino?

Negatives? Wish someone had mentioned how difficult some sections were to walk - We would have still walked the Camino but an advance warning would have been appreciated. Words like "challenging" do not mean much considering you never know the age or physical condition of the poster. A completely open and honest review with information on the posters personal abilities or disabilities would go a long way in helping others prepare. for their own Camino.
I'm writing in a blog bits about my Camino experience which is recent - my first was in 2010 and I found it easy. This year I made a few voice recordings en route since I'm too indisciplined to keep a diary. When I listen to my recordings I am shocked at how physically difficult I found this last one. Each day I forget the negatives more. But I half believe it was my last when I hear myself speaking but then I also know I will go and try again even if it's with crutches.
I'm 64 with a fair bit of arthritis and a very painful ankle - the result of an accident in 1991. I am young on the Camino. An English gentleman strolled passed me this year: he was 79.
I think it is difficult to say how difficult it will be for someone else. Just do what you can and I have been learning not to plan too much, just take whatever comes. That makes every moment very special.

Good Golly, Miss Margo !!!...If, you had read my post properly,you would have noticed I asked people for the negatives they had encountered, while walking the camino, so people could avoid them, when doing their camino, simple enough isn't it ? Wouldn't you like to be forewarned about things you might not like ? As to your strange comment about my reaction to positive comments ......what are you implying ?.....read my other posts,hardly negative !!......as for your sarcastic question....."have you walked the camino"... Good Golly, Miss Margo , sure have....................

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
There is one post a month from a pilgrim who says, "I wish someone had told me how hard it is." Posts that touch on that area provide a balance that keeps expectations realistic. With about the same frequency there is a new pilgrim posting about high expectations for spirituality, religiosity, and comaraderie who I think is head for a crash the first night he/she spends an hour treating blisters! Expectations were so high that there was no way the drudgery of the pilgrimage could possibly live up to them. There are positives; there are negatives. Absent whining, it is good to know about the negatives.;)

There were a couple of negatives I recall from the camino.

Toilet paper left everywhere is disgusting. I recall one windy day when I saw a few pieces being blown off the ground, and I remember thinking how mad I'd be if one of them hit me. Is it really too much trouble for people to carry a "sanitary bag" to put their garbage in, and dispose of it properly? I know people with pets (at home, not on the camino) carry baggies to clean up after their animals when they go out for a walk, but pilgrims are apparently above cleaning up after themselves. It's really disgusting to me, and really detracts from the beauty of some places.

Someone who had done the camino a few times before joined our group for a few days. He was a "know it all" type of person, and I found myself trying to outpace the rest of the group just to get away from him. He had to tell us what was around every single bend in the road... what we were going to see... the (alleged) history of every location (which he was usually wrong about)... Being a first-timer on the camino, he was taking away all of the fun of discovering things on your own. It was mentally taxing. I had to leave my friends behind at times just to get away from him for a while.

Those were the two major ones. Considering the number of things I saw and experiences I had, I guess that really isn't too bad. :)

My walk positively exceed all my hesitations and worries and left me with only glowing feeling and desire to return to Camino; however I did have few "Blessings in a disguise".

1. Blisters: It was horrible with peeled off skin and dripping raw, but I experienced the kindness of the Pilgrims who helped heal my blisters and in the process help me heal my skepticism of humankind. Also it forced me to take it easy by walking slowly, and take in the beauty of Caminoscape that I was just whizzing by. I used to think: Hey I can't let that guy pass me I am in better shape than he is. After blisters I kept telling myself: I am a turtle, I carry my shell on my back (backpack), my shell is my burden, but everywhere I go I have my shelter with me.

2. Stolen smart phone: I woke up to a yell by one of the room mates in an albergue around 3 am. She was frantically searching for her phone she had left plugged into to a power outlet. We all woke up to find that all phones plugged into the set of outlet were all gone, and one young man also had his pouch (slept with it next to his head) missing with his money and other valuables. Albergue owner was called, and police came and followed by filling in the reports. As a sun rose, few of us pooled some money for the young man (luckily thief has thrown the pouch right outside of the door with all other important document and credit card intact - minus the cash). As for me, losing this phone meant that I was no longer able to multi task of checking on work via email while walking the Camino. I needn't have worried, as there were internet enabled computers in almost all albergues for notifying my family and work. This freed me up to truly enjoy the Camino. Not relying on phone maps, translations, and emails meant that I have to interact with locals more, look up and see the sun to determine time of the day, and rely more on my body to tell me when I am hungry and tired. This turned out to be greatest blessing in disguise.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
You know, after reading this thread again for probably the third time, and having walked from SJPDP to Santiago, I look back and realize that anything negative about being on "The Way" can happen at home as well as there. Every single one, including the bedbugs. Not that I have experienced that at home personally, but I have a friend who did. I think she brought them home from a hotel here in the U.S. It's all just a consequence of life. It's just distilled on the Camino. It's no more or less negative or positive on the Camino than it is in your own backyard and it all depends on how you personally are able to handle both of these things.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
What are your favorite restaurants, bars, hotels, inns, etc on the Camino Frances NOT in albergues please? Gracias.
We just returned home from watching our second total solar eclipse here in the U.S. in 7 years. Our next is in 20 years. We have become hooked on the magical, mystical, moving unique experience...
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.