• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino newbie 😀

Anto1110

Time of past OR future Camino
The French Camino to Santiago
Hi all,

I’m planning to start the Camino mid May 2020 when my college year finishes. I have many questions that I would love everyone opinion on.
I was told that July/August would be the hotter months so the earlier I can start the better.
would most people book accomadation or pre book everything before you start as it’s generally very busy and peace of mind to have somewhere or is it part of the tradition to get a place as soon as you arrive.this is my challenge for 2020 and would love any advice from people. Thanks in advance

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Welcome to the forum!
There are tons of info here about practically any aspect of the walk. Use the "search" function.
As for reservations, It is always a transaction between peace of mind/being free to walk as long as you like. I'd recommend reserving the two or three first days, see the situation and decide on the spot your next moves.
If you start in Saint Jean Pied de Port or Roncesvalles, there are usually 30-40 days to Compostela.
Mid May has a quite nice weather; days will be getting hotter along June.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Most people here (including me) would not recommend booking everything in advance. That locks you into a fixed itinerary and you may find once you start that you might not want to keep that itinerary, because you want to walk more or less distance per day than you thought, because you want to make more or fewer rest days than you thought, because you get injured and can't keep up with your pre-booked schedule, because you fall in love, etc. If you're starting at SJPdP, I'd agree that booking there and for your next night at Roncesvalles (or Orisson if you plan to stay there) is wise. Buen camino in any case!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi all,

I’m planning to start the Camino mid May 2020 when my college year finishes. I have many questions that I would love everyone opinion on.
I was told that July/August would be the hotter months so the earlier I can start the better.
would most people book accomadation or pre book everything before you start as it’s generally very busy and peace of mind to have somewhere or is it part of the tradition to get a place as soon as you arrive.this is my challenge for 2020 and would love any advice from people. Thanks in advance
The time you choose to begin walking is the best time. This is an inner journey. The externals are just add ins. Buen camino

[The French Way] to start ... mid May 2020 ...

The earlier the better. Or from September, or even October, when it will be cooler.

To my mind, @jungleboy hits the nail fair and square about NOT booking ahead.

And if you are fit and done your preparation right you will get over the hillock from Saint-Jean in one easy bound, and a little beyond Roncesvalles to boot.

As to preparation of both body and mind, I suggest you consider working up to:
1) 15 km before stopping for breakfast; and
2) 400 metres of elevation gain before stopping ...

A trick to consider when going up steep hills (like from Saint-Jean, and elsewhere) is to:
a) dress light - you will warm up quite soon, and the day will as well
b) take really small steps - toes of one foot land about 100 - 150 mm (4 - 6 inches) in front
c) breathe in on one footfall and out on the other (or vice versa)
d) don't stop, except to admire the view towards the top: take photos with micro pauses (practice needed)

So, @Anto1110 , I wish you kia kaha (take care, be strong, get going) and hope to hear of your safe arrival in Compostela.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
thank you all for your replies, its all a brilliant help to guide me on my journey. i am restricted on the times with college as i finish mid may and recommence again the beginning of September but a few people have told me july/august can be quite hot for walking. another brief question i have is how much people budget a day for everything i was thinking E50 to include accomadation? also after santiago do many people go to finisterre? thank you all again for your help and advice for my journey, buen camino!

another brief question i have is how much people budget a day for everything i was thinking E50 to include accomadation?

If you stay in albergues (€5-10) every night or most nights and eat simple pilgrim meals, €50 is on the high side. You could budget for more like €30 and be comfortable. But if you want mostly private rooms, and possibly fancier meals where available, then €50 or more would be more realistic.

also after santiago do many people go to finisterre? thank you all again for your help and advice for my journey, buen camino!

Many people do but be aware that you might be wiped out by the time you reach Santiago and not have the physical or mental energy to continue. That happened to my wife and I on our first camino. We had intended to go to Finisterre but she developed plantar fasciitis and had trouble walking pain-free, and once we got to Santiago we were very satisfied with that and didn't feel like walking any further.

Anto, if you ever hit Dublin from Thursday to Saturday, look in at the Camino Society office in James's Street. you will get a big welcome and lots of information.
www.caminosociety.com

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
thank you all for your replies, its all a brilliant help to guide me on my journey. i am restricted on the times with college as i finish mid may and recommence again the beginning of September but a few people have told me july/august can be quite hot for walking. another brief question i have is how much people budget a day for everything i was thinking E50 to include accomadation? also after santiago do many people go to finisterre? thank you all again for your help and advice for my journey, buen camino!
July and August are quite hot for walking but certainly doable. I did it with my son in those months when he was in high school and those were the only months available. You will find yourself getting up early so that you are finished your walking before the hottest part of the day (mid-afternoon). But the sunrise is early as well.

E50 is probably more than enough, including accommodation, if you are planning to stay in albergues and eat pilgrim menus or menus del dia in the restaurants. If you are looking to stay in nice hotels and paradors you may need a little more. If you are planning to stay in the less expensive albergues and cook your own meals you can get by with a lot less.

I've heard about 10% walk on towards Finisterre and/or Muxia. It might be a little less, I doubt it is more. It is certainly a lot less than you will see in the final 100 km - probably similar to the earlier parts of the Camino Frances or the Camino Portugues and more than I've seen in videoblogs of people doing the less used routes like the Camino Madrid or Ruta de la Lana. Once you get to Finisterre, however, the numbers go up again as a number of pilgrims bus there from Santiago.

I actually had cooler weather in July/August 2017 than in September 2016, especially on the Meseta. Every year is different.

50 Euros a day is more than plenty - in fact if you travel with the pack and do the albergue thing most of the way you will have extra should you opt for some solitude once in a while by checking in to a little hotel. Have you looked at other routes, or have you set your mind on the French Camino? I walked the Madrid Camino in May, joined up with the French Camino at Sahagun and walked to Santiago and on to Finisterre. It was absolutely amazing and not at all crowded. The final 100 km to the sea were worth the whole trip in my estimation. Think on it, and Buen Camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back