• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Ninja

Ellann

Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese Camino 2022
French Camino 2024
I have started to plan walking from Burgos to Sarria (yes on advice I have extended my Camino to include Burgos to Leon), and am a big fan of the Camino Ninja app. I am wondering if someone is managing and maintaining the app since the death of the wonderful man, Andy Jensen who invented it.
I always like to stay in the municipal albergues because I travel alone and travelling from Australia I have to consider my overall budget. The app shows that a lot of the municipal albergues are closed for the season (the opening and closing is shown in the app), as opposed to "temporarily closed".
I walked the Portuguese Camino this year, so I have cross referenced to see if any albergues I stayed in are "closed for the season". Most are open all year, but one or two have changed status from verified open to closed for the season.
Is this an automatic change of status or has someone actually updated the status? Or are a lot of the municipal albergues simply closed?
Being an avid "planner", I loved the app when planning and walking the Portuguese Camino. I was both so grateful to Andy and incredibly sad at the same time.
Thanks in advance.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
As far as I know the app is no longer maintained or updated, and it's no longer available to download.

I use Gronze.com to check albergue opening/closing dates, along with Buen Camino and Wise Pilgrim apps.
Thanks Trecile I am aware the app is no longer able to be downloaded and am fully across Gronze but not used Buen Camino or Wise Camino apps. I just wondered if anyone knew if all the municipal albergues on the French Way were open or not in the busy season and if open what prompted the green light to turn to red on Camino Ninja app. I can easily wait until Easter to check if the Ninja app hasn’t disappeared. In the meantime I have downloaded the Buen Camino and checking it out.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
@Ellann it has always been the case that many of the albergues close during the winter months. Here is a list of albergues that are open in winter, with information. It may not help, as your question relates to summer, but you could use it to cross reference.

Thanks Kanga I will be walking in May. Hoping all those municipal albergues from Burgos to Sarria will be open.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
If you are dead set on Camino Ninja, be aware that if you use an iPhone and update it, you will no longer be able to access the device. I am at version 16 on the iPhone. While the app is still there, I can no longer open it.

I have started to plan walking from Burgos to Sarria (yes on advice I have extended my Camino to include Burgos to Leon), and am a big fan of the Camino Ninja app. I am wondering if someone is managing and maintaining the app since the death of the wonderful man, Andy Jensen who invented it.
I always like to stay in the municipal albergues because I travel alone and travelling from Australia I have to consider my overall budget. The app shows that a lot of the municipal albergues are closed for the season (the opening and closing is shown in the app), as opposed to "temporarily closed".
I walked the Portuguese Camino this year, so I have cross referenced to see if any albergues I stayed in are "closed for the season". Most are open all year, but one or two have changed status from verified open to closed for the season.
Is this an automatic change of status or has someone actually updated the status? Or are a lot of the municipal albergues simply closed?
Being an avid "planner", I loved the app when planning and walking the Portuguese Camino. I was both so grateful to Andy and incredibly sad at the same time.
Thanks in advance.
I was wondering the same. I sure hope someone picks up the ball after Andy’s death. Oh how we miss him.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
If you are dead set on Camino Ninja, be aware that if you use an iPhone and update it, you will no longer be able to access the device. I am at version 16 on the iPhone. While the app is still there, I can no longer open it.
Hmm that is weird because I have just updated my iPhone 11 Plus as well to 16 and the app is working just fine.

FWIW, if you are looking for a free app that is continuously maintained I recently published a new one. I will echo what others have said, which is that I imagine that by the end of April all but a few albergues will have opened.

Here are some links to the free app:
iOS
Wise Pilgrim All Caminos App

Android
I just opened the Wise Pilgrim App and couldn’t find Sarria - I thought that was a start Town for the last 100K. Am I missing something?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
FWIW, if you are looking for a free app that is continuously maintained I recently published a new one. I will echo what others have said, which is that I imagine that by the end of April all but a few albergues will have opened.

iOS

Android
Don’t mean to derail this thread, but I was walking through the Dallas Airport yesterday and saw this sign. For a moment I thought Wise Pilgrim had set up shop. But no, it was a fast food place called Chick-Fil-A

FC054913-857D-45C8-A7E7-9487A16CF6F3.jpeg

Attachments

• F3F8D3FB-24F9-492B-BD32-B1D704FB1B06.jpeg
    F3F8D3FB-24F9-492B-BD32-B1D704FB1B06.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 6
Don’t mean to derail this thread, but I was walking through the Dallas Airport yesterday and saw this sign. For a moment I thought Wise Pilgrim had set up shop. But no, it was a fast food place called Chick-Fil-A

View attachment 137973
It's almost like Chick-Fol-A and Walmart had a baby. The horror!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Does anyone have news about the Camino Ninja App? I think it would be in his interest to carry on no? It’s the best app I have used (and I did use 5 or 6).
There seem to be people interested in volunteering to keep it up, did you get in contact with anyone?

Does anyone have news about the Camino Ninja App? I think it would be in his interest to carry on no? It’s the best app I have used (and I did use 5 or 6).
There seem to be people interested in volunteering to keep it up, did you get in contact with anyone?
There is a German guy who has been in contact with @ivar who may be taking it over.

Oh thank you for the information! It gives hope! Not only because of the wonderful helpful app but it really would be nice carry this legacy. This guy did all the work just to help people! If you hear about a donation drive for the servers and stuff, please let everyone know! I am sure everyone that walked with it would like to give a bit…

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Oh thank you for the information! It gives hope! Not only because of the wonderful helpful app but it really would be nice carry this legacy. This guy did all the work just to help people! If you hear about a donation drive for the servers and stuff, please let everyone know! I am sure everyone that walked with it would like to give a bit…
Sadly, given the reluctance of many to pay an inconsequential sum for a regularly updated app (cf Wisepilgrim above) I doubt that sufficient would donate.

iOS

Android
I’m just wondering how this app differs from the individual apps that I have purchased for specific routes.

I’m just wondering how this app differs from the individual apps that I have purchased for specific routes.
This app is not as descriptive as the other route specific apps, and it does not include offline maps (though I am searching for a way to add them soon).

The full apps, in other words, are a digital version of the printed guidebook.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
This app is not as descriptive as the other route specific apps, and it does not include offline maps (though I am searching for a way to add them soon).

The full apps, in other words, are a digital version of the printed guidebook.
Thank you for the reply- I have your route specific apps and the offline maps are very helpful. Saved me a couple of times on the Norte.

Sadly, given the reluctance of many to pay an inconsequential sum for a regularly updated app (cf Wisepilgrim above) I doubt that sufficient would donate.
When I consider how much time and money I am investing in a Camino, it seems absurd to me to be unwilling to invest a paltry sum for something that could really make a difference (and weighs nothing!). That might be why I have over a dozen Camino-related apps on my phone. Including various Wise Pilgrim apps, Buen Camino, and Camino Ninja.

I recognize some don't want to use apps at all, and that's fine. But if you are going to use them, it's worth investing the price of a cafe con leche or two to support the good ones.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
When I consider how much time and money I am investing in a Camino, it seems absurd to me to be unwilling to invest a paltry sum for something that could really make a difference (and weighs nothing!). That might be why I have over a dozen Camino-related apps on my phone. Including various Wise Pilgrim apps, Buen Camino, and Camino Ninja.

I recognize some don't want to use apps at all, and that's fine. But if you are going to use them, it's worth investing the price of a cafe con leche or two to support the good ones.

I sadly have to agree with you, but this seems to me to be no different than the phenomenon of people with money not contributing when they stay in a donativo albergue.

Ender has several free online guides, to the Salvador and the Olvidado, and at the urging of several of us, he added a link for donations. If you’ve followed the many posts here about his projects, you know he is always doing something to help pilgrims — starting with the metal shell markers on the Salvador years ago, which first announced the Camino del Salvador in modern times. ANYWAY…. the amount of donations he receives is trivial, yet he knows that it’s not because no one is reading his guides!

Sad but true. A lot wouldn't pay for an app - yet how many Brierly guides are out there collecting dust because they heavy to carry and not up to date beyond when the book was written?

I love my apps. I have a lot of Camino apps. Wise Pilgrim (have lots of those - even though I haven't done all of the trails yet), Camino Ninja, Buen Camino, and even the Far Out app for the Frances which isn't Camino specific - but gives lots of details about the trail including location of water sources and such. That one is for thru hikers of long distance trails. Anyhow - more than willing to pay for a good, comprehensive, up to date app!

For those who have Android phones I recommend Installing the Google Opinions Rewards app. Every so often the app will prompt you to complete a very short survey - they usually only take a few seconds to complete. You earn money (usually 10¢ - 50¢) in your Google Play account to purchase apps, ebooks, etc.

I sometimes use my rewards to buy Camino apps.

https://googleopinionrewards.page.link/share

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I sadly have to agree with you, but this seems to me to be no different than the phenomenon of people with money not contributing when they stay in a donativo albergue.

Ender has several free online guides, to the Salvador and the Olvidado, and at the urging of several of us, he added a link for donations. If you’ve followed the many posts here about his projects, you know he is always doing something to help pilgrims — starting with the metal shell markers on the Salvador years ago, which first announced the Camino del Salvador in modern times. ANYWAY…. the amount of donations he receives is trivial, yet he knows that it’s not because no one is reading his guides!
Thank Peregrina2000 I have downloaded Ender‘s guide from a link in one of your posts but I can’t see a link for donations - is it possible for you to point me in the right direction please?

Thank Peregrina2000 I have downloaded Ender‘s guide from a link in one of your posts but I can’t see a link for donations - is it possible for you to point me in the right direction please?
Wow, thank you! Maybe the link is only in the Salvador guide and not the Olvidado guide, but here is a screenshot from page 75 the Salvador guide in English. I will encourage him to put a link in the Olvidado guide, too.

Guide here: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...uide-to-salvador-in-english-2022.816/download

EB014013-8D2B-4CA9-AF54-BC55D81E3E86.png

Last year I used the Camino Ninja app, I have just bought a new iPhone and the Camino Ninja is no longer available on the Apple App Store. Does anybody know if the Camino Ninja App will be available later this year , if not I would like comments on an alternative app.
Many Thanks
Tony

The developer died in 2022 and it appears to have been withdrawn as an active app. There are other apps, I had Wise Pilgrim as a standby when I walked in 2023, and it seemed popular amongst people I was walking with. I tend to use Gronze and OSMAnd+, but WisePilgrim was useful when I did use it to check on details.

I loved Camino Ninja! I tried Wise Pilgrim but it wasn't as intuitive for me. Buen Camino is the closest app I found that is similar to Camino Ninja and it has some other cool features.

Last year I used the Camino Ninja app, I have just bought a new iPhone and the Camino Ninja is no longer available on the Apple App Store. Does anybody know if the Camino Ninja App will be available later this year , if not I would like comments on an alternative app.
Many Thanks
Tony
Tell me this isn’t true!!!! I LOVED Camino Ninja last year on the Primitivo. I am looking forward to it this year on the Frances. I was planning to buy a new iPhone this month so it is unlocked by the time I go in September. Is the app not backed up from your old phone so it transfers onto the new? My app still seems to be working.

The developer died in 2022 and it appears to have been withdrawn as an active app. There are other apps, I had Wise Pilgrim as a standby when I walked in 2023, and it seemed popular amongst people I was walking with. I tend to use Gronze and OSMAnd+, but WisePilgrim was useful when I did use it to check on details.
I am saddened to hear that the developer died.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The app still working on my old phone

Many Thanks
Tony
Since yesterday the Camino Ninja App is finally back in the app store at Apple:
https://apps.apple.com/de/app/camino-ninja-app/id1491232190

Android will follow soon.

I've just downloaded the app, so excited to use it. Curious, for those who already have it on their devices, does it show up in the alphabetical list of apps in your settings? It does not for me, though does show up in location settings.

does it show up in the alphabetical list of apps in your settings?

I have an iPhone and Camino Ninja does show up in the final listing of apps in Settings. I have to scroll a while to find that alphabetical listing, but when I do, Camino Ninja is there.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.