• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Norte Guide book

Peter Edge

Time of past OR future Camino
Walked the Frances April/May 2017, looking to walk the Norte March/April 2018
Looking to walk the Norte next year, and looking for recommendations on the best (English) guidebook.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
One of the authors is @Dave , our member. The book is available in the forum store here. And when you buy it from Ivar you (a) help keep the forum running and (b) get a free official pilgrims passport.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I walked the del Norte/Primitivo route in April/May 2016 and used the Dave Whitson guide exclusively. At first it was difficult to get used to after using the Brierley guide for the Frances as the route maps are not as detailed and there are no elevation ups and downs shown. BUT, once I got acclimated to the differences I fared well and appreciated the content very much. I never got lost, so it definately did its job! I highly recommend it for English speaking pilgrims.

Last edited:
and you can get the book electronically(eg Kindle). I used it 3 years ago. I am using it now while walking the Norte outside Bilbao

and you can get the book electronically(eg Kindle). I used it 3 years ago. I am using it now while walking the Norte outside Bilbao
Re the Kindle version - I had this on my iPad Mini, as well as carried the hard copy. When we lost the hardcopy along the way, I started using the Kindle version, and found the maps much easier to read on the Kindle, as I could expand them with my fingers.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
A totally revised edition was supposed to be published this past May. There have been some publishing complications and I don't know when it is expected to come out. From what Dave said this is a major rewrite, so it might make sense to wait for the new version if you can.

From what Dave said this is a major rewrite, so it might make sense to wait for the new version if you can.

Pleeeeease let there be elevation maps in the new edition. That is what I really missed. Sure, there are contour lines in the old maps, but it's not the same as seeing the actual ascents and descents up ahead.
Jill

Pleeeeease let there be elevation maps in the new edition. That is what I really missed. Sure, there are contour lines in the old maps, but it's not the same as seeing the actual ascents and descents up ahead.
Jill

For example? This photo was taken today outside Bilbao20170819_144310.jpg

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Just to add that another forum member, @wisepilgrim, is finishing up a Norte guide. October publication is expected, and you can pre-order it in Ivar's store. I've seen bits and pieces and expect it to be excellent.

https://www.santiagodecompostela.me...-to-the-northern-camino-from-irun-to-santiago

Thanks for the mention peregrina2000, indeed the book will be ready to ship at the end of September. The Northern Route is a complicated mess when trying to put into book form, but it's pretty much sorted out. Thank you also for posting all of your alternative route notes, it is good to have some corroborating evidence (and opinion) from somebody else who has recently walked it. Mentions of all currently known variations will be included.

And just for jsalt it will have some top shelf elevation profiles. And contour lines.

Most read last week in this forum

Mary Colwell’s new book The Gathering Place: A Winter Pilgrimage Through Changing Times. Why did it make the 2024 shortlist of the best travel books? Several of the books on the shortlist are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.