• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino norte here I come

Flory

Time of past OR future Camino
New
Not entirely new. I walked the camino from porto to santiago in 2017.
Then with a fiend.

I had to pospone a year. But I just got my trainticket for Irun on 14 september! I will go alone this time. 14 days . So excited and a little anxious. Oke a lot anxious.

Ultrea

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Then with a fiend.

I had to pospone a year. But I just got my trainticket for Irun on 14 september! I will go alone this time. 14 days . So excited and a little anxious. Oke a lot anxious.

Ultrea
Flory, you are in good company, anxiety-wise and excitement-wise as well. I think most all of us are more anxious than usual given global health challenges and, particularly, getting to and from the Camino from wherever we call home.
If all goes well, I'm starting from Irun a week before you, so it's doubtful our paths will cross.

Here's wishing you healthy, safe travels and a Buen Camino!

Then with a fiend.

Ultrea
Next year at this time I will start the Camino Norte and am excited for you and will watch for your input. Even tho' this will be my 4th venture (so far, 2 Frances, 1 Portugal), the Norte appeals to me greatly.
Buen Camino.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Next year at this time I will start the Camino Norte and am excited for you and will watch for your input. Even tho' this will be my 4th venture (so far, 2 Frances, 1 Portugal), the Norte appeals to me greatly.
Buen Camino.
You will love this Camino. In my mind it couldn't be more different than the CF or CP. But then again all caminos have their own unique personality. It is harder physically than then either of the other two. If you love the ocean I think you can safely say it is even more beautiful. I have no way to prove this but my impression after my Camino (pretty minuscule sample size) was that Pilgrims on the Norte seemed to be a little more independent in regards to not attaching themselves to "families" and preferring to either walk alone or briefly with other pilgrims. This is not to say they are not friendly, warm and giving. I met some wonderful people, especially young people. I just think they and I include myself prefer to walk this way.
I walked later in the year and after the turnoff for the Primitivo I barely met more than a few pilgrims until a few days before Sobrado. Which was fine with me also.
If I may offer a few suggestions. There is alot of information here regarding variants and GPS mapping to avoid some road walking and staying on the coast more. I am terrible with that but I did meet a few other pilgrims who let me tag along when they walked some of the variants and luckily I saw some spectacular scenery I may have missed.
Secondly if you can start a little later, after the tourist season ends I would think that you would find things in many of the towns along the coast mellower than you would in late summer. I have no idea when the change happens as I started in early October.
Have a great camino

Then with a fiend.

Ultrea
I did the Norte alone in 2017. Well at least the 1st 10 days without a partner. Then when I least expected I joined with some other kindreds and we walked together all the way to santiago. Enjoy your solitude while you have it. Buen camino

There is alot of information here regarding variants and GPS mapping to avoid some road walking and staying on the coast more. I am terrible with that but I did meet a few other pilgrims who let me tag along when they walked some of the variants and luckily I saw some spectacular scenery I may have missed.
Good thing to tag along with others and not miss the variants (Camino Verde is one). Joining up with the Camino Frances after the solitude of the Primitivo in Melide was a shock. By taking 1-2 variants you can join in Arzua or (better still) in Lavacolla. We missed the options right after Lugo. 😞

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Then with a fiend.

Ultrea
That is the route I hope to walk next year Covid and hip permitting.

Then with a fiend.

Ultrea
See you on the path. Same time frame

Then with a fiend.

Ultrea
Hi Flory. I began in Irun a few days back - it’s all good (and very hot....). The albergues in Irun are shut so you’ll need to find a pension if you’re overnighting there. Good luck, Nick
Then with a fiend.

Ultrea
hi Flory. I started in irun a few days ago - it’s all good (and very hot...). The albergues in irun are shut so you’ll need to find a pension if you’re overnighting there. Good luck. Nick

Hi Flory. I began in Irun a few days back - it’s all good (and very hot....). The albergues in Irun are shut so you’ll need to find a pension if you’re overnighting there. Good luck, Nick

hi Flory. I started in irun a few days ago - it’s all good (and very hot...). The albergues in irun are shut so you’ll need to find a pension if you’re overnighting there. Good luck. Nick
Thank you for the info. I have booked a pension for the night in Irun. Cab You tell me is it difficukt finding places to stay?

Good thing to tag along with others and not miss the variants (Camino Verde is one). Joining up with the Camino Frances after the solitude of the Primitivo in Melide was a shock. By taking 1-2 variants you can join in Arzua or (better still) in Lavacolla. We missed the options right after Lugo. 😞
I am only walking for 13 days . I have i very good file from this forum. Gps is not realy my thing. Nor reading maps for that matter. I just try to keep the ocean on my right ;-)

Thank you for the info. I have booked a pension for the night in Irun. Cab You tell me is it difficukt finding places to stay?
I booked a combination of places I contacted directly, Airbnb and booking.com. San Sebastián was busy (but will prob be less so for your dates), the rest was fine. Nick

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Then with a fiend.

Ultrea
Hi Flory, How has this stretch of the Norte been? I'm starting in Irun on Sept 25th. Any advice based on your experience so far? Keen to hear about accommodation options and route variants. Shame I missed you. Anyone else walking the Norte around my time?Cheers James

Hi Flory, How has this stretch of the Norte been? I'm starting in Irun on Sept 25th. Any advice based on your experience so far? Keen to hear about accommodation options and route variants. Shame I missed you. Anyone else walking the Norte around my time?Cheers James
Hi James, It has been/is great. Beautiful walks but not easy ones. The weather is not always great. The accomodations I find difficult. Have to reserve 2 or 3 day's ahaed only not in the big city's. It means you have to walk a certain amount on that day and sometime's you walk more or less than you really want. Especialy near deba, markina en gernika it was difficult to find space. I hope that it will be beter when I reach calabrie where the municipals are open. I used gronze.com to find places to stay. That works great. But i spend more money on places then I planded. But if I can do it everybody can. Just relax.

Hi James, I’ll be in Bilbao on Oct 1st (walking the Norte) which may coincide with your timing? Cheers, Kirsty (another Australian - guessing from your ‘handle)..

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi James, I’ll be in Bilbao on Oct 1st (walking the Norte) which may coincide with your timing? Cheers, Kirsty (another Australian - guessing from your ‘handle)..
Hi Kirsty, that sounds about right, i should arrive in Bilbao on the 1st. And, yes, Australian! Where r u starting? I wasn’t sure how many pilgrims would be en-route at this time. Hopefully we cross paths.

Hi, I will start at Irun at the same time

Hi, I will start at Irun at the same time
My 6 th day on Norte in guernica now. Having a bad time with closed albergues and full hostel albergue almost every evening . No beds available because I don’t have a phone to reserve . Very ‘ unCamino’.
Beautiful scenery. And wonderful meetings with locals. Great food. Had to skip a place yeasterday. No beds unless I want to pay 45 euros.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
My 6 th day on Norte in guernica now. Having a bad time with closed albergues and full hostel albergue almost every evening . No beds available because I don’t have a phone to reserve . Very ‘ unCamino’.
Beautiful scenery. And wonderful meetings with locals. Great food. Had to skip a place yeasterday. No beds unless I want to pay 45 euros.
Thinking of taking bus and doing the Camino frances instead for second time

Hi James, It has been/is great. Beautiful walks but not easy ones. The weather is not always great. The accomodations I find difficult. Have to reserve 2 or 3 day's ahaed only not in the big city's. It means you have to walk a certain amount on that day and sometime's you walk more or less than you really want. Especialy near deba, markina en gernika it was difficult to find space. I hope that it will be beter when I reach calabrie where the municipals are open. I used gronze.com to find places to stay. That works great. But i spend more money on places then I planded. But if I can do it everybody can. Just relax.
Totally true.

Totally try

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Totally true. Lots of rain but I have raincoat and punchoe . Enjoyed el monasterio.

Attachments

• 72B80125-C558-49DE-AABA-D54A2FFBECB4.jpeg
    72B80125-C558-49DE-AABA-D54A2FFBECB4.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 11
  • 2FF7F417-0FA4-4950-9C73-747C136F2C8C.jpeg
    2FF7F417-0FA4-4950-9C73-747C136F2C8C.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 11
  • 31DB63A0-9B67-400F-9F3E-9E32113AC0FE.jpeg
    31DB63A0-9B67-400F-9F3E-9E32113AC0FE.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 12
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
My wife and I will be passing through Irun on the Norte on September 25th as well! Must be a special day 😎. We’ve booked ahead which is completely foreign to us, but with the closed pilgrim albergues in the Basque region, it’s our only hope to be sure of finding two available beds. Walked from Biarritz and it’s been hot and humid, but looks like rain is on the way.

My wife and I will be passing through Irun on the Norte on September 25th as well! Must be a special day 😎. We’ve booked ahead which is completely foreign to us, but with the closed pilgrim albergues in the Basque region, it’s our only hope to be sure of finding two available beds. Walked from Biarritz and it’s been hot and humid, but looks like rain is on the way.
I might still be around on Saturday at Irun. Arrived today at night, super tired before even starting, so got a bit of a cold feet, considering getting a proper rest before setting out. I wasn’t planning on booking in advance but it seems it will have to be this way in Basque country, almost hotel prices.
Saw you guys are from Northern California, SF by any chance?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Always good to slow down a bit and stay healthy. The path isn’t going anywhere! Easy to find hostel beds in San Sebastián and Bilbao, but the in-between spots are hit-and-miss. Harder for us since we require two beds (and my wife isn’t going to sleep on the beach…😎)

Always good to slow down a bit and stay healthy. The path isn’t going anywhere! Easy to find hostel beds in San Sebastián and Bilbao, but the in-between spots are hit-and-miss. Harder for us since we require two beds (and my wife isn’t going to sleep on the beach…😎)
Resting myself after so much walking on asphalt my right foot inside is starting to hurt a bit under the strain. I am in Islares camping a wonderful place to rest go swimming after the tough roads from Onton to Castro urdialedBetter take the long route

Hope you get some relief from your ailing foot. I seem always to get one sort of foot ailment or another, but the Norte had a lot of hard surface walking, as advertised. With the hot weather of my first week walking I got the added bonus of a couple of blisters.
Just left the Norte after walking Irun to Villaviciosa and then on to Oviedo. Fortunately, I had a couple of short days before Villaviciosa, which helped.Walking the coastal variants also helped my feet though they made for more km. Spectacular views though. Walked as many beaches as I could as well. Here’s hoping for your fast recovery and an enjoyable walk.
Cheers and Buen Camino!

Resting myself after so much walking on asphalt my right foot inside is starting to hurt a bit under the strain. I am in Islares camping a wonderful place to rest go swimming after the tough roads from Onton to Castro urdialedBetter take the long route
Great albergue in onton with wonderful paella made by Maria (7 euros) supper by donations!!

Attachments

• 6A3ECA11-896D-4A24-AA16-10D0AD28243D.jpeg
    6A3ECA11-896D-4A24-AA16-10D0AD28243D.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 7
  • 141D07BB-83E5-40DD-AFE1-291543D60837.jpeg
    141D07BB-83E5-40DD-AFE1-291543D60837.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 6
  • F406451E-D61A-4E83-934B-FFC57288A343.jpeg
    F406451E-D61A-4E83-934B-FFC57288A343.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 8
Gorgeous beach. Resting my ailing foot ( not bad ) catching it before it gets bad. This camping closes sept 30 swimming eating great food

First day of the Norte down, Irun to San Sebastian. Ended up taking the high route followed by GR 121 route. Lovely weather for the walk, a few little showers in San Seb. What a city! It’s great to be back on the Camino!

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Walked Hondarribia to Pasajes de San Pedro. Thunderstorms cleared as we started walking and the it poured rain the moment we arrived at our room! 😎

Saw a pilgrim with a camo Tilley hat around 11:30 at Sanctuario Guadalupe (a wedding was starting). Tried to catch up with you to wish buen Camino since it’s probably someone from this site, but you left as we arrived. Until next time, Buen Camino!

You don't need a phone to reserve. You are posting here, so you obviously have some kind of internet connection that you can use to reserve a bed if you wish.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Yesterday I started way too late walking and went from Irun to Hondarribia then up the mountain to mount Jaizkibel, then it got dark, raining and many times I lost track of the path, but I kept pushing forward, until I saw a couple (more like angels) parked on a car on the peak of the mountain, I mean what are the chances, at around 22:00. So they offered me a lift and I went gladly, because up to that point I still had a long way down of the mountain.
To say that I am still exhausted after this mountain and carrying a 15 kg backpack through 15 km is an understatement.
I am just before Lezo and will walk till san Sebastian tomorrow, took the day off to sleep properly and not push my left knee that started hurting a little.
I must say I am a bit beaten, specially after getting blisters on both feet.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
To say that I am still exhausted after this mountain and carrying a 15 kg backpack through 15 km is an understatement.
I am just before Lezo and will walk till san Sebastian tomorrow, took the day off to sleep properly and not push my left knee that started hurting a little.
I must say I am a bit beaten, specially after getting blisters on both feet.
My goodness! Why is your pack so heavy? The weight is likely contributing to your blisters and knee pain.
If you can't eliminate a lot of that weight you might have to consider having your pack transported.

Seaseeker - OMG! What a crazy first day. Thank you for sharing the the good and the bad; it’s important that folks considering a Camino know it’s not all good times. Give yourself the grace to take your time and make mistakes. We often learn so much more from our difficulties than successes.

We are slightly ahead of you (Pasajes de San Pedro), so I’ll keep an eye out for you on the trail and in San Sebastián.

As suggested before, your pack really sounds too heavy (mine is 8kg and my wife’s 5.5kg), so definitely look at making it lighter. You can mail items ahead to Santiago or simply abandon gear at an albergue for future hikers. Shipping city to city really isn’t an option on the Norte.

Most importantly, though, take care of yourself first. Take the time you need. Buen Camino

Vacajoe
Why is not an option to ship city to city? I thought correo would do this?
I am considering that, will try to do that once in San Sebastian. We might catch up if I get rid of the pack

A selection of Camino Jewellery
My goodness! Why is your pack so heavy? The weight is likely contributing to your blisters and knee pain.
If you can't eliminate a lot of that weight you might have to consider having your pack transported.
I tried to remove as much a I could, but being in the ‘cold’ for me, I brought some stuff, since I am used to the extreme heat of Seville. But I will definitely look into the tranport option

. Shipping city to city really isn’t an option on the Norte.
Vacajoe
Why is not an option to ship city to city? I thought correo would do this?
I am considering that, will try to do that once in San Sebastian. We might catch up if I get rid of the pack
@seaseeker, yes Correos does pack transport on the Norte, but only until October 31st.

Issues with shipping bags: some of their pickup/dropoff points are closed to Covid, some albergues won’t accept shipped bags, some villages do not have pickup sites, and the service stops Oct 31. It’s not impossible, but it requires knowing which city you are stopping at when you book the service as well as you arriving in time to claim the bag where it gets dropped off.

@seaseeker I'm guessing you’re carrying a wetsuit and a surfboard, otherwise your pack is 5 - 8kg heavier than it needs to be for an autumn Norte. Good waterproofs and some layers are a given but on the coldest and wettest days your pack should be practically empty ‘cos you’re wearing it all.
Try, again, to reduce what you’re carrying. One set of clothes to wear, one set to change into. A spare set of underwear and socks if that gives you comfort. A sleeping bag, a towel and some basic 1st aid should cover your needs.

Buena suerte

I guess the fear of cold, and clothes for 3/4 days were excessive? I cannot pinpoint exactly where was the mistake, but I actually left clothes behind believe it or not @Tincatinker
At this point I guess I am hoping for a miracle, either I get stronger or I manage to arrange this pack transfer or the dreaded throwing the towel.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I guess the fear of cold, and clothes for 3/4 days were excessive? I cannot pinpoint exactly where was the mistake, but I actually left clothes behind believe it or not @Tincatinker
At this point I guess I am hoping for a miracle, either I get stronger or I manage to arrange this pack transfer or the dreaded throwing the towel.
Maybe if you could provide us with a list of what you have in your pack we could help you to decide what to send home or donate.
You only need two sets of clothes, adequate warm layers and rain gear for clothing.

@seaseeker even if you are not young, very fit and an experienced backpacker you can still have fun on Camino but you need to be nice to yourself. And that means keeping your pack weight down or shipping your excess. Check out with Correos what their current offer is.
Well I rested. Then walked to Laredo the long way. Stayed in Santoña and walk or try to Walk to Guemes. My foot has become worse because of so much road walking. Need to stop but don’t know where!!!! For my foot heal so I can resume walking. Any ideas. Hate to give up my Camino. My flight is not till November.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Well I rested. Then walked to Laredo the long way. Stayed in Santoña and walk or try to Walk to Guemes. My foot has become worse because of so much road walking. Need to stop but don’t know where!!!! For my foot heal so I can resume walking. Any ideas. Hate to give up my Camino. My flight is not till November.
I am sorry for your foot. I just finshed my camino in Santander. I didn't have more time. Yesterday I had a day off in Santander. The city is nice and has a big boulevard. You can eat lovely fish at the harbour and I had a wonderfull meal in the modern building near the harbour centrum Botin. There is also a very nice archiological and prehistoric museum I enjoyed vere much. May be Santander can be a reststop for you. The walk from guimes to santander is just 15 km and beautiful by the coast with not much hight differenced and a boot ride.

Dear World Walker,
I’m sorry to hear about your foot. I think Flory’s recommendation is a good one: get to Santander and rest for a couple of days. There are medical clinics there if you to have it looked at to make sure you aren’t doing lasting damage.
My experience with a foot injury on the camino was regular application of hielo (ice) and using anti-inflamatorys. There is a recommended combination use of Motrin and Tylenol my doctor suggested - and I did - but I think you’ll want to talk to your own doctor or pharmacist. Getting your foot looked at may be your best first course of action.
There is also topical ibuprofen (Voltaren…) that is easier on the stomach.
If your foot is up to it, there are plenty of things to do and see in the city center in Santander. There are also great transportation connections there if you want to sight see in surrounding areas. My experience has been that even my setbacks have presented little gifts and graces. I hope that might be true for you.
Here’s hoping your foot gets better soon!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.