• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Norte in mid May

Ember

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances, Camino Portuguese, Ekumenicher Pilgerweg
Hi everybody,

I plan to start my 4th Camino (this time alone) on 16th of May in San Sebastian. Anybody having the same or similar plans?

Thank you very much in advance!

Marian

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi everybody,

I plan to start my 4th Camino (this time alone) on 16th of May in San Sebastian. Anybody having the same or similar plans?

Marian

Does anyone have suggestions for albergues along el Norte?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Sue,

"Guemes" is one that most people would mention; in fact there's a thread about it:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/guemes-and-albergue-santa-cruz-in-bezana.25485/

Really a special place: when I was there the volunteers were a group of inmates working for Father Ernesto as a form of rehabilitation/ reintegration into the community (on sentences for non-violent crimes). Anyway it was a very humbling experience; at dinner one of them gave an emotional speech, telling us how all the pilgrims he had met over the preceding weeks had changed his life, and that the first thing he'd be doing as a free man would be to walk the camino!

Thank you for this link. I would appreciate knowing if there are any albergues or other pilgrim oriented places that stood out for folks along the way.

Gracias....
Sue

Hi, Sue, I haven't been on the Norte in a decade but am going back this year. I've been scrolling through lots of Norte blogs and posts on the forum and there are lots of good suggestions. Here are a few I have found (you can easily find comments by using the search function) --

Caborredondo (run by Alex, of Primitivo fame, who sold his albergue in Bodenaya and moved to the Norte)

Donativo in Pendueles, Ave de Paso. Also Alb. Castiellu

Casa Pricipado in Nueva

Marina's albergue in Vega de Ribadesella.

San Martin de Laspra

There are also lots of good suggestions on the forum about ways to get more coastal walking in your Norte (which frequently takes you off the coast). That will be a priority of mine, because I do remember lots of asphalt.

Buen camino, when are you starting?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Wow...I would love to spend time at Guemes, and perhaps share music (flute) there.

I really appreciate all of these suggestions. I am leaving in 2.5 weeks, starting off in SJDPP to experiences the Pyrenees and then heading up to Irun from Pamplona around the 21st of May.

Feeling "researched out," but this piece is very important...not making reservations, but letting it unfold!

When are you going back?
Sue

Wow...I would love to spend time at Guemes, and perhaps share music (flute) there.

I really appreciate all of these suggestions. I am leaving in 2.5 weeks, starting off in SJDPP to experiences the Pyrenees and then heading up to Irun from Pamplona around the 21st of May.

Feeling "researched out," but this piece is very important...not making reservations, but letting it unfold!

When are you going back?
Sue
I'll probably be a few days behind you, but maybe we'll meet up! I hope to start from Irun around May 24 or so. I'm going to start with the Baztán with a few camigas and will go from Bayonne to Pamplona, and then like you get a train or bus up to Irún.

Hi everybody,

Marian
Marian
I have just reached Guemes
Weather has been good today.
Sunny and mild. But I have had rain from Deba to Portugalete. There is more rain on the way. Track can be pretty muddy. It makes the descents pretty treacherous. Bring good wet weather gear.
Larry

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Marian
Sunny and mild. But I have had rain from Deba to Portugalete. There is more rain on the way. Track can be pretty muddy. It makes the descents pretty treacherous. Bring good wet weather gear.
Larry

Gaitors? I will be wearing Altra trail runners.

Buen Camino
Sue

I wouldn't worry about gaiters. But bring a hard brush for cleaning the mud off. As long as your boots are waterproof you will be okay.

These are
I wouldn't worry about gaiters. But bring a hard brush for cleaning the mud off. As long as your boots are waterproof you will be okay.

These are trail runners, not waterproof, with breathable mesh over top of foot!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hmmm
Getting them dry might be a problem.
I have Keen hiking boots.
They keep the wet out. They also support my ankles. But I am an old codger.
Your trail shoes would be much lighter.

Hmmm
Getting them dry might be a problem.
I have Keen hiking boots.
They keep the wet out. They also support my ankles. But I am an old codger.
Your trail shoes would be much lighter.

Word has it that they dry in a flash (well...in the sun, anyway :)) We shall see!

Marian
Larry

Thanks for this advice. I'll be setting off from Irun next week and was planning to wear trail shoes. I might switch to the boots that I wear when hiking at in the muddy Irish hills.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi everybody,

Marian
My plans are similar but it looks like I will be a few days behind you. Planning to leave Irun on the 18th of May. From the looks of your picture you appear young enough to move along at a pretty good clip. Unless you take rest days or stop to sightsee we probably won't cross paths.

Buen Camino!

My plans are similar but it looks like I will be a few days behind you. Planning to leave Irun on the 18th of May. From the looks of your picture you appear young enough to move along at a pretty good clip. Unless you take rest days or stop to sightsee we probably won't cross paths.

Buen Camino!

Which guide books would you recommend for El Norte? My friend told me that Brierley has a newly published guide for the Northern Routes.

Leaving very soon!

Which guide books would you recommend for El Norte? My friend told me that Brierley has a newly published guide for the Northern Routes.

Leaving very soon!
Sue, until IntrepidTraveler gets back, Cicerone is one of the main ones. I didn't know that Brierley did one, and would have liked to have seen it. One good thing about Cicerone's is that it gives detailed route explanations and most of the pilgrim-type accommodations. One of the bad things is that the maps are tiny and not very detailed, and there are no town maps like Brierley includes (not detailed either, but helpful and include the main things right on the Camino that you would need). I have Wise Pilgrim's apps for the Norte and the Primitivo, and have downloaded maps from maps.me to supplement the notes I've got and the Cicerone guide. You'll probably be a bit ahead of me. I leave the 16th and will spend time in Madrid before taking the train to Bilbao and then taking transport onward to Portugalete and Pobena to start there. Buen Camino to you, and maybe will see you on the way!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Leaving very soon!
Hi Sue - I have the Cicerone guide as well as the Wise Pilgrim app and the Buen Camino editorial app. Since at this point in time I don't have "on the ground" experience with any of them, I can't help you with which one is best.

Others on the forum have reported many times that they felt the German guide (in German) to be most helpful.

I was not aware that Brierly had a Norte version of his guide soon to come out.

Since we are both starting to walk really soon (like next week ), soon-to-be published will probably have to wait for next time.

Buen Camino

Hi everybody,

Marian
Marian, I'll be about a day ahead of you perhaps, but I'm older and likely much slower, so we might run across each other. Buen (soon) Camino to you! Beth

Dear all, thank you very much for your answers and recommendations. I am leaving tomorrow morning so I hope to meet some of you along the way. I wish you all Buen Camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Dear all, thank you very much for your answers and recommendations. I am leaving tomorrow morning so I hope to meet some of you along the way. I wish you all Buen Camino!
Safe journey, Marian.

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back