• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Norte November/December

caminoforme86

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances October 2013 - December 2013
Hi,

So I've still not managed to get rid of the itch since completing the Camino Frances in 2013, I've been doing some seasonal work to save up for another Camino and it seems like 2016 is the year for me to do another!

I did the Camino Frances November December and due to work commitments again November/December is the only time I am going to be able to begin another.

Has anyone or is anyone planning to do the Camino Norte in November/December??

Best wishes
Kathyrn

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Kathryn,

I am planning the Norte in October. I don't mind walking in cool weather but am wondering if I'll be the only pilgrim!

happy planning and buen camino!

Much of the accommodation along the Norte is extremely seasonal. Hence do check out what might be open (disponibilidad)
on a site like Gronze.com.

Happy planning and Buen camino!

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I walked del Norte last year at this time and had a great experience (weather and other pilgrims). It will be similar to the CF in that you have to check ahead about what is open but there are sufficient places to stay and other pilgrims to share the experience. However after Gijon it was very quiet. Gronze is a good resource.

Thank you so much for your replies already, I am so excited that I am finally back in the planning phases of another Camino, it feels wonderful. This time I am trying to get my boyfriend who didn't come with me on my first one to do it with me, but as per last time I'm not going to let him not coming with me stop me. :)

Been checking out that Gronze website, thank you Mspath and Federico. Mspath your advice and help on planning my last Camino was invaluable.

Kind regards
Kathryn

Kathryn - I walked the Camino Frances in 2013 too (Sep-Oct), then the Primitivo last year (Sep) with six friends (four of whom I'd met on the Camino Frances). This year I'm planning on walking the del Norte from Irun-Santiago with a friend in October-November. I'm also wondering about the cool weather, and whether my plans for travelling light this time were wise. I'm using the Gronze web site extensively for my planning, to the extent that I may even decide to dispense with a guide book.

Norelle - I'm starting off from Irun around 15 October, so perhaps we will bump into each other at some stage.

Regards, Brett

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Just checking in again if any others starting Norte mid November?

Don't mind it being quite, but would find comfort knowing other people are setting off similar time.

I'm still planning on starting in mid-October, but it does look as though it will be pretty quiet.

Just checking in again if any others starting Norte mid November?

Don't mind it being quite, but would find comfort knowing other people are setting off similar time.

Hi, I don’t think you will meet many pilgrims from mid-Nov onwards. That’s well into winter already. (I start from Irun on 9 Oct.) Jill

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Buen Camino Jill. I'll be 5 or 6 days behind you, starting in Irun on 14th/15th October, so depending on our respective speeds we may meet up along the way.

This time I am trying to get my boyfriend who didn't come with me on my first one to do it with me

Leave him behind! After two unsuccessful attempts of my husband joining me on camino we have realised it’s not for him. He is much happier tinkering with his old motorbikes in his workshop, and he now gives a cheerful wave goodbye each time I leave. Don’t let your boyfriend spoil your camino. Jill

Hi,

So I've still not managed to get rid of the itch since completing the Camino Frances in 2013, I've been doing some seasonal work to save up for another Camino and it seems like 2016 is the year for me to do another!

I did the Camino Frances November December and due to work commitments again November/December is the only time I am going to be able to begin another.

Best wishes
Kathyrn
Hi Kathryn
I am going to walk the north route from San Sebastian in
early October and wondering the same, might try to walk five days only.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hey you all!

I have created the thread for departures in the low season ( nov,dec and jan).

I have added Kathryn already.

I'd like to ask one of the moderators ( if possible) to pin the thread as I think will give a good idea on the amount of forum members walking the caminos during low season. It'll be an interesting comparison.
;):rolleyes:

Could anyone tag one of the moderators here? Bad memory makes me forget who is who sometimes.

Buen Camino you all! Ultreia and Soul SMile!

:D:rolleyes:;)

Hi, I don’t think you will meet many pilgrims from mid-Nov onwards. That’s well into winter already. (I start from Irun on 9 Oct.) Jill

Hi,

November is my only option to do the Camino in, I work seasonal and work until the 1st November, I then go to see the Cure (supported by an awesome Scottish band The Twilight Sad) twice in Switzerland and Germany and then the earliest I can start the Camino is 15th November as I am planning to walk to Bilbao to see them there also. So I won't be leaving Bilbao until around the 24th November.

Walking in the cold doesn't really bother me, walking in the wind doesn't really bother me, walking alone doesn't really bother me. I do want to feel safe however.

I'm in the planning stages of it, and checking which albergues will be open etc.

I hope to meet at least a few Pilgrilms. Its a real shame I can't start even a month earlier :(

Kathryn - I'd be interested in knowing how you discover which albergues will be open. I was just going to take my chances from mid-October to mid-November, but perhaps there's a better way?

Regards, Brett

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thank you Kanga. I've come across several mentions of the Eroski site, but not seen it until now. All the Spanish is a little scary at first, but lots of very useful information there. It looks like many if not most of the albergues will be closed by the time I leave in mid-October :-(

And once I figured that Google Translate will automatically translate the page into English in the Chrome browser on my tablet, that makes it even easier.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi,

Best wishes
Kathyrn

Hi,

The winter months see the smallest number of pilgrim on any camino and the Norte should be no exception! It would be interesting hear how many you meet. I've never done a "Winter" camino!

/BP

Hi,

The winter months see the smallest number of pilgrim on any camino and the Norte should be no exception! It would be interesting hear how many you meet. I've never done a "Winter" camino!

/BP

Hi thank you for your reply,

My first Camino was a Winter Camino but I was lucky with the weather and was around 15 days earlier in setting off, will see how it goes, going to start anyway. The Camino Frances did have a lot of traffic still, hoping there will at least be a few on the Norte. Will see, only time will tell.

The weather doesn't put me off, being from Scotland we are used to the cold, if it is anything like the Frances the mornings and evenings will have a chill to them but fingers crossed the afternoon Autumn sun will make an appearance.

I will very likely do the camino del Norte starting beginning November this year as I am freelance and know that my current work assignment finishes end of October. I am very ok with cooler weather (I have extremely flammable skin and can't stand all the faffing and stickiness with suncream in the hotter months) and don't mind the prospect of fewer people as I walked via de la plata last year and saw almost no one (March and April). I prefer fewer people and cooler weather and am not remotely worried about accommodation - I learnt not to be shy on vdlp and in some places had to ask staff in local bars or restaurants to pay for a couch and a shower each night so am fine to do the same again if places are closed on the Norte in November. Happy planning and buen camino

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Love your resilient spirit, Jagoca! I too prefer cooler brisker weather and loved the CF in October november last year. Could never walk in blistering heat. I do enjoy the balance of solitude and the chance to meet others but prefer quietness to crowds. Considering the CN also, off season. When do you think you will be leaving? Where will you start? not intruding but just interested in your thoughts!:)

Love your resilient spirit, Jagoca! I too prefer cooler brisker weather and loved the CF in October november last year. Could never walk in blistering heat. I do enjoy the balance of solitude and the chance to meet others but prefer quietness to crowds. Considering the CN also, off season. When do you think you will be leaving? Where will you start? not intruding but just interested in your thoughts!:)
Hi Pilgy, I need to check flights but plan is to start from Irun or as close to there as I can. If I have to miss a couple of stages and start a bit further in so that it works with getting there best from Basel (where I live), I can be ok with that as I will have a ~6 week time limit

I'm planning to start early Sep and give myself up to 3 months so I can enjoy the scenery. This will take me through to November by the time I get to Gijón and beyond. I have the same questions about accommodation as we get into November and not-so-warm weather clothing suggestions. Any tips appreciated.

Thank you
shyam

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I did a short trip from Irun to Bilbao back at the beginning of May and finding cafes and places to eat was a challenge. Ended up carrying emergency food to keep the energy levels up. Considering getting back to Bilbao late September and pushing on a bit further.

...Considering getting back to Bilbao late September and pushing on a bit further.

Thanks that is good to know. I’m starting from Irún around Sep 10th. There is so much info out there and yet it feels very unclear what I can expect starting this late. I’m thinking if that as a positive thing.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.