• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Norte or repeat Camino Frances

Elvis

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances April/May 2023
Primitivo Sept/Oct. 2022
I was all set to do Camino Del Norte end of March 2023 after doing The Frances and Primitivo in 2022. By chance ran into two random people at local coffee shop today and both have done all three of the above Caminos and both suggested if having to do it all over again they would not do the Norte but would repeat Frances and one has already done Frances three time and would do it every year mid to late April. when I asked why they both had similar answers. They both enjoyed Frances more. According to them both: More pilgrims, better infrastructure, camaraderie, Camino spirit, just more fun and enjoyable as both were solo travelers like me. Since I would be traveling to Paris --> Biarritz for both and can make easy transition to either. I will leave it for others on The Forum for valued advice and comments. Thanks for being my sounding board.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Sure, but it’s like ice cream: I love chocolate mint, but I like to try other flavors too! Norte is quieter, has less pilgrim support, and is tougher, but perhaps that is exactly why you should try it. Maybe it’ll appeal to you more than the CF or perhaps you’ll appreciate the CF that much more if the Norte isn’t your thing.

Personally, I found the portion of the Norte that I walked (Bayonne-Bilbao) to be incredibly beautiful and very rewarding. I wouldn’t walk it again, but I’m very glad that I walked it once.

I hear you! I was struggling with the same question while planning for a 2020 Camino, having done CF in 2018, and loving it. I had run into many people who had done several, but kept going back to the Frances. Asked if it didn’t get old, they said it was never the same walk—they might stay in 30 different towns, meet entirely different people, go at different time of year, and see things they had not noticed before. So instead of deciding one or the other, I realized I did NOT HAVE to choose! I planned to start on CN, walk for a week or two, then reassess. If I loved it, I would continue. If not, I could bus (something I had never considered doing before ;) straight down to the CF and continue on it. Alas, COVID put an end to any decision-making for me. But when I go back, I think my flexi-option will still be in play. Whatever you decide I’m sure it will be glorious!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I hear you! I was struggling with the same question while planning for a 2020 Camino, having done CF in 2018, and loving it. I had run into many people who had done several, but kept going back to the Frances. Asked if it didn’t get old, they said it was never the same walk—they might stay in 30 different towns, meet entirely different people, go at different time of year, and see things they had not noticed before. So instead of deciding one or the other, I realized I did NOT HAVE to choose! I planned to start on CN, walk for a week or two, then reassess. If I loved it, I would continue. If not, I could bus (something I had never considered doing before ;) straight down to the CF and continue on it. Alas, COVID put an end to any decision-making for me. But when I go back, I think my flexi-option will still be in play. Whatever you decide I’m sure it will be glorious!
Thank you for your input as I decide.

Sure, but it’s like ice cream: I love chocolate mint, but I like to try other flavors too! Norte is quieter, has less pilgrim support, and is tougher, but perhaps that is exactly why you should try it. Maybe it’ll appeal to you more than the CF or perhaps you’ll appreciate the CF that much more if the Norte isn’t your thing.

Personally, I found the portion of the Norte that I walked (Bayonne-Bilbao) to be incredibly beautiful and very rewarding. I wouldn’t walk it again, but I’m very glad that I walked it once.
Thank you.

Or start on one, try it and switch to another. There are so many caminos that they merge, cross over and link so you could be adventurous and try while never leaving a "camino"

This year I was able to combine the Norte with Muxia/Finisterre by crossing over the Ingles. So you do not need to do one at a time - unless you want a Compostella.

caminos_spain.jpg

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
You Have to decide what YOU want from your Camino.

The routes are different in many ways, particularly pilgrim infrastructure, number of pilgrims, degree of physical (and cultural) difficulty and so on.

I have walked many routes and have enjoyed most of them, but perhaps for different reasons. One of the routes I did not enjoy much has been loudly praised by many on this forum. So is this my problem (if indeed it is a problem)? Yes, of course it is ... if it is.

How can someone else decide for you what is best for you in this context?

Go on ... take a risk. You might be pleasantly surprised.

So you do not need to do one at a time - unless you want a Compostella.
You don't have to stay on one particular route all the way to receive a Compostela. All that matters is that you walk the last 100 km into Santiago on a route that is recognized by the Cathedral.

Having done the Frances in 21 and, this year, the Norte, I missed the pilgrim interaction, infrastructure, and churches were mostly closed unless it was service time. It was a very beautiful landscape and definitely more difficult, but I realized I was walking with intentions and desires that felt unmet on the Norte; the physical challenge is low on my list of priorities. I won't walk it again but would walk the Frances again. I would visit San Sebastian as a tourist but not as a pilgrim, the town is stunning.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I was all set to do Camino Del Norte end of March 2023 after doing The Frances and Primitivo in 2022. By chance ran into two random people at local coffee shop today and both have done all three of the above Caminos and both suggested if having to do it all over again they would not do the Norte but would repeat Frances and one has already done Frances three time and would do it every year mid to late April. when I asked why they both had similar answers. They both enjoyed Frances more. According to them both: More pilgrims, better infrastructure, camaraderie, Camino spirit, just more fun and enjoyable as both were solo travelers like me. Since I would be traveling to Paris --> Biarritz for both and can make easy transition to either. I will leave it for others on The Forum for valued advice and comments. Thanks for being my sounding board.
I myself have only done the Inglis , then end of March I did the Frances and must admit I really enjoyed it and wished it never ended , it took me 32 days plus a week off back home where I returned on arrival at Leon due to a swollen calf muscle which I believed was caused in the first 4 days of the walk which too me was the hardest day 1 and day 4 out of Pamplona , there were times I walked on my own and other days where I enjoyed the fellowship of others whether walking or meeting a bunch of them in a square in some town and joining in with the banter .. one thing I learned however was not to go too hard in trying to keep up with others ..the respect shown was great , even stayed at some pensions I found the staff were great too , oh I forgot cooking a meal together at the alberque was great , cannot fault any of it ..would I do it again ??? Of course I will , maybe after I finished the Camino from Porto where I be wild camping along the route .

Having done the Frances in 21 and, this year, the Norte, I missed the pilgrim interaction, infrastructure, and churches were mostly closed unless it was service time. It was a very beautiful landscape and definitely more difficult, but I realized I was walking with intentions and desires that felt unmet on the Norte; the physical challenge is low on my list of priorities. I won't walk it again but would walk the Frances again. I would visit San Sebastian as a tourist but not as a pilgrim, the town is stunning.
I was planning to do the Frances at the beginning of the year but because they closed the border with the uk due to covid I thought about the Norte and just before I was due to book my flight to Spain , the French opened its border to the British so I did not hesitate .. lovely time through April , getting up early going to the bakery at 6am for a pastry and coffee for breakfast with others I met enroute , the pilgrim menu in the evenings , and of course the stunning villages I passed through which all were so quiet hardly a soul was around .. I have to go back before I hang up my boots .

Or start on one, try it and switch to another. There are so many caminos that they merge, cross over and link so you could be adventurous and try while never leaving a "camino"

This year I was able to combine the Norte with Muxia/Finisterre by crossing over the Ingles. So you do not need to do one at a time - unless you want a Compostella.

View attachment 136154

Nice map! Where did you get it?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
You don't have to stay on one particular route all the way to receive a Compostela. All that matters is that you walk the last 100 km into Santiago on a route that is recognized by the Cathedral.
Thanks for the reminder of last 100 km.

I walked full Norte this September and the Frances in April 2019. They are lots of differences -

The Norte is quite a bit harder but has more beautiful scenery - both just in my opinion, beauty is a bit subjective isn't it
There is significantly more road walking on the Norte but there are lots of variants that can reduce this - I really enjoyed the ones I took
The Norte requires more planning each day as opportunities for food/refreshments and accommodation are often quite limited - not a huge problem but something to be aware of
There are way less pilgrims on the Norte. I found it quite a shock to rejoin the Frances and see so many after weeks of really quiet trails _ some days I would see less than 10 out on the trail although usually more than that on overnight locations.
In holiday seasons there are a lot of tourists in coastal towns which can mean accommodation is harder to find

Some similarities too:

Plenty of really nice albergues
Mostly well signposted trails but I would still advise using a map app
Reasonably priced food if not eating at accommodation

I guess it's really down to which aspects are most important to you. Both are great experiences

View attachment 136154

I say,

That's a colorful map. Where you get it??

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

I agree with the people you ran into. I am glad I did the Norte but it is not high up on my list of Caminos I want to walk again. But I think the Norte does offer a lot of pilgrims and camaraderie: I was surrounded by people most of the time, and a few times the albergues filled up so I had to carry on to the next town. This was already in 2011 (in summer. In March there might be less people walking).

/BP

I completed the Norte this Spring, having had to abandon it five years ago due to injury. The are plenty of excellent albergue, finding accommodation was never a problem for me, both times (after Easter). There were some days I didn't meet another pilgrim, save one little girl from Hong Kong traveling East, but that's not to say that there wasn't a pilgrim a half an hour behind or ahead of me. Some solo nights in the albergue, but as you leave in the morning there are pilgrims on the road. The industrial areas were difficult, but I was nursing a bad blister then, so not in good form. But, then you spend three days in Albergue la Reguera in Soto de Luiña with Elenon and her husband and off you go again with renewed vigour. El Norte is there, it must be done. It will challenge you, you will meet new friends and you will feel good standing in front of the cathedral. For myself, nothing will ever again come close to how my life changed that moment, on my first Camino, when I dropped to my knees under Cruz de Fero and let all my bottled up grief for my lost son go. I decended the mound into the arms of a man I had only met earlier that day and he held and supported me. So, Ed from Canada, if you ever get to read this. Thank you. After Ponferrada, Ed went to the monastery, I went on and we never met again. Do I need to go there again? No! But, I am drawn to the Camino. Different routes, challenges and always, great people. I have walked to Santiago four times now and seen very little religion on those four journeys, but, I found Christianity in ABUNDANCE around every corner and over every rise. When I read about the Via de la Plata, it was supposed to be a very 'quiet' Camino. There were heaps of pilgrims on it. Do the other Camino, do as many different routes as you are able. I intend to. The map and Pilgrim Passport I ordered from Ivar arrived today and I see on the Passport there's a Camino from Trondheim to Oslo, which I didn't know about. If it wasn't interesting enough, El Camino has just gotten even more interesting, six months or six years, interesting. As soon as you return from a Camino, pick another one and book the flight. It is my intention to again walk Via de la Plata in my seventieth year, but from Cordoba this time, if I am spared. Seek new things, places and people. Do El Norte in '23, Portugal in '24, Sevilla in '25 etc.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I completed the Norte this Spring, having had to abandon it five years ago due to injury. The are plenty of excellent albergue, finding accommodation was never a problem for me, both times (after Easter). There were some days I didn't meet another pilgrim, save one little girl from Hong Kong traveling East, but that's not to say that there wasn't a pilgrim a half an hour behind or ahead of me. Some solo nights in the albergue, but as you leave in the morning there are pilgrims on the road. The industrial areas were difficult, but I was nursing a bad blister then, so not in good form. But, then you spend three days in Albergue la Reguera in Soto de Luiña with Elenon and her husband and off you go again with renewed vigour. El Norte is there, it must be done. It will challenge you, you will meet new friends and you will feel good standing in front of the cathedral. For myself, nothing will ever again come close to how my life changed that moment, on my first Camino, when I dropped to my knees under Cruz de Fero and let all my bottled up grief for my lost son go. I decended the mound into the arms of a man I had only met earlier that day and he held and supported me. So, Ed from Canada, if you ever get to read this. Thank you. After Ponferrada, Ed went to the monastery, I went on and we never met again. Do I need to go there again? No! But, I am drawn to the Camino. Different routes, challenges and always, great people. I have walked to Santiago four times now and seen very little religion on those four journeys, but, I found Christianity in ABUNDANCE around every corner and over every rise. When I read about the Via de la Plata, it was supposed to be a very 'quiet' Camino. There were heaps of pilgrims on it. Do the other Camino, do as many different routes as you are able. I intend to. The map and Pilgrim Passport I ordered from Ivar arrived today and I see on the Passport there's a Camino from Trondheim to Oslo, which I didn't know about. If it wasn't interesting enough, El Camino has just gotten even more interesting, six months or six years, interesting. As soon as you return from a Camino, pick another one and book the flight. It is my intention to again walk Via de la Plata in my seventieth year, but from Cordoba this time, if I am spared. Seek new things, places and people. Do El Norte in '23, Portugal in '24, Sevilla in '25 etc.
Inspired by your experience. Thank you.🇨🇦

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello
I would weigh in with the u derstanding that I have only done the Norte but I did it with others who had done the Frances. I'm sure everything your coffee mates told you is totally true. But if you enjoy a bit of solitude amazing vista's of coast and tiny Pueblo for weeks loads of farms and animals then I can't think of a better camino than the Norte. Not sure how it is after covid meaning are there plenty of albergues open now? I do plan to do the Frances 1 day but for me the Norte is an amazingly beautiful walk with adequate infrastructure other pilgrims for sure but never crowded. Buen camino whichever you choose

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
My two cents: I did the Norte in the summer of '21, and there were plenty of pilgrims on it, and the only problem with infrastructure was albergues closed or at half-capacity because of Covid (which is not a problem now). In the summer, you are also competing with tourists for beds in the coastal towns, but that will not be a problem if you are walking in the spring. I am not sure what people mean by the "Camino spirit", but I found the Norte extremely beautiful and peaceful, with plenty of camaraderie, whereas the Frances was just a sh!tshow once the Norte joined with it. I did the Portuguese this year, and the Norte was much more beautiful (particularly the stretch from Irun to Bilbao) and enjoyable (but then I am not a big fan of crowds). The food in the Basque Country is also the best in Spain.

And if you find you don't like the Norte, you can always take the Camino Olvidado from Bilbao to Cacabelos to join the Frances (or take a bus to Burgos or some other town on the Frances).

Last edited:
I finished the Norte on 9 October and have no experience with other caminos. For me walking the Camino del Norte has been an amazing experience. I’ve had the best time of my life. It isn’t too hard like other pilgrims think. It is possible to adapt the stages to your own physical capabilities (I consider myself to be moderately fit) I loved it that the Camino wasn’t over crowded (for me the last 100K of the Camino was a culture shock which I didn’t particularly enjoy. I found it almost a carnival, so many souvenir stalls and stamp points, so many people and so much noise. Having said that, I already long for the next Camino. I am thinking of doing the Frances because of the historical value but I am also hesitant because I really do not want to walk in a parade of pilgrims. The primitivo also interests me but I am not sure whether I am capable enough for this Camino

I finished the Norte on 9 October and have no experience with other caminos. For me walking the Camino del Norte has been an amazing experience. I’ve had the best time of my life. It isn’t too hard like other pilgrims think. It is possible to adapt the stages to your own physical capabilities (I consider myself to be moderately fit) I loved it that the Camino wasn’t over crowded (for me the last 100K of the Camino was a culture shock which I didn’t particularly enjoy. I found it almost a carnival, so many souvenir stalls and stamp points, so many people and so much noise. Having said that, I already long for the next Camino. I am thinking of doing the Frances because of the historical value but I am also hesitant because I really do not want to walk in a parade of pilgrims. The primitivo also interests me but I am not sure whether I am capable enough for this Camino
How many days were you on The Norte?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I did the Norte to the Primitivo last year, and did not find the Primitivo difficult - in terms of ups and downs, the first week of the Norte was more work (though of course I was in much better shape by the time I got to the Primitivo.) The Primitivo also very beautiful, though not as beautiful for me as that first week from Irun to Bilbao.

How many days were you on The Norte?
32 days. I started in Bilbao so I skipped what apparently is the most challenging part of the Camino del Norte. Though I didn’t know that when I planned for the Camino, it wasn’t a conscious choice. It was convenient for me to travel to Bilbao and start there

32 days. I started in Bilbao so I skipped what apparently is the most challenging part of the Camino del Norte. Though I didn’t know that when I planned for the Camino, it wasn’t a conscious choice. It was convenient for me to travel to Bilbao and start there
Do The Frances it is only busy at the last 100 km. I really enjoyed it. If you can walk for 32 days you will be okay on The Primitivo as well. You will either one.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
If you do choose to go back to the Frances, consider starting in Somport and walking the Aragones; you’ll join the Frances at Obanos/Puenta la Reina. You’ll have more solitude on the Aragon, no bed crunches, beautiful scenery, and you’ll have added another camino route to your story.

My bias: I’ve never walked the Norte and confess it’s not even on my ‘someday’ list.

If you do choose to go back to the Frances, consider starting in Somport and walking the Aragones; you’ll join the Frances at Obanos/Puenta la Reina. You’ll have more solitude on the Aragon, no bed crunches, beautiful scenery, and you’ll have added another camino route to your story.

My bias: I’ve never walked the Norte and confess it’s not even on my ‘someday’ list.
Thanks for your advice! This really sounds good!

The del Norte is very beautiful and very challenging - I started in Irun July 5, 2019 and made it to Laredo on July 19. My experience was; it was hot and very humid. It cost more than the CF which I had walked twice before. Some stages are without a place to stop for the desirable cafe con leche. I took more rest days on del Norte. It's harder to fit in with other pilgrims as there is usually groups of two or three, I was solo. Tourists are the meat and potatoes to del Norte, not pilgrims. To say the least, I'm really glad for the experience but wouldn't do it again. Once I reached Castro Urdiales I knew my del Norte Camino was completo but I wasn't ready to go home. I put together a plan that I would continue to walk to Laredo, catch a bus to Santander, then a train to Fromista to finish what I had started back in April of 2016. It felt so good to be back on the CF. I've walked Fall, Spring and Summer. Perhaps there is a Winter Camino in my future and if so it will definitely be on the Frances.

Buen Camino which ever route you roam. :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The del Norte is very beautiful and very challenging - I started in Irun July 5, 2019 and made it to Laredo on July 19. My experience was; it was hot and very humid. It cost more than the CF which I had walked twice before. Some stages are without a place to stop for the desirable cafe con leche. I took more rest days on del Norte. It's harder to fit in with other pilgrims as there is usually groups of two or three, I was solo. Tourists are the meat and potatoes to del Norte, not pilgrims. To say the least, I'm really glad for the experience but wouldn't do it again. Once I reached Castro Urdiales I knew my del Norte Camino was completo but I wasn't ready to go home. I put together a plan that I would continue to walk to Laredo, catch a bus to Santander, then a train to Fromista to finish what I had started back in April of 2016. It felt so good to be back on the CF. I've walked Fall, Spring and Summer. Perhaps there is a Winter Camino in my future and if so it will definitely be on the Frances.

Buen Camino which ever route you roam. :)
Thanks for your valuable insight. I'm leaning towards a second Frances.

As someone who has had to postpone doing any of them twice, I'm not in a strong position to give you advice but it is fun for this rookie to see that what I call the "Camino Craziness"-- the back and forth in your mind of which route/when etc-- affects even the veterans.

I can't tell you how many times I've switched and changed my mind on things, even after supposedly settling on something.

One thing I will say, though, is that as you lean to swapping out the Norte for another CF based on comments of the folks you met at the coffee shop-- remember that if you do switch, at the end of it you will still not have done the Norte while they *have* done the Norte.

What I mean is-- It's easy for others who have already done something to say "other ones are better" but your reaction should be based on how important it is for you to do it, not how it might rank on other's lists.

To put it another way-- How important is it to you to do them all (meaning the main ones)?

If it is not important then just roll with whatever feels right for the time. But if it is important to tick them off your personal list, really consider how you will feel once you've accomplished that one.

The "parade of pilgrims" on the Frances is really only a feature of the last 100 km. Before that, there are plenty of opportunities to find solitude on the trail. All Camino routes have plenty to offer, but none of the others can match the historic value of the Frances (not that they don't have historic places of value themselves). The Frances also offers a number of ways to increase that solitude if one wishes, whether by changing the time of year or time of day one walks, or by shifting the start and end points of the day's walk to avoid the traditional stage points recommended by the most used guidebooks.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

I have been incredibly inspired by so many stories of loss, pain, diagnosis, or other stories that tug at my heart strings, but one pilgrim, since lost in the threads here, was an 83 year old man...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back