• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Norte Planning !!

Bob from L.A. !

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francis 2012, 2014, 2016. Camino Norte 2018
With the year ending in a few hours and the new one ready to begin I, like many, find myself looking back at the year past and looking forward to the new year ahead.
Having said that I just booked my flight to Biarritz to walk the Camino Norte in July 2018. (Stomach starts churning !!).

I wanted to ask if anyone here has walked from Biarritz to Irun and if so, was it worth doing or should I just consider a bus/taxi etc...?????? (Also was it well marked?).

...Though we pilgrims may be miles (Km's) apart we all share the same pulse...

Happy New Year to everyone on this Forum !!!!!!!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
i will be interested in all replies to this thread as the DEl Norte is on my radar screen for mid august 2018

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
i will be interested in all replies to this thread as the DEl Norte is on my radar screen for mid august 2018
me too!!

August is my plan as well, I’m curious as to weather at that time of the year on Norte.

From the Biarritz Airport there is an official Camino route...but there is a better tourist path along the shore...I am enclosing the maps so you can decide but I will in Biarritz in late August biking the tourist shore path.

Attachments

• 0) Biarritz Plan Touristique.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 28
  • 1) Bidart to St Jean de Luz.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 16
  • 2) Saint Jean de Luz to Hendaye.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 11
  • 3) Hondarribi to Pasaia.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 15
  • 4) Pasaia to San Sebastion.pdf
    4.2 MB · Views: 15
  • A) Bayonne to SJL.pdf
    660.2 KB · Views: 8
  • B) SJL to Hendaye.pdf
    587.7 KB · Views: 10
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thank you Kurt5280. That, along with Google Maps, is/was exactly what I was looking for.

A bunch of us walked the Camino Baztán this past summer, starting from Bayonne. Some of us met up in Irún and walked some of the stretch you are talking about. We went from Irún to St. Jean de Luz as a nice 15 km warm-up and then took the bus into Bayonne. St. Jean is about the halfway point to Biarritz, I think, so you have a good choice of two short days or one 30 km day. The part we walked was well marked and obvious, some of it along the road, but very nice views. If you do a search with Biarritz and Irun in the box you will find that lots of people have done this and can get a lot of info. Buen camino, Laurie

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...om-biarritz-to-irun-has-anyone-done-it.31924/

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I am thinking of starting in late August, early September
Personally I think September is a better time. I dud the Norte last late September and into October. The weathe was near perfect with daily temps in the mid twenties yes we had some rain hiwever on the Norte it rains most seasons.

"SOME RAIN" interesting..i wonder how much is some. I'm dressing for the worst. Any equipment ideas. I had a pancho on the Frances last year and even a short wearing yielded soaked clothing not from leaks but from persipration.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Is there such a thing as a packing list explicitly for the Norte ?????

Is there such a thing as a packing list explicitly for the Norte ?????
Packing list for the Norte will be exactly the same as for any other Spanish Camino during April to late Octoberish. Different packing list only for winter Caminos and perhaps leaving the rain gear behind if walking VDLP in summer.

As for rain on the Norte in summer time, let’s not forget that the Spanish norther coast gets invaded by tourists heading to the beach with their bathing suits. It may rain, but it’s still a resort/summer vacation destination.

I'll be a bit behind some of you. I've just booked to arrive in Paris on Sep 3 and will take the train later that day or the next morning to Hendaye France and walk into Irun to start. Gave myself six weeks so I can have the luxury of exploring more interesting places along the Way.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I am interested too, as I have booked my flight on May 4.

Buen Camino all we leave Hondarribi August 23... our fourth Camino but first Norte...I’m a excited but also a bit nervous about this one.

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.